Glucose test - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 38 Old 11-25-2008, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have actually heard that abstaining from sugar entirely the day of/ day before can cause a blood sugar "rebound" effect. The best bet is to just eat normally, but not swing to any extremes before testing. And consider asking to do the 50g carbohydrate load test, which is adapted from ACOG standards, so even conventional obstetricians shouldn't dismiss it completely out of hand (and if they do, ask why).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 11-25-2008, 10:53 PM

Well, I ended up eating a normal breakfast (eggs and soy bacon, with OJ) around 9 or 10, and ate a cheese/peanut butter cracker before drinking one and a third sodas (roughly 50g of sugar in the sodas) at 1:00.

The results weren't in this morning when I called, and I forgot to call back until after they were closed. So I'll call tomorrow.

I'm assuming if the results were really bad, they'd have called me.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#33 of 38 Old 11-25-2008, 11:23 PM

Hope your results are good, nighten!

I'm dreading having more blood drawn. This time I'm going to look at the tech's tag a little closer. The other day said, "student"...and she took an extra (large!) vial accidentally AND it hurt quite a bit the whole time (8 tubes total!). And, I let dd come watch, so I didn't indulge in any more than, "could you move it to the right just a little?", though I wanted to make her try again because it was obviously NOT a good stick...but the blood came out and we were done.

Thanks for the "eat normal" tip. I'll remember that. It's funny because some days I know I eat a ridiculous amount of sugar, and other days I don't eat any, and have no desire for any. I think it is directly dependant on how busy I am and how sick I feel. The sicker and busier equals more sugar...

Anyone else still have to do the test?

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#34 of 38 Old 11-26-2008, 08:53 PM

I finally went and did my test this morning. Not as bad as I was expecting it to be. The stuff wasn't bad. I got orange and it tasted like flat orange soda. I really hate needles and all the bloodwork for pregnancy has been far from fun, but this is the last needle that pokes me until we test for Group Strep B towards the end.

I'll get my results next week, but I felt totally fine after the drink and the test so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#35 of 38 Old 11-27-2008, 01:53 AM

No clue what the number was (the nurse just left a message) but I passed the test! :-)

I'm very relieved.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#36 of 38 Old 11-28-2008, 09:14 PM
k13

Here's an interesting link I found to an article called:
"New Recommendations for Gestational Diabetes Testing: There is not one right way to test for GDM."

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/glucos...e/a/gttest.htm

My midwife didn't seem to think I needed to do it if I didn't want to, even though I'm "older" (35) I've had two healthy pregnancies, no family history etc.
#37 of 38 Old 11-30-2008, 04:13 AM

Is everyone else getting tested?

My American MD says that he doesn't test for GD routinely anymore, and this is my second pregnancy with a Japanese doctor and I know he said he would be checking my glucose at the last blood draw, but didn't have me fast or drink anything special before hand.

I do remember drinking the glucose for my first, and I likedit :
#38 of 38 Old 12-01-2008, 04:30 PM

Glad you passed nighten! I was going to suggest to eat as you normally for breakfast but to eat lunch on the early side and watch how much sugar you eat for lunch.

sara - I like the drink too. I just don't like how it makes me feel sometimes!

Just1 - I still need to take my second 3 hour test, which I'll do in one week since that's the only time I could get a babysitter. I skip the one hour and did the 3 hour at 14 weeks pg as well. However, my EDD is technically March 5, so I'm behind in weeks from most of you here. (I'm high risk and repeat c-section though so the baby is definately coming in Feb, which is why I visit both boards).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page