Questions to ask doula - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-17-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are meeting with a doula on Wednesday. I am having a homebirth. I don't really know what I need from her but would like some extra support. What questions should I ask her? What information should I give her?

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#2 of 3 Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 PM

- What do you do? Most will say "massage, moral support, talk you through the tough parts, suggest positions," that sort of thing. Make sure it sounds useful to you. Watch out if she simply says "whatever you need me to do" and can't elaborate.

- What do you see as your role in a homebirth? A lot of doulas specialize in being your advocate against the big bad OB in the hospital. Make sure she's comfortable with a non-adversarial role with your MW. Also, ask her if she's worked with your MW before and how it went, and ask your MW about her.

- What's in your package? Any pre-birth or post-birth visits?

- Do you do nursing support? Do you have experience with moms having trouble nursing at first? what do you do in those cases?

- Do you help clean up?

- What is DH's role in labor & birth? My doula told DH what to do and let him do everything, to the point where I got the impression that she did nothing the whole time. Make sure she's willing to support your DH to play as big or small a role as he wants.

Tell her what kind of a birth you want. Be as specific as you can. Give her a good sense of who you are and what you want. Make sure she loves everything you tell her and is completely down with it.

Good luck!
#3 of 3 Old 11-17-2008, 05:50 PM

here are some FAQ that my mom has on her website that people often ask her...she's a doula.

http://www.alaboroflove.org/faqs.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page