Anyone getting SPD? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 12-16-2008, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay the "crotch pain" (SPD?) as I'm calling it has gotten to the point where it hurts to walk. I went to the midwife last Thursday. She told me to wear a maternity belt and take tylenol before bed. I've been wearing the maternity belt which seems to help some with muscle pain, but the tylenol did nothing. A warm bath helps some, but how long can you really sit in the tub? Chiros and Acupuncture aren't really options, because I can't afford to use my leave before Baby arrives.

So what else is there? Its gotten to the point where I can't get any exercise--squats are definitely out and I can't even do kegels without causing myself pain. Is this normal? The midwife didn't seem concerned, but it HURTS....

#32 of 46 Old 12-16-2008, 04:08 PM

My pain isn't THAT bad but... had a thought about the warm bath helping. I *think* some company makes instant heat packs. What about wearing one in your underpants? I think Shaq was promoting some company that made heated pads for back pain... maybe that could work for the crotch?
#33 of 46 Old 12-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

I have to second the neck cracking being bliss! I was scared too but I usually leave feeling like I"m walking on a cloud. My chiro is seeing me for SPD and he does crack my neck. I think the whole spinal column needs to be adjusted to make a difference. But, tell him you're worried about the neck thing and he can explain and make you feel better.

The only thing that has helped with my SPD is taking it really, really easy. I'm working from home so I stay in bed all day proped up with pillows. This took the pain from unbearable, impossible to walk to more like soreness. My goal is to baby the pain for the next 8 weeks so that it will have little impact on delivery.
#34 of 46 Old 12-16-2008, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I am so bummed. I called a chiro and he won't see me b/c I can't have x-rays. He felt it was too big of a risk. I am assuming that they are all going to say that. Oh well.

I have been trying to take it easy, but it so hard. I have a 20 month old daughter.... I have stopped picking her up for the most part, and that has helped a lot.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#35 of 46 Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 PM

I highly doubt they're all going to say that. In fact, most chiros are perfectly willing to take pregnant women. Never met one who wasn't, actually. That's weird.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#36 of 46 Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned

Yeah that's someone you don't want to see anyways. Chiros should be well versed in serving pregnant women. My office "specializes" in it. That's crazy. Keep calling around or ask in your tribal area if anyone can recommend someone.
#37 of 46 Old 12-17-2008, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Lots of chiros will see you without x-rays. In fact, a chiropractor shouldn't HAVE to rely on x-rays-- it's a sign they don't know what they're doing that much. I mean, an x-ray is helpful and can be a great tool, but it's not 100% necessary. My chiro started seeing me when I was pregnant, no x-rays, no problems. My previous chiropractor almost never did x-rays for anyone (he was older and very experienced.)

For those who are asking for more tips, I suggest gentle stretching if you can (I know sometimes it hurts too much, in which case, don't, but if you CAN stretch it might help it from getting much worse) and also GET REALLY GOOD SHOES. You know, supportive, non-heels, fit well. I was very skeptical that this would ehlp out that much, but that's what my chiropractor advised, and it's the only thing I've been doing differently that I know of that could have made the pain go away. My hip/pelvic pain has been totally gone for at least a week now I think! Maybe longer-- I lose track of time . . .

Oh, try for good posture, too. When you're in pain and limping, that can be hard though!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#38 of 46 Old 12-18-2008, 10:44 AM

Thank you so much for the recommendation to move with your knees together!! I've been moaning and groaning so much every time I have to get out of the couch and especially every time I need to turn over at night. Now when I wake up to turn over I bring my knees together and it helps so much!!

Apparently though I'm still moaning and grunting in my sleep, so my poor DH hasn't had any good sleep for a week now. He might end up having to sleep on the couch if we don't find a solution!!

I'm still hobbling around everywhere I go it seems, it gets better for a little while here and there for no apparent reason. I'm used to taking really long strides and walking quickly so this is really hard for me to get used to.

I read somewhere that pelvic floor exercises, Kegels basically, can be helpful with this sort of thing if you are able to do them so I'm starting to do those. Also Kegels are supposed to help with birth.
#39 of 46 Old 01-06-2009, 07:34 PM

I, too, am suffering from this terrible pain. It started right before Thanksgiving, so luckily it isn't too bad now. I've gone to see a chiropractor who seems very knowledgeable and nice, and I felt really good after the first app't. After the second app't, though, I felt much worse in that it seems to have triggered my sciatica. Of even more concern to me, is that since the second app't, my baby is hanging out often (not always) in a posterior position. I'm going to talk to my midwife about this tonight and discuss it with the chiro when I see her tomorrow, but I hope I can get rid of the pain and get the baby back into a consistent anterior position.

By the way, my midwife told me that the SPD often makes for a faster (though not necessarily easier) labor because you are already so relaxed and open in the pelvic area.

Also, no chiropractor I've ever seen has done an x-ray on me. If you're in an area where there are multiple practitioners, call around and see what your options are.
#40 of 46 Old 01-06-2009, 08:50 PM

My pain has gotten worse. I started wearing my special insoles (I used to use it only when I went running) and that's not helping. I've increased my Kegeling and that's still not helping. Now I'm drinking some pregnancy tea, hoping that might help. I thought I was handling this pretty well but apparently, according to DH, I'm crying in my sleep. Only a couple more weeks of pain, right??? I've started saying my "love mound" hurts....it makes me laugh. need to find the humor somewhere!
#41 of 46 Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 PM

Late here in chiming in but I also have this pelvic pain.

My pain is in front versus the hips. It also comes and goes but doesn't sound nearly as bad as some of you gals.

I guess I should be thankful but I still can't help being cranky about it.
#42 of 46 Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 PM

Never mind!

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!
#43 of 46 Old 01-07-2009, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I went to a chiro finally and it seemed to help at first... but then after my second appt. my "sciatica" (I don't know if that is what it is or not) seemed to get worse. I'm not going to go back. It isn't worth the money. I'll just ride this out for the rest of the pregnancy- at least I'm closing in on the finish!

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#44 of 46 Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 AM

I've had this problem for awhile, it's improved during the day, so I can walk without wincing, just not too fast anymore. I miss my long legged fast stride. Anyhow, at night it's been keeping me up. My hips hurt on both sides, forcing me to keep turning over to relieve one side or the other at a time, and when i turn over I have this horrible pain in the joint at the very front center of my pelvic bone. It was interrupting my sleep so much, as well as DH's, that I finally gave in and took tylenol, two tablets of 325 mg. It doesn't last all night, but it last long enough for me to get some quality rest. I figure the baby needs me to sleep. My OB suggest tylenol pm, and if that didn't work benadryl, but those sound excessive to me.
#45 of 46 Old 01-08-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird9 View Post
...when i turn over I have this horrible pain in the joint at the very front center of my pelvic bone.
I don't know if I posted this already or not, but someone here recommended that I wear really comfortable shoes instead of the heels I've been wearing to work every day. I've done it for two days now and the pain is getting more manageable...I don't know if it would work for the sciatica, but for the "crotch pain" it seems to help...

But I'm right there with you. Sleeping at night is the worst!

#46 of 46 Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 PM

justKate That's good that it's improving for you! I had it pretty bad during the day for awhile, it would hurt with every step, but then it just seemed to get better. I think sitting in my couch makes it worse. So if I move around and sit up straight it tends to help during the day. Nothing helps at night so far except tylenol. Really would rather not be taking it. I'm going to try to be good about doing pregnancy yoga, maybe that will help.

I keep telling myself it will only be a few more weeks till I get to sleep again. Because even if the kid wakes me up, and I have to sleep in fits and spurts, at least when I sleep it will be real sleep. If that's not the case don't tell me otherwise!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page