Anyone getting SPD? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had to look this up (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction), because I've never experienced it with a pregnancy before, but I think I've got to face that that's probably what's going on with me here. Anyone want to know WHY I've been on MDC SO much the last few days? Because it hurts to move! I hobble around the house trying to get stuff done and then wind up collapsing at the computer again. It hurts to walk, sit down, get up, turn over in bed, etc, etc. The pain is in my hips, more in one side I think. Just sitting down doesn't hurt too much, though. I didn't know what it was at first because I've never experienced this before.

Anyone know any natural cures? Anyone want to commiserate? :

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#2 of 46 Old 11-17-2008, 09:36 PM

I have been dealing with that since about 18 or 19 weeks, I don't know why I'm having it this time or why it started so early but it's awful! I find sitting at the computer even worse, I think I need a better chair at the desk. I also find getting in and out of the car to be really painful, walking up the stairs, separating my legs to put a pillow between my knees, etc. When I was pregnant with DD I never had this and was able to walk normally throughout my pregnancy, this time I walk so slowly that it is driving me crazy! I can't walk faster b/c it hurts but I usually walk pretty quickly so this is really frustrating me when I can't even keep up with my 3.5 yr old DD. Anyway, I haven't found anything that helps and even when I've looked it up everyone says something different so I haven't really tried much except to avoid doing things that make it worse as much as possible. I hope you find something that helps you!
#3 of 46 Old 11-17-2008, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie193 View Post
I also find getting in and out of the car to be really painful...
Oh, isn't that the worst??? Oh well . . .

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#4 of 46 Old 11-17-2008, 10:43 PM

Yes, I too have been experiencing this on and off for the past couple months. I had no issues with it last pregnancy either (even with carrying the twins). What it feels like for me, and what I've read it actually is, is my pubic bone actually separating--right in front it's like I can feel it pulling apart. My natural instinct is to want to hold my crotch . My SIL had a pretty severe case of this and she said the key is to try to do things symetrically with your legs, so get off the couch by placing both feet on the floor then standing. Getting in/out of the car you would turn and sit first then swing your legs in. Sit down to put on socks and pants, etc. I'm not sure why but the pain comes and goes for me, some days I hobble all day and wince with every step and others, nothing. ? I don't know if it's a certain position the baby gets into that aggravates it or if it is just my body gradually opening. So, at least we're not alone. LTB, what does your chiro say about it? I have found some yoga poses that relieve some of the aching mainly by taking weight off the area and/or allowing the baby to reposition, like hands and knees, cat/dog pose.

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
#5 of 46 Old 11-17-2008, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovermom View Post
LTB, what does your chiro say about it? I have found some yoga poses that relieve some of the aching mainly by taking weight off the area and/or allowing the baby to reposition, like hands and knees, cat/dog pose.
I haven't brought it up yet, but I definitely will this week. Last time I went to the chiro it had just started up and I thought it was just a random pinched nerve or something. The adjustment helped some-- I was truly limping before!-- but it didn't make it go away completely. It has kind of come and gone since then. It will be interesting to see what she says next time.

#6 of 46 Old 11-17-2008, 11:39 PM

Ooh me!

My insurance doesn't cover a chiro and we can't pay out of pocket. So I'm stuck dealing with it and hurting all the time.
#7 of 46 Old 11-17-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Awwww. I'm sorry. If I get any good tips from my chiro I will definitely pass them on!

#8 of 46 Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I just posted this on the chat thread, but here's something that seems to be helping: SIL gave me a hand-me-down preganancy support belt (pretty basic kind, they usually go for about $40 at medical supply stores) and it helps so much!! Somehow it seems to take some weight off of my pelvis, in a good way, and it helps me have better posture. I'll let you all know how it feels by the end of the day. Right now I feel like this: : Hehe.

#9 of 46 Old 11-18-2008, 12:40 PM

Wow, those belts help with this? Maybe I will try one. I also am hobbling around, whereas in my last pregnancy I walked normally for much much longer. Yesterday I had such a pain in the big tendon on the right side of my groin, I truly found it an effort just to get up from sitting. I wondered if it was sciatica, but that's more of a shooting pain, right?
#10 of 46 Old 11-18-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I just had to take the belt off because it was itching like crazy!!! : But I will try putting it on again when I need to be up and about. I was wearing it over a light layer of cloth, too, not against the skin, but the itchy thing was that it was making indentations in my skin under my belly and my belly is itchy and sensitive already right now!

#11 of 46 Old 11-18-2008, 12:56 PM

Wow, it didn't even last you two hours. That's too bad.
#12 of 46 Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid View Post
Wow, it didn't even last you two hours. That's too bad.
I know. :

Maybe it is too small and too tight? I don't know, I thought they only came in two sizes, Small/Medium and Large, and since I'm petite I figured the smaller size should be perfect . . . I don't know.

#13 of 46 Old 11-18-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid View Post
Yesterday I had such a pain in the big tendon on the right side of my groin, I truly found it an effort just to get up from sitting.
This is where my biggest pain is, and squats seem to be helping temporarily (between each class I teach, I run to the corner and do a few, thankfully no one can see! ) . I've had the general crotch pain for the last month, I'm really tired of walking slow. Its the only thing slowing me down, and I'm sick of it. I'll try the belly belt again, but it didn't seem to help that pressure before.

Please post if the chiro helps. I haven't been, but would consider going if it will help me speed up. I feel like an old lady hobbling to help students and chase my kids! :
#14 of 46 Old 11-18-2008, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I'm not sure that I have SPD, but I know my pelvic floor hurts like crazy when I walk or turn over in bed. It's worse at night whenI have been laying down for awhile. Hard to explain, but it's enough to practically bring me to my knees sometimes. I walk like a freaking 95 year old woman sometimes.

I didn't have this problem before... but I had other, much worse problems before, so I try not to complain about it. That's getting harder though....

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mommy to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), and two angel babies. 

#15 of 46 Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 PM

I had SPD my last pregnancy and have had it this time intermittently. I am so sorry for those of you mamas who are struggling through it!

Basically, it's hormonal but there are some things you can do physically that can help relieve the pain:

- Keep your knees together - especially when doing things like getting in/out of bed and the car.

- Wear flat shoes.

- A "maternity belt" will also help but you might have to play around with the exact positioning. I know for me the wider the belt the more comfy it was.

- Sit down when taking your pants on/off.

- Avoid picking anything heavier than 20 lbs. up.

- Do not kick/slide your shoes off with by pushing on the heel of one foot with the toes of the other.

Warm/cold compresses also helped me and I switched to swimming for exercise just because the weightlesness in the pool felt so good!

Not that I want to scare you all but I will say that my SPD continued the last time until I stopped nursing. It was a bummer for sure but something to be aware of so you don't freak out if it happens. Eventually things got back to feeling "normal" again.
#16 of 46 Old 11-18-2008, 10:36 PM

I basically couldn't move from 28-32 weeks with ds2, then it got a lot better for no apparent reason. I seem to be heading in that direction again. Trying to find a decent chiro we can afford, because I'm certain at least part of my problem is that my hips have been 'out' for years.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#17 of 46 Old 11-18-2008, 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=MNSunshine;1263707
Not that I want to scare you all but I will say that my SPD continued the last time until I stopped nursing. [/QUOTE]

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
#18 of 46 Old 11-19-2008, 02:51 AM

Man, I have been feeling this big time the last few days. Today it seems worse. I'm going to try some ice on it I think. I was told to try this occupational therapist in town so I have an appt w/ her on Friday. My dr wrote a prescription for me so that insurance would cover it. She said if that didn't work there were other things to try so just to let her know. I'll let you know how it goes Friday.

I have a two day meeting starting tomorrow so I know that I'm going to be in pain big time come Friday. Sitting is really hard for me. I've started using an excercise ball at work. I'm going to take it into the mtg to sit on I think. Don't care if I look silly!

I think that if I could stay in cat/dog pose all day I might be OK. not sure how practical that is!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#19 of 46 Old 11-19-2008, 03:20 PM

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm

This might help. I need to reread it to see if there's something I'm missing. I didn't have this till my 2nd pgcy, then again w/ the 3rd (worse iirc) and now it's back and even worse it seems. Sigh. My DH did just give me a pelvic? massage, just rubbed right there at my panty line and while it didn't feel different when I was laying down, I felt a lot better when I got up! We'll be doing that some more. I cry at least once a day from the pain and can't wait to get this baby out b/c of that! Mine was a lot better right after giving birth last time,m w/ just a few pangs here and there for a month maybe afterwards and then I was fine again. Thankfully mine seems to resolve quickly.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#20 of 46 Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Ouch, ladies. I'm right here with you all.

My discomfort began 5 days ago, and I thought it was because I overexerted myself exercising. First it was achey in my hip flexor region, but now it's progressed to the entire pelvic area and even a bit in the sacrum.

My friend said that when she experienced similar pain in her pregnancy she would visualize a flower opening (you know, just like a labor visual). I've been trying to embrace the discomfort by accepting it as my amazing body shifting and expanding to prepare for birth. (Although when I'm hunched over like an 80 year old hobbling around the kitchen it's a bit hard to be so peaceful about it.)

I've decided to avoid yoga class today and just do the specific yoga & ballet stretches that give me relief here at home. I think different stretches will work for each of us, but I feel best in a deep & wide squat (2nd position plie) which I gently rock and roll around in.

Oh, and relaxing in a warm bath helps tremendously! I wish I had access to a swimming pool.... That sounds like heaven.
#21 of 46 Old 12-09-2008, 04:31 PM

If anyone has access to a physical therapist they have tons of wonderful suggestions for exercises to stabilize your pelvis. My SI (sacro-iliac) joint is loose and just doing a few exercises in one day made the ouch go away completely. I cheat as my mother is a PT but someone might try asking. I can't remember what my mom's suggestions for pubic pain was, but I'll ask again.

homesteading, homeschooling,homebirthing wife to an amazing Catholic man, and mother to our two little girls :01/09 and 07/11
#22 of 46 Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 PM

I'm wondering if I have this! My pubic area feels like it was used as a wishbone! It hurts to stand if I've been sitting for awhile and my back hurts a lot. I haven't tried a warm compress yet. If I rub my back, that usually helps while I am rubbing but the pain is still there. Holding my belly while I walk seems to help but I haven't been able to find a good position with the maternity belt yet.... every position makes me want to pee!
#23 of 46 Old 12-09-2008, 10:28 PM

I've got it SOOO bad. That combined with my sciatica, I am hobbling around like an old lady. The next 9 weeks are going to be fun!
#24 of 46 Old 12-09-2008, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Has anyone ever given birth with this problem? How did it effect the labor and delivery?

I am seriously considering going to a chiro. for the first time ever. Do they have to crack your neck, or can they skip it... I am scared of having my neck cracked....

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mommy to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), and two angel babies. 

#25 of 46 Old 12-09-2008, 11:35 PM

I had SPD with my daughter and I almost had a precipitous labor her birth was so easy. Didn't cause me any problems at all, other than the end of pregnancy part.
#26 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
Has anyone ever given birth with this problem? How did it effect the labor and delivery?

I am seriously considering going to a chiro. for the first time ever. Do they have to crack your neck, or can they skip it... I am scared of having my neck cracked....
I didn't have any problems w/ Evan w/ it, had a working epi though so that might have made the difference. I had an epi w/ Ilana too though, but I think the SPD is what I was feeling when pushing and I was blaming it on something else. I had the pain earlier in this pgcy and a light bulb went off as it matched the pain I had w/ her exactly! I felt like someone was sawing my leg off when I was having her (it made it extremely hard to concentrate and push) and it was probably from opening too wide to push, it's a hard thing to control though when pushing semi-reclined. SPD was the reason I chose to be induced at 39 wks and part of the reason we'll do it again this time.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#27 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 02:27 PM

I'm so ignorant of my own anatomy that I don't even know what to call the part that hurts me. So maybe it's similar?

For me, my biggest complaint right now is a feeling like my vagina is being ripped in two, right down the middle, whenever I move. The only thing that's really helping is a warm bath and avoiding activity that requires me to use one leg at a time--like getting dressed, rolling over in bed, getting into the car, pushing anything with a foot. Bleh. I can actually hear something pop in there when I get in/out of bed sometimes--its definitely not my hips, but I don't know what in my vagina could be cracking. I dunno. I'm just telling myself I can do almost anything for nine more weeks....

#28 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 03:22 PM

I actually like getting my neck cracked :

I don't have any popping near my public bone but my hips have always popped. I don't think it's related because I had that before. I used to be able to crack my lower back by myself but I'm afraid to do it now and well, my stomach is in the way too.

I tell myself, it's not so bad....it's not so bad.... Atleast I can still get around! That's one good thing about being unemployed right now... I can lie down whenever I want!
#29 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well, has almost completely gone away. Maybe the more supportive shoes made the difference. Other than that I don't know why I feel better now. It has been several days since it has really affected me much.

#30 of 46 Old 12-10-2008, 06:30 PM

My discomfort is pretty much gone now, too.
Hope it stays gone!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page