Placenta Previa? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-19-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my friend, who finally just decided to go for a VBAC just found out that she has placenta previa! Her placenta is totally blocking her cervix. Is there any way to get it to move?

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#2 of 6 Old 11-19-2008, 08:16 PM

The placenta can and does move up until 28 weeks I think. So I wouldn't worry too much about it right now, depending on how far along she is.
#3 of 6 Old 11-19-2008, 11:44 PM

Popping in from March... Previa's a really different deal than a low-lying placenta. I have a low-lying, and am going to have to get its position checked again later on, but my understanding is that a true previa doesn't move off the cervix and a VBAC is not an option. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it's likely for her. On the upside, at least it's a situation where it will be a necessary c/s, and though there'll be disappointment and loss of that hope, it's not the kind of situation where afterwards you have regrets and think, "Oh, but what if I would have..." That's a completely appropriate use of a c/s. Sorry for your friend though for sure.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#4 of 6 Old 11-20-2008, 03:13 AM

My sister's midwife said that true placenta previa is one of the few conditions where a c/s is really warranted. She said, "Placenta previa is the reason that they have c/s's." Tell your friend that if it really is complete previa, there really isn't much of a choice.
#5 of 6 Old 11-20-2008, 05:42 AM

The placenta migrates further away from the cervix as the uterus grows out and up. In my particular case, mine is not migrating and I am facing a c-section but with complete previas found at 20 weeks only 34% persist until term. She should ask for a follow up ultrasound close to term to allow as much time as possible for the placenta to migrate.
#6 of 6 Old 11-20-2008, 04:20 PM

How far along is she? If she's in the 3rd trimester and still has a complete previa, I think her odds of it resolving are unfortunately very low and a c/s will be required. Mine was found at 21.5 weeks. I'll be having an u/s at 30 weeks to see if it's moved, and again at 34 if it hasn't completely resolved by the first u/s. It's possible for the placenta to move during the 3rd trimester, but very unlikely.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page