Weekly chit-chat November 29th-December 5th - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 111 Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My shirts won't cover my belly either anymore. For me, I just wear the belly band every day--cheaper than new shirts, and they look just like layering.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#62 of 111 Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post
We have a birth center close by that does pregnancy massage. Mmm. A half hour visit isn't terribly expensive either. I wonder if they would have the capibility of letting me lie down face forward? I miss lying on my tummy!
When I went for a massage last week I was delighted to try out this funky pillow set up he had so that I could lie face-down, with by baby belly in a little dug out, if you will. It was awesome! He said I could take it home on weekends, if I wanted. I just might ... it was wonderful.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#63 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 AM

Jenivere - let us know! Hope he gets it!

I actually have a lot of clothes right now- I bought a few shirts 2nd hand, and at Old navy, and I've pretty pleased with my wardrobe- mostly because it includes some awesome joggers I wear every day!

I'm thinking of asking for new underwear for Christmas- mine are getting ratty. Gift certificate!

Nighten- hope those BH calm down! How are you doing?

My appts start with my mw every 2 weeks now, at 28 weeks.

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#64 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 AM

My appts are every 2 wks now too.
My massage therapist has that awesome pillow too with a dugout for the boobs and belly. Totally comfy to lie on my tummy.
I've been have BH for quite a while now. The worst is the burning pain all the way across the top of my belly to my back.
I've started taking part of some of my shifts off so that is helping.
I reread Birthing from within this time around and it was much more helpful this time.
I bought a 2pack of gowns from superstore and they are on my bill but when I got home I cannot find them. Argh!!!!
On a happy note my newborn monkey doodlez AIO's which I got an awesome deal on arrived today. They are so tiny and cute. I looked at them and had to think back to how tiny newborns are. One more package of dipes on the way and we should be set for a while. I'll still need a few mediums maybe but other than that we are good.

On a crappier note. I still don't have a doula. I don't think I'm going to find one at this point.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#65 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconventional1 View Post
Heinz: I am due the 14th- but I have long cycles, and I will be 30 weeks on thursday. I am in the Boulder area- cool to see someone here that is close! (As you can see by my siggy I UP/UC so I use the due date calculators to figure out when I am due.)
I;m in Ft Collins, my midwife is based in Boulder County though,,,

We start every two weeks on the next visit, the 15th. I feel bad because we meet at my house and she drives pretty far to get here but I enjoy having them!

I feel like Christmas is right around the corner! The weeks tick by so quickly!

I have no idea what I want for the holiday but that is pretty normal for me!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#66 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post
My little secret baby pampering item is this.
I really like the looks of that!

He got the job! We picked up some inexpensive steel toed boots since his are trashed and he has to have them plus some jeans at the second hand store since his are all ripped up to some extent. He has his own tools (Journeyman electrician) but there were some on their list he didn't have. So we borrowed a small amount of money from his mom and bought them.

Our friends surprised us and took us out for a nice dinner while we were in town, plus gave us some fleece socks for our kids and paid us for his making them a wooden rope swing for their kids.

Something disagreed with me at dinner because I'm in pain though it's starting to feel a bit better now.

Over all it's been a nice day.

:
#67 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 01:40 AM

And on the baby front I'll be 32 weeks friday. My next appt is like the 12th or 14th depending on what day she can come into town. Then I'm down to one the shortly after Christmas then two weeks from there we start with every week.

:
#68 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 AM

2 more days till I hit 30!! My parents asked me where I wanted to go out to eat but all the places I WANT to go.... would be kinda pointless because I can't eat much at once and the food I want is not reheat-able/take home-able.

My bday treat today was scones and clotted cream. Well, the store only had Devonshire cream, which is just as good to me but I saw they had a tray of sticky toffee pudding!!! So I decided to find a recipe and that will be my bday cake!

My baby has been moving weird.... My fil was playing the piano earlier and it felt like the baby was also trying to play! I felt these "tickles" going left to right under my belly! I borrowed a baby name book from the library so hopefully this week we'll finally decide on a name!
#69 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 09:21 AM

Glad to hear that he got the job, Jenivere! What a relief!
#70 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 AM

Yay Jen! :

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#71 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 AM

Yay Jen! That's great news- what a relief for you!

I have a bit of complaining to do, physical things. First, my boobs are killing me! They've been sore, but today they're burning sore- I need to wear molded bras to protect them, but today it's unbelievable. They're almost itchy, I don't know what's going on.

Secondly, and perhaps tmi, my vagina seems to be itchy. I don't have any discharge or any other yeast infection symptoms, so I don't know about this. It also seems irritated- any ideas what this would be, if it is or not a yeast infection?

Lastly, it's not really a complaint, but the baby has been CRAZY! Moving around sooo much, and especially with it's feet- in the same general area. I'm often feeling feet pressing out and waving around, it's very cool, but also weird, to cup a foot in your hand through your abdomen. It's busy building something in there!

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#72 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 01:42 PM

Jenivere, I'm so glad for you! Congrats!

----

LTB, have you tried Sears? They have these tops which are really long -- longer than anything I'd seen -- and very comfortable, cotton. I got a size up and could've gotten two sizes up though truthfully, to accommodate my boobs.

Anyway, they don't look that cute in the link but they really are cute on. No clue if you'd like them or not, but they are the only tops I've found that were comfortable and long/flowy enough. Everything else is so dang clingy it's awful.

----

The BH have eased up a little (and it wasn't like they were coming and going a lot -- it's like I had one BH nonstop, if that makes sense) but yesterday I ate a hamburger, then went to the chiro for my sacral pain. During the adjustment, I had a sharp pain in my front right abdomen, and it worsened as the day went on, until I couldn't sit down. I thought maybe it was a gas pocket but nothing helped. And finally I took a Flexeril (muscle relaxer they'd given me for migraines early on) and that seemed to help.

I'd had this pain once before a while back but had kind of assumed it was gas. And it went away on its own. But it was in the same place, and it felt almost like it was connected to my naval. So I don't know if it's part of the hernia thing? Or what.

Anyway, it's much better this morning, but the baby has also dropped some (my belly hits my thighs when I walk up stairs now. Lovely), and despite feeling better, and baby moving fine, I'm still a little worried. So I made an appointment with my m/w for tomorrow morning just to be safe.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#73 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenivere View Post
I really like the looks of that!

He got the job! We picked up some inexpensive steel toed boots since his are trashed and he has to have them plus some jeans at the second hand store since his are all ripped up to some extent. He has his own tools (Journeyman electrician) but there were some on their list he didn't have. So we borrowed a small amount of money from his mom and bought them.
HOORAY!

CandyApple, last year I got my mom a necklace similar to this one Red Envelope's website. They also have some birthstone jewlery. You might be able to google "promotional codes" and find a code for free shipping or a coupon or something, too.

#74 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post
Secondly, and perhaps tmi, my vagina seems to be itchy. I don't have any discharge or any other yeast infection symptoms, so I don't know about this. It also seems irritated- any ideas what this would be, if it is or not a yeast infection?

Lastly, it's not really a complaint, but the baby has been CRAZY! Moving around sooo much, and especially with it's feet- in the same general area. I'm often feeling feet pressing out and waving around, it's very cool, but also weird, to cup a foot in your hand through your abdomen. It's busy building something in there!
About the itchy vagina ... maybe vulvar variscosity?

And about the super moveable baby parts, mine must be building a lego castle in there.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#75 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
HOORAY!

CandyApple, last year I got my mom a necklace similar to this one Red Envelope's website. They also have some birthstone jewlery. You might be able to google "promotional codes" and find a code for free shipping or a coupon or something, too.
Wow - I really like that one! A lot! I did some searches on etsy and came up with a few, but none I like as much as that. Thank you!

Congrats Jen!

Not much new here. I had a crummy sleeping night, I have some funny ache in my left arm that kept me awake after I woke at 1:30, but nothing horrible. Bhicks have ebbed off!
#76 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 03:20 PM

Yay Jenivere! I'm so glad things worked out and you had a nice evening!

Not much to report here as usual. Finally got the decorations out and up. But really, I can't wait to put them back and concentrate on baby stuff. I'm 30 wks this weekend. Its still a long time away but I am finding it hard to put baby organizing out of my brain. I was supposed to start going to the mw every two weeks at 28 wks but I stretched this one to three and I doubt I'll go again until January.

I am really hoping to get a baby moon with this baby even though its number 3 and things are busy with the older two. I am aiming for at least a week of in and out of bed with the babe and not leaving the house if I feel like it. My dh will be home and my mom so there will be enough adults, I just wonder how my dd especially will react. She always wants me to be the one to take her to school now. I have seen a couple of moms at preschool hauling their newborns in at around a week post-partum and it looks a little brutal to me. We'll see. Anyways ramble over.
#77 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
On a crappier note. I still don't have a doula. I don't think I'm going to find one at this point.
I'm right there with you. I was so excited because I really thought I found one. She sounded just as excited to meet with me as I was to meet with her. I had to wait around for a while because she had a client getting ready to give birth. But she emailed me a couple of weeks ago saying she'd had the baby and we could meet anytime. I emailed her and suggested several different times I would be available. I didn't hear from her all that week, so I called her and got her voicemail. I left a message saying I still wanted to meet with her and gave a couple of different days I'd be available. Still no word... I'm beginning to think the doula is just not meant to be for me...

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#78 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 05:02 PM
k13

I go see my midwife today... started the two weekers at the last appointment and I'm about 31 weeks.

As far as braxton hicks go, I don't think there is a correlation with early labor, seeing as how I had two early labors and very few braxton hicks. Unless I'm one of those who actually get them and just can't tell?

Good luck with the doula hunt... I feel so lucky that I have several friends who have had doula training. One friend I asked to be at my last birth as a sort of unofficial doula - she hadn't had any official training then but had babies herself and just has a really calm, grounding energy and is someone I trust. I wanted someone besides my partner there. Not to downplay what doulas do for a living but I'm just saying that sometimes a friend or relative who has had babies can act in a doula-like supportive role.
#79 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 05:56 PM

Hey ladies!

I had my midwife appt yesterday and it went well. The baby is head down and the head is pretty low. I'm so hopeful that he will stay that way. HB was 140 as usual, my bp was low which is usual for me, and I measured 29cm. So all is well.

On another note, we discussed the vitamin K shot and the eye ointment and my midwife informed me that where I live the eye ointment is a huge deal. If I refuse it she legally has to report me and I will have a CAS visit (Canadian CPS)!! I couldn't believe this! I hadn't made a decision on either of these two things yet, but I just find this ridiculous.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#80 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
On another note, we discussed the vitamin K shot and the eye ointment and my midwife informed me that where I live the eye ointment is a huge deal. If I refuse it she legally has to report me and I will have a CAS visit (Canadian CPS)!! I couldn't believe this! I hadn't made a decision on either of these two things yet, but I just find this ridiculous.
That's crazy. I don't know how CAS is up there, but I can see why you might just delay it for a few hours to avoid them being involved.... Here CPS involvement is not a pleasant thing. Maybe there's some sort of formal waiver process you could do through the health department or something?

Off topic, but can you all BELIEVE there are two January DDC babies already? Somehow the first of December made me feel like February is coming up really soon.

#81 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 08:32 PM

I'm 30wks on 12/8, can't believe how quick the weeks are ticking by now! This week my blood sugars are looking much better and I'm hoping I won't need anymore insulin increases at my next appointment on Monday. In just two weeks I go to weekly visits!!
#82 of 111 Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Hey ladies!

WHAT?
What province are you in?
Seriously, Gillian ... that is SO insane, I'm sitting here wondering if your midwife has her facts straight. :
I would suggest calling Children & Family Services and talking directly to a social worker and finding out the truth. According to my understanding of the law, your refusal of either of those interventions do not indicate a CPS call. Not in the least. You can look up the Children & Families act online and it points out when and why people are legally obliged to call.
Something about her version of things does not mesh. In the least.
I smell fish.

#83 of 111 Old 12-04-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
About the itchy vagina ... maybe vulvar variscosity?
Hm, I don't think so. It's only inside (sorry, tmi again) that I'm irritated- and everything 'looks' normal, and I haven't noticed any other issues. I was actually wondering, does anyone think it's possible it's my own hormones causing me irritation? I was looking up vaginitis, and I don't really meet any other symptoms at all- and I found there's one kind that is not an infection at all, but a reaction to something. Now, since I'm bathing less frequently, using mild soap, not had sex in a few days (or anything else)...I'm wondering, with the burning, aching boobs maybe there's a connection? Hormones going crazy right now? Like I said, no discharge, no smell...

Quote:
Hey ladies!
That's insane. My midwife is not 'for' the eye ointment unless you have the std, of course, and she happily opts out of it. I believe she does have to record, though, that the client refused, or even physically restrained her. But there's no reporting to CAS. I live in Ontario- I agree with Starling- check that out! Do some research!

#84 of 111 Old 12-04-2008, 01:04 AM

Where I live it's fairly common for CPS to be called for hospital births, when someone refuses the eye ointment, whether they have a waiver (including proof of testing negative for the two STDs it treats) or not. It is up to the discretion of the caregiver though (but that could be OB, midwife, ped, or some random nurse, even -- anyone who has access to your chart). My midwife would never dream of contacting CPS for a patient, who'd tested negative, refusing the eye ointment, but she has warned us that some nurses are ridiculously uninformed/anal about it.

I know it's probably not exactly the same where you live, but I'll third the recommendation to contact your version of CPS and ask pointblank.

The reason it's a law here is the drug manufacturers make money off every child born.

Also, you can still refuse it, and even if CPS is called, just be armed with facts (that even if you had tested positive, the infection isn't guaranteed and can still be treated just as effectively after the fact, etc.) -- and especially about unnecessary, prophylactic use of antibiotics (assuming you've tested negative) and how that is something most reputable peds/doctors now preach against.

ETA: I know some people have requested the midwife allow them to administer the ointment themselves. Then the midwife can simply turn her head while the parents "administer" it. Would something like that work for you?

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#85 of 111 Old 12-04-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess View Post
I;m in Ft Collins, my midwife is based in Boulder County though,,,

We start every two weeks on the next visit, the 15th. I feel bad because we meet at my house and she drives pretty far to get here but I enjoy having them!

I feel like Christmas is right around the corner! The weeks tick by so quickly!

I have no idea what I want for the holiday but that is pretty normal for me!
Hey we just moved from Buckhorn Canyon because DH's job is here in Boulder. We were having a hard time planning an entire day around grocery shopping also! I guess I am more of an urban person than I thought.

We are very busy this month too- DS has his bday on the 14th, then Christmas less than two weeks later- the end of the year always flies by.

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!
#86 of 111 Old 12-04-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
WHAT?
What province are you in?
Seriously, Gillian ... that is SO insane, I'm sitting here wondering if your midwife has her facts straight. :
I would suggest calling Children & Family Services and talking directly to a social worker and finding out the truth. According to my understanding of the law, your refusal of either of those interventions do not indicate a CPS call. Not in the least. You can look up the Children & Families act online and it points out when and why people are legally obliged to call.
Something about her version of things does not mesh. In the least.
I smell fish.
My midwife didn't agree with the CAS visits at all - she's new to our town and said that she has never seen this done anywhere else. I'm in Ontario and my city seems to be backwards about some things (we are also the only city in Ontario with a hospital that refuses to grant privileges to midwives). The only reason she found out was because she had a few women turn it down and they all ended up with CAS visits. I don't think she is the one calling CAS, she has to report to some other health department, and they are the ones reporting to CAS. The whole thing is very frustrating.

I forgot to add - I'm 30 weeks today! :

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#87 of 111 Old 12-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Gillian, I have heard of midwives "applying" the eye goop on the cheeks of the baby to get around the letter of the law. I don't know if this is something that you could have your midwife do or not.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#88 of 111 Old 12-04-2008, 05:55 PM

So I started to feel nauseaus last night. I woke up this morning and I vomited. I can't drink anything, I can't sleep because I keep waking up with the urge to vomit. I just tried some toast and I threw that up. This is awful. I even took Gravol and I still can't keep anything down.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#89 of 111 Old 12-04-2008, 11:59 PM

Some Christmas gifts a new mama might want to consider are hands-free devices such as cute slip-on shoes and a purse that doesn't require a hand (shoulder strap). These are things I never realized that I would later depend on so much. Those slip-on sneakers my dad picked out for me for Christmas when DS was 3 mos. old...I put them on after opening the gift, and basically wore them all through winter, spring and into summer, too. After a year or so, I just had to throw them away. I got into a nursing habit of sitting cross-legged to nurse, so I was slipping shoes on and off constantly. And, with a babe in my arms, there was no free hands for purse, locking the door, etc. Of course, I didn't really figure out the sling with DS, so maybe I was at a disadvantage there... I'm hoping to be a pro at the mama thing this second time around...but still on the lookout for the perfect pair of slip-on shoes...

Had good visits with midwife and backup OB this week. I am on two week visits with the OB and still have one more 4 week interval before my next midwife visit. But, I am going to stretch out those 2 weekers with the OB as much as I can. I'm tired of schlepping out to the appts. already...I'd rather stay home and chill.
#90 of 111 Old 12-05-2008, 11:48 AM

Nillarilla, I hope you are feeling much better today!

Anyone else totally avoiding birth stories this time? With all of my previous (three) pregnancies, I was very into reading birth stories, although I somewhat tried to avoid the scary ones. This time I feel very protective of my own vision for this birth. I don't want anyone else's birth energy or experience (even positive!) to color that. I just have no interest, this time, in reading about other births. I'm really excited about this birth, too. I'm especially looking forward to it because it will be my last one, as far as we plan and expect. So I really want to just enjoy it for what it is.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page