How do I know if this is BH? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-01-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies! Stupid question!

My midwife always asks if I'm having BH contractions and I say no. I'm wondering if I am and don't know it. Sometimes I feel like maybe the baby kind of stretches up like she's trying to bunch up in the top of my uterus. When this happens my "baby bump" gets hard and high and sometimes lopsided (like she's more on one side than another). I always thought it was her sticking her butt up in my face but I always hear BH described as "hardening." What do you think? How would you describe a BH?
#2 of 6 Old 12-01-2008, 12:00 PM

I would describe it as a tightening of your uterus--the whole thing, not just parts of it or the area where the baby is "sticking his butt out," LOL! This baby does that a lot. Anyway, it sort of feels like your uterus has turned into a basketball--if you poke at it, it has that same hard feeling, no give. In a minute or two it will go away, and if you poke it again, you will feel give. I loved BH ctx with my first! I would sit there and poke at my tummy until it went away.
#3 of 6 Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 PM

I believe you get BHs throughout the whole pregnancy--so I guess her real question should have been "can you feel them!" LOL!!

And yep, the entire uterus feels like a hard ball, but it's not really very painful, and they're usually not very rhythmic like real contractions.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 6 Old 12-01-2008, 12:34 PM

The way I describe them is it's like a blood pressure cuff, only around your uterus/abdomen instead of your arm.

So when it gets really hard and/or tight, that's BH.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#5 of 6 Old 12-01-2008, 02:40 PM

I was thinking the same thing until my midwife felt it and told me what it was. She said if it's hard in just one area, that's the baby; if it's hard all over, that's BH contrax.

I'm also noticing now when I am just going about my day...making dinner or whatever, sometimes I'll need a sudden deep breath. When I touch my belly it's usually hard all over, so I'm guessing that's BH for me.

#6 of 6 Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 AM

To be honest, the first contraction I felt with my first was at the onset of labor. I did not notice any BH or otherwise before that. It made matters a lot less confusing when I did go into labor.

With my second, I was very aware of BH, and had some pre-labor contractions in addition, and it was kind of frustrating.

This one, I have noticed some BH when I am over-doing it, when I am bracing things I am carrying against mah belly, and after orgasm.

But whether you notice them or not, you are probably having them. (Like Ally said. )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page