Red Freckles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'm a very freckly person and I've definitely had new ones pop up since I've been pregnant. Recently I have quite a few (double digits) red freckles. Not red like a regular freckle with irritation but the freckle itself is bright red or even hot pink. Anyone have this or know what it is?
#2 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 10:31 PM

Where are they? Have you been vomiting or straining really hard? They could be capillaries maybe?

Honestly though, I vote normal freaky skin/pigment changes from pregnancy.

Pregnancy makes all of my freckles/age spots much more pronounced. Could be you had these lighter, very pale freckles already but never noticed them until the hormones kicked in?

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 7 Old 12-02-2008, 12:27 AM

I have them too, although mine have been around for a while and not related to pg.

They are called Cherry Angiomas

Quote:
Definition of Cherry Angioma
Cherry angioma is a cherry-red to purple colored benign skin tumor of unknown origin that appears most frequently after age 40.

Description of Cherry Angioma
Cherry angiomas are the most common vascular lesions to appear on human skin. They are made up of clusters of dilated capillaries on the surface of the skin, which accounts for the cherry-red or purple color. No one knows exactly what causes them.

Cherry angiomas can occur almost anywhere on the skin, but most commonly on the torso. They rarely occur on the hands or feet. When they first occur, cherry angiomas are about the size of a pinhead and do not protrude above the surface of the skin. However, some grow to 1/4 inch across or more, and become spongy and dome- or mushroom-shaped.

A cherry angioma is painless and harmless, but many persons want them removed for cosmetic reasons. Large angiomas can bleed profusely when they are injured. Because of this, don't puncture them or try to remove them yourself.

You can develop cherry angiomas anytime in your life, but they are most frequent after the age of 40.
They really don't bother me and they are so small that I am probably the only person who notices them. It says that most people don't develop them until after 40, but I have noticed them since about 28ish.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#4 of 7 Old 12-02-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks! I looked up cherry angiomas online and that looks like what they are. I'm glad they aren't dangerous - my husband thinks they're cute! (he'd have to like freckles to be married to me!)
#5 of 7 Old 12-02-2008, 03:18 PM

You're welcome....yeah, they're really no big deal. I too have regular freckles (red head)

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#6 of 7 Old 12-03-2008, 02:53 PM

I have these too. I got my first one around 23 or so. I never thought much of it, but I'm glad to have found what it is.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#7 of 7 Old 12-06-2008, 09:37 PM

DH just pointed out 3 of these on my belly and back last week. We were wondering what they were, glad to know they're harmless.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page