Disposable diaper & breastfed baby question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-05-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been six years since I had a newborn, and I can't for the life of me remember how many diapers I went through! I'm trying to figure out how many of what sizes I should buy.

I figure 12-15 per day, but for how long are they in 12 per day???

And assuming I'll have an under 8 lb-er, I can't remember how quickly they grow into the next size. My son was around the 50th percentile most of the time.

How many disposable diapers are you planning to have on hand before the baby arrives???

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tracy
Due 2/10/09
#2 of 7 Old 12-06-2008, 01:13 PM

I think I had a costco box full and went through about 2.5 of those before the next size but my babe grew really fast.
This time we are cding the whole way so I won't have any.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#3 of 7 Old 12-06-2008, 02:54 PM

I cloth diapered my last two. . . my first one . . .we probably went through about 8 -10 disposables a day. And I think he was in newborn size for about 5 weeks . . . and then went to size 1. I can't remember if it was size 1 or size 2 that he was only in for a couple of weeks before moving up. But then he was in a 3 until he was a year old or more.

This one will be cloth diapered too, so I havn't been thinking about disposables.
#4 of 7 Old 12-06-2008, 05:01 PM

I wouldn't buy a ton of diapers in advance because you don't know what works best for your baby. With my son, we bought just one large box in advance (I think it had 50 or 60 diapers?) and then we went from there as we figured out what worked best with him. We actually ended up using a size larger than he needed because they seemed to leak less. Definitely 12-15 a day when I was breastfeeding (up until about 6 months). Now that he's 19 months we go through a little more than one of the Costco Huggies boxes a month.
#5 of 7 Old 12-07-2008, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Great guidelines! Thanks everyone!

Tracy
Due 2/10/09
#6 of 7 Old 12-08-2008, 01:40 PM

Mine went through 12+ diapers a day for a while, at least the first 6 weeks. Size was an issue with my kids though, they were both born over the 99% and my son continued to grow fast. He was in step 5 diapers by 5 months due to his rapid gain and buddah belly! My second grew much more slowly. I didnt' use newborn diapers for either. (Didn't use step 1's for long either. The cases that say step 1-2 are actually all 2's).

*At about 10 weeks, both my kids went from pooping half a dozen times a day to going weeks between! My son often would go 2 weeks between and my daughter would go 3 weeks between! So the diaper amount rapidly decreased.

I'm just planning on having one case of 2's and then buying more as needed.
#7 of 7 Old 12-12-2008, 07:27 PM

We always start w/ NB diapers since my kids are just under 7# when they go home. They're in those till about 8-10# which is a large range for my kids. Ilana could wear nb size forever it seemed! Anyone having an 8#+ baby could go straight to sz 1. I'm hoping to get some more cds before baby comes so we can cd again this one.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page