Weekly chit-chat December 6th-12th - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2008, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
About sore throat- My DH is a voice teacher and he swears by boiled ginger root. You boil the root for awhile to make a tea and then drink the tea. It's kind of fizzy and feels neat going down. I assume it's ok for pg... never really had to look into it.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't checked in yet. Saw my MW yesterday and DH was there - his first appt! His first time hearing the heartbeat! I've been reading Ina May's Guide and the first few pages of Birthing from Within, and I've been thinking a lot about building a solid birthing team for myself, and bringing people into my experience more. When I wrote up my birth story for you all I was struck by how negative it was and how it sounded like I was alone most of the time. I'm determined to change both those things this time.

So I'm thinking a lot about the birth. It was great to see my DH and MW working together yesterday - they put their heads together and got all the birthing supplies ordered online without my participation. And I'm thinking of writing up things they can say to me during labor that will be helpful(e.g. "relax your mouth and throat"), and a separate list of things they can suggest that I say (e.g. "I am opening like a flower," "this is what I want").

I'm also thinking of asking my dear friend K to come to the birth. I don't know how she'll react or whether she can (she has a daughter of her own). I don't really like the idea of a doula because she'll pretty much be a stranger, and I think this needs to be really intimate.

I'm sorry to hear that people are sick. I'm just starting to get over a bad sinus infection myself, I've been sick with that and a cough for about a month now. I'm hopeful that it's all going away soon and I can get back to just complaining about pregnancy symptoms.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:46 PM

AllyRae: I'm so happy to read that things are going well. How exciting to have a date!

I'm feeling so tired lately. I wish I could nap everyday but my work schedule just doesn't allow this. I'm thinking about talking to my supervisor about taking one or two half days off during the week. I have a lot of sick leave built up that I won't ever get back so I should just use it. We'll see...I just want to finish this week.

Ok, so I have some new mom questions for you seasoned vetrans...

1) I don't know what to bring my baby home from the hospital in. I have been given lots of 0-3 month sized clothes but they seem really big. I figured that at home she would just wear gowns for the most part but I'm worried if i bring her home in a gown her little legs will be cold. It will be February in Alaska and I need something warm. Any suggestions?:

2)Do you think I need a bouncy seat? I'm not really wanting to have lots of "stuff" but I wondered if this is something I should get. We are being given a hanging crib from my brother and SIL to use which slightly rocks. I'm hoping that this can serve the same purpose. What do you guys think? The link is below.

http://sunnykidstyle.wordpress.com/2...r-crib-or-bed/

Thanks!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 PM

I love bouncy seats for when they are newborns. So, I would say yes. Some people swear by infant swings. I have never had a baby that likes to swing, but they all loved the bouncy seat/vibrator. Once my babies outgrow the bouncy chair, they are usually ready for the Johnny jump up, and I get lots of use out of that!

You might find that you have a baby that prefers to swing. It's hard to tell.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:35 PM

I love having a bouncy seat or swing to lay my baby in when I really need my hands free like for showers and cooking hot things at the stove top. My kids broke my swing so I should probably keep my eyes out for a replacement.

:
Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 PM

Sorry I haven't checked in yet. My due date is in about two months. We are going to wait to buy most of our baby "stuff" until next month, when lots of things will be on sale. Can't think of anything else we need to do to get ready. Hmm, maybe find more time to practice my hypnosis. But I'm still pretty good at self-hypnosis from last time, so I don't think that's as crucial. I can still go straight into deep relaxation on self-cue. Yay!

Can I just say I think it is SO ADORABLE how excited DH is to have a little girl? It means a lot to me since my dad and stepdad were both WAY more into boy stuff and way more interested in their sons than in their daughters. I felt like such a second-class citizen. I felt like I had to try to act like a boy to get any attention at all, and of course I couldn't really win that competition even if I tried. I never knew what it was like to have one of those cute, adoring, father-daughter relationships. I still miss that. I'm so happy that my daughter will have that! YAY!

Now, possible TMI ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
I had an issue arise last night that I wanted to ask about. While dtd (actually it started right when I was o-ing) I got what felt like a muscle cramp or huge tightening along the top of my belly. It actually hurt and lasted for several minutes. I'm not sure if my orgasm caused me to have a contraction or what. I also may have been squishing my belly a bit - could this have caused it? Has anyone else experienced this?
Sort of. This has happened to me a couple of times lately, and it is SO annoying. Just as I am starting to climax, a muscle or ligament or SOMETHING in my upper abdomen-- only on one side-- starts to hurt, like a muscle being pulled or something. It really ruins the moment and pretty much prevents a good O. It happened last night and I still feel grumpy about it. : I can hardly wait to be able to enjoy non-pregnant intimacy again. But hey, not much longer now I guess!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 12-11-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
Then, on Tuesday, I went to a consignment shop and there were newborn cloth diaper covers! So, I got 5 of those to complete my newborn "stash." Then I went to another consignment store (I'm looking for a papasan swing) and found a didymos wrap, in box, brand new for 12 dollars!!! Yep, you read that right.LOL I also found a cute coat and some stuff for my other children. I actually got to thank my 3 kids for being so awesome in the store.
Holy cow, what a find! You are so lucky- I'm seriously envious!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
This morning I woke with a sore throat. I thought it was just dry at first, but it hasn't gone away yet. Now, DH just came home for his lunch break and said he's not going back to work because he has a sore throat and is pretty sure he has a fever. I don't have a fever but my throat is killing me and I just feel very sluggish... Any suggestions for the throat? I'm not sure what's okay to take or if there is anything natural that will work. I've been drinking plenty of ice water and ate some soup to see if that would help soothe it. It helped for a little while but hurts again....
This isn't a natural remedy- but sometimes I just get desperate. I find Chloroseptic to work really well, it's a throat spray, and it numbs the soreness and kills bacteria. (works of other mouth problems too)

I've been taking a lot of vit C, as well as other vitamins and supplements, such as kyolic garlic, and I'm making the kids wash their hands more when we're out, and so far we've been safe. I think lots of vitamins help (overdose, really) and also, lots of hot tea and soup! Tea, tea tea... I find it can stave off a cold if I drink it all day when I'm starting to feel it coming on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Can I just say I think it is SO ADORABLE how excited DH is to have a little girl? I can hardly wait to be able to enjoy non-pregnant intimacy again. But hey, not much longer now I guess!
Awww, that's so nice! My dh really loves having a girl too, even though he adores his boy.
And even I'm starting to get uncomfortable while dtd, too. My belly is in the way, my boobs are sore...but then I think of how scared I am after for so long....

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
Old 12-11-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Whenever I have a sore throat, I drink lots of lemon tea with honey. It's soothing to me. Take care!
I usually do honey, lemon, and fresh ginger in hot water, and a lot of time the sore throat/cold goes away pretty fast. (I know you aren't supposed to have too much ginger during pregnancy, but a little bit shouldn't do anything bad).

I have been crazy busy. We had 13 people for Thanksgiving, and before that my husband was re-constructing and painting one of the living room walls, and our well broke, so it was fun trying to cook and clean for Thanksgiving without running water (luckily it was fixed before the big day). Plus I have been on a special diet and spending most of my free time cooking everything from scratch. (I had grand plans of cooking ahead and having time to relax during my 3rd trimester, oh well). If I am doing the math right, I have 66 days left. I am trying to sew a few more maternity clothes (store-bought pants are awful, but the one pair I made are super comfortable), and knit and sew a few things for the baby.

I just found out that the midwife I was planning to use (and absolutely loved) is not going to be able to attend my birth... her daughter is due around the same time, and originally was going to come out here for the birth, but now it looks like she will be on the opposite coast so it's just too difficult to plan around. So now I am going to go with her backup, which I haven't met but had a great phone conversation with. I look forward to meeting her next week, she seems great, but she is a bit of a drive away for the prenatals, which is annoying.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:58 AM

AKislandgirl, Yes on the bouncy seat, if you ever want to go to the bathroom or take a shower, especially.

Definitely get a bouncy seat. There are some things that are totally unnecessary from my experience (like a Bumbo seat, for instance) but bouncy seats are great to have on hand and much more versatile than a cradle or crib or something like that.

As for the going home outfit, it depends. 0-3 months is considerably bigger than Newborn-sized clothing in most cases. If you or your partner were bigger than 7 pounds at birth, then there's a chance your baby will be bigger than 7 pounds at birth too, in which case 0-3 months may very well work fine.

If you were a smaller babe, then you might want to go with Newborn-sized instead. We had a 0-3 month outfit for Guinevere and she was 6lbs, 6oz, and it swallowed her whole. Looked ridiculous, really. Thankfully it was warm out where we live at the time, so no big deal. I was very glad I had brought newborn hats though, as the hat that came with the outfit wouldn't remotely stay put.

This time I'm going for absolute warmth and comfort. I'm bringing two different outfits.

This one in case it's super cold (it's very soft fleece on the outside, soft combed cotton on the inside, and very fluffy/padded/warm):

Warm outfit

And long gowns to layer with soft combed cotton pants, and long-sleeved side-snap tshirts for underneath the gown, hats, mittens, socks, etc., for if the weather isn't quite as cold. I am not big on the whole fancy lace and whatnot for a Going Home Outfit. I want new baby to be warm and comfortable. She will be sleeping the whole way home anyway, more than likely. So layers are good for where I live since the weather is unpredictable in Feb. It might be 70. It might be 20.

Regardless, I'm bringing Newborn-sized (plus a few preemie sized things I have on hand from Guinevere's first few days), just in case. No 0-3 month stuff at all.

I will probably bring more clothes for the baby than for me, honestly.

If I lived in AK, I would definitely put her in lots of layers and have a nice warm bunting type outfit that would still be safe for a carseat -- but also bring a very warm blanket to tuck around her once she's strapped into her carseat.

-----

Don't remember if I posted about the gallbladder thing or not, but there were no gallstones -- only "sludge" (niiiiiiiice), and they said it could be causing issues with me digesting fatty foods. My doula (love her!) told me to start drinking unfiltered apple juice, and to take digestive enzymes prior to eating fatty foods.

She also helped me edit some of my birth plan, thank goodness. It still has a long way to go before I'm comfy with it, but I'm feeling better now.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 12-11-2008, 03:33 AM

Thank you Nighten. That is very helpful. I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy a few tiny things for the girl. I'm not big into lace either and will go for some nice soft cotton layers. I think layers combined with blankets and the warm car seat cover we were given should be good. We live 3 minutes from the hospital which is good. DH can preheat the car before we get ready to leave the hospital and we'll be home in a jiff.

On another note, I had posted in the hypnosis post about wanting a Doula and DH not being on board. i talked with him more about it tonight and he may be coming around. I'm going to call her tomorrow just to get some info. I'm excited about this possibility! I'll let you gals know how it goes.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 12-11-2008, 10:12 AM

I guess what is considered useless and what is considered useful can be very subjective from person to person! Because I found the bumbo seat to be extremely useful with my 2nd son.
I started using it when he was 5 months old and wasn't able to sit up on his own, but had outgrown the bouncy seat. He loved it because he was able to sit up and play with toys. No fear of falling over. I loved it.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 AM

LOL...I must have the fussiest kids, because things like bouncies and swings were pretty useless...and boy did we try! But DS had colic and DD had a ton of reflux and throat issues. Neither wanted to ever be put down... So the most helpful things to me were a collection of good slings, and a mesh sling so I can take them into the shower with me.

I've never used a bumbo. Something about it freaks me out--like kids aren't really supposed to be sitting with their legs stuck like that or something. But both of my kids sat up independently by 4 months old anyhow, so they wouldn't have needed it.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 12-11-2008, 01:22 PM

We had a swing, bouncy seat and bumbo, and they all had their moments. The bouncy seat was the one with the longest useful life, but not because of any bounciness or vibration. It had an arch that went over the top with a fish, lion and bird hanging from it, and when DS hit one of those with a hand or foot, it played a song. It was his first toy, he absolutely loved it, and it was the only way he was willing to let me put him down.

Much later, there were a few times when the swing and its eerie underwater classical music were the only thing that got DS to sleep. This happened very few times, but obviously when its 3 in the morning, if it works in that moment, it's worth whatever money it cost. Fortunately all these things were gifts to us. As little as he liked sitting in it, though, when he started pulling up he loved to pull up on the swing and turn the knob to make it swing and turn on the music.

The Bumbo was a big favorite - he loved the independence of being able to play with toys with both hands. I used to put him on the kitchen counter while I cooked (when I was sure he couldn't tip it over). But this lasted only about 2 months.

The problem with all these things is you don't know which will be the one your kid likes until you've had it in your house for a few months. So if you're buying them yourself, that's a big problem. In that case I would pick one, and spend your money on whatever babywearing gear you need to get your daily stuff done (or coordinate with DH for your showers! ).
Old 12-11-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post
I guess what is considered useless and what is considered useful can be very subjective from person to person! Because I found the bumbo seat to be extremely useful with my 2nd son.
I started using it when he was 5 months old and wasn't able to sit up on his own, but had outgrown the bouncy seat. He loved it because he was able to sit up and play with toys. No fear of falling over. I loved it.
That's very true, absolutely, though Guinevere easily tumped out of the Bumbo -- she'd arch her back and BAM! Over it would go. So it depends on the child too. We've kept the Bumbo just in case this new baby might benefit from it, but honestly the cat has benefitted most from it. He sleeps in it every night.

---

AKisle, keep us posted about the doula! Good luck.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
On another note, I had posted in the hypnosis post about wanting a Doula and DH not being on board. i talked with him more about it tonight and he may be coming around. I'm going to call her tomorrow just to get some info. I'm excited about this possibility! I'll let you gals know how it goes.
Definitely keep us posted. This was a hard issue for us too--I finally figured out that Huz felt like I felt he wasn't going to be "good enough" to help me during the labor/birth, and that's why he didn't like the idea of a doula. I just kept emphasizing that the baby and I might each need our own helper; that if they have to take the baby from me I need him to go with her, which would leave the doula to stay with me; that he would be able to do more "supervising" than just waiting on me (he liked that); and that the doula will know the right things to say/do just in case he forgets (read--gets overwhelmed). I think he'll be completely okay with it once he actually meets her.

If he still doesn't come around, maybe you could ask for him to think of it as your Christmas or Birthday present?

Old 12-11-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
AllyRae: I'm so happy to read that things are going well. How exciting to have a date!

I'm feeling so tired lately. I wish I could nap everyday but my work schedule just doesn't allow this. I'm thinking about talking to my supervisor about taking one or two half days off during the week. I have a lot of sick leave built up that I won't ever get back so I should just use it. We'll see...I just want to finish this week.

Ok, so I have some new mom questions for you seasoned vetrans...

1) I don't know what to bring my baby home from the hospital in. I have been given lots of 0-3 month sized clothes but they seem really big. I figured that at home she would just wear gowns for the most part but I'm worried if i bring her home in a gown her little legs will be cold. It will be February in Alaska and I need something warm. Any suggestions?:

2)Do you think I need a bouncy seat? I'm not really wanting to have lots of "stuff" but I wondered if this is something I should get. We are being given a hanging crib from my brother and SIL to use which slightly rocks. I'm hoping that this can serve the same purpose. What do you guys think? The link is below.

http://sunnykidstyle.wordpress.com/2...r-crib-or-bed/

Thanks!
I think your best bet for finding out what is safe for using in and around a car seat is to check out the family safety board here...lots of car seat techs who have a ton of info!

All my babes came home in sleepers, it doesn't really matter if they are bit big, if it covers their hands, that is just more warmth Plus they will fit in a couple weeks anyway..the grow so fast! Also, are you cloth diapering? If so, you need some fluffy room for that diaper!

Adore your bed...so pretty! I love it! We had a Amby with my last dd but since we were "done" I sold it! I wish we still had it!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:29 PM

I had a little frustration yesterday when I got a call from HR saying that a midwife wasn't qualified to sign my maternity leave papers. WHAT?! I was really annoyed and felt completely discriminated against and ostracized. She told me to go to a doctor or I wouldn’t be able to have my leave approved. I was polite to the lady and asked if there was anyone I could call to petition to change this policy, and she said, no, it was a government leave plan and I’d have to essentially talk to congress. Grr. I called my midwife who asked for number for HR. I was concerned at first, but the midwife handled it beautifully. Guess what? Once the lady actually LOOKED IT UP she found that, yes indeed, midwives can sign leave forms to affirm that their clients are indeed pregnant! I still have one more hurdle in that to be paid anything during my leave I have to have a doctor sign a form verifying the method and date of birth after the fact. Grr. This one is a local union thing, so I’m working on getting that policy changed or at least bent. I do NOT feel like going to a doctor after having a nice, uneventful homebirth, just to have my privates observed to see if I indeed DID squeeze a baby out of that opening. Of course, in an emergency transfer situation, we won’t have to worry about finding a doctor—but that’s not really a solution, in my mind. So, hopefully I can get a waver. So silly. Can you tell it sort of stirred me up?

I’m physically doing okay. I’m starting to notice more aches, twinges, swelling, and tiredness, but these are very mild and just serve to remind me that I am indeed pregnant! The baby is moving quite a bit. It’s starting to get painful at times. It makes me wonder—if this is how it feels when the baby is 3.5 pounds (according to the little weekly updates), how will it feel when my baby is 7 or 8 pounds! I’ve identified lots of movements—kicks, punches, elbow jabs, rolling, and rubbing, but the baby often does these weird little fluttering things. I’m guessing fingers? It’s just weird because they usually go on for a long time. Maybe they’re some form of hiccups while the baby is sleeping and just gently brushing against me? I don’t know. It’s really fun to share all this variety of movement with my husband. When my alarm goes off in the morning, the baby and I start moving together and getting ready for our day. It’s just too neat.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

Old 12-11-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post

I've never used a bumbo. Something about it freaks me out--like kids aren't really supposed to be sitting with their legs stuck like that or something. But both of my kids sat up independently by 4 months old anyhow, so they wouldn't have needed it.
You're right. Children should not be in the seated position until they can maintain it on their own. Forcing them into this position in the Bumbo interfers with the natural development of the curves in the spine. When they're a little wobbly a Boppy behind them will break any falls and before that they can play on their bellies which is great for their physical development.

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
Old 12-11-2008, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
So the most helpful things to me were a collection of good slings, and a mesh sling so I can take them into the shower with me.
A mesh sling? How cool is that! Where'd you get such a brilliant thing?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovermom View Post
You're right. Children should not be in the seated position until they can maintain it on their own. Forcing them into this position in the Bumbo interfers with the natural development of the curves in the spine. When they're a little wobbly a Boppy behind them will break any falls and before that they can play on their bellies which is great for their physical development.
Eh, it can be argued either way, since there's research that also supports the use of Bumbos in developmentally challenged children. But it's a fairly contentious topic around MDC for some mamas. For me, I think as with anything, it's all about moderation. I'm also not a fan of the dangling legs/crotch support of many baby carriers, but I think an exersaucer, with feet firmly on the ground, can be a wonderful thing for short periods at a time. So something that might be troubling or pointless for one parent, might be no big deal, or actually helpful for another.

It's absolutely about comfort levels, but it all goes back to the point that was so aptly made: what is necessary and good for one parent/babe, may not be for another.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
DD loved the bouncy seat- and always had a BM if we turned the vibrator on (it was really funny to us for some reason). I loved the seat because I could put her in it and shower. She used the swing too, but not as much. We had a bumbo seat but she never really used it. Whenever we put her in it she would slide around too much, and just didn't like it.

Josie: That would make me mad too. This countries attitude towards birth is screwed up.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
Old 12-11-2008, 07:14 PM

Josie, I hope it somehow gets to that HR woman's supervisor about the way she treated you about this issue. Did she even apologize for making a mistake?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:20 PM

Josie: That makes me mad too! I'm so glad that you midwife made that call. Good luck with the local union changes. I"m sorry this has to be so frustrating for you.

Good news on the Doula front...
I spoke with her on the phone today and it sounds great! We will meet over lunch next week for more details but I'm really excited. She is available when I need her and she used hypnobirthing for both of her births. She kept saying how great it was and how much it really does work. I would love to have someone with me who has used it and can help me with my cues. (and guide DH in helping me with my cues) I'm really looking forward to meeting with her next week! :

Last night I woke up yelling in pain because of a charlie horse in my calf. Man it was the worst. I got up to stretch and still feel tightness in my calf (I'm glad I have yoga tonight). Do I remember correctly about reading the suggestion of taking calcium/magnesium supplements before bed or was that for something else? Also, how far apart do you have to take iron (in my prenatal) and calcium?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovermom View Post
I didn't know Bumbos were controversial. But we all hold our babies on our laps in a seated position from early on, don't we? Is that considered damaging, too?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
A mesh sling? How cool is that! Where'd you get such a brilliant thing?
I think it's called solarveil? I know that it is UV resistant and is supposed to be used in pools or at the beach. And well, I use it in the shower. LOL!

I have no idea where I got it--it was 4 years ago, but if you google solarveil sling, they may still make them!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 PM

I'm pretty sure Hotslings makes a mesh sling, too.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 12-11-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:

Last night I woke up yelling in pain because of a charlie horse in my calf. Man it was the worst. I got up to stretch and still feel tightness in my calf (I'm glad I have yoga tonight). Do I remember correctly about reading the suggestion of taking calcium/magnesium supplements before bed or was that for something else? Also, how far apart do you have to take iron (in my prenatal) and calcium?
Congrats on the encouraging news with the doula!!!

About the cramps, be sure to stretch your toes up and back toward the top of your knee. Never point your toes or press them downward. That makes the cramp worse.

Magnesium, calcium, and potassium are all good for cramp prevention (big fan of magnesium especially, myself). Take them together at bedtime because they act well together as overall relaxants. Ideally vitamins should be taken in the morning as they tend to energize, and iron should be taken with vitamin C -- which is very energizing -- for better absorption. So take your iron in the morning if you can. Either way give ~ two hours if possible between calcium and iron supplements. I take iron first thing in the morning, with cranberry capsules and OJ (it's a great iron that doesn't bother my tummy at all). Then my prenatal. I take magnesium and calcium/potassium right before bed.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 PM

Man, I am so beat! Thankfully Eva's in bed, and dh and Axel are out playing basketball. I was running around all day- Axel had his first dentist appointment, groceries, post office... I haven't been sleeping that great, and no rest/naps today, so I'm ready to head to bed!

We've had a bouncy seat and a swing- and if I were to buy something it would be the swing. Both were given to us, so we didn't really chose. Bumbo's just seem weird to me- personally holding a child on your lap is totally different than propping them up.

Josie- glad you got that worked out, but how stupid! You're right to be mad about it.

oh, I can't even write anything more. Off to bed. My backup midwife comes tomorrow for a home visit, and she's building a strawbale house too, so I get to show her our system (offgrid) for her own interest, as well as for understanding it when she comes for the birth.

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
I love thinking about it in days! I've got somewhere around 65-70 left, I think. I'm really not ready for Baby in terms of stuff and arrangements, but i think it's some weird mental block I'm having. I just have this fear that if i put the crib together and move it into our room, open the car seat box, that sort of thing, then something will happen to baby. Is that weird? I mean there's no reason to think anything bad will happen... I guess the more prepared I am, the more heartbroken I will be if, God forbid, something happened and I couldn't bring her home. I guess I need to get over that. My parents are coming to visit on Thursday, so maybe that will help. I dunno.

I guess all of the preparation will get done in time.
If you have a new car seat, I would open it asap to let it off-gas

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
Old 12-11-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At my appointment today we discovered that baby boy is now head down, not exactly engaged but not floating either. Hooray!

User Tag List