Weekly chit-chat December 6th-12th - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 112 Old 12-11-2008, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's great!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 12:50 AM

I'm signed up for Cloth Diapering 101! And I had a better conversation with my best friend about my baby. She keeps pushing disposables, formula and an epidural on me. So tonight I told her that my dr recommend natural childbirthing and my friend was all, well... if that's what you want to do ok but for me, the pain was so unbearable that I was totally out of it until I had the epi. I feel bad because she always asks me how I'm doing and she's really excited that I'm pregnant but she's so not open to what I am interested in. I am ok that we disagree but hate that she keeps pushing me! It's a big reason why I don't talk to her more about my pregnancy.

I'm still worried that my baby will come out malnourished because I'm not "gaining enough" but my tummy is round and stretch marked. I forgot to ask my dr about the fundal height (I think that's what it's called?) but DH is trying to get me to relax about it. He's not worried but I am!

I still need a carseat and my parents are coming over this weekend to help us with the house. I've been searching craiglist for bathroom items, like tiles or glass blocks. I'm finding stuff but so far, not the right sizes. I have to cut myself off from buying diapers for the rest of December.

I'm starting to freak out about the reality of my baby being here and the diapers so far are the only things that help take my mind off the "realness" of the situation. Baby clothes freak me out. But diapers and trying to be a better crocheter make it not so scary for me. Part of me feels guilty that our current circumstances aren't so great but I just need to remind myself this phase is temporary!
#93 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 04:29 AM

Thanks ladies for your support. I'm having a much better day today. The women at work threw me a shower! It was so much fun opening little baby things (in green or yellow, of course) . I had written a little list of things that I needed for my new infant set up and I got a lot of those things: towels, onsies, burp cloths, receiving blankets, etc. I also got a lot of things I had never imagined needing. The one that makes me laugh is the VERY sophisticated video camera monitor--for our one bedroom apartment. It works up to 2000 feet away. How's that for attachment parenting, Mamas? But people were very kind, and I feel blessed.

My question is, though, I've read so much about plastics in clothing and dangerous chemicals in baby toys, what should I do about it? Do I ban the soft fleece and cozy 100% polyester sleepers? Do I get rid of the soft plastic teethers and hard plastic rattles? Should I call the companies of the items I have received? Am I a nut case for even considering it? I know this is baby #1 for me and I'm probably over reacting, but what would you more seasoned mamas do? To make matters worse, I'm completely alone in this. I don't have any friends who have researched pacifier brands to learn which ones use safe plastics so I feel a bit like a freak to begin with. Thanks!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#94 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 09:05 AM

JosieAK- I'm so happy that things are better. And a shower, how super nice!
As far as plastics go, I'm sure you'll get the whole range of replies, and you'll just have to make up your own mind anyway but here's what works for our family.
No pacifiers or plastic chewy-sucky things. Not plastic rattles or baby toys. We have wood or cloth versions of these things. My chewy-sucky baby loved his little flannel knot doll, wooden rattle toys, things like that for teething and sucking on.
We love those silly little "baby safe feeders" when they're a little older for ice cubes and apple slices and things like that, but they never chewed on the plastic handles.
I love polarfleece. I'm sure lots of people keep it away from their babies, but I really don't want to imagine a world without it. Really. It's cold where we live, and nothing beats it for lightweight warm layers. We have tons of wool, and things like mitties and hats and things that are likely to end up in the mouth are wool or silk, but I love a fleece blanket wrapped around in the stroller or car seat, fleece buntings, little fleece shirts and leggings, fleece lined booties and vests.
I make up the baby's day-sleeping nest with flannel and wool layers, and I replaced the cradle mattress with one I made myself out of wool batting and felted wool covers, with flannel sheets. I didn't trust the store mattress to not be toxic.
That's pretty much our palstics policy- no plastic toys or chewies, yes plastic utilitarian items.
#95 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 11:10 AM

So, my sore throat from the other day turned into a full fledged flu. Horrible timing, coming during finals week at school! It's been horrible, because I really needed to be at home in bed all day yesterday like my husband was, but I had two finals and those can't be made up so I had no option of missing it. I commute to school from about half an hour away, so I had to get up super early and drive all the way there then drive all the way back home.
I did end up running a fever Wednesday night. Our thermometer was on the fritz, so I'm not sure how high it got. I got ahold of a nurse at my midwife's office yesterday morning who told me Tylenol would be okay to take and I really needed to make sure to stay on top of the fever, but I've been avoiding it as much as possible. I broke down and took enough to get me through my finals yesterday, but I'm hoping to make it through the day today without having to take any... which means missing another day of work probably.
DH is feeling much better and went back to work today. He got to lay on the couch and sleep for a day and a half while I had to work on Wednesday night and go to school yesterday. I fully believe that's the only reason I'm not feeling better by now, I've had to push myself more than I wanted to while sick. So, today I'm on the couch resting the entire day. I really don't want to be fighting this all weekend, we have too much to get done!

I just feel so bad for my little one in there. I don't know what it's like for her in there when I'm feeling like crap, but I just don't feel like I can take good care of her when I'm barely able to take care of myself...

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#96 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama-aya View Post
No pacifiers or plastic chewy-sucky things. Not plastic rattles or baby toys. We have wood or cloth versions of these things. My chewy-sucky baby loved his little flannel knot doll, wooden rattle toys, things like that for teething and sucking on. <snip>

I love polarfleece. I'm sure lots of people keep it away from their babies, but I really don't want to imagine a world without it. Really. It's cold where we live, and nothing beats it for lightweight warm layers.
We do some plastic toys, but I don't like the baby to chew on them too much. Truth is, wooden toys can be just as dangerous (some have been found to contain lead in the paint) depending on how they are finished. I would say if you can natural, oil-finished wooden toys, that would be preferable.

As fas polyester fleece, ugg, I can't stand the way it feels. We avoid it. I would probably be okay with is if someone bought us an outfit for the baby that included a fleece jacket, but I probably wouldn't buy that myself. I absolutely positively WILL NOT put the baby in one of those 100% polyester sleepers or rompers. My older boys don't wear polyester pajamas either.

But you might find you have different preferences.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#97 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
So, my sore throat from the other day turned into a full fledged flu. Horrible timing, coming during finals week at school!
<snip>
I just feel so bad for my little one in there. I don't know what it's like for her in there when I'm feeling like crap, but I just don't feel like I can take good care of her when I'm barely able to take care of myself...
Aw, I hope you feel better! Don't worry about baby, she'll be fine-- your body will actually take care of her first! Consider taking a bunch of vitamin C and some cod liver oil (fighting off viruses uses up Vitamin A). And try to relax! The stress hormones WILL affect her, but only if you're really stressed out. (Don't stress out about that!)

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#98 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post

My question is, though, I've read so much about plastics in clothing and dangerous chemicals in baby toys, what should I do about it? Do I ban the soft fleece and cozy 100% polyester sleepers? Do I get rid of the soft plastic teethers and hard plastic rattles? Should I call the companies of the items I have received? Am I a nut case for even considering it? I know this is baby #1 for me and I'm probably over reacting, but what would you more seasoned mamas do? To make matters worse, I'm completely alone in this. I don't have any friends who have researched pacifier brands to learn which ones use safe plastics so I feel a bit like a freak to begin with. Thanks!
Don't worry about PJs and flame retardant chems until you're looking at 9-12 month size. Then stick with cotton snug-fitting PJs or fleece playclothes, not sleepwear. I'm fine with polyester fleece playwear (it's recycled it's in my diapers -- I'm okay with it) prior to the mobility age -- at that age (9-12 months, and 12+ months) they add chemicals to the fibers prior to weaving the fabric even, for designated sleepwear. The chemicals are linked to endocrine issues, and other problems. I know some people dislike polyfleece because it's not a natural fiber and that's fine. But not all polyfleece is the same. While it is all flame resistant (it melts instead of flaming up), not all is treated with flame retardant chemicals. And for me, that's the distinction in terms of my comfort level.

But relying on 100% cotton sleepwear isn't a guarantee either. Some manufacturers (like LL Bean) have started adding a variation of the retardant chems to cotton PJs too.

Hanna Andersson is a great retailer for organic cotton PJs (they are slightly more snug-fitting now than they used to be but still great products -- and they're having a sale right now, matter of fact!). The Children's Place has good cotton footie PJs -- not organic, but affordable. They nearly always have some on clearance over at Amazon. You can always go with wool (naturally flame resistant) but it's expensive. We stick with layering.

They also add flame retardant chems to things like carseat covers. Washing in soap and fabric softener can help break down the chems slightly (and won't hurt the cover, as long as you're washing it in cold -- don't want to shrink it!), but it's no guarantee that it is actually removing the chems. Still, it doesn't hurt. Hang to dry.

Avoid things like vinyl mattress covers. These off-gas. Use wool blankets (cheap Army/Navy, cut to size, or wool puddle pads) as mattress protectors instead. Get an organic crib mattress if you can afford it, and baby will be sleeping in crib.

Look at the ingredients in baby products. Keep in mind that any soap is drying to baby's sensitive skin and scalp. Plain water works great for bathing. Look at alternatives to petroleum-based products.

Check these sites for potential hazards with toys:

http://www.environmentcalifornia.org...pers_Guide.pdf
http://www.pollutioninpeople.org/saf.../kids-products
http://www.zrecommends.com/
http://www.zrecsguide.com/
http://www.truceteachers.org/toyactionguide.html
http://www.healthytoys.org/product.askforinfo.php

For pacifiers:
http://www.zrecsguide.com/products/c...avent/380/336/ Click the jump to to scroll to next brand in list.

There are more links out there. PM me if that's not enough.

Check out some natural toy makers and distributors, like Oompa, Nova Natural, Magic Cabin, etc. You can search through LwaB and Toddler forums for more retailers and manufacturers. Stick with European-designed toys, as they have to adhere to much stricter and safer regulations than US-designed toys.

Avoid plastics other than 1, 2 and 5.

Stick to organic foods once baby's eating solids. Delay solids until at least 6 months (can trigger food allergies/sensitivities if introduced before gut is mature enough to handle the solid particles). Breastfeed! Breastfeed! Breastfeed!

There's lots and lots and lots more, but it is very possible to avoid a good deal of hazardous and chemical influences. Not possible to avoid all in most cases (the padding in carseats offgas, for instance -- which is why it's important to let them air out as much as possible before use, as PP pointed out). But minimizing is key, and very doable.

#99 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 12:18 PM

So sorry you're sick, Mal! That's the worst. I had the flu in my 37th week last time, and was in bed for five days. I hope your finals go well and that afterward you are able to totally relax.

Plastics: my big thing is "Made in China." Doesn't matter whether it's plastic or wood, I'd rather have something made in Europe, the U.S. or Canada, where they have decent dafety standards and are more likely to stick to them. I do allow plastic chewies - especially teethers, we couldn't survive without that triangle that goes in the freezer - but I avoid Plastic #7 and PVC like the plague. In fact I am arguing with my MW right now because she wants me to get a PVC shower curtain liner for my bed - she is wrong, "airing those out" doesn't work.

As for fleece pajamas, I don't mind them except that I find them to be so sweaty because they don't breathe at all. Babies are much warmer than we give them credit for, they really don't need to be bundled up as much as is traditional, and they will sleep badly if they are too hot. If you are cosleeping, fleece will almost definitely be too hot because of the shared body heat. But if your home is cold and the baby is sleeping on their own, fleece is not a bad option. Its big advantage is that it is not treated with that fire-retardant chemical, like cotton pj's are. I like fleece a lot for going outside, it really blocks the wind. I wish I could find flannel pj's though.

My fantasy is that someone will buy me one of those cashmere baby outfits as a luxe gift. They're dreamy!
#100 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid View Post
In fact I am arguing with my MW right now because she wants me to get a PVC shower curtain liner for my bed - she is wrong, "airing those out" doesn't work.
Target recently started selling PVC-free shower curtain liners. It's what's in our bathroom, and I'm picking up an extra one to have on hand just in case we're snowed in when I go into labor.

#101 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 12:39 PM

Hey, that's great to know, thanks Nighten! You are a veritable font!
#102 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 12:45 PM

You're welcome. I'm just very anal about stuff I buy is all. And rather obsessive when it comes to research....

But I'm very happy to share whatever info I find. And if your Targets don't have the curtains, let me know. I'll see if I can pick one up at mine and mail it to you or something. PVC ones smell just awful. They burn my lungs. I'd hate to think of that being anywhere near my newborn.

#103 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 12:46 PM

Mal85, I'm so sorry that you're sick, it sounds miserable. But I wouldn't worry about Baby--your body will take care of her.

kssinca, what's Cloth Diapering 101? I want in on that! And I know what you mean about the reality of everything...I'm okay with thinking about diapers but I have no idea how to dress a baby.

DreamsInDigital, yay for turning babies! Hopefully mine will follow soon. I keep telling her how important it is.

Enudely, good point about airing out the carseat. I forgot all about that!

AKislandgirl, great news about the doula! And I strongly second nighten's magnesium recommendation. Just one every other day has made all the difference for me.

As for me, my parents are in town for the weekend so I'm hoping to get into the holiday spirit a little bit. Huz had his tonsils out on Monday and I've been really uncomfortable with the pubic bone pain, so we could use some cheering up.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

#104 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 02:20 PM

Pay day! Woohoooo! I have soooo much I need to do! ANd it feels fantastic to have a pay day after weeks of not having one.

:
#105 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 03:44 PM

Wow, thank you so much! I really appreciate that information. I have been feeling like I don't want to have plastics that go in the mouth (thanks for the reminder about wood paints). I received a couple of 100% polyester fleece sleepers yesterday. I've felt fine about passing on the ones that have been handed down to me, but this was a little different. Especially as my husband picked up the yellow ducky one and, in a moment of rare sentimentality, hugged it with amazement saying, "Our little child will be in this! A little person will be this size and fill this out." I couldn't exactly say, "Not on your life!" I'll keep vigilant on the plastics, be careful of the polyesters and such, and buy things with natural materials.

Now mattresses. My first exposure to the idea that SIDS is caused by a combination of mattress off-gassing and baby spit-up cultures, was through an article on MDC, which I can't seem to find again. I've researched it elsewhere online and see that people have had good results using the BebeSafe mattress covers and a strict cotton bedding policy. We have a used crib (currently in storage for when the baby is slightly older), a used bassinet, and our used (family passed down) queen sized mattress. Now what? My husband is adamantly opposed to co-sleeping, so I plan to use a bassinet directly next to the bed and expect that the baby MAY spend half the night in bed with me. I know I need to have some sort of mattress pad for our bed (for amniotic fluid all the way through baby urine), but I HATE the thought of getting something with vinyl in it. Should I get a BebeSafe for my thin bassinet mattress and crib mattress? What should I do with my bed? I don't know how many of my sheets are 100% cotton. All of the mattress pads that I can afford have polyester fill. Even my pillows are just stuffed with fluff! Please refer me if I'm asking questions that have been asked elsewhere, but I just thought that since you all were so helpful with the plastics question, you might be able to help me with this other soul-wrenching issue!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#106 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 05:09 PM

For mattress protectors, use wool. Wool works great -- you can cut it to fit; no need to hem even -- and it works very well for repelling moisture and bacteria growth. And not all mattress pads/covers are polyester-based. I found an all-cotton one at TJ Maxx for cheap not long ago, actually.

The thing about wrapping mattresses are some potential issues to consider:

1. You are sleeping on plastic. True, it's a foodgrade plastic that doesn't offgas, and it locks in the chemical gasses of the mattress, plus it's waterproof, so that's good, but it's still plastic, which means it's loud. You have to have some kind of protection between it and your sheets unless you want it to feel slippery and be loud underneath you. Thick wool would be great for this, I'd think.

2. Because it's totally encasing the whole mattress, it's potentially trapping in moisture. Which can result in mildew issues. This, I would think, would be tied into whether your home is older and/or damp, etc. to begin with? I don't know. Something to consider? It was a concern for us but we live in an older house.

3. If it's a partial wrap (top only) then you're still dealing with problem #1 and there is still off-gassing from the mattress itself. I'm pretty sure the Bebe ones are full wraps though, yes?

Whichever wrap you go with, make sure it is 100% foodgrade polyethylene. You can get one for a larger bed (if you do end up cosleeping and want to wrap your older mattress) here:

http://www.offgassing-mattress-wraps...ress-wraps.htm

Get a wool cover for it. This can be anything from a wool blanket (like from the Army/Navy store) to a full on tufted type mattress pad:

http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping...ads.html#sizes

http://www.snugglewool.com/shop/catalog.php?category=17 (this one has bassinet sizes)

The thicker the pad, the more protection in terms of sound and feel from the plastic.

If money's an issue, look at the total of a new mattress (non-org), wrap, and wool pad versus organic mattress.

We got this crib mattress from Dax:

http://www.daxstores.com/v-snq-crib.html (they have free shipping)

It was affordable. The twin mattress we're getting for G's new bed is much more expensive. But still barely over what we'd spend for all the others. So it's a tossup.

Also, be aware that you may have to get custom crib sheets made to fit if the mattress/wrap/pad ends up thicker. Our organic crib mattress was really hard to fit, but we did find some that would.

In terms of your bed being older, and your pillows, etc, if you're really worried, you can wrap the mattress and replace the pillows. Apparently pillows should be replaced every year or two anyway, esp. if you don't wash them regularly. Using more than one pillowcase at a time (like the zippered kind underneath) can help I think, as can washing them every 6 months. Be sure to let soak first and run extra rinses. Make sure they're totally dry before sleeping on them.

There's one school of thought that older pillows/bedding/mattresses don't offgas as much and aren't as dangerous. Other people believe they are more harmful because of the accumulation of bacteria and microscopic bugs, etc.

I'm of the former. I think that if you keep your pillows and bedding clean, and have some kind of mattress pad on the bed, that helps. And that overtime while the chemicals don't all dissipate, I think that they are less harmful. We have an organic crib mattress, but our mattress is not organic and we coslept a long time. The pillows on Winnie's bed are organic or all natural. My pillow is memory foam (which doesn't smell anymore but is still probably bad). Her bedding is cotton but she also has fleece blankets. I don't have issues with plain polyester. I have issues with certain types of poly-fibers that offgas. Not all do. It's a personal thing. If you don't like it, don't use it.

The problem with used baby/children's bedding is that you're looking at different fluids potentially on/in them and resulting moisture and/or bacteria there, in lieu of or in addition to any chemicals that may still be offgassing.

I would definitely replace the bassinet mattress, if it's pre-used. And there are some things I would never want near the baby -- including vinyl/PVC, which is the typical cover for baby mattresses. You can make a mattress for the bassinet if need be, out of wool and cotton quilting batting. It wouldn't need to be more than 2 or 3 inches thick. Just make sure it's firm and the bedding fits tightly. Be sure to keep the room no warmer than 68-degrees or so and don't overheat baby with too much clothing. Those are contributors to SIDS too. Always put baby on her back to sleep. I found I couldn't sleep without baby right next to me. And she couldn't sleep unless she was right next to me. There are lots of cosleeping links out there that show it helps prevent SIDS. I'll send you some if you like. We didn't plan to cosleep but did and I'm very glad we did. We plan to with new baby.

I can understand the concern about avoiding any non-natural fibers, but if your sheets are a blend, and are so old you don't recall if they're a blend, my vote is they're fine. That's just me. But as with anything, if you're not comfortable with any polyester, then there are plenty of ways to avoid it. Wool and cotton are your best bets, for sure.

#107 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 05:28 PM

Thanks again. That is very helpful and gives me a lot to think about. I will for sure look into those links. It's a good idea to just go ahead and replace the bassinet mattress--I'll have to check the price of organic ones or maybe sew one up quick. Thankfully we have a little time before the crib comes into use, but I'll definitely be brainstorming about the next step for our bed soon. Thank you so much! I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

#108 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 05:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM1LJaOIu34

I found this in the Safety forum...since we were talking about baby clothes and the car seat!

Its pretty cool! Thought I would share!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#109 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
At my appointment today we discovered that baby boy is now head down, not exactly engaged but not floating either. Hooray!
mine too!!

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#110 of 112 Old 12-12-2008, 09:17 PM

That's interesting. I wonder how much padding is too much in clothing? We've got an outfit that's padded but certainly not a snowsuit. Hrmmm. I'll have to re-examine it and see how thick the padding is.

Thanks for sharing, BG.

#111 of 112 Old 12-13-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
That's interesting. I wonder how much padding is too much in clothing? We've got an outfit that's padded but certainly not a snowsuit. Hrmmm. I'll have to re-examine it and see how thick the padding is.

Thanks for sharing, BG.
Yeah mom pulling him out of the seat was pretty good for a visual type like me!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#112 of 112 Old 12-13-2008, 01:37 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1012261

New week, new thread!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page