Who's cloth diapering... and what's in your stash? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am I am! I pared down... but still have way more than I need I got some amazing deals when I had Tobias and so most of these are from him with just a few new things thrown in.

I have:
-lots of infant prefolds (indian unbleached and chinese bleached)
-2 WAHM fitteds (small)
-2 Little Caboose fitteds (small)
-1 Mudpie Baby fitted (small)
-1 Dimple Cheeks fitted (small)
-1 Kissaluvs fitted (size 0)
-4 Country Cuttins fitteds (2 newborn, 2 small)
-1 Magicall aio (small)
-4 Happy Heiny's pockets (extra small)
-3 Fuzzi Bunz pockets (small)
-1 Swaddlebees pocket (small)
-1 Dimple Cheeks pocket (small)
-4 Namaste Mama pockets (one size)
-9 bumGenius pockets (one size)

That's 32 diapers plus lots of prefolds. And then I have lots of mediums for later as well, but these are the ones that I have pulled out and washed for now.

Then for covers I don't have a complete inventory because they aren't all back yet. The sad thing is that I am missing sooooooooooo many diapers because I gave a whole stash worth (enough to use cloth exclusively I mean) to a friend and her partner wrecked a lot of them by not washing them properly and using creams on them *cry* Not that I don't have enough, it's just sad because some of my favourites with Tobias I won't get to use again.

Anyway... on to the point of the post What's in your stash?

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought tons of different kinds last time and I only ended up really using prefolds and fuzzi bunz. This time I plan to just get prefolds and BGs (because they'll fit longer). I'm trying to decide between Indian and Chinese prefolds though. I used Bummis wraps last time and I'll probably do the same as they worked really well.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Our just came yesterday! So cute.

We have:
  • 6 kissaluvs size 0
  • 2 happy heinies one size
  • 36 prefolds
  • 6 bummis super whisper covers
  • 6 fuzzibunz size small
Do you think that's enough?

We don't have a change table, and are hoping not to need one. I think we'll change baby on our bed mostly. We need a pail too.
Now I have to get washing them!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
Our just came yesterday! So cute.

We have:
  • 6 kissaluvs size 0
  • 2 happy heinies one size
  • 36 prefolds
  • 6 bummis super whisper covers
  • 6 fuzzibunz size small
Do you think that's enough?

We don't have a change table, and are hoping not to need one. I think we'll change baby on our bed mostly. We need a pail too.
Now I have to get washing them!
I think that looks like plenty. The only thing I might look at is what size are your covers? If they are small they may not fit right away. I had an 8lb 12oz baby who never lost, gained (lots ) right from the start and the small didn't fit him for a couple of weeks. That's why I have the newborn stuff on hand.

If they are small you can either pick up a couple of newborn covers, or make some recycled wool or fleece soakers which are awesome

As for the change table... we have never had one. I always just changed baby wherever we were and then threw the diaper in the pail (a garbage can with lid).

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
Old 12-09-2008, 03:44 PM

Thanks, triscuit ... I did notice that the covers look a little big.
I might get a couple wee ones, if we can scrape the money together.
The kissaluvs looks so cozy and sweet ... I can't wait to see our baby's little bum in there.

Another question ... Do you use anything to close your prefolds before putting on the cover? Like a snappi? Or do you just plop it in there?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:09 PM

No newborn sized stuff here yet. Am still waiting to see how our finances are, but I've got about 3 dozen small FBs, lots of spare inserts, and the medium FBs are still being worn by my toddler. If we have to use disposables the first few weeks, so be it. I'd really hoped to go with KLs or prefolds for the newborn stage, but the money may simply not be there. Oh well.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 12-09-2008, 04:58 PM

I am switching back to cloth with this baby but I don't have anything yet. My friend is planning me to lend me the ones she made for her baby. Once I see what she has then I'll buy whatever else I feel I need.

:
Old 12-09-2008, 05:08 PM

I am totally lacking in this area. So far I have a dozen infant size Indian unbleached prefolds (do you think I'll need any newborn size or can I just fold the infant ones smaller?). I have one Thirsties XS cover.

I want to buy more, but have been told by family members not to get anything else until I have a shower. That's not coming until January, so until then I'm just feeling unprepared!

What I'd like to end up with...
-at least 36 infant prefolds
-4 or 5 BG
-6 or so covers, mixture between Bummis and Thirsties. (friend of mine told me the Bummis XS weren't worth buying because they run smaller than the Thirsties and her newborn could only wear them for about a week... any thoughts?)
-4 or 5 Snappis (any luck with these mamas? I've heard good and bad...)
-diaper pail (small trash can with lid)

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 12-09-2008, 05:11 PM

Just working on washing mine today:

12 Kissaluvs size 0
6 Thirsties size XS
24 NB prefolds
4 Thirsties XS covers
2 Bummies Super Whisper Wrap NB covers
Old 12-09-2008, 05:24 PM

Mal - I loved Snappis. There's a bit of a learning curve, but once you have it down it's a cinch.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:55 PM

I make all of mine!! I made a gorgeous set of cotton sherpa/cotton velour newborn fitted diapers. I made 5-6 newborn covers and 5 small covers to go with that set. (set of 24)

I have been sewing like a madwoman the past couple weeks to get a set of size small fitted diapers done. (fluffy cotton sherpa and some velour ones too) I will use the small covers with these as well and will probably have to move to size medium covers before she grows out of the small diapers. (I am making a set of 24)

Then I made a set of girly medium pocket diapers and I made inserts to go in them. I have about 22 of those.

After the medium pockets, I have a set of large pockets that she will grow into. My son is wearing them now, but he will be potty learned by then. I also plan to make a few more large pockets in girly colors for her.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:00 PM

I have 2 dozen flats and a dozen prefolds, a few Muttaqin fitteds, some PUL covers, 2 fleece covers and 1 pair of longies for the newborn stage. I don't have anything bigger than that yet but hope to buy more with our tax refund.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:11 PM

I splurged last summer when our tax rebate came in. I am so excited to CD a newborn. I think we have

12 kissaluvs 0s
6 XS thirsties
24 infant prefolds
12 premie prefolds
8 misc PUL covers in newborn
6 misc small PUL covers
3 or 4 small WWBs and similar covers

We have all the medium covers and prem prefolds we need left from ds. I'm a little concerned about needing small fitted thirties or something similar, because both my boys were around 8 lbs at birth and never stopped growing. I'm afraid he'll grow out of the Kluvs in the first week or 2. But I'm more willing to wait and see, than I am ready to spend more money right now. At least then, I can sell off what isn't working, I hope.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:19 PM

I'm planning on doing EC but I do have a small stash to be used as back up. I have 24 infant prefolds and 20 regular prefolds (all indian unbleached), 3 thirsties covers in xsmall and 3 in small, 30 wipes, and 1 snappi. If I need to order more I will. Oh I also have 2 little potties from ikea for the EC

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 12-09-2008, 06:35 PM

I'm just reading "Diaper Free" right now ... we're hoping to EC, but I thought I should be prepared with diapers just in case. Maybe we'll see each other over on the EC thread in the spring?

Old 12-09-2008, 08:56 PM

I have become completely obbsessed with cloth diaper research of late! So much fun...
I feel very fortunate that my sister has cloth diapered all 7 of her kids and filled me in on her favorites. She gave me most of my stash and I bought a few more NB things. Once baby is here I'll decide what else I want and my mom said she'd buy it. She said her favorite thing is buying her grandbabies new diapers and snowsuits. Sweet!

Here is what I have now:
24 infant prefolds
3 GMD infant fitteds
12 NB fitteds (tags no longer on them...don't know who made them)
3 fitted kissaluvs size 0
20 motherease one sized
8 motherease sandy's in small
6 motherease sandy's in large (put away in the back of the closet!)
6 various covers in NB
8 various covers in small
1 babyology longie in small
1 babyology shortie in small
1 babyology longie in medium
1 babyology shortie in medium
12 or so doublers
3 snappis
36 cloth wipes

What I want:
when I get a better feel for her body type and how we are doing I'll have my mom get us some all in one or pocket diapers. Maybe bumgenious or fuzzi bunz, also looking at the sposo easy. I don't want to invest in any of these in NB sizes though. Luckily the only NB things I actually bought were a few covers and the prefolds. I can use the prefolds as doublers later which is good.

I also plan to get some wool wrap style covers as well.

I love little bitty cloth diapers! So cute!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 12-09-2008, 11:40 PM

here's my stash...

2 small nanas bottoms
6 BG 3.0
3 small dry-bees
36 newborn prefolds
2 bummis covers
3 snappis
1 fleece cover that I adore

Mommy to Abigail 2/09hearts.gif and Ollie 3/11energy.gif

Old 12-09-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
I am totally lacking in this area. So far I have a dozen infant size Indian unbleached prefolds (do you think I'll need any newborn size or can I just fold the infant ones smaller?). I have one Thirsties XS cover.

-4 or 5 Snappis (any luck with these mamas? I've heard good and bad...)
We used infant prefolds from the start and I loved them. I also had snappis and I didn't start using pins until I was in a pinch and didn't have a snappi when he was quite a bit bigger. I can use both now but I love the snappis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post
We have all the medium covers and prem prefolds we need left from ds. I'm a little concerned about needing small fitted thirties or something similar, because both my boys were around 8 lbs at birth and never stopped growing. I'm afraid he'll grow out of the Kluvs in the first week or 2. But I'm more willing to wait and see, than I am ready to spend more money right now. At least then, I can sell off what isn't working, I hope.
Mine was almost 9, and never lost weight, but gained tons right from the start... the kissaluvs fit for quite a while. We actually stopped using them because of absorbancy at some point (because he'd hold and then flood) not because of size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
I'm planning on doing EC but I do have a small stash to be used as back up. I have 24 infant prefolds and 20 regular prefolds (all indian unbleached), 3 thirsties covers in xsmall and 3 in small, 30 wipes, and 1 snappi. If I need to order more I will. Oh I also have 2 little potties from ikea for the EC
That is awesome! We're planning on ECing as well, so there will be two of us around town at least

Alison
Old 12-10-2008, 12:51 AM

We're CDing, although we've trimmed down our stash a lot. Because I used to run a cloth diapering store for several years, we had quite an extensive stash. I've since moved to all fuzzi bunz with Jocelyn, and Amelia will start out in mainly prefolds. I have a ton of preemie unbleached indian prefolds, some handmade fitteds that we bought for Ryland and never got to use, plus a couple really cute fitteds a friend made me--those will get us through until she's out of the preemies and newborn diapers. Then she'll fit into the fuzzi bunz, wool, and fitteds we've had since Brandon was a baby. :

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 12-10-2008, 01:26 AM

We are!!! I didn't start until ds was 4 months and 22lbs last time so we started in larges. I haven't done the newborn stage yet.
I got an awesome deal on an AIO monkey doodle package. I got 8 nb monkey doodlez AIO's. I also have:
17 pfs
4 small covers incl 1 fleece.
1 BG 3.0
1 baby kanga
1 mommy's touch one size
9 motherease one size fitteds
3 newborn fitteds
I have made a pair of sm wool shorties, a wool diaper wrap, a nb wool soaker, I am currently making a sm longies. I'm new at making these so getting the sizing right is tricky.
3 small fuzzibunz (do these fit newborns?)

I think I might need some newborn covers still but I might just make do with the wool ones I am making.
I still want a package of berry plush but this is a want not a need.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 12-10-2008, 03:04 AM

I am cd'ing this time around and excited about all the options! I used one size fitted diapers with dd which worked all right, but then ended up with disposables at nights. With ds I tried the cloth...and disposable...and cloth...and then finally the pampers cruisers contained the leaks. It was crazy and I had no advice for keeping him dry. So frustrating. So I gave up on cloth. Now I know better and hopefully can make this work full time!

Right now I have:

- 2 dozen infant prefolds
- 10 kissaluv nb
- stacinator nb cover
- pull on wool cover
- 5 bummi whisper wraps, nb
- 6 small covers, bummis, thirsties etc

In January I plan to add more including some type of all in one, more prefolds, and some more wool. I can't wait to start washing the prefolds and arranging diapers lol!

Triscuitsmom - what did you use for your heavy wetter after the kl's didn't work out? Just the prefolds? Did you use inserts?

Is anyone buying inserts right away and do you commonly use those with prefolds?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:59 PM

For a heavy wetter get bamboo!!! It's the ultimate for heavy wetters. My ds could pee through hemp and microfibre but never bamboo.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 12-10-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
We're planning on ECing as well, so there will be two of us around town at least
I'll be lurking on the EC'ing forum, so make sure you let us know how it goes. I love the concept but with having to come back to work I don't think it would be possible for me. I give you lots of credit for it though!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:53 PM

For the newborn stage, I have
6 bummis whisper wraps
30 indian prefolds
10 fleece liners
tons of cloth wipes

For the med. stage, I don't have much.
A few bummis whisper wraps and prefolds, but I'll probably buy med. fuzzi bunz for this stage or maybe bum genius.

For large, I have 24 lg fuzzi bunz

I don't like aio's for the newborn stage because I have to change so often. It's easier to just throw a new prefold into the diaper than to change the whole diaper....well, maybe not easier, just more cost efficient.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 12-10-2008, 05:08 PM

chaoticzen... do you snappi or pin your prefolds, or just let them hang out in the cover?

Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 PM

I use wrap diaper covers with velcro to hold the prefolds. I had snappies, prefolds and nylon pants last time, but it was a real hassle to keep the snappy in place. I use such soft prefolds that the snappy had to be really tight. If this is your first time cloth diapering, don't go crazy on any one style....try several.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 12-10-2008, 10:37 PM

We have:

24 Sherpa/fleece contours (good up to 22 lbs or so)
12 fitteds of random size and brand (probably good for 10-22 pounds or so)
1 NB cover
3 Small Bummies SWW
1 Small MotherEase wrap
1 Small Monkey Doodlez AIO
1 Small WAHM AIO
2 One Size Baby Kangas pocket
3 One Size Bum Genius 3.0 pocket
18 fleece liners
24 cloth wipes
Wipes warmer (loved this for cloth wipes and solution with our DS)

I'll probably buy a fleece wrap and another 6 of the one-size pockets once we decide which brand we like best.

We also have 18 large Fuzzi Bunz and a handful of large covers and prefolds in storage.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:16 AM

I'll be using cloth but through a diaper service since I won't be able to wash my own. I am wondering though if I need to buy any inserts or something to use at night in addition to the standard diapers to prevent leaks? I recall my mom saying she sometimes used double and triple diapers!! I was thinking of maybe using the g diapers inside of my thirsties covers at night. Or using them as an insert in the cloth. I really don't have any idea about this though and whatever I buy needs to not be washed by me.

I haven't bought any diapers but I have 3 thirsties covers in newborn and a bunch of snappies and a wet bag.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 12-11-2008, 06:03 AM

This is what I have so far:

flannel wipes (32)
birdseye flats (24)
Cottonbabies Unbleached Indian Prefolds (12)
newborn GMD dyed CP (12)
Kissaluvs 0 (6)
newborn dappi covers (4)
newborn prowrap (1)
x-small Thirstie cover (1)
snappi (4)
diaper pins (3)

one size Tushie diaper (2)
one size Wonder Wrap (1)
Organic Caboose Infant Contours, organic cotton fleece (4)
small Imse Vimse Organic Cotton cover (1)
small Thirstie cover (1)

Medium Bummis Super Whisper Wrap- M (1)
Medium Starbunz duck (1)
Medium Thirstie cover (1)

I'd like to get a wipe warmer, some more wipes, a couple of Kissaluvs 0 and some more one size diapers. I got most of my diapers used so that helps but I definately want more!!! I think it's a bit ambitious but I would like to have enough diapers to take me through toilet training!

There is a baby boutique/diaper service store near me and they offer Cloth Diapering 101 classes that I am going to have my parents, DH and me attend.

ok....I need to step away from the diaper trading sites....
Old 12-11-2008, 04:34 PM

kssinca,

Are you in Southern Cal?

My DH & I were planning on attending a cloth diapering workshop at Angel Bunz on Robertson in LA last month but didn't make it. We were concerned it would be more about selling their merchandise than about cloth diapering options.

Just wondering if it's the same place.

User Tag List