Anyone have raspberry leaf tea cause braxton hicks contractions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-12-2008, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
k13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been drinking it in small amounts throughout pregnancy, but recently a friend sent me a batch she had harvested for me and I started drinking a lot more thinking it would help "tone me up" for birth.

I started getting a lot of braxton hicks that were a little more than uncomfortable, with some low back pain and crampiness. I didn't connect it to the tea at first, but then I read other posts that said it can cause contractions.

I was freaking out because my other two babies were born four weeks early and it is a goal of mine to try and keep this one in there to term! The midwife mentioned the possibility of putting me on bedrest a long time ago and she hasn't mentioned it and I have so much to do I was afraid of telling her about the braxton hicks for fear of bedrest! I did put myself to bed as much as I could for a few days and haven't been drinking the tea and they've gone away/back to normal. So I'm thinking it was the tea. I wasn't doing anything else unusual or stressful.

I guess I'll be laying off the tea unless I get close to my due date...

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-12-2008, 01:36 PM

Yep. I can't tolerate RRL, which stinks, as I'd love to be able to drink it. But I have a sensitive/irritable uterus, and am plagued by BH constantly through pregnancy. Some women have more sensitive uterine muscles. I like to assume it means my uterus is already super tone

Either way, listen to your body! If you're feeling the RRL is having adverse effects, don't drink it.

Be sure to stay very well hydrated, don't wait to pee, and rest when you need. Also you can try upping your magnesium intake (it acts as a mild muscle relaxant) to prevent BH. But yeah, I'm one of those goofy people who can't take RRL. You're not alone.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 5 Old 12-12-2008, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
k13

Oh good... super toned uterus - yes I like that

Thanks for your input! I'm taking extra magnesium already for leg cramps and heart palpitations, and trying hard to stay hydrated, I have low blood pressure/get dehydrated easily... I'm also trying to pee a lot - I'm used to having an "iron bladder" and find all this peeing very annoying

Oh the things we put up with! It's all worth it for that sweet li'l baby in the end!
#4 of 5 Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 PM

Yep, me too. I was just getting painless contractions from drinking it until about 22 weeks, but then they started hurting, so I've stopped drinking it until at least 36 weeks. I might even wait until later, but ds2 came at 37 weeks, so if I wait much later, I might have a baby already.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#5 of 5 Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 PM

I have taken it in the past w/ no problems. I'm having a super sensitive pgcy this time and I have been having ctxs the past few days. I had just upped a few days before that to 2 cups a day. I've stopped again for now to see if they'll calm down. They are calmer today, barely any, so we may try 2 cups again and see what happens, then back down to 1 if needed. Sigh.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page