New mom questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1) How many night time diapers are you ussually dealing with? I've ready a lot about doubling up on diapers and using wool soakers at night, etc...Is this so they can pee more then once without having to change it or are you changing diapers frequently in the night? Seems like that would wake baby up more then you would want. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated here.

2) Any advise on sharing with friends and family that want to buy gifts that you prefer not to get plasticy stuff? Do you just accept things and give them away or try to direct them to some kind of list? I'm thinking of people at work and my husbands family. It's easy to tell my own family and close friends but lots of people have indicated that they would like to get us something for baby. Trying to be polite but not have a bunch of junk we don't want.

3) For mama's that have given birth at a hospital. How long did you stay after the birth? I'd love to get home as soon as possible but I'm wondering what is considered normal. The lady teaching our birth class said she "likes to see moms stay for 24 hours." I really can't bear that if we are both healthy.

4) Do you ladies like to have nursing shirts or do you just wear normal clothes?

Thanks for your words of wisdom!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#2 of 10 Old 12-12-2008, 08:07 PM

3. With my first birth 48 hours was required (military hospital). It wasn't too bad. I had a private room and it was my first baby. I was pretty nervous. With my dd 24 hours was required. Another military hospital birth. I was ready to go home 2 hours later believe me! I had a freaking room mate and it was HORRIBLE! Her kid cried all night...lol.

4. I nursed my daughter for right at 15 months and just used regular shirts. I did use a nursing bra though.
#3 of 10 Old 12-12-2008, 08:24 PM

I have used different things for both kids at night...I have one that is a super soaker and one wo wasn't.

For my super soaker: I use two prefolds and a doubler with a fleece of wool soaker over top. I have gone up in PF size as she has grown For newborns, they just poop so much for the first couple weeks, you may not need to worry about doubling up.

For my regural soaker: I double stuffed a pocket diaper..that worked great for him!

Unwanted toys:

register at an online store that sells toys you would like to have...otherwise-I donate!

I have been nursing for almost five years now and I have never owned any nursing wear.

I stayed for about 24 hours after my emergency tranfer/c-section (I think they were more than a little sick of me, the norm is 48 hours for a section ) for my hospital births it was about 24 hours or so...

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#4 of 10 Old 12-12-2008, 08:58 PM

I'm only 1/2 kidding but I'd like to stay at the hospital for as long as possible! The idea of taking care of a newborn and fil at the same time, exhausts me!
#5 of 10 Old 12-12-2008, 09:27 PM

I try to do as few nighttime changes as possible. So, I double up on soakers and only change if he does #2 at night.

It's hard to control what people give to you other than word of mouth. You can donate the items you won't use.

I have always tried to leave the hospital as soon as they would let me go. With my 1st one I stayed about 36-40 hours, and that was a little much, but he was my first.
With my 2nd one, I stayed about 24 hours.
With my 3rd one, I had him on a Friday morning and stayed until late Sunday afternoon. It was a Csection, however, and a very complicated delivery.
My plan for this one is to stay as I need to stay. I have no idea how this delivery will go, or how I will feel. So, I am just going to play it by ear . . . and not rush anything.

And I have nursed all 3 of my boys and never used nursing shirts. Just regular shirts for me.
#6 of 10 Old 12-12-2008, 09:34 PM

1) We didn't do doublers until baby was several months old, because she pooped often and wasn't a heavy soaker until she was bigger. I always changed poopy diapers asap (to avoid diaper rash), and typically the nighttime changes were poopy ones (because she'd poop with each feeding and she nursed every couple hours at night).

2) I agree that you should definitely register, so that way when they say they want to get you something, you can tell them where you're registered. One thing we did was comment on how we weren't comfortable with Made in China products, because of the recalls and ongoing safety issues. But I always tried to phrase it so it was an appalling irritation for us (as it should be for everyone, etc.), and less like it was an arrogant "our child is too good for plastic crap" type thing.

And/or you can point out how you've found these great natural toy makers (get some catalogs to have on hand or bookmark some sites), or if there's a toy store where you live that sells natural type toys, etc. When in doubt, blame things on your ped or on books you've read about how certain plastics are dangerous (and outlawed in most countries but ours), etc.

I also made a point to vilify my husband when it came to batteries. I'd tell my ILs pointblank that he hates changing batteries, so no plastic toys please.

Anything we received that we weren't comfortable with, we returned to the store or gave away. We didn't tell the sender, and we always thanked them graciously, etc.

3) Gah we stayed for two nights. It suuuucked. It was because my water had been broken for nearly 22 hours when I gave birth and despite the prophylactic a/bx they gave me (that I should've refused because it led to two months of thrush from hell), they insisted we both remain and continued to do blood pricks on us both to test for infection. This time I'm conveniently forgetting what time my water breaks, if it does.

It's not that they keep the moms for 24 hours typically (at least where I live) -- it's the baby. Your midwife/OB may be fine with discharging you within 12 hours or sooner even. The ped may as well, but I'd ask ahead of time because in most cases in the US it's 24 hours. Our ped's super laid back and he likes a minimum of 24 hours for baby in the birth center (which is connected to a hospital but a separate entity).

4) No nursing shirts here. I don't even like the button up front type shirts anymore honestly. I am a shirt-lifter. It's easier and more modest. I can't imagine buying a designated nursing shirt or gown or whatever. But I like things very simple and that adds too much fumbling for me. Definitely in the middle of the night you want the simplest arrangement possible so you can side-lie nurse and keep on snoozing. YMMV. But I'm not a fan of complicated shirts.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#7 of 10 Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 PM

1) No clue on this one since this is the 1st baby that we are cloth diapering. When using disposables I only changed at night when she was poopy and we never had rash issues.

2)I would do as the PP said and register for non plastic toys. When you get stuff you don't like try to return it and if you can't then donate. I would also just graciously accept whatever you get and not let them know that you don't plan on using it.

3)I was only in the hospital with DD2 for a total of 16 hours. I only labored there for 1.5 hours before she was born so that was maybe 14 hours later that we left. Most people don't leave that early but I was pretty pushy about getting out of there. Average around here is at least 24 hours.

4)I lived in nursing tank tops. In the winter I could wear something warm over it and in the summer I could just layer non-nursing tanks on top of them. I am really large chested and needed some kind of support other than just a nursing bra so the shelf in the nursing tank was a must. That is the only type of nursing shirts that I used though.
#8 of 10 Old 12-13-2008, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! It is great to get this feedback and advise ladies! Very helpful!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#9 of 10 Old 12-15-2008, 02:09 PM

1) I think it was two wake ups for me initially but switching quickly to just one. I'd change baby right before I went to bed and not count that one. I did use disposables.

2) If people ask, you can tell them! Unfortunately, it's not polite to tell them unless they ask. Many people will ask what you need. I've found that people prefer to give clothes so plasticy was never an issue for the baby stage.

3) I had unscheduled c-sections and stayed 48 and 46 hours after each birth. I stayed that long due to the PKU. (Also, many spend 4 full days after a c-section!) My OB said the fastest she's ever signed someone out was 30 hours after a c-section. A vaginal birth would be much sooner. You don't have to stay as long as they want - you'd just have to sign something saying you know it's against medical advice. Otherwise, ask your dr and your ped the chances of you leaving quickly. If they're for it, then you can do it within medical advice. (Which is better if something goes wrong. If you leave AMA, then insurance may decide not to pay for any problems that occur as a result, though the chance of that is quite small).

4) For my first child, I had to complete undress on the top while breastfeeding for the first couple weeks! I quickly got much better, thank goodness! I tried nursing clothes but they were too much work getting all the holes and slots to line up. I don't even do nursing bras. I just pick my shirt/bra up from the bottom. However, I'm small chested and short waisted.
Thanks for your words of wisdom!
#10 of 10 Old 12-16-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlby View Post
4) For my first child, I had to complete undress on the top while breastfeeding for the first couple weeks!
HAhaha...isn't that the truth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page