#1 of 5 Old 12-13-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Waiting-Baby-N...9207558&sr=1-2
and this book:
http://www.amazon.com/My-New-Baby/dp..._bxgy_b_text_b
at my local library, and I love them so much I'm buying them. There are no words, so it can be personalized to your child as you read. They are mostly AP friendly and even show Mommy nursing while big brother strokes the baby's head. Daddy is super-involved, carries the baby in an Ergo-looking carrier, prepares dinner while Mommy nurses, changes the baby, etc. In "Waiting for Baby" the brother (sort of gender-neutral, could be called a girl if you wanted) is involved in everything except birth.

Cons: a white-haired grandma and grandpa stay with brother while Mommy and Daddy go to the hospital. Kalten is going to stay with my parents, but they are SO not white-haired, and I don't know many grandparents who are. If you're having a home birth or involving the child, this part won't apply. Also, the new baby sleeps alone in his/her own room, and we will be cosleeping.

I have photos of some of the pages if you're interested in seeing them. I really really recommend these books. My son (20 months-ish) and I sat on the couch for a long time talking about them while his "more exciting" library books about helicopters and Thomas the Train sat in the book bag. He really seems to understand a lot about what's coming. I'm concerned most with him sharing nursing, so we talk about Baby Silas having Mommy Om too. Having an illustration of Baby nursing and Big Brother watching really helped him, I think.
#2 of 5 Old 12-13-2008, 07:48 PM

Crashing your DDC to say I have both of these books too and LOVED them for my son when he was getting ready to be a big brother!

The way I handled the differences was just talked about what the story was showing, and then said, "And we'll be....." and it worked out great. I subbed midwife for doctor, rocking chair for crib, etc.

These two books are among the things I'm saving in my keepsake box, they meant that much to us to read htem together before my daughter's birth.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#3 of 5 Old 12-14-2008, 04:16 AM

Those look like neat books. Thanks for sharing them. I just re-ran across a copy of one of the most beautiful books I have ever seen. It's called All the places to love. The story is about a little boy on the day that his little sister is born. I didn't catch on until just reading it again, that he AND his little sister were born at home. It talks about the places on the sweet farm where they live that he will show his little sister as she grows up. No, it's not very practical, but it is sweet and beautiful. The images didn't work well on "look inside" feature for me, but it's worth looking for and owning a copy. It makes me want to cry even when I'm not pregnant!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#4 of 5 Old 12-14-2008, 07:57 AM

I just received What Baby Needs by the Dr. Sears family. It's AP based. It talks about skin to skin holding; BF-ing; crying babies; and baby wearing.

My my six year old son is really enjoying the book.

If I had a younger one, I'd also check out "Baby On The Way" by the Sears family.

Tracy
Due 2/10/09
#5 of 5 Old 12-15-2008, 04:22 PM

That's great. Waiting for Baby is our favorite new baby book. We got a few recently. Most of them show bf'ing, but all of them are hospital births. I remembered hearing a few years ago on MDC about a homebirth picture book and was planning to look for it. I wonder if Places to Love is that book. Anyone ever heard of another homebirth book?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page