Weekly chat thread Dec 20th-26th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2008, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most of the winter holidays are this week. Happy/Merry Hanukah, Solstice, Christmas, Festivus ( ) or if you don't celebrate anything this week, I hope it's a lovely one for you and your family! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We celebrate Christmas, and I LOVE Christmas. I'm one of those freaks that starts playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving. It is absolutely my favorite time of year. It's a whole week of celebration for me, because three days after Christmas is my birthday then it's New Year's. Which New Year's is always a fun time for us too with a big get together with our friends on New Year's Eve and another on New Year's day with friends of the family.

This year, however, is the first time I just can't wait for Christmas to be over. I'm in the spirit, definitely, and enjoying it. But I can't wait for this baby to get here! A couple of weeks after Christmas is when my first shower is and I'm just so anxious to start getting everything prepared for the LO. And I just keep thinking about next Christmas when we have this little girl crawling around and get to share it all with her. It makes me a little sad that she's not here for this Christmas. And she'll be at such a fun age for her first Christmas!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 12-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Hi all! I missed the first couple days of last week's thread and it got really long fast! Hope everyone is doing well.

I love the original Christmas, the spirit of the holidays. I despise the materialistic present-grubbing that Christmas has become. I'm trying really hard to get into the spirit, but with the rest of the world pushing gifts, goodies, gimmee gimmee gimmee on my kids, it's hard. I want to just hide for the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Bah.

(wow. what a grumpy post. sorry guys! I've not been sleeping well, and I guess that's impacting my mood more than I realize.)

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
Old 12-20-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I love the original Christmas, the spirit of the holidays. I despise the materialistic present-grubbing that Christmas has become. I'm trying really hard to get into the spirit, but with the rest of the world pushing gifts, goodies, gimmee gimmee gimmee on my kids, it's hard. I want to just hide for the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Bah.
I completely agree with you. We don't participate in any of the secular traditions that go along with Christmas. . . but it can be very difficult when you have little ones that don't really get what is going on. I have said the same thing to my dh many times . . . that I would prefer to go to sleep and just wake up when it's all over.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:52 PM

Well, I'll be in the minority, but one of my favorite things about Christmas has become seeing the look on my child's face when she opens gifts. I admit that my husband and I don't really do much for each other at all anymore at Christmas, but getting creative within a budget, and getting something Guinevere is guaranteed to love, is not just a fun challenge, it's got an automatic reward. I have no problems with gift-giving at Christmas, as long as it's accompanied by the lessons of generosity and kindness, etc.

We have lots of other traditions though, so the main focus isn't gift-grabbing, but gifts are for sure part of it (as is Santa, and this is her first year to be aware of Santa, so that's been fun too).

I've still got a lot left to do in terms of getting the basement ready -- that's the big "gift" for us all, since it's being turned into a family/play room. There's a hideyhole room under the stairs that is being turned into Guinevere's little dressup room, and I have yet to pain a mural on the wall. Hopefully this weekend.

The only gift I haven't bought yet is the one for Heifer/World Vision. Will do that this weekend or Monday. Otherwise, we're done.

---

In other news, my sacrum is HURTING. And I haven't been able to find something to fix it. The chiro, yoga, stretching, pillows, pills, heat/cold, oils, you name it, I've tried it. Someone suggested craniosacral (sp?) therapy, but I don't know anything about it. Have to do some digging. Anyone else having low back issues?

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 12-20-2008, 03:53 PM

I'm enjoying Christmas, but we tend to stay out of the stores and don't do much TV, so the boys don't catch most of the "gimme germs".

I'm taking a break from Christmas baking to do some hard core nesting! So far this morning, I have sterolized my pump since SIL returned it in yucky condition! I've gone thru my clothes yet again, and deep cleaned our bedroom. Like someone mentioned last week, I want it beautiful if I'll be spending lots of time bonding in there. That, and we've decided to put all the dressers in our room to make it easier to put clothes away. We all get dressed there, so it just makes sense.

After getting dumped on yesterday with snow, today is beautiful and sunny. Dh is helping the boys build a snow fort in the huge snow pile at the end of our drive. They're having so much fun, its amazing how happy they are in the snow just doing silly little things.

Hope you all are having a great weekend!
Old 12-20-2008, 04:07 PM

I don't think you are in the minority, Renee. I think that Monica and I are in the minority, which is why it makes it so difficult for us.
I am not really talking about gift giving, though. It's more the whole package for me, with which I have a hard time. The decorations, santa claus, trees, etc. For me, none of that has anything to do with Christmas. I realize that those things are Christmas to many people. It's the fact that those things have become Christmas that has bothered me. Christmas to me is the celebration of the birth of Christ. There is nothing better than that . . . nothing could possibly make the gift of Christ any better by stringing lights or putting up a tree. Just the mere fact that God gave us the gift of a Savior is the ultimate gift. So, it becomes difficult for me when the two things are confused. I don't have a problem with anyone hanging lights, putting up trees, or decorating in anyway. . . I have a hard time with calling those things Christmas. I would never debate anyone's choices for the traditions that they have for their families for the holidays. In fact, the struggle comes mostly because of how my family celebrates(extended family) So, we've had to figure out ways to seperate the two - secular from the sacred. It's hard with young children, but won't be hard when they are older. I have tried to combine the traditions and make it work that way, but it felt completely disingenuous to me, so we have decided to just completely drop the secular all the way around. They will still be exposed to the secular when we visit my family, but they already know that the traditions that we do when we are visiting them are holidayish . . . but have nothing to do with the birth of Christ. And some of our children are old enough now to understand that. I struggle with it the most. It's my own deep, inner struggle that my children do not experience.

And there is nothing I love more than gift giving!!! I love finding that perfect gift to give my children. We just don't do it on Dec. 25th. We do it at other times during the year . . . and we make a SUPER big deal out of birthdays! So, I hear you completely on that Renee!! There is nothing like seeing that light in their eyes when you get them something that you just know that they are going to love!

Disclaimer: I do not wish to make light of anyone's traditions for the holidays . . . I know how wonderful this time of year is for so many people. The things that I stated above are just my opinion and I do not wish to push my opinions on anyone else for any reason. Please accept my comments as a vent of my own frustrations. . . and not as trying to convince anyone to do things my way!
Old 12-20-2008, 05:22 PM

I have to admit, I love everything about Christmas. At least everything about my Christmas. I'm not a big shopper and avoid Black Friday like the Black Plague. But I love giving gifts to the people I care about. I love working with kids during the holidays and seeing the excitement grow in them as each day brings them closer to Christmas. For me, Christmas is a time when it seems like the whole world comes together to share in a peaceful, happy time. I know this is a little naive, and many people do not have the same blessings that I do and many do not have a peaceful, happy time during the holiday season. But it's the warm, fuzzy feeling inside when I drive through town and see the houses decorated. I love the traditional Christmas carols that we sing in church. My absolute favorite is attending Christmas Eve Mass at my church. There is never a time when the church is more packed with people than Christmas Eve Mass and it makes me feel warm inside to have all of us come together to share that time. I love the traditions I had growing up with my Mom, including the soft music playing and spending Christmas Eve on the couch watching a black and white Christmas movie with her, sharing hot chocolate until I could no longer keep my eyes open. These are the things I can't wait to share with my daughter, and I hope I can make it as special for her as it has always been for me.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 12-20-2008, 05:29 PM

Hi, everyone. I had an OB appt. yesterday. BP was fine, haven't gained any weight since last appt., but they are happy with my overall weight gain. Baby flipped to head down!!! Good girl. Now I just have to keep her that way.
I have been taking a probiotic supplement "Jarrodophilus", for several months. BUT, possible TMI here, I have been having on and off whitish discharge in my panties. Creamy, I would say. No itching to accompany it, but I just can't decide if it is yeast or not... If it is, I guess I need to get in gear and work on that. Is that kind of fluid discharge yeast? Or just normal? It is annoying...and I don't want to deal with thrush and yeast in the newborn period if I don't have to. I never had it with my first LO. And I have never had a full blown yeast infection, although I have suspected them and treated with plain yogurt and probiotics. But never any strong symptoms that made me want to seek treatment, KWIM?
I am looking forward to Christmas, and afterward, starting to reorganize our house for new baby girl. Maybe stow some more furniture up in the attic, and find a place to set up the bassinet in our bedroom, and her clothes and diapers.
Emily
Old 12-20-2008, 08:13 PM

Larissa, it's fine. We all do what we all need to do. And I think my love of the festive side of the holidays is in no small part due to my own upbringing.

But the point for me (and for most people, I'd like to think), is as Mal85 pointed out, that the holidays are "...a time when it seems like the whole world comes together to share in a peaceful, happy time."

Yep, that's how I view it. However it's expressed, whether the sentiment is dressed in tinsel or not, it's a good time to be generous and kind and loving.

Plus, I'm finding myself a little wistful in moments -- like making a point to Be Sure And Remember This! when it comes to Guinevere and this time, since this is the last bit of time of her being an only child. These are moments I'll cherish, and that's part of the whole Christmas experience for me this year. But it could also be that I'm just a bit sappy, because I know next Christmas I'll be just as into it, since it'll be new baby's first Christmas....

Old 12-20-2008, 08:26 PM

Our Christmas traditions have been changing as we grow into our beliefs as adults. We aren't Christians although I *love* the Christmas season because of the memories of it all. We have decided to simplify our gift giving, still have a tree but we are just calling it an "evergreen" as a sign of hope for Spring (maybe this will become a Solstice Tree eventually), and although we never celebrated St. Nick I think we may with our child because the story is just so great.

This is our first child, so we have a little bit of time to nail down how we are going to handle the season to explain it to her.

I can't believe I'm almost 33 weeks! :

And.. somedays my sacrum really kills me too. I don't know what makes it better/worse but it varies day to day. Have you tried using an ab/birthing ball to sit on?

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 12-20-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post

And.. somedays my sacrum really kills me too. I don't know what makes it better/worse but it varies day to day. Have you tried using an ab/birthing ball to sit on?
I'm going to try that tonight actually. I'm hopefully going to get some work done on the mural downstairs, and mr. nighten went ahead and put my birth ball down there so I could sit on it while I painted. We'll see.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:49 PM

My husband's aunt just came over and showed me some samples she's been working on for the mural in the baby's room. It's going to be so beautiful! She is so talented at what she does. She was worried about the details, but it looks wonderful! She's painting a weeping willow in one corner of the room and along the bottom border she is painting flowers and grass growing up the wall with little flower fairies playing in the plants. I want to come up with a phrase to paint on the wall over her crib, but nothing has come to me so far that matches the theme of the room... Any suggestions?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
32 weeks today!!! :

My friend and I did a big toy drive up to the remote reserves, and baby sure liked the 4x4 (or hated it...)! Lots of kicking and poking as we drove along the logging roads. We stopped at a hot springs on the way back, but because the pools are too hot for baby, I dunked my legs while wearing as many layers on top as possible (it's -20 celsius here). The hot springs are so beautiful in all of the snow!

Now I shall eat homemade cream of broccoli soup that DP made for my lunch (she's at work). She also made me muffins for breakfast for the week. She rocks. I sure think she's the bomb!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 12-20-2008, 11:33 PM

Hi everyone! I am 32 weeks now, too! My tummy is starting to get itchy!

I am feeling much better in general than I have all pregnancy, but still pretty low energy. And easily out of breath. But I think just knowing I'm in the home stretch makes my outlook brighter.

We are excited for Christmas. Last year we did the simple Christmas, pretty much no-presents thing. This year we kind of splurged more-- well, for us! Which means, we didn't get much for DH and I, but we had fun shopping for the boys. They are easy to please on a small budget. (The things on their wishlist were so easy like flashlights, paints, and jumpropes!) So we're excited. This is the first Christmas that BOTH of them will be kind of aware of what is going on! :

Oh, and DH just finished his final paper for this class he's been taking so he's done with school for a couple weeks! YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! That's like getting a whole extra day with him a week for the next two weeks!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 12-20-2008, 11:49 PM

We are into the Christmas spirit around here. The tree went up last weekend along with lights on the house. I love it. we are hosting our friends on Christmas day but doing a potluck so that we don't have to cook everything. I"m looking forward to it. Also happy to have a 4 day weekend coming up.

I am so tired today. I didn't sleep well last night because of hip pain and baby pokes so I took a long nap this afternoon. I'm still feeling groggy from my nap but its a rainy dark saturday here so I don't really need to do anything but lounge in my sweats and sleep. Yeah for that. I'm going to try to talk DH into picking up a pizza for dinner I think. That should top off my day of doing nothing!

I'll be 34 weeks on Monday. Just 4 weeks of work left. I have hired my Doula and am super excited about that. We will meet up again after the holidays. She wants to go over some breathing techniques with me. Along with that and being at the birth she will come to our house 2-3 times post partum to check on me. I think that will be great. All this for $200. I feel really lucky!

Solstice is tomorrow! We are looking forward to more light here. We are getting about 6 hours of daylight now.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 12-21-2008, 12:14 AM

It's freezing here! -24C this evening, that's -11F! I looked it up.:That's a late evening temp, before it's dropped for the night, with no windchill!

Honestly, I'm not going to start going on about how I feel about Christmas- I don't have the energy nor the desire. It's a spritual event for us, but also a secular festivity, this year I'm trying to keep it simple and not overwhelming- I'm not knee-deep in tradition yet- I haven't even pulled out the decorations. I just feel like it's about more than that, you know? And yet I haven't even put the effort into that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolthuis View Post
BUT, possible TMI here, I have been having on and off whitish discharge in my panties. Creamy, I would say. No itching to accompany it, but I just can't decide if it is yeast or not... If it is, I guess I need to get in gear and work on that. Is that kind of fluid discharge yeast? Or just normal?
Sounds normal to me, and an increase is nothing to be worried about, pretty typical during pregnancy. If it's not smelly, itchy, lumpy, or a funny colour, you probably needn't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post

In other news, my sacrum is HURTING. And I haven't been able to find something to fix it. The chiro, yoga, stretching, pillows, pills, heat/cold, oils, you name it, I've tried it. Someone suggested craniosacral (sp?) therapy, but I don't know anything about it. Have to do some digging. Anyone else having low back issues?
I get this too- although I wouldn't say my sacrum, but moreso the muscles around and supporting it. During each pregnancy these have given me grief, and when they're sore I waddle around like a big penguin. It's ridiculous. Any bending, lifting, stooping or leaning does it for me- ie, sweeping, tidying, etc. I don't expect to get any full relief, but some days are better than others, depending on my activities. Are you small-waisted? My sister who doesn't suffer from this seems to think it's because I normally have a tiny waist- and so somehow I don't have the support to balance the low load on the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
32 weeks today!!! :

My friend and I did a big toy drive up to the remote reserves, and baby sure liked the 4x4 (or hated it...)! Lots of kicking and poking as we drove along the logging roads. We stopped at a hot springs on the way back, but because the pools are too hot for baby, I dunked my legs while wearing as many layers on top as possible (it's -20 celsius here). The hot springs are so beautiful in all of the snow!
Where do we have hot springs in Ontario? Boy, I wish I could be swimming in one right now.

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
Old 12-21-2008, 12:53 AM

DH and I put up our tree and decorated it tonight. Yay!

I had a hair appt today in the major shopping area of the city. I looked in a couple stores after and the crowds were horrendous! Then I went to babies r us to add anything i could think of to my registry so I can get 20% off of it when I go in a week or 2 to close it out. Lastly, I went to Target - also a zoo! I was so done by the time I paid and then their machine wouldn't print my receipt so I had to stand there for 15 minutes and wait. I almost burst into tears. I'm having that pubic symphosis pain so I know I was just on my feet way too much today.

My lower back hurts a lot lately too. I've been slacking on my yoga but I sort of doubt it's going to help. Hopefully I'll make it to a class tomorrow or do my dvd at home.

DH made some progress on the baby room while I was out. He still has work to do but I am feeling a bit relieved.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 12-21-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolthuis View Post
Hi, everyone. I had an OB appt. yesterday. BP was fine, haven't gained any weight since last appt., but they are happy with my overall weight gain. Baby flipped to head down!!! Good girl. Now I just have to keep her that way.
I have been taking a probiotic supplement "Jarrodophilus", for several months. BUT, possible TMI here, I have been having on and off whitish discharge in my panties. Creamy, I would say. No itching to accompany it, but I just can't decide if it is yeast or not... If it is, I guess I need to get in gear and work on that. Is that kind of fluid discharge yeast? Or just normal? It is annoying...and I don't want to deal with thrush and yeast in the newborn period if I don't have to. I never had it with my first LO. And I have never had a full blown yeast infection, although I have suspected them and treated with plain yogurt and probiotics. But never any strong symptoms that made me want to seek treatment, KWIM?
I am looking forward to Christmas, and afterward, starting to reorganize our house for new baby girl. Maybe stow some more furniture up in the attic, and find a place to set up the bassinet in our bedroom, and her clothes and diapers.
Emily
It's normal to have more discharge during the last trimester. As long as it's not chunky, it's probably not a yeast infection. Mine always turns from creamy to mucousy nearer to the birth. Lately, I have to change my panties twice a day.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 12-21-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post
I get this too- although I wouldn't say my sacrum, but moreso the muscles around and supporting it. During each pregnancy these have given me grief, and when they're sore I waddle around like a big penguin. It's ridiculous. Any bending, lifting, stooping or leaning does it for me- ie, sweeping, tidying, etc. I don't expect to get any full relief, but some days are better than others, depending on my activities. Are you small-waisted? My sister who doesn't suffer from this seems to think it's because I normally have a tiny waist- and so somehow I don't have the support to balance the low load on the front.
I have never really thought about whether I was small waisted or not, to be honest. I'm normally petite, and I'm very short-waisted, which means baby sticks waaaaaaay out front. But this time I'm carrying drastically lower, and I think that's it. As for the sacrum thing it's not just the muscles and bits around it -- it's a pain deep in the bone (at least that's what it feels like). It's also where the bulk of my contractions were last time. I asked my chiro if I might've screwed something up back there from last time, or if it might be psychosomatic and he assured me that it was probably just a really bad pain unique to this pregnancy. Hehe. He's all about keeping it real. I tend to think he's right.

Still sucks though. Not a fan of pain.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 33 weeks on Tuesday and my SPD has gotten so bad I now only spend about 5 hours in my bed before I can't tolerate it anymore and I get up for the day. I often catch an unexpected nap in the recliner at some point mid-day just to get enough sleep. It wasn't this bad with my DD but I was seeing a chiro. I can't wait to have my body back to normal, this hurts!
Old 12-21-2008, 06:36 AM

We just had a lovely day celebrating Christmas with my family (who will be out of town for the real day). It was so nice to not have to be running to or from the inlaws that I hope we somehow do this Christmas-on-a-Saturday again next year! It really truly felt like Christmas today. We came home with way too much stuff, but my big gift was a Graco SafeSeat (yay!) and my mother had fun stuffing my husband's stocking with lots of little baby supplies. We are well set with Burt's Bees and socks!

I am concerned about some swelling that I've been experiencing in my feet. Elevating my feet does not seem to help much. Laying down does help reverse the problem. It's slightly painful to walk on bloated feet, and my shoes don't fit well when my feet are swollen. I'm trying not to stress and think "pre-eclampsia" (especially as stress will cause my blood pressure numbers to go off!), but I'm looking for ways to reverse this problem or prevent things from getting any worse. Any suggestions anyone?

I'm definitely exchanging Christmas preparations with nesting! It's so much more fulfilling and reasuring to have clean closets than a tin full of cookies! I'm so glad to be on Christmas break over these next two weeks and hope I can really get some good stuff done around here!

I hope everyone's enjoying the season. If nothing else, we have plenty to celebrate in the fact that we will no longer be losing sunlight everyday, but gaining! We've turned the corner, no mater how cold, our winter will be a little brighter each day!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

Old 12-21-2008, 10:41 AM

DID - I hope you get some much needed relief soon! I am sorry you are in so much pain!
I am having difficulty with my hands and carpal tunnel when I sleep at night, but I have done this with every single pregnancy . . . and am tolerating it. I also have a great deal of trouble at night time, but only 6 1/2 weeks left (or so).

JosieAK - You are doing the right thing. Elevate those feet, lay on your left side. . . and drink loads of water. Swelling is common in pregnancy even when everything is normal. I swelled a ton with my oldest son, and there wasn't a thing wrong with me. I just swelled alot. I had to buy bigger shoes, because I was working outside the home then, and I couldn't squeeze my foot into my normal sized shoes.
Right now, I am swelling, but just on a very small scale. My rings can be tight at times, and that's about it. Definitely don't stress about it. Swelling isn't always a sign of pre-eclampsia. But do be cautious!

I am a little bummed. My younger son had a cold and cough for what seemed like forever . . . and it finally went away. He went a tad over a week without a runny nose, and now it's back with a vengeance . . . bad cough and all. So, now my middle son is coughing too. It's just a bad time of year, and I am just hoping that this will all be out of their system's by the time baby gets here . . . so maybe that's a plus. But it's frustrating nonetheless. I am going to have to stay home from church this morning . . . and that's something I look forward to every week.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:14 PM

Hello all,

Everything is going well with me! We got a ton of snow Friday and are getting a ton more today which is making everything so beautiful. I love the snow!

I too am having a lot of cm, it's annoying and I could do without it. I'm pretty sure it's just normal pregnancy cm and not a yeast infection.

I'm not having too much pain luckily. I have had some pain in my ribs. It's not really that bad and I usually only notice at night and when I first wake up. Sometimes my lower back get's sore if I'm on a long walk. And yesterday I went cross country skiing (which was so much fun!) and I was kind of sore.

Someone asked before about having a clean birthing room. This is important to me. I'm a very organized person and it would drive me nuts to have mess and clutter in my birthing space. And I want my birthing photos to look nice without a pile of dirty laundry in the background .

I am worrying a lot about my role in making sure the baby is okay. One of the "call your midwife immediately" warnings is if there is a decrease in movement. What does this mean??? My midwife said there should be an average of 6 movements every 2 hours. She also said not to drive myself crazy about it (but I think I am). I just feel kind of freaked out that it's up to me to know if there is a decrease in movement. I have no idea and I don't know if I have intuition. Am I alone on this?

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 12-21-2008, 01:37 PM

I don't think you are alone with it being your first baby. I thought about all those things with the first one, and worried much the same way. I did kick counts too. I worried with my second one because I had a miscarriage in between my first and second child. But as I got further along with him, I didn't worry quite so much. With my third, I never really gave it a second thought. With my 4th, I have yet to do a kick count.

But it's different with the first one, because you don't know what to expect, and everything you feel is new and different for you. However, that said . . . you are probably thinking about it a little too much. I imagine that if there is a decrease in movement . . one that is cause for concern . . . you would know it intuitively. So, I wouldn't drive myself crazy over it . . . if I were you. I know it's easier said than done. It's so hard not to worry about every little thing. . . just wait til baby is in your arms . . . you have a whole new set of worries!

Hang in there!
Old 12-21-2008, 02:29 PM

Gillian, if you're worried and not feeling movement, then drink some cold OJ and lie down for a while. Baby typically snoozes when you're awake because of the lulling movements in your womb. If you're still, and then the chilly OJ sensation hits, that does the trick for me.

DiD, I'm so sorry you're hurting.

---

Well, I started painting the mural last night (it is so much fun!) but unfortunately didn't get on my birth ball at all -- the room is tiny and I was doing too much work too low to bend over. So I sat on cushion and this morning could barely walk, my sacrum hurt so badly. Soooo, tonight I definitely need to find some other solution, since I have to get the mural finished very soon (before Christmas).

Old 12-21-2008, 03:57 PM

Hugs to everyone who is in pain and/or sleep-deprived. That's really rough.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 12-21-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post
I am concerned about some swelling that I've been experiencing in my feet. Elevating my feet does not seem to help much. Laying down does help reverse the problem. It's slightly painful to walk on bloated feet, and my shoes don't fit well when my feet are swollen. I'm trying not to stress and think "pre-eclampsia" (especially as stress will cause my blood pressure numbers to go off!), but I'm looking for ways to reverse this problem or prevent things from getting any worse. Any suggestions anyone?
My midwife suggests putting epson salts into your bath ... it actually seems to help my cankle situation. And if it's any consolation, my BP has been steady at 100/60 or in that region, throughout. Oh, and lots of water. Drink lots and lots of water. And mind your salt intake.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 12-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
I am worrying a lot about my role in making sure the baby is okay. One of the "call your midwife immediately" warnings is if there is a decrease in movement. What does this mean??? My midwife said there should be an average of 6 movements every 2 hours. She also said not to drive myself crazy about it (but I think I am). I just feel kind of freaked out that it's up to me to know if there is a decrease in movement. I have no idea and I don't know if I have intuition. Am I alone on this?
I count all the time! About five or six times a day ... because I'm worried about not catching something if it were to happen. I can also hear the baby's heart beat through the small diaphragm of my stethoscope now. Do you know anyone with a stethoscope you could borrow? It needs to have two sides, one smaller than the other. The small side picks up baby's heart.

I don't know why I'm being so diligent ... it's not like me. I'm usually a let-go-and-let-God kind of person. I guess it's First Time Mama Worries.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
My midwife suggests putting epson salts into your bath ... it actually seems to help my cankle situation. And if it's any consolation, my BP has been steady at 100/60 or in that region, throughout. Oh, and lots of water. Drink lots and lots of water. And mind your salt intake.

That's me too--very very swollen, and my blood pressure is exactly what yours is! But, I'm also running around all day long chasing kids!

I was driving myself insane with the kick counts, and then I realized that while I'm not actually feeling the baby 6-8 times an hour at all (my OB says if we don't feel her 8 times in 1 hour, to call), they'll hook me up to the nonstress test machine, and she'll move 100 times in that hour, and I'll still only feel her 3 or 4. It's that anterior placenta, and she's breech though. I do have a doppler at home though, so sometimes I'll stick the doppler on just to see if I can hear her kicking in there, since clearly feeling her kicking isn't really happening.

And I don't think you're weird for checking her movements--it's a GREAT thing to do. Everything I've ever read says the first sign of a problem can be found in the movement--long before there is a problem with the heartbeat. So, while you may feel paranoid, you're just protecting your little one. And I'm thinking that it helps you figure out when baby's alert and sleepy times might be when he/she comes out!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 

User Tag List