Worried about the snow here.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-23-2008, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I chose an OB and a hospital for my VBAC birth based on their track record and support of a more natural birth experience. It's a bit hard to find a care provider in my area that doesn't insist on a lot of non-evidence-based interventions when you are a VBAC! My point is I am not going to the nearest hospital due to a lack of support for VBAC, and my strong aversion to a c-section.

My hospital is 1:20 away in good clear weather with reasonable traffic.

I am laughing (maybe a bit hysterically) because we have just gotten the worst snow storm in my memory. At least the last 15 years. What am I supposed to do if I am snowed in in my small town without any practicing OBs or midwives (not that any would take me on anyway, VBAC again) when I go into labor? I really don't want to have this baby in the van.

I would have loved a homebirth if that were an option for me, but I am not ready for a UC. Anyone else in a similar situation. Any tips??

It is kinda ironic to me since I put in all this research for the best options for myself, and I am looking at being bested by mother nature!
#2 of 7 Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 AM

You should probably have a back up plan just in case. But in reality chances are everything will be fine Most of the time with big snowstorms you'll have a few days notice anyway, so you could prepare for it (if you feel there's a chance you'll go into labour maybe go stay in a hotel near the hospital for the night?). I watched an episode of House of Babies the other day and in preparation for a hurricane they offered any women who could go into labour anytime the option of staying at the birth centre.

I'm sure everything will work out fine for you!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#3 of 7 Old 12-23-2008, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I hear ya, hon!

We're an easy 3 hour drive away from our midwife, and in the snow storm last week, it took 4.5 hours!!!

Our backup is the nearest hospital, which is still an easy 1.5 hours away, and closer to 2 in the snow.

Our in-case-of-emergency-road-closed-blizzard plan is to birth at the local clinic whilst all the while praying to the universe that everything goes well.

Our armageddon plan is to birth by ourselves. I've delivered a small gaggle of babies as a paramedic, so this doesn't phase me too much.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#4 of 7 Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 PM
k13

I'm in WA too and this snow made me glad my midwife lives within walking distance of my house! But I keep thinking this has to be it - the "big" storm of the year... hopefully wont get a replay in February and it will be back to cold rain and the occasional couple inches of snow that melt the next day... : The back up plan ideas sound good...
#5 of 7 Old 12-24-2008, 05:39 PM

I grew up in Seattle and still have family there. Just keep reminding yourself that the likelihood of a second bad snowstorm is super low. As K13 said, you'll be back to the drizzly rain before you know it! Keep thinking positevly about your birthing day. I'm sure everything will work out beautifully for your VBAC, including the drive to the hospital.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#6 of 7 Old 12-24-2008, 06:47 PM

The chances of a fast labor are probably slim. My first VBAC was a good 12 hrs from start to birth. I had 3 hrs left by the time I got to the hospital. If the weather is bad, head to the hospital as soon as you know you're in real labor or even think you're in labor. This will give you time to 1) get there safely and 2) not have to labor through the hardest part in the car. I wasn't in the car long w/ Evan b/c we're fairly close, but we did have to drop AJ off, and it was still miserable (and cold)! I remember DH yelling at me mid-ctx to hurry up and get inside the hospital, ummm yeah, and then he took a nap in the room. Men! I'm sure you'll be fine and good luck w/ your VBAC!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#7 of 7 Old 12-25-2008, 07:25 PM

Just in case, I would put out all your "feelers" to make sure there aren't any homebirth midwives in your neck of the woods that may have been missed. I know the one in our town doesn't exactly advertise in the phonebook, if you know what I mean, and some women have only found out about her and her services VERY late in pregnancy. Ask around, to whomever you wish, and just double check that there isn't someone nearer who could perhaps offer you some support?? Just a thought, and of course, WA state may be different as far as how public HB midwives advertise themselves.
You also may want to stock your vehicle with lots of cozy blankets, supplies, etc., so you are comfortable for a long drive, and feel secure if you end up doing more than just laboring in your vehicle...
Peace.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page