Weekly chat for the New Year! December 27th - January 2nd, 2009! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2008, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
Also started using my vaginal/perineal balm nightly. It definitely helped last time.

I haven't, however, been diligent with my Kegels lately. Totally need to get back in the habit.
Where are you getting your balm? I've never heard of this and I tore both times so starting with the balm sounds good to me!

I am also a kegel-slacker. I think I will post a note above my computer screeen to remind me-- computer time is a great time to KEGEL!!! :

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 PM

I have to say, I don't get too many negative comments about having a baby. And I see a lot of parents since I work in childcare. I get more of an attitude from people that I just really don't know what I'm getting myself into. This being my first child, of course I don't really know what I'm getting myself into! But that's exciting to me. Before we got pregnant (and now that I am) that is what I look forward to! My husband and I have been married for almost 4 years, and it's been really fun being just the two of us doing whatever we want whenever we want. But I have felt for the last year or so that I'm ready for a life-changing event. I just couldn't imagine living the way we do any longer. Something (someone) is missing. I'm ready for something in my life that I can really sink my teeth into, so to speak. I want a challenge. So far, my challenge has been school, but now I'm almost done with school and I'm beyond excited about what's next. I finally get to do what I was put here to do.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 12-31-2008, 01:50 PM

I don't get too many negative comments either, at least not regarding this baby. A couple "wow, you're going to have your hands full" (but um, have you met my kids? It's true! LOL!), but nothing rude. I do get a bunch of "how do you think your daughter will handle it?"...likely because she's adopted, and there are people close to us that know she has attachment and anxiety issues.

I know the people at my church have been waiting for a pregnancy announcement since we lost Ryland--they spent the past 3 years speculating about whether I was pregnant again. So I messed with them and hid this pregnancy until I was 20 weeks along--lots of sweaters, coats, etc. So they were quite surprised when one day I was huge. LOL!

I got more negative comments with my first--I was 23 and looked younger than that so people assumed I was another teen pregnancy. I would have thought this time I'd get more rude comments because I have 2 children already (of different races obviously) and I haven't been wearing my wedding ring the entire pregnancy because it's not comfortable with my puffy hands. I do get a lot of double takes, but that's about all. :

ETA: Oh, I do remember one thing...I got quite a bit of "I know tons of people who were infertile and got pregnant right after adopting". I always just respond "what makes you think I had fertility issues?"--it's true--we didn't adopt because of infertility. *Getting* pregnant was not a problem for us. Bringing the baby home at the end was.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 12-31-2008, 03:17 PM

tomsTXmom and AllyRae, your posts made me well up. How precious.

LTB, I'm using Indian Meadows which is what I used last time, but I also got a tester of Earth Mama Angel Baby oil. The balm is easier to apply though, but the EMAB oil smells yummy, so I've been mixing it with lotion and putting on my belly.

----

I have been having the worst heartburn lately. My homeopathics and natural stuff aren't cutting it, but neither is the Zantac. It seems to be happening no matter what I eat. What, if anything, can I take?

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 12-31-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I have been having the worst heartburn lately. My homeopathics and natural stuff aren't cutting it, but neither is the Zantac. It seems to be happening no matter what I eat. What, if anything, can I take?
Me too. My midwife is okay with me taking Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole is the generic) because nothing else works. I take one when I get up and another about an hour before dinner. The thing is, for me at least, you sort of have to keep on top of it, and not skip a day just because you feel alright. Otherwise it comes back worse than ever. Then natural stuff for any "breakthrough" burn. Sometimes I even have to add a Zantac in late at night. I hate taking all that stuff but I don't want to let it get any worse.

So right now I'm taking:
OptiNate Prenatal vitamin
magnesium supplement (about every other day)
prilosec 2x daily (for the unbearable heartburn)
GSE capsules 3x daily (to hopefully kill any GBS before my test)
probiotic suplement daily

Oh--do you think the GSE capsules and the probiotic will cancel each other out? Hmm...

Old 12-31-2008, 03:43 PM

If you take them at the same time, there might be some issues with one being less effective. I don't know to be honest. But it's a good point.

Try putting two hours between the probiotics and the GSE -- the probiotics should be creating a healthy enough environment so GBS wouldn't thrive, I think, if they're strong enough? At least that's what I'm counting on. Well, that plus the cranberry -- which can help prevent UTIs too. I figure since GBS can set up in the urinary tract, and cranberry prevents bacteria from adhering to the tract walls, plus it's got vitamin C in it -- that hopefully the cranberry + probiotics are enough.

The GSE would work too, I'd imagine, but I would space it out from the probiotics just in case.

I'm taking:

A.M.:
prenatal
iron
cranberry

P.M.:
magnesium
calcium
DHA, etc.
probiotics

Zantac and homeopathics as needed. Flexeril on occasion for headaches and back issues.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I had really bad heartburn a couple of days last week (same thing, no matter what I ate, and even on an empty stomach)... I took papaya enzyme tablets and they really helped.

Re: cat pee: I also recommend Nature's Miracle. My cat gets in these grumpy moods where he pees on our bed or something (never into the mattress) but that works really well on carpets/bedding etc. If the pee went on your sheets, if you soak them in vinegar before washing them, it gets the smell out as well.

Re the age conversation... I was in my early 20's for my first 2, now I am 36 and I have MORE energy this pregnancy than I did for my others. I'm not sure how that works exactly.

I'm happy because we inventoried the old baby clothes that I had managed to find in the basement and we have a decent amount of newborn stuff after all. We haven't really bought anything because we are really broke right now, so we have to start getting the car seat and all that.

And I am really emotional right now because my son is going to be away for 4 days and I didn't have a chance to say goodbye because he was sleeping when I left for work and my husband dropped him off... they were going to pick me up at work before they went but we are having a snow storm so he wanted to get the driving over with.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My follow up ultrasound showed little change in the placenta. It's still too close for a safe vaginal birth so I will definitely be having a scheduled cesarean.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:31 PM

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with negative people around. I'm going to make sure that whenever someone I know is pregnant I tell them nothing but how awesome it is Thank you to those who shared how wonderful it's going to be!

I keep meaning to go and get probiotics so I can start taking them. I looked at the grocery store pharmacy the other day but all they had were multivitamin/probiotic combinations. Oh, I did find juice that had probiotics in it, so I'm drinking that.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 12-31-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
My follow up ultrasound showed little change in the placenta. It's still too close for a safe vaginal birth so I will definitely be having a scheduled cesarean.
We cross posted.

I'm sorry to hear that . How are you feeling about that decision? Do you know when?

Old 12-31-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I'm so sorry. Are your OBs willing to do one of those new "natural" cesareans? You know, where they try to make it gentler, more bonding, less traumatic for baby than the usual way of doing a c-section? I've heard about it on MDC before.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 12-31-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Aw, dang! That stinks. I'm sorry.

But on the plus side, you get to know exactly when your baby will be born, which is pretty cool.

Either way, I hope everything works out okay for you. (And thank you, btw, for keeping track of these new weekly threads.)

Old 12-31-2008, 06:15 PM

DID: Sorry about the c-section but at least you will have a date for sure now. And better safe than sorry! Do you know when?

I took a bath the other night and out of curiosity massaged my breasts to see if anything would come out and I got a yellowish drop out of my right one! Not much at all but I guess there is indeed something going on in them. What a trip.

The bed if finally out of the nursery. DH should be home any minute now and we are going to set up the crib. I can't wait!!

Happy 2009 everyone!!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 12-31-2008, 06:29 PM

I had an appointment yesterday and all is well. Baby is head down, strong heartbeat, active. I have no swelling or anything else, blood pressure is fine. I'm a hormonal emotional wreck which is normal for me at this point. I fell down my stairs today so my left hip and leg are sore. I have an appointment to see my chiropractor on monday morning.

:
Old 12-31-2008, 08:21 PM

I do get some comments--mostly the "enjoy sleep while you can get it" comments or "everything's about to change." But people are pretty nice to me. It's my poor husband who gets all the awkward guys telling him lame stuff about changing diapers and wives screaming in labor, etc. When really, my husband is a champ. He went from, "What? No hospital?" to being a conscientious partner with me in weighing out the risks of each new test or intervention we face (currently it's GBS screening--Ugh.). I really credit Bradley classes with giving him a good grounding in subjects ranging from pregnancy nutrition to breastfeeding, but his good attitude and willingness to share the responsibility of our unconventional decisions has been a huge blessing. I just know he's going to be a great daddy. He deserves more than dumb comments.

I had a midwife appointment yesterday. I had the luxury of a home visit when my poor car refused to start in the -15 degree temps. I am 34.5 weeks and measuring at 35. Perfect. My b/p was good and everything seems fine! Baby has been head down since 28 weeks and my midwife commented that my tummy is very palpable and makes it easy to feel the baby. She suggested that maybe my baby being so far foward is contributing some to my hip pain and that I should maybe try to use a support belt. Then she gave me the information to read about GBS and the list of needed items for the homebirth kit! Whoa! I'm just amazed that in 2.5 weeks I could have my baby healthily and normally at home! I really don't think this baby's planning on coming early, though.

My midwife is leaving Sunday to be tested for cancer in Seattle during the following week. My prayers are going with her!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

Old 12-31-2008, 09:37 PM

Happy New Year's everyone! Mine is going to be really crappy- my dh and I got in a big fight just when we were about to leave for dinner- he was gone all day and was losing his temper with the kids even though I warned him it might be a bad idea to go out- no reservation on New Years, and cranky, tired kids. I said I wasn't going if he was going to lose his patience, and he tried to make me by yelling at me and I absolutely refused. So he left without me! That's fine, because I will not be treated like that.:

Anyway....

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that! How are you doing with the news?

AllyRae, great post- it seems you have a great attitude. I really hope the rest of this pregnancy goes really great for you!

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
Old 12-31-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I am so sorry that it didn't move up for you and that you are going to have to have the c-section.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I'm going to be having an scheduled cesarean too. Actually a repeat (last time it was an emergency). sure its not the natural homebirth i originally thought I would have but I also think IMO that its not the end of the world as long both mother and baby are ok. personally after going through labor last time and ending up with a c-section at the last minute i'm focusing on the bright side.
do you have a date yet? i hope to find out on the 6th!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Sorry it didn't move up for you. It will be exciting to know exactly when your lo's birthday is though. I hope you are feeling OK about this.

I'm making homeade pizza for dinner and we are watching movies in honor of New Year's. Our friends all headed to a cabin out the road to play hockey on the lake and ring in the new year with drinking and partying. We obviously aren't going to make it. Part of me wishes that we were going to be part of the celebration but a bigger part of me is glad to just be home.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 01-01-2009, 01:28 AM

Just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a Happy New Years Celebration tonight!

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
Me too. My midwife is okay with me taking Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole is the generic) because nothing else works. I take one when I get up and another about an hour before dinner. The thing is, for me at least, you sort of have to keep on top of it, and not skip a day just because you feel alright. Otherwise it comes back worse than ever. Then natural stuff for any "breakthrough" burn. Sometimes I even have to add a Zantac in late at night. I hate taking all that stuff but I don't want to let it get any worse.
Well, I sent mr. nighten to CVS and he got me some Prilosec, but it's listed as class C and (more importantly in my case) it interacts with something I have to take on occasion. So that's out. :/

I just hate taking the Zantac so often -- it's like 2-3 times a day now. And the Nux Vomica and papaya enzymes aren't touching it at all. The weird thing is, I'm carrying so low that I don't understand why I've got such bad heartburn. It doesn't seem tied to anything in particular I'm eating either.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:38 PM

Happy New Year!!! : It's the year our babies will be born!!! :

My new years involved pizza, watching a special on tv until 9pm, and then getting ready for bed. I did wake up for my second pee of the night just before midnight, so that was how I brought in the new year .

And, I'm 34 weeks today! I can't believe it. Yesterday I was feeling huge and having some back pain. I think I just need to put more effort into my posture.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:17 PM

Happy New Year everyone!!

I'm 34 weeks today too, wow! We keep saying how did that happen, not that we are complaining.

We had a mellow evening, my husband cooked a nice dinner and we watched a DVD and I napped during the special features so we were able to stay up just to see it turn midnight.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 PM

Happy 2009! We cooked dinner at with a couple we are friends with. They have a 3 month old. We came home around 10:30 bc the couple was too pooped to stay up (she just went back to work and baby is still up 3x/night). Was fun to be around them and baby though. Then DH and I toasted with alcohol free champagne. Our night was pretty slow but I was happy to be home. I couldn't sleep all night. My mind wouldn't turn off. Not sure if it's bc the new year in my mind starts the baby count down - or maybe bc we built the crib yesterday and I kept catching DH in the nursery staring at it in disbelief that he actually owns a crib. LOL.

I am 34 weeks today too! Yay! I can't believe this is my last month of going into the office for a while!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 01-01-2009, 02:23 PM

Happy New Year, everyone! We had a good New Year's Eve. We stopped by the party my parents always hold for their friends and visited for a little while. Then, we headed over to our friends house to ring in the new year. We came home shortly after midnight. It was a pretty good time.

I was told I am officially a walking pregnant joke now. It wasn't meant in a mean way, it was pretty funny. I was commenting on how I am now experiencing all the funny things you hear about pregnancy (peeing all the time, shortness of breath, difficulty putting my shoes on, etc...). It's fun and not fun at the same time. Fun because I'm finally at this point which means I'm nearing the end. Not fun because it's happening to me this time!

It's 2009, our babies' birthday year!!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 01-01-2009, 05:25 PM

Happy New Year's Mamas!
We had fondue as this is our tradition and ds passed out at 11pm after a lot of chocolate (we had chocolate fondue for dessert). I actually made it past midnight. We had friends over and it was very low key and fun.
I am 34wks and 1 day. I need to get moving but I am having troubles getting motivated. I still have no place for babies clothes.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 01-01-2009, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not only is it the year our babies will be born, but those of us that will be having early cesareans will have our babies THIS MONTH. OMG.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Wow. It just amazes me that I am legally able to have my midwife attend my home birth in two weeks! Yikes. That's not February either!

Yesterday was our third anniversary. My husband surprised me with bringing home ingredients for a dinner for me and a gorgeous blooming red rose (which somehow survived the -20 degree temps). We enjoyed sparkling organic lemonade and chicken fetuccini alfredo with soft music playing from our reception. It was perfect. Then we joined friends at a late night gathering where everyone was playing their board games. I think everyone was looking at the clock more to see when they could go home and go to bed rather than when they could cheer and shout Happy New Year and all that. I'm thankful that my husband and I enjoyed such a relaxing time together or it might have been really disappointing.

Today we escape for a few days to a cabin out in the middle of nowhere. Thankfully it's fully equipped with heat and water and cooking stuff. It should be fun!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

Old 01-01-2009, 06:27 PM

Happy anniversary, Josie.

Well, we're old farts, but we did absolutely nothing last night to mark it being NYs. Which was fine with us both. But we were exhausted from having gotten very little sleep the night before, and then the rednecks down the street started shooting off fireworks lat last night and well, let's just say that I'm glad NYE is over and we can move on into 2009.

I am hoping to get started on taking down Christmas stuff today, and moving furniture around. We're definitely heading into the home stretch...!

Old 01-01-2009, 06:51 PM

Happy New Year! Yep, I stayed up late last night all right. 10:30! Worked for me.

Today I'm going to take my Christmas tree down and get all christmas stuff put away. Then I'm going to work on doing a basic hypnobabies write up for DH and our doula. I want something they can read quickly to give them the basics and to have at the hospital.

My due date is one month from tomorrow! I can't believe it! Hope all of you are feeling good and rested today!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

User Tag List