Non-reactive fetal heartrate... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-29-2008, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I failed all my NSTs today and got sent to the hospital...

OMG what a day... I had my first non-stress test scheduled for 9am. They get me all hooked up and tell me it should only take 10-15mins. Then "trouble" began...

First 15min - Non reactive heartrate

Second 15min - Got buzzed, he kicked, non reactive HR

Third 15min - Got another buzz, drank some juice, no change

Fourth 15min - Ate some crackers, still no change

So the nurse comes in and tells me that I failed the NST and they're sending me over to the hospital for further monitoring. I go to Urgent Care on the L&D floor and get checked in. After all the paperwork I'm again hooked up to the monitors.

First 15min - Slightly reactive heartrate

Second 15min - Non reactive heartrate

So the OB comes in and tells me I failed the NST and so they're going to do a BPP. Apparently my fetal heart monitor strip looked ok, just not reassuring since it wasn't reactive.

BPP results were Breathing - Good!, Fluid - Good!, Movement - Good!, Reflexes - Good!, Heartrate - Stable. So he passed! They told me to come back if there are any changes in fetal movement or if I sense something is not right. Otherwise he's good for the next week.

I finally walk in the door, home just EIGHT hours after I left! My "quick" NST took all freaking day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-29-2008, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

What a challenging day! Glad baby is doing well.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#3 of 12 Old 12-29-2008, 09:23 PM

How scary! I'm glad the baby's doing ok now though! What a relief!

LOL...I've had the "baby alarm clock" (what I call the buzzer) used on me a couple times. I wish I had one at home for the times where baby fails kick counts. Apparently the baby's used to my two kids screaming and not even that wakes her up.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 12 Old 12-29-2008, 09:24 PM

Although I think they are greatly reassured when the baby is reactive, I have heard of many babies who aren't and are just fine.
I mean, in labor too, they like to see heartrates that react to contractions and head compression.

My 9 lb 6 oz baby was non reactive in labor but nobody was flipping out. They just paid more attention. He was just fine, despite 27 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing.
#5 of 12 Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 PM

How scary! I'm so glad everything is alright!

Tracy
due 2/10/09
#6 of 12 Old 12-29-2008, 10:37 PM

wow so scary but glad things turned out ok. keep us posted

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#7 of 12 Old 12-30-2008, 01:40 AM

Ugh. Sorry you had to go through all that, but glad everything's okay.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#8 of 12 Old 12-30-2008, 03:37 PM

What a nightmare. You've been through so much with this pregnancy. Its good to hear Baby is alright!

#9 of 12 Old 12-30-2008, 05:13 PM

Glad to hear it turned out okay, but I can imagine that wouldhave been scary!
#10 of 12 Old 12-30-2008, 06:31 PM

So sorry to hear what an ordeal that was but I'm glad things look good.

As a first time mom, I'm starting to freak a little when I don't feel the baby move for a while. I've read some previous posts that say the baby is supposed to move X times in 2 hours but how accurate is that?

I pushed on my stomach yesterday when I hadn't felt something for a while and she still didn't move! While I kept my cool, it still worried me. Yes, she eventually moved but is that normal that she couldn't be prodded into movement?

Trying not to over think it . . .
#11 of 12 Old 12-30-2008, 11:07 PM

Perfectly normal. I've poked Amelia several times in body parts that stick out and she didn't move. I just figured she was sleeping because hours later she'll be dancing around in there again. Some babies just really like to sleep (don't get too used to it though...I'm going to bet that Amelia won't be quite a good sleeper on the outside. : )

About the movements in 2 hours. It's probably accurate, but you won't be able to feel every single movement that's made. I've had posterior placentas (pregnancies 1 and 2) and an anterior placenta (this pregnancy) and the ultrasounds always showed movements I didn't feel. As for the x amount in 2 hours (or the one my OB uses is 8 movements in 1 hour), you're only supposed to measure the most active time--baby will have quiet times and times where the movements aren't obvious, but there should be at least one time a day where you'll feel some pretty good movements.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#12 of 12 Old 12-31-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Although I think they are greatly reassured when the baby is reactive, I have heard of many babies who aren't and are just fine.
I mean, in labor too, they like to see heartrates that react to contractions and head compression.

My 9 lb 6 oz baby was non reactive in labor but nobody was flipping out. They just paid more attention. He was just fine, despite 27 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing.
Mine too! T was non-reactive on the strip and it was one of the worst parts of my labour because they kept making me lay down to try another one He was just super laid back inside I guess because he came out almost 9 pounds and absolutely perfectly healthy (At 43 weeks I might add... so it wasn't like he came early because something was wrong either )

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page