How much time do you have after birth before choosing a name? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2008, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a set time? Does it vary from state to state? county to county?
We cannot come up with a name for the baby, and I dont want to feel "rushed" into picking a name. I am feeling so stressed over this, I just dont know what to do.
I aked my midwife, who seemed unsure...If anyone can help, or even tell me whom I should call to find out more info, I would be thankful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 07:17 AM

Are you delivering at a hospital? I think I was told that you have until discharge to fill out the forms for social security and the birth certificate, but I'd also be curious to hear what the experienced moms report on this also.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 AM

I've heard the same about a hospital birth. You have to name the baby before you leave. We're planning a home birth and haven't chosen a name yet. I'm wanting to do all the paperwork asap though for baby's passport so I'm rushing myself to find a name.

military wife to Eric, mommy to Ani 11/06 and Emi 2/09 and our angels angel1.gif 12/10, and angel1.gif 2/12 and our newest addition Izzy 4/13

Old 12-30-2008, 11:49 AM

It depends on what state you live in...in CO we have 65 days I think but you can also opt for an extention and you only have to name your baby before you leave the hospital if you want them to file the birth certificate and SS number paperwork.

I'm sure hope that is the same everywhere! That the hospital can't force you to name your baby! That would trample on your parental rights for sure!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 PM

The hospital can't force you to pick a name. I know I've heard stories of people not naming babies for months and months...it just isn't very common so you have to educate folks that there is no requirement. My midwife didn't name her 3rd baby for 6 weeks.

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
Old 12-31-2008, 01:06 AM

In GA, with my last birth, I was just told that if I decided to name my son in the hospital, they would file the birth certificate and SS# paperwork, and if we didn't name him, they would send the paperwork home with us to fill out and file ourselves. As far as I know, you are just saving yourself a little paperwork if you name your baby at the hospital. No one is going to force you to pick a name!
I haven't had any luck feeling drawn to certain names yet, either. And I'm hoping that when DD is born, she will LOOK like one of the twenty or so names on our list! But, when DS was born, it honestly didn't make it any easier...we just both agreed on one of our favorites off the list. I find it so hard...I don't know her yet, and all the names just don't sound familiar enough. I know that within a few weeks of using a name, it will seem as if it had always been, but until then....I just keep avoiding the topic!
Old 12-31-2008, 02:08 AM

I would go here:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/howto/w2w/w2welcom.htm

And click on your state, which should then bring up info on how/where to file a birth certificate, including contact information with phone number. That way you can call your state's certificate place and maybe they can tell you the specific legal requirements, or point you in the direction of who might be able to, if they can't.

Good luck finding the perfect name!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 12-31-2008, 04:56 PM

I think you may also be able to do a name change after the fact. Certainly you can make corrections if there is an error in the birth certificate, so I can't see why you couldn't change the name too.

In my husband's country, babies are usually not named until they are baptized. We thought about doing that but figured it would be too complicated what with having to apply for a SS# for the baby and so on (and I was wondering the same thing as the OP and couldn't figure it out), and anyway we decided on names already so why not just name it right away.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:34 PM

You can file any paperwork you want from home. The hospital offers this as a service which probably makes their records easier, but isn't required!

You have to have a social security number to gt the tax break! So I figure I have about 9-10 months to come up with a name for our daughter before having to do our 2009 taxes!

That's good, since I can't think of Anything I like!

If it encourages you, both my first two were named after birth in the hospital. Once we got to see them, their names came naturally. I am hoping for the same epiphany with #3!

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2009, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
We're in MA, and we checked out of the hospital without naming the baby. We were told that we had ten days, and after that, there would be a $250 extra filing fee. We got in just under the wire to avoid that charge.

I'm sure this varies from state to state, but I am also quite certain that they won't keep you and your baby in hospital just because you haven't yet come to an agreement on whether it's Louise Jane or Jane Louise.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
I would go here:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/howto/w2w/w2welcom.htm

And click on your state, which should then bring up info on how/where to file a birth certificate, including contact information with phone number. That way you can call your state's certificate place and maybe they can tell you the specific legal requirements, or point you in the direction of who might be able to, if they can't.

Good luck finding the perfect name!
at least here, this is how to GET a birth cert, not how to file for one to begin with.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
at least here, this is how to GET a birth cert, not how to file for one to begin with.
My point was to get to the contact information so the OP could call the place and ask them directly.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)

User Tag List