twitchy, spasmy movements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-31-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I'm 34 weeks now and for several months I have felt my little critter making these spastic, shuddering movements, almost like a "pee shiver" or a cold shiver. It makes my whole belly tremble. Does anyone else feel this? I imagine it is normal but I wonder what it could be-a cold or pee shiver just like we do, stretching, or just little nerves becoming active?
N
#2 of 11 Old 12-31-2008, 06:33 PM

I felt this last night!!!! At first I thought it was *me* because I had just received some upsetting news while changing into my pj's. But then I realized, uh....that was the baby! I hope it's normal. Last night was the first time I ever felt anything like it.
#3 of 11 Old 12-31-2008, 06:35 PM

I think it is pretty normal. I don't know what the cause is, but I've felt it on many occassions.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#4 of 11 Old 12-31-2008, 06:37 PM

hello, just popping in to say that i have read here on mdc that it is normal and is caused by an immature nervous system. both my kiddos did this in utero and ds2 (5 mo) did it a couple of days ago. it freaked me out cuz at first i thought he was having a seizure or something but he had just nursed to sleep and was still nursing through out his lil shiver episode. i think now it was just because he was over tired.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#5 of 11 Old 12-31-2008, 06:49 PM

Huh. I've gotton those frequently. This baby likes to move around a lot and responds to me touching my tummy and such. It feels really funny to have the baby move like that. I really hope it's just a normal part of things. I also feel a little fluttering down low sometimes. I keep wondering if it's fingers?

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#6 of 11 Old 01-01-2009, 12:26 AM

Yeah, it's interesting that you are mentioning this. I have been feeling the same type of movements since around 30 weeks or so too. It threw me off b/c none of my other babies moved like that. I did mention it to my m/w on one of my last visits and she said it was a common description and nothing to be concerned with.
Now at 35 weeks, they seem to have slowed down a bit but I do still feel them from time to time.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#7 of 11 Old 01-01-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post
I also feel a little fluttering down low sometimes. I keep wondering if it's fingers?
I feel that too... I was talking to my midwife and she was saying it was fingers too.
#8 of 11 Old 01-01-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to add that the shudder seems to come right at the end of a period of intense, wild movement, and then it's like the dude falls asleep immediately after the shudder (maybe it's like an orgasm! or
"aah i finally got that extra energy out of my system so I can sleep"). That's why I was alarmed at first, like it might be a seizure or something, because after the shudder I wouldn't feel anything for several hours.
#9 of 11 Old 01-01-2009, 01:40 PM

I'm definitely having this as well and it's a little disconcerting but hopefully normal if we're all experiencing it!!
#10 of 11 Old 01-01-2009, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I was thinking that my babe was having a seizure every now and then ... so much so that I was mentally preparing myself to have an infant with a seizure disorder. Then my midwife told me that it was perfectly normal, and not at all indicative of anything in particular. Just baby, doing baby moves.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#11 of 11 Old 01-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Okay, I am so glad about this posting. I was somewhat worrying about preparing myself for a seizure disorder-- I mean, on one hand I felt that it had to be somewhat normal b/c they little bodies and muscles and nervous sx's are developing, and I thought about how little babies can be a little spastic (for lack of a better term) in their movements. Still, it feels so odd. It sure is nice to take a long breath and stop any unnecessary worrying.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page