Post Partum Needs? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2009, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my first 2 births, I had tylenol with codiene and that worked well. It's what they sent me home with from the hospital. Lately, there have been articles stating that it could be dangerous for breasfeeding babies. I had nothing with the last pregnany except my heating pad and my husbands uterine massage (hes an expert by now). It was unbearable though.

A friend told me that cramp bark works better than tylenol with codiene, so I'm going to try that first. I have tylenol with codiene in the house because my son broke his arm a few months ago. I'm going to try not to use it, but I also don't want to throw it away just yet.

If this is your first baby, you may not have many afterpains. A heating pad and a regular tylenol may do the trick.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
Thanks for all the peri bottle info!
Do you think I can find one at a drugstore? We're homebirthing ...
Does your midwife have you order a kit? My last birthkit came with one and the one I just ordered for this baby comes with one too.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
I have to admit, when I'm not pregnant I'll take all the drugs I can to get rid of pain. I'm a wimp! So what's okay to take while breastfeeding and what should be avoided?

Regarding pain meds, regular Tylenol, Advil and other NSAIDs are fine. Homeopathic Arnica is fine. I don't know about cramp bark but there are lots of more knowledgeable mamas here than me when it comes to herbal remedies. You might check out Susun Weed's book too:

http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Woman-Her...1200731&sr=8-3

For heavy duty meds, Darvocet is fine according to my physician (it's what she said was the only safe painkiller for migraines when BFing, but as with anything, ask your own doctor). But she told me that Percocet is not ideal for a nursing mother with newborn because of the codeine (see below), and yet it's still commonly given to many women PP in hospitals. Go figure. They gave me Aleve and Percocet after Guinevere was born. I didn't know not to take the Percocet, and the Aleve tore my stomach up. This time I'll be declining both and sticking with Tylenol and Darvocet if needed.

The best resource on medications and BFing is this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

A really good online resource @ meds is kellymom:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html

But I highly recommend bookmarking the main kellymom site for all things BFing related. It's great. The meds page is taken from the Hale book.

Here is Dr. Hale's website, you can peruse the forums for info, but can only post if a medical professional:

http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-b...s&access=guest

Here's some info on why codeine is no longer advisable for nursing mothers, as it turns into morphine in breastmilk in some cases:

http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1188498903

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 PM

Recent stuff on acetaminophen:

http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20080...an-asthma-link
http://www.webmd.com/asthma/news/200...tied_to_asthma

I think I am going to use Ibuprofen. Not that I read anything about nursing moms, but, you know, just in case.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 PM

Oh my gosh, thank you for posting that! I hadn't heard about the Tylenol/asthma thing.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 AM

I was quite surprised to hear the link... right after taking Tylenol for a headache, at the start of my third trimester. Apparently, the third trimester and the baby's first year are the big risk times. Anyway, it really stuck with me, and disappointed me that I haven't heard more since. Like a response from Tylenol or something.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherbirth View Post
Does your midwife have you order a kit? My last birthkit came with one and the one I just ordered for this baby comes with one too.
They suggest what to have one hand, and provide ordering info if needed.
But I 'borrowed' everything from the ambulance station where I work, so I have everything but the darn peri bottle. I'll check out the pharmacy, and if I can't find one, I'll hit up a medical supply store or go beg one from a hospital. Sounds like a great thing to have on hand!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
They suggest what to have one hand, and provide ordering info if needed.
But I 'borrowed' everything from the ambulance station where I work, so I have everything but the darn peri bottle. I'll check out the pharmacy, and if I can't find one, I'll hit up a medical supply store or go beg one from a hospital. Sounds like a great thing to have on hand!
If you can't find one, let me know. I'll mail you the one they gave me last time, since they'll give me a new one again this time.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 AM

doh doh doh..... I took acetaminophen during my whole pregnancy! ok, not EVERYDAY but I had these awful headaches in the first trimester and then I started taking them again recently to help with my groin pain.

No one has asthma in my family and DH had it as a child but is fine now.

I guess I need to go do some research for alternatives.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:46 AM

ddc crashing...

What about post partum herbal baths? I had the EMAB and some homemade mixes. VERY nice on the bottom and lovely to soak with baby too. I've been giving them to everynew mom I know because I liked it so much.

A big, fat water bottle for you. Hubbby got me this giant one with a straw so I can drink while I nurse.

A moby wrap or a sling for babywearing.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 PM

I did not read all responses, but I just use disposable water bottles with the sport top as peri bottles!

I am never organized enough to actually buy these things beforehand--so my husband always gets to run to the convience store right after
Old 01-06-2009, 10:03 PM

Anyone used Tucks pads? I was discussing post partum needs with my sister last night, she's had 4 babies. She said these were her best friend after every labor, especially her first (she pushed for a very long time, had a pretty significant tear and actually fractured her tailbone in the process. She didn't walk right for weeks!).

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 PM

Tucks pads are your friends. But they are NOT flushable. Especially if you have a septic tank. And it is NOT fun to call a plumber to come unstop your toilet postpartum because you assumed Tucks were flushable.

Not that I'd know from personal experience....

Old 01-07-2009, 01:39 AM

http://everythingbirth.com/Labor.html

that site has some great stuff on it - including cheapy peri bottles

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
Old 01-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Cool site! Thanks!

Tracy
Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 PM

I'm still wondering what the peri bottle is used for....

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 01-07-2009, 03:55 PM

The 800mg Motrin worked miracles for my afterpains. That is what I will be using again this time.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
I'm still wondering what the peri bottle is used for....
From my response to s&d:

Very warm water in the peri bottle, and squirt right on before you start to pee, while you're peeing, and after. It's wonderful. Otherwise the pee stings. You still wipe (well, blot), but it's like a minibidet for your hoohoo. It's a big relief and makes it easier to pee too.

Read the first page of this thread -- there are a couple mentions of how it works, I think.

HTH!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I can't wait to get one, nighten... I think I could use one now as my nether regions are rather swollen and tender. I've been enjoying sitting with an ice pack between my legs and dabbing with witch hazel. Ahh, vulva variscosity ... so nasty.:

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:10 PM

I think as far as nipple cream goes Laninsoh is the standard. YOur local LLL probably has samples of it!
I use my own pads.
I loved the herbal sitz bath from my birth kit which came from www.inhishands.com
Have a great birth!

User Tag List