Post Partum Needs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What should I have on hand at home for post partum needs? I'm thinking mostly of what I'll need as opposed to baby. Any advise is welcome...what type of pads, nipple cream, etc... Also any herbals, homeopathics that you have been happy to have at home.

Because of my location I may need to order some things. I obviously have a grocery store but specialty items might have to be ordered so I want to get a jump on that now.

TIA!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 12:29 AM

Arnica Montana homeopathic tabs for bruising/swelling
You can do red raspberry leaf tea still to help shrink back down the uterus
I did fine/liked Lansinoh, but a lot of people prefer a different nipple cream or ointment
Colace
Peri bottle- there will be one for you at the hospital or in the birth kit you order
Ice peri pads- I adore these. They have them in the hospital, or if you are birthing at home, many online stores offer them.
My favorite nursing pads were Curity, but I plan to shop around
Nursing stool- keeps your knees higher so you aren't hunching forward to nurse
I personally needed a Boppy or My Breast Friend nursing pillow
Extra cloth diapers (gerber or chinese prefolds) for burp/spit up/leaky breast rags
I liked Depends pull-up undergarments for lochia
A BIG mug or jug or bottle for drinking water
Lots of easy to eat/prepare foods
Sling
Old 01-04-2009, 01:48 AM

Yes to all this, and it's a great list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstream Hippie View Post
Arnica Montana homeopathic tabs for bruising/swelling
I did fine/liked Lansinoh, but a lot of people prefer a different nipple cream or ointment
Colace
Peri bottle- there will be one for you at the hospital or in the birth kit you order
Nursing stool- keeps your knees higher so you aren't hunching forward to nurse
Boppy
Extra cloth diapers (gerber or chinese prefolds) for burp/spit up/leaky breast rags
A BIG mug or jug or bottle for drinking water
Lots of easy to eat/prepare foods
Sling
I'd add:

Hypericum homeopathic
blank video tapes
Lots of toilet paper
Cloth nursing pads (I like the Medela cloth nursing pads but only for home use. Otherwise they felt like I was wearing coasters in my bra. -- another mama here might have a better suggestion there)
I like Medela's disposable ones too. It's a personal thing, obviously.

I recently got some LilyPadz which are awesome. I bought them because I'm tired of having to wear padded bras. I have a friend who says that LilyPadz are the best nursing pads ever. I'm looking forward to seeing for myself.

I just used the biggest maxi pads (overnight/long) I could find; they worked fine. I'm very tempted to try the Depends this time too.

I would add an old, thin wool blanket to put under your fitted sheet on your bed, to protect the mattress from any leaks or spitups, etc., if you're planning to co-sleep.

And Dr Sears' The Baby Book, and a good nursing book (I think LLL's is the best probably, but I ended up with The Nursing Mother's Companion and it was fine).

ETA: might also want to have to flushable wipes and/or Tucks type witch hazel pads on hand. The birth center gives us a can of Dermoplast (I think that's what it's called? It's a numbing spray) and you spray it directly on the maxipad. It's wonderful stuff.

You might also like Well-in-Hand Herbals New Mama Tush Soothing Bath and/or the Earth Mama postpartum kit. I used the W-i-H one last time and it was a bit messy, and I've been eyeing the EM kit. Not sure if I'll be able to get it, but I am loving the trial size stretch oil I got. Smells divine.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 01-04-2009, 02:28 AM

Hypericum homeopathic - what is this for?

Quote:
I recently got some LilyPadz which are awesome. I bought them because I'm tired of having to wear padded bras. I have a friend who says that LilyPadz are the best nursing pads ever. I'm looking forward to seeing for myself.
I have heard rave reviews of these as well, and bought some! They do say to wait until your supply is established before you can use them. Bummer!

Quote:
And Dr Sears' The Baby Book
*nods*

Quote:
ETA: might also want to have to flushable wipes and/or Tucks type witch hazel pads on hand. The birth center gives us a can of Dermoplast (I think that's what it's called? It's a numbing spray) and you spray it directly on the maxipad. It's wonderful stuff.
I loved Tucks, and found Dermoplast useless. Never tried spraying it on the pad, though.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 AM

For nursing pads, anything pre-made contoured is great, as opposed to the flat circles, whether you're buying disposable or cloth. The ones I have are Dr. Brown's brand (I think?) that I bought a year and a half ago at Babies 'R Us. They're wonderful because they don't pucker around the edges and show through your bra and shirt while being worn.

For postpartum maxi pads, my midwife recommends bladder control pads that are longer and more absorbent so I did this last time and it worked great (I think I just bought the Walmart store brand). I usually use a Keeper with cloth pads every month, but the Keeper's obviously out for postpartum bleeding and my regular cloth pads simply can't get the job done by themselves, at least until the heavier lochia flow stops.

I plan to prepare for postpartum hemorrhoids this time and have witch hazel pads and OTC suppositories and cream beforehand, just in case. Hemorrhoids weren't an issue at my last birth (but were for #1 and #2 -- OH, MAN!), but I had some nasty ones a few weeks ago so I have my suspicions.

I always had Lansinoh on hand and think it's a great product but never really felt the need for it myself, luckily (no cracked nipples or anything, knock on wood!).

Pre-made frozen meals and/or lots of convenience foods. I need to get on this, myself!

Liquid chlorophyll and Floradix liquid iron -- I had a partial placental abruption and hemorrhaged during labor at my last birth, and my midwife brought me these from a local health food shop to help rebuild my blood supply. I plan to get them beforehand this time and start taking them right as my due date approaches. I figure it can't hurt.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:00 AM

The Hypericum works well with Arnica for post-partum healing, and it also helps treat hemorrhoids. I want to say I've seen it listed also for PPD, but I might be wrong there. Haven't looked at that info in a while.

ETA: Yep. It's a good remedy for melancholy and sleep issues too, apparently.

EATA: It's not as important as the Arnica though, so don't go out of your way for it if your local HFS doesn't have it in stock. I just had it jotted down on my list of ones for postpartum, since I finished stocking up my labor kit with L&D ones.

The Dermoplast would be a mess, I'd think, if you tried spraying it on directly. (At least for me -- but I also made a mess trying to spray breastmilk directly onto any malady -- I do much better with putting sprayed thing on something else first, if that makes sense. )

Anyway it really worked well on the pad for the first few days for me, but it wasn't nearly as vital as the peri bottle.

They also gave me a sitz bath bowl thing to actually sit in on the toilet. It's still wrapped up in plastic. I never opened it. I just sat in the tub. But I used that blessed peri bottle religiously.

I'm glad to know about not using the LilyPadz until the milk comes in -- I hadn't thought about it but that makes sense. I don't wear them daily; just when I need to go out and don't want to wear a padded bra. I probably won't use them postpartum for a while. I still have my cloth and some disposable pads left from last time, in a closet.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:55 AM

I'd suggest some sort of pain reliever for the afterpains you may experience while nursing, although if this is your first child they may not be too awful. With my last child, #3, the afterpains seemed worse than labor itself!

Homeschooling Mom of 4 boys: 10/02, 6/04, 3/06, 2/09
Old 01-04-2009, 10:16 AM

This is a little off topic, but it goes to PP mental health for me.

I had a calendar with DS. I hung it above the changing table with a pen on a string. In it, I could quickly jot down stuff like "first BM" or "smiled first time" or whatever. I NEVER had time to get out the baby book, and the calendar took TONS of mental pressure off me to be a "perfect mom", because I knew I could always go back and transfer the info to the baby book.

Tracy
Old 01-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Lurker from January...

The bamboo velour nursing pads and cloth pads from this site are AWESOME. Unbelievably soft and nice. Various colorways are available at different times, I believe they stock on Tuesday nights.

http://hyenacart.com/HomesteadEmporium/

As one of the pps said-- LilyPadz shouldn't be used for the first couple of months. They could cause blocked ducts if you're prone to that and probably won't work well during the "fountain" stage anyway.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:28 AM

I second (third? whatever) cloth nursing pads. The paper ones stick.
You may have the same problem I am having with having to mail order bras because of your location? You will definitely need a larger nursing bra when your milk comes in, but it's hard to know exactly how much larger. I emailed a few places to ask their returns policy, I plan to order a few sizes and then return the ones that don't fit.
I found I didn't need special postpartum maxi pads, just the regular ones were fine (maybe I bleed less or something?)
My midwife suggested making compresses with maxi pads and comfrey tea, if you want to mail order comfrey herb and want instructions let me know.
Bendable straws, so that you can actually drink when you are nursing
Old 01-04-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitDancer View Post
Liquid chlorophyll
I have this, too, but wasn't sure of spelling, so left it off my list.

Isn't also naturally high in Vitamin K, or is that alfalfa?

I totally need to go get some Hypericum. I have had issues with PPD after both my kids, electing to utilize Zoloft after my son, for a variety of reasons. It was a REALLY good thing for me, but while I intended to only be on it for about a year, it took forever to wean off it. It would be best to not need it at all. (But if I do, I won't hesitate.)
Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
... nearly as vital as the peri bottle.

They also gave me a sitz bath bowl thing to actually sit in on the toilet. It's still wrapped up in plastic. I never opened it. I just sat in the tub. But I used that blessed peri bottle religiously.
I wanted to marry my peri bottle. :rofl

Quote:
I'm glad to know about not using the LilyPadz until the milk comes in -- I hadn't thought about it but that makes sense. I don't wear them daily; just when I need to go out and don't want to wear a padded bra. I probably won't use them postpartum for a while. I still have my cloth and some disposable pads left from last time, in a closet.
*nods* It is because they apply gentle pressure. Also, if you are super leaky, they will get wet, and stick less effectively. That said, that may not be a bad thing. I opened them up when they arrived and tried one on. It was very cool. But getting it off? Yeowch!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABE View Post
I'd suggest some sort of pain reliever for the afterpains you may experience while nursing, although if this is your first child they may not be too awful. With my last child, #3, the afterpains seemed worse than labor itself!
Yes, me too! OUCH. It was like war flashbacks every time the baby latched on; this continued for several days, at least (but they only lasted a minute or less each time; I don't want to freak anyone out!). I'd heard that afterpains tend to be worse if you've had previous births, and this was definitely true for me!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Okay, talk to me about peri bottles .... you squirt your yoni after you pee? But then you still have to wipe? Or is it for relief, not for peeing? And do you put sumpin' special in it? Enlighten me?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:55 PM

The only thing I'll add is an after pain tincture like Motherwart...works wonders...though after pains are supposibly worse with 2nd and beyond kids (I found that true for sure)...the first is much easier

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
Okay, talk to me about peri bottles .... you squirt your yoni after you pee? But then you still have to wipe? Or is it for relief, not for peeing? And do you put sumpin' special in it? Enlighten me?
Very warm water in the peri bottle, and squirt right on before you start to pee, while you're peeing, and after. It's wonderful. Otherwise the pee stings. You still wipe (well, blot), but it's like a minibidet for your hoohoo. It's a big relief and makes it easier to pee too.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you asked--I was about to! So do they give you one of these at the hospital, if you have a hospital birth?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:33 PM

Yes, they should have a peri bottle available for you, and you take it home. After my last birth, my midwife said to add a little betadine to the warm water.

It is really helpful when you know you need to pee, but are having trouble activating the right muscles to pee. The warm water splashing there "reminds" your body what to do. Then blot gently after.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 PM

I didn't add anything to mine. Just the super warm (nearly hot) water.

Does Betadine stain? Or if it's diluted is that okay? I've not used it in ages.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

:

You Mama's are wonderful. I'm taking all of this in! Thanks!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 01-04-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
I didn't add anything to mine. Just the super warm (nearly hot) water.

Does Betadine stain? Or if it's diluted is that okay? I've not used it in ages.
I justed used warm water for first kidlet. I assumed she had me add in the betadine for my "skidmarks" that did not require stitching. And likewise, I would assume that betadine would stain. But it was when I was still bleeding PP, so it isn't like I was wearing my nice whites.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:45 PM

I cried when I found out I'd left my peri bottle at the hospital. Then again, I cried about everything, hahaha. They gave me a new one when we went back for the 2-day "how's everything" check, plus an inflatable donut for sitting on in the tub! I loved that thing!!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:46 PM

Everything on this list so far is great! I am taking notes too.

For my last baby, I had a bottle of witch hazel, which I could lightly soak a few really thick pads with, and put in the freezer. It felt wonderful on my stitches as I was healing. Helped with pain and itching! Just don't pour it on too heavily! Too cold!

I agree on the nursing pads, be careful with the disposables sticking! That really can hurt! If you do have them stick, use your peri bottle to pour a little warm water on them before pulling them off to release them. It helps!

For disposables, I like the Lansinoh or the Medela ones. Better fit, less sticking. But I would love to try the bamboo reusables this time!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstream Hippie View Post
I justed used warm water for first kidlet. I assumed she had me add in the betadine for my "skidmarks" that did not require stitching. And likewise, I would assume that betadine would stain. But it was when I was still bleeding PP, so it isn't like I was wearing my nice whites.
That makes sense and d'oh on the bleeding thing. I really do get dumb when I'm pregnant.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:07 AM

I have to add this. Last night, going through things, I found my peri bottle, pressumably from my son's birth. Over 5 years ago. THAT is how much I loved it.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks for all the peri bottle info!
Do you think I can find one at a drugstore? We're homebirthing ...

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABE View Post
This is the main thing for me. A good heating pad helps and I've heard that cramp bark helps as well. I see the cramp bark bottles in my midwives office, so I assume that they use it a lot.

With each baby, the afterpains get worse. I barely felt them with my first, but with my 4th birth, they were worse than hard labor.

Also, I heard that soaking heavy menstral pads in witch hazel and freezing them works wonders for vaginal pains.

Ugh, just adding to my list.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 01-05-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the peri bottle info!
Do you think I can find one at a drugstore? We're homebirthing ...
There was one in my homebirth kit. You can probably find one in a drugstore, but I've never noticed one.

Oh and if you have more than one bathroom, you need 2 peribottles. What I would do was immediately turn on the warm water when I entered the bathroom. Then, I'd fill the bottle and then sit down with my warm water ready to go. Nothing like a good panic when you realize youre peribottle is in the other bathroom!

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 01-05-2009, 05:37 PM

My cheapie peribottle from my last hospital birth is so simple, you could probably find an adequate substitute around the house possibly. It is just a flexible plastic bottle with a screw-on cap that has a squirty top like dishwashing soap, where you pull up on the top, and it opens so you can direct and squirt it. Maybe a mustard bottle? You just want to be able to direct a stream of water at your yoni without making puddles all over your bathroom floor... Clean it out good, though, if you decide to repurpose something from your kitchen!! But, I wouldn't be surprised if they are available at drugstores, too. I still have mine under the bathroom sink from 3 years ago!
I wanted to second the lots of toilet paper recommendation. I remember commenting to people about the amount of paper products me and the new baby seemed to be going through, between pads, toilet paper, nursing pads, diapers, wipes, etc, etc, etc. Hopefully, this time, we won't use so very much paper...but I am restocking the TP!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 PM

I'm really glad this thread is here! I honestly hadn't given much thought to what I would need after the birth other than pads. I've been so focused on what we'll need for the baby. What is the peri bottle used for? I have to admit, when I'm not pregnant I'll take all the drugs I can to get rid of pain. I'm a wimp! So what's okay to take while breastfeeding and what should be avoided?

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

User Tag List