YIPES! - Baby Dropped! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a first-time mom, and I'm only 33 weeks, but I'm 90% sure my baby has engaged.

1. My body shape changed. I was carrying high into my chest. Now I'm pair-shaped.
2. I feel her bearing down more during the day—especially when I walk (but not all the time).
3. I have to pee within 15 minutes to 1/2 hour every time I drink (last night I got up 5 times to pee).
4. My 38" band bras are lose. My 36" bands (which left red welts on me the last 4 weeks) suddenly fit comfortably...and not even on the largest setting.

I'm a little concerned about this. Somewhere I read that most first-time moms don't experience lightening until they are 2 weeks or less away from the birth.

Am I in danger of going into pre-term labor?

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 01:02 AM

I think mine dropped at 34 weeks - it's actually more common for the baby to drop early in a 1st pregnancy rather than in subsequent ones. Most people deliver within 4 weeks of dropping, but I was outside that range by about 1.5 weeks, my lo was just a few days early. I would imagine it's likely that you won't go much past your due date, but I also wouldn't worry about preterm labor. Maybe other mamas have more info for you, that's just what I know about it.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:53 AM

Try not to worry. Guinevere dropped before 32 weeks last time. She was born at 39 weeks exactly (her choice). It was not a fun month and a half+ walking around with a bowling ball between my legs, but it ended up being fine.

This baby dropped at 29 weeks. It sounds bizarre, but it's true. Same thing -- my belly hits my thighs when I walk up stairs, I have to pee all the time (at least every 2 hours at night), sometimes very very suddenly, and I can feel her right there, pressing on my cervix sometimes. Midwife confirmed baby's position last two appointments. She can feel the head (externally). She's dropped.

Some babies just engage early. They like to settle in. It does not mean you're going to have preterm labor or that your babe will be premature. Mine wasn't. She was early, but that happens.

Hang in there.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 01-04-2009, 02:29 AM

My first (now nearly 11!) also "dropped" pretty early, probably right around the same point you're at. I just woke up one morning and looking and feeling different, and could finally BREATHE again (but had to pee all the dang time, like you describe)! I was also surprised and a bit concerned, but he hung in there until I went into spontaneous labor right on time, just three days before my due date on the date of a full moon.

With #2, the baby didn't drop until I was much closer to my due date (I think -- I don't recall for sure). And with #3, I don't remember "dropping" at all before labor began and was still carrying high and short of breath even in early labor. I imagine the same will happen with this baby (#4), also high and dry now at almost 34 weeks.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 PM

Maia (this baby) dropped about a week or so ago. head fully engaged. can feel her sholders in my upper thighs when I sit down. I'm 33 weeks and this is baby 4 - I NEVER make it to 40 weeks. am i concerned - yeah a bit becuase I'm having semi regular *actual* contractions (not BH - these are wrapping around my body and I cannot walk or sleep through them).

I see my OB tuesday for u/s and we will see what kind of whatever is goign on then but honestly I doubt I make it to 2/2 - my youngest was born at 37+2 I figure I'll be lucky to get to 37 this round (my first was born at 35 weeks and the second was born at 39+3)
Old 01-04-2009, 05:50 PM

yep totally normal...engaged at this point is a good thing...less likely to have cord issues

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 01-04-2009, 06:07 PM

How do you know when the baby has dropped? What does that feel like?

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 01-04-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
How do you know when the baby has dropped? What does that feel like?
First and foremost - you can breathe again! Seriously. Less heartburn, increase in lung capacity, increase in pelvic pressure, (sometimes) increased tenderness and swelling in the vulva, feeling like you have a soccer ball between your legs ALL of the time.

you can also feel a position change if you palpate your belly but mostly you can see it (I think anyhow)
Old 01-04-2009, 07:54 PM

Babies can also engage and then disengage hours or days (or weeks) later. This baby (#3 for me) actually engaged at 31 weeks, but disengaged again after a few days. Now he/she is feeling lower again. I occasionally do gentle vaginal exams and can easily feel the head quite low, but I remember in my last pregnancies how much lower the head will get when the baby is REALLY engaged. I tend to be at 0 or +1 station quite easily well before labor starts.

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
Old 01-05-2009, 12:13 AM

with your first you need that head on the cervix to dilate it...subsequent babies that doesn't have to happen b/c your cervix has "memory" and knows what to do.

not that you're going to go into labor soon.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy StormRaven View Post
First and foremost - you can breathe again! Seriously. Less heartburn, increase in lung capacity, increase in pelvic pressure, (sometimes) increased tenderness and swelling in the vulva, feeling like you have a soccer ball between your legs ALL of the time.
Yep especially on the bolded part. But for me it's also needing to pee very often (though that's a given throughout pregnancy for me -- i think I have a little bladder; it does worsen when baby drops though), and (TMI) feeling like I need to have a BM often as well. Even though I don't. But there's that...pressure there, if that makes sense?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
Yep especially on the bolded part. But for me it's also needing to pee very often (though that's a given throughout pregnancy for me -- i think I have a little bladder; it does worsen when baby drops though), and (TMI) feeling like I need to have a BM often as well. Even though I don't. But there's that...pressure there, if that makes sense?

Big ol ditto here as well.

I'm one of those that ALWAYS dilates and effaces early anyhow. I'm almost ALWAYS 3-5 and 60-80% when I have SROM (which is always) so Early dropping isnt' necessarily a new thing - just not THIS early usually. But anothe rthing for me (this time) is that I can feel exactly wher ethe curve of her head is in relation to my pelvis and where her shoulders start too.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:51 AM

I need to ask my midwife but I don't remember if I was dilated prior to my waters breaking or not. I know I was already 100% effaced though, but that was the EPO I'd taken, I'm pretty sure.

I'll likely let her check me after 36 weeks, just out of curiosity (I know, I know, but I'm curious!).

ETA: What's SROM?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it appears to be a false alarm anyhow. She was back in my chest this AM, but luckily not as high as in the past few weeks...though there was a brief time this AM I was very short of breath when she stretched out. I guess she's deciding whether or not to get ready.

I think part of why she moved back up is bc last night I sat on a regular desk chair (with a pretty solid pad) for an extended time rather than the balance ball chair I typically sit on. It felt like she was a little higher after I got up and during the night she was moving a lot and woke me up. She's really sensitive to outside pressure so I think the chair bugged her. I'm definitely sticking with sitting on balance balls for the rest of the pregnancy.

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
Old 01-05-2009, 01:45 PM

SROM= spontaneous rupture of membranes (as opposed to AROM- artificial rupture of membranes, ie with an amniohook)
Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
I need to ask my midwife but I don't remember if I was dilated prior to my waters breaking or not. I know I was already 100% effaced though, but that was the EPO I'd taken, I'm pretty sure.

I'll likely let her check me after 36 weeks, just out of curiosity (I know, I know, but I'm curious!).

ETA: What's SROM?
My doc actually doesn't check until I request it but until you are actually IN labor he only checks with u/s - says it gives a better indication of what is ACTUALLY happening internally. But then he's a high risk OB anyhow so he preferes to get all applicable info (and hey - it DOES give me a 3D pic of baby girl too so I'm not complaining!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:39 PM
k13

I carry low and birth early... definitely feeling the bowling ball pressure now, spending time with rear end up in the air to get some occasional relief. She tends to drop lower when I'm on my feel a lot and then come back up when I take it easy.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly mama View Post
Babies can also engage and then disengage hours or days (or weeks) later.
Yup to this. My babies tend to pop up and down from time to time toward the beginning of the end, before they really decide to get comfy for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Lil_Mamma View Post
Well, it appears to be a false alarm anyhow. She was back in my chest this AM, but luckily not as high as in the past few weeks...though there was a brief time this AM I was very short of breath when she stretched out. I guess she's deciding whether or not to get ready.
She'll probably go back and forth, depending at least partially on your posture and mood. You will find, now that she dropped once already, that it is fairly easy to coax her back that way if you like. Just stretch, relax, do some breathing exercies, or some yoga, squats, "bellydancing", that sort of thing. You'll probably feel her pop right back down after a few mintues or so.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

User Tag List