Belly casts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-06-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else thinking of/planning on doing a belly cast? I have seen some really cool ones that friends of mine have done, and I'd really like to do it.

For anyone who is doing one... when do you plan to do it? I am trying to figure out when is late enough to get a nice big belly shape, without waiting so long that the baby comes before doing it!
#2 of 15 Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 PM

What do you do with those things?? Yes, they're cute an all but what the heck do you do with it. I don't get it.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#3 of 15 Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 PM

I thought about doing the belly casts and I'd do it if I had a bigger house! I had my wedding bouquet preserved and it's all nice in a frame but lack wall space to put it up. So if I can't find the space for my wedding bouquet, I doubt I'd have space for a belly cast.

I'm going to henna my belly instead. I'm going to have DH do it. I'm planning on doing it 2 weeks before my due date.
#4 of 15 Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 PM

I'm doing one. I did one last time. Mine has sat on a shelf as a piece of art. Although it needs some repairs (my mom knocked it down and it has a dent in it now. I think it's neat to compare my belly this time to my belly last time. I think I did it at 37 weeks last time. I think I'll do it around about 36.5 this time.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#5 of 15 Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseatthebeach View Post
What do you do with those things?? Yes, they're cute an all but what the heck do you do with it. I don't get it.
That, exactly. It's like, oh yeah! My belly! Um.

Nope. Not for me. I don't want my belly out on the coffee table. Or hanging over the fireplace. And honestly, with this umbilical hernia I've got going on, it would just look like two big boobs with a giant boob underneath. So...

I understand the appeal in doing it, and preserving that moment and memory. I just don't know what on earth *I* would do with it after the fact, so I'm okay with the memory living in photographs instead.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#6 of 15 Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Banned

I'm going to have my DH paint my belly and take pics instead.
#7 of 15 Old 01-07-2009, 12:59 AM

I have done one with every pregnancy and they hang in each child's bedroom. I have waited to decorate them until each baby was older and I knew them a bit. The kids love to talk about them and even my teen still has her's on her wall...of course she wants to be a midwife so she might be a bit odd teen out.

I do it in early labor...is distracting and makes the time go by!

I also have had Henna done and paint done at my mama blessing ceremonies...

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#8 of 15 Old 01-07-2009, 01:44 AM

I was going to do one with ds2 at 38 weeks...he came at 37. I wish I'd thought to send h out for supplies during the 3 days we waited for labour to kick in after my water broke, but I didn't even think to send him out for diapers. Hoping to do one this time around. Going to try to have supplies in in the next couple weeks & then just do it around 37 weeks or in labour, whichever comes first.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#9 of 15 Old 01-07-2009, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess View Post
I also have had Henna done and paint done at my mama blessing ceremonies...
When you do henna, do you just do it because it's nice? Do you take a photo to remember it?
#10 of 15 Old 01-07-2009, 06:23 PM

I am planning on doing it next week at 36 weeks. I am planning on painting it bronze and hanging it in our bedroom. There is a belly cast in my chiropractor's office that is mounted on and iron stand... it kind of looks like a sewing form but prettier because it is painted with flowers.
#11 of 15 Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 PM

I did mine with DD at 38 wks (she was born 2 days later). With DS we did it at 37 wks (he was born 5 days later). I'm undecided if we'll do it again this time. If not, we'll buy some body paints and let the older 2 decorate the belly and take lots of pictures.

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
#12 of 15 Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherbirth View Post
When you do henna, do you just do it because it's nice? Do you take a photo to remember it?
I have a few pictures but mostly it is about being pampered and gathering energy from your woman clan!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#13 of 15 Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM

I'm planning on getting some girls together and having a little girls night at right around 38 weeks, at which time my belly cast will be created. That, for me, is right around February 12.

I like bizarre, random art, and I love the idea of having this to decorate and hang on the wall. It will go nicely with the rest of my "treasures"

: single mom extraordinaire, keeper of eew since 02/09
#14 of 15 Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
That, exactly. It's like, oh yeah! My belly! Um.

Nope. Not for me. I don't want my belly out on the coffee table. Or hanging over the fireplace. And honestly, with this umbilical hernia I've got going on, it would just look like two big boobs with a giant boob underneath. So...

I understand the appeal in doing it, and preserving that moment and memory. I just don't know what on earth *I* would do with it after the fact, so I'm okay with the memory living in photographs instead.
Haha that's so me! Umbilical hernia and all!
#15 of 15 Old 01-08-2009, 10:40 AM

i have one from my first pregnancy...it used to hang in my bedroom...but i moved and my mom has it in her childbirth class space now. for my second pregnancy i did a henna belly and this time i did professional portraits.

oh my mom does belly casting for people so when i was pregnant the second time i did a cast from my chin to my knees for her. she wanted it for her own art in her classroom and so i did do that one but that wasn't for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page