Vitamin C to prevent PROM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my last two pregnancies, my membrane ruptured before going into labor. The first time it happened (must have been a smaller break high up, it trickled continuously but there was never any big WHOOSH!) I attributed it to my OB-employed midwife (at the time) stripping my membranes a day earlier, without my prior consent, in an attempt to "get things going." But then in my next pregnancy I wasn't with the same midwife and had lived and learned, no membrane stripping happened, and I had the huge waterfall waters-breaking two days before my due date. I didn't go into labor for more than 24 hours after this.

Anyway, I'd like to avoid this this time around, if I can; not only should it make labor more tolerable to have that extra cushioning for a while, but not being able to go anywhere because there's a folded-up towel in your pants kinda sucked. I've heard that taking extra vitamin C can help strengthen your bag of waters; does anyone know how much is recommended for this? I have some Emergen-C that I just started taking this morning; each packet is about 1,600% of your recommended daily value. But vitamin C is water-soluble, right (I'm too lazy to look it up)? Is the one packet per day enough, do you think, or should I take maybe a second one at night as well until I deliver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-09-2009, 01:35 PM

I just saw a thread about this on this board in the Pregnancy Forum I think. I think the suggestions were for orange pith and a couple other things I can't remember. I bet searching for pith would find it.
#3 of 5 Old 01-09-2009, 01:35 PM

#4 of 5 Old 01-09-2009, 01:48 PM

I don't think I'd take two packets of Emergen-C for the remainder of our pregnancies. I might even split the one packet over two doses, or try to instead just mega dose through foods.

I heard the Brewer's Diet was very good for strengthening the amniotic sac, but be aware that also can lead to chunky babies.
#5 of 5 Old 01-09-2009, 01:50 PM

actually, taking a ton of vitamin C is fine as long as you continue to take the same dose after the baby is born so the baby can get it through your breastmilk-- there is some documentation of babies being suddenly weaned off of vitamin c and it can cause some problems.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page