Weekly chat Jan 17th-23rd - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 229 Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH comes home today!!!! I'm excited!!

I need to go through the clothes I have right now and figure out what else I might need for baby! I'm feeling like I have outfits and not enough tshirts. I still need to come up with a name for the baby. My friend is letting me borrow her carseat so I think I have the basics. I have the crib, mattress, carseat, some baby clothes and diapers. It's just the little extras that I would like to get, like more clothes and diapers.

I'm feeling more anxious with each passing week. I think my biggest fear is that I will have to give birth alone because something will go wrong with fil. I don't want my parents in the room with me; just DH. Right now, fil is fine but he takes so many unnecessary risks everyday, I just don't know until the time comes. I keep telling the baby he has to help us and come out while his grandpa is A. at the senior center or B. while he is sleeping and to come out fast!!
#62 of 229 Old 01-18-2009, 08:58 PM

Ugh. I tried to get a ton of shopping errands done and half the things I tried to buy I couldn't find. I'm so pooped! Where the heck can I find curtains for the nursery? I went to bed bath & beyond, target, babies r us and jc penny. Nothing! I found some online at babies r us but they are sold out. Hrmph! At least I managed to stock up on necessities at target and got my tucks medicated pads and depends for after the birth. DH was so embarassed! He was like "can't you buy this stuff when I'm not with you?" LOL!

Off to go lie down...after hitting soooo many stores today my feet are super swollen and aching!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#63 of 229 Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

I had my maternity shoot today. We went down to the waterfront and it was SO COLD and windy, I hope the pictures turned out okay! The wind made my eyes water so bad and I couldn't feel my hands or my face so I wasn't sure if I was making weird faces or not LOL
#64 of 229 Old 01-18-2009, 11:13 PM

Can you make the curtains? Curtains are super easy to make. If you have a fabric store near by, I am sure you'd be able to find some fabric to match!
#65 of 229 Old 01-18-2009, 11:39 PM

TAK, says "I still have no idea what contractions are supposed to feel like."

I think everyone is different.

For me, contractions sweep from my sides to my middle, and I feel like my uterus is being pushed down. They also make it very difficult to walk or move. I find I want to hold my breath (something I have to remind myself to do through the contraction!) I feel a strong need to stay still and wait for them to pass. But, really, it's best if you keep moving so you can help your body wiggle the baby down.

Tracy
#66 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 12:22 AM

Yeah, I think I might end up having to attempt to make curtains. I don't sew - at all. But DH's mom gave him a little sewing machine and they seem like the easiest thing one could possibly make. I think DH's little brother made himself curtains so hopefully I can manage?? I still have no idea why it's so impossible to find them - I'm just looking for solid color pastel pink or pink gingham or polka dot. Found nothing even remotely similar though.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#67 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

OMG you guys, the photographer put up the first two pics from my shoot already. You can see them here: http://blog.amycrawfordphotography.com/

She is SO good.
#68 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 03:40 AM

DiD, nice pictures!!!

I want some now too!!!!!
#69 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

She's also coming to take pics of my birth.
#70 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
OMG you guys, the photographer put up the first two pics from my shoot already. You can see them here: http://blog.amycrawfordphotography.com/

She is SO good.
I love them! You look so wonderful! I love the lighting and you look great!

(Did you know the next post down on her blog is also a MDC family?)

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#71 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 PM

DID your pics are gorgeous, I love the maternity top on the first one.

Can't remember who was talking about curtain, but what my mom did for us kids was buy extra sheets that went with the rest of the bedding and turns them into curtains. Just some cutting and run it through sewing machine and you are done. Really easy.

I keep having dreams that my water breaks. It's starting to freak me out b/c I still don't have a m/w for my HB, and I really don't want to do a hospital birth and I am far too nervous about UCing.

I vow today to spend at least an hour finishing up all the last minute things to get ready for the birth.
#72 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesiLynne View Post
I could feel my cervix trying to dilate. Trust me, you will know the difference between "practice" and game time.
Tak, I'm wondering the same thing. For me, Braxton Hicks have been an all-over tightening that doesn't really feel like anything at all, and I usually don't notice unless I happen to touch my belly. But yesterday evening I was having, uh... like braxton hicks plus menstrual cramps (low) that were pretty uncomfortable and made me squirm. I tried to go to sleep and but it was keeping me awake. So my question is: are these some sort of new braxton hicks or are they little contractions? Does it matter? I'm 36.5 weeks but had a pretty active day yesterday. Should I be doing anything to avoid them?

nighten, Happy belated Birthday!

#73 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
Ugh. I tried to get a ton of shopping errands done and half the things I tried to buy I couldn't find. I'm so pooped! Where the heck can I find curtains for the nursery? I went to bed bath & beyond, target, babies r us and jc penny. Nothing! I found some online at babies r us but they are sold out. Hrmph!
I ended up getting a valance from Target online that was plaid, a cheap shade (plain white), and some cheap sheets (floral that were same colors as the valance) from an outlet place. I cut the sheets to fit and put doublesided sticky tape on the back of the shade, and just covered the shade with the sheets. Voila! Lovely window treatments. It was cheap and easy and no sewing skills needed.

---

DID, the pictures are gorgeous! Just lovely.

---

Ironed the crib skirt and put the puddle pad on and got the mobile up (while watching the Inauguration Concert on HBO -- it was wonderful!), and put the bassinet portion on the pack-n-play on the main floor. Am rewashing all the small diapers now.

So all I have left to do is install the carseat, get my husband to give me the clothes he wants me to pack for him, take the feather bed off our bed (we're cosleeping -- the crib is for naps), and clean up the house a little more.

I have my 36 week appointment and GBS test today.

---

dooney, I woke up the other night and realized I'd dreamed that you named your little boy Milo Alexander. No clue if you like Alexander, but you definitely used Milo.

I have no clue who Milo and Otis are, so that wouldn't affect my choice a bit.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#74 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 02:55 PM

Well after I posted I ended up finding what I want at walmart online - exactly the curtains I want and for cheap. Pink and white gingham. Yay!

Man I nested up a storm last night - cleaning and sorting the nursery and kitchen. It was like I couldn't sit still - even after going to a million stores. Aside from curtains and a couple pics on the wall, the nursery is all done! And then after all that I couldn't sleep all night. I was comfortable enough, just had insomnia. At least I'm not tired today. I already grocery shopped and bought all my drinks and popsicles for labor. I'm going to a nice spa in a couple hours to get a massage and spend a few hours relaxing!!

I got my maternity pics back too. I love some. I will have to sort through and put a couple up for you guys tonight - a lot of them are partially clothed so I don't want them all up. DID: Yours are beautiful! :-)

Cindy

#75 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 03:15 PM

I have my home visit with my mw today. I am 37 weeks on wednesday. I having back and hip pain today. Now I have to clean the house ugh!!! I better get moving.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#76 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
dooney, I woke up the other night and realized I'd dreamed that you named your little boy Milo Alexander. No clue if you like Alexander, but you definitely used Milo.

I have no clue who Milo and Otis are, so that wouldn't affect my choice a bit.
I actually thought about Alexander. Still not sure on a middle name though.

Here's the Milo and Otis everyone knows.
#77 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess View Post
I love them! You look so wonderful! I love the lighting and you look great!

(Did you know the next post down on her blog is also a MDC family?)
Well, considering she is an MDC member and a lot of her clientele comes from the MDC friends she's made on the Portland tribe, I don't doubt that there are a LOT of MDC families on her blog. The families around here love here. See why? She's really fabulous.
#78 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 05:36 PM

I'm with JustKate, I am starting to get what I believe are painful BH. They feel like moderately painful menstrual cramps and seem to focus down low. It's so hard to know what's going on though. They also seem to be associated with going to the bathroom. I don't know if the build up of pressure is making me go to the bathroom or if sitting in that position is making them start or what. I get several a day and they each last for a few minutes.

Yesterday evening my hips were really painful. Just shifting in my chair set them off, and I felt agony. A little while later, I felt an intense cramping type feeling in my breastbone area and my whole uterus felt tight and uncomfortable. I was really crabby and a little scared thinking of all the little things I have left to do to prepare for birth. After it all subsided, in about ten minutes or so of side lying and relaxing, I came out of the bedroom and my DH said, "Woah, you look different. I think the baby dropped." Huh, maybe I did. I do think I look some different and my belly feels a lot tighter and lower. Also, for the first time in weeks, I instinctively reached for a pillow last night to prop up my legs, and it ended up between my knees for most of the night.

It's reassuring to me that my body is doing something. Maybe, just maybe, I won't be going too far over due.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#79 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 06:17 PM

hey ladies!

i haven't read all the posts as i was busy yesterday and therefore i'm typing with one hand today!

tak & justkate & josieak - my bh's were always a tightening in my belly, but labour was more like menstrual cramps. i didn't even notice the tightening although you could feel it if you touched my belly. you probably don't have to worry unless they are rhythmic

did - your pics are beautiful!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#80 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM

I feel like we have been eating poorly these past few months and now that I am in the mood to cook I just keeping coming up with more things to put in my freezer for when baby comes. Right now we are in the middle of cooking a quadruple batch of whole wheat waffles to freeze so we can pull some out and throw them in the toaster when we want to. I also picked up some chicken today and we will make a double batch of home made chicken fingers for easy lunches. If I find the energy between now and babies birth I'll make up a bunch of whole wheat bread. I've been slacking on making our bread and it tastes so much better than store bought. I'd like to have my own rolls to go with all that chicken noodle soup.

Now if someone would just come and clean my whole house while I cook.

:
#81 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 PM

Wow, it's been a busy weekend (today being a holiday, my weekend extended through today). So much has been going on which makes it seem really long.

I had my first baby shower yesterday. It went really well! My sisters and cousins did a great job. We had all my favorite snacks. We got TONS of clothes. Some really cute outfits and plenty of onesies and sleepers (which we really need, so that was great). My sister gave me a bouncer. Not the one I registered for, but I decided to keep it instead of exchanging because it's really cute. We didn't end up getting the travel system. Apparently the one I registered for has been completely discontinued and they didn't want to get me something else in case I wouldn't like it. So, several people gave us money to get one we want. I went shopping with my mom and found one at Target that is really great! It's as similar to the one I wanted as I could find and once I got it home and put together I'm very pleased with it!

This is the one I ended up getting...
http://www.target.com/Eddie-Bauer-Ad...e=1&rh=&page=1

We have two more showers coming and there's very little I can think of we need at this point, so I'm pretty sure we'll be more than ready once those come!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#82 of 229 Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 PM

I am going to spend tomorrow breading chicken! It's such a huge and long process. It's time consuming and tiring . . . but so convenient to have healthy chicken nuggets in the freezer to pull out and use for quick meals.
I can't believe that Gillian had her baby already . . . and the rest will be coming soon! Oh, how I can't wait for my turn!
#83 of 229 Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 AM

Had my 36 week checkup and GBS test today (don't know results yet but hopefully it'll be negative since I've been taking probiotics and vit C religiously). I let my midwife check my cervix and I'm 2cm dilated, 50% effaced, "very very soft" and the baby's head was right there.

I'm relieved. She said she's certain i'll go much faster this time -- thank goodness, as it was nearly 22 hours of labor last time.

Ugh.

And it snowed today.

On the not so great news, I'm having lower back spasms often and wasn't able to go to the chiro's today.

And according to my midwife's scale I've gained 44 pounds. Holy cow. Oh well. Hopefully this babe will be bigger.

#84 of 229 Old 01-20-2009, 12:24 AM

Hey fellow mamas, I haven't read up at all, but I am just getting over a nasty gastro-intestinal virus. I am pretty dehydrated, but just now working on starting to get hydrated again. I came down with it last night and I was sick all of last night and all of today. Not. Fun.

Hey, on the plus side, I was about 4 pounds over my target weight, maybe this will have made me lose a pound or so.

I was so worried about poor baby during all of this, even though I know she will be fine-- and I did call my midwives to be sure, too-- and my sweet baby kept kicking away, like my little wiggle machine. It was strangely comforting having her there cuddled up to me in my womb all night and all day.

Oh, and DH was a sweetheart the whole time, too. He did a stellar job waiting on me and watching the boys too. And he is taking tomorrow off of work so he can make sure I am back to normal and the house gets cleaned up again.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#85 of 229 Old 01-20-2009, 01:09 AM

I don't know if anyone remembers but a while back I mentioned that my mw seemed sort of 'against' doulas. Today I think I found out why. I had my home visit and asked if my mw carried laughing gas because my doula had asked about it and I wasn't even aware they were allowed to carry it. Anyways the answer was no which is fine but then she went on to say "the important thing to remember is doulas are lay people and they often become doulas to deal with their own traumatic birth experiences. And they can bring a lot of unprocessed emotional baggage to births which often makes it difficult for them to actually stay detached and support the labouring woman." She qualified this by saying that this is only in her experience and often only with very new doulas (as mine is). She definitely wasn't discrediting my decision to have the doula. What do you ladies think of this?

All in all it was a strange visit. I got certain vibes that my mw was pro hospital when she seemed totally in support of a hb before. My dh said it's probably just because she is trying to get me to think of an alternative in case we have to transfer again so I won't be crushed if it happens. So I put some thought into this and I am packing a hospital bag and making a list in case of transfer stuff I'll need.

Baby is engaged and lying anterior on my left side. I have a severe vena cava syndrome. The baby's heartbeat drops significantly when I lie on my back at all. I cleaned in prep for the mw's visit and now I am very sore. I'm going to take a hot bath. I hope we have more babies arrive soon.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#86 of 229 Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 AM
tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
I don't know if anyone remembers but a while back I mentioned that my mw seemed sort of 'against' doulas. Today I think I found out why. I had my home visit and asked if my mw carried laughing gas because my doula had asked about it and I wasn't even aware they were allowed to carry it. Anyways the answer was no which is fine but then she went on to say "the important thing to remember is doulas are lay people and they often become doulas to deal with their own traumatic birth experiences. And they can bring a lot of unprocessed emotional baggage to births which often makes it difficult for them to actually stay detached and support the labouring woman." She qualified this by saying that this is only in her experience and often only with very new doulas (as mine is). She definitely wasn't discrediting my decision to have the doula. What do you ladies think of this?

All in all it was a strange visit. I got certain vibes that my mw was pro hospital when she seemed totally in support of a hb before. My dh said it's probably just because she is trying to get me to think of an alternative in case we have to transfer again so I won't be crushed if it happens. So I put some thought into this and I am packing a hospital bag and making a list in case of transfer stuff I'll need.

Baby is engaged and lying anterior on my left side. I have a severe vena cava syndrome. The baby's heartbeat drops significantly when I lie on my back at all. I cleaned in prep for the mw's visit and now I am very sore. I'm going to take a hot bath. I hope we have more babies arrive soon.
I have to say, her response would really put my nose out of joint. A doula is there to support you and dh. My doctor was totally in favour of us hiring a doula. I would have found another doctor if her reaction had been so hostile. I'm guessing she had a negative experience with a doula in the past, but it's not fair for her to be so negative with you as a result.
#87 of 229 Old 01-20-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak View Post
I have to say, her response would really put my nose out of joint. A doula is there to support you and dh. My doctor was totally in favour of us hiring a doula. I would have found another doctor if her reaction had been so hostile. I'm guessing she had a negative experience with a doula in the past, but it's not fair for her to be so negative with you as a result.
I hate to agree, but I agree.

At this point I'd ask your midwife pointblank if she's talking about the doula you've hired, or is making a generalization about doulas in general.

And her (your m/w's) statements also would make me wonder why she got into midwifery. If all doulas become doulas to heal their own birth trauma, then why did she become a midwife, eh? That's making some pretty outlandish assumptions on all birth professionals.

If you're wanting to stay with your midwife, I'd be very honest and have a bit of a chat with her about your concerns. It is very unprofessional of her to say such things to you, unless she's got valid concerns about the specific doula you're planning to use. And then she should be up front with you and not beat around the bush making generalizations.

#88 of 229 Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post
I am going to spend tomorrow breading chicken! It's such a huge and long process. It's time consuming and tiring . . . but so convenient to have healthy chicken nuggets in the freezer to pull out and use for quick meals.
Mmmmm... I love HM chicken nuggets! I mix parmesan cheese with my breading
#89 of 229 Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 PM

I've lost 6 pounds in the last couple days!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#90 of 229 Old 01-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Okay, starting to catch up now . . . as I have the inauguration special playing in the background . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
How many of us are 100% ready for baby? Carseats installed, bags packed, birth plan printed, food in the freezer, clothes washed and put away? Homebirthers, do you have your birth kit and your pool?
I'm only 36 and half weeks and I know I won't go early, so, no hurry here. I have all of the baby clothes ready, enough baby blankets, and for the homebirth I don't have my homebirth "supplies" ready yet but we woul be fine anyway-- I have towels and the bathtub and so forth. No biggie. No carseat yet, but I don't plan to take the bbay anywhere right away anyway. My in-laws (who live just down the street) have a baby carseat we could borrow in a pinch if we needed to anyway.

You know what we don't have yet, is any diapers. Lol. We're going to be using disposables because doing laundry here is the WORST and very expensive and inconvenient. So we need to pick some sposies up already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post
Best news of all . . . we finally decided on a name. I am so relieved and feel so much peace that we know her name.

Her name is: Rosalie Grace
Beautiful!!! I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoXane View Post
So my friend comes over last night and says "I'm planning your shower, how does Feb 1st work for you?" I said that'll be great! I'm so happy to be getting a baby shower! Yeah I'll be 38wks and ready to pop, but I know the baby will wait until after the shower to come (hopefully a few hours, lol)
Congrats! That sounds like fun!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
From old thread:

I would absolutely get one NOW. After the birth you'll be dealing with leaky boobs, potentially still bleeding, and you may not want to be away from baby long enough for the massage, and so on.

Go now. And enjoy it for me too please.

Today's my 40th bday.
I agree with Renee-- get the massage now, not after.

Happy (belated) Birthday Renee!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam&kat's_mom View Post
My dilemma is this.

Am I being silly by even having them each have a room`since it mainly stores toys and clothes? or shodl i just let teh boys combine rooms in hopes that DS2 will want to sleep there and not in our bed and my newborn cna have the same chance to co-sleep with us as the other 3 did? ...
I dunno, sometimes you have to feel it out. sorry I can't be of more help but there are so many variables. We are kind of in a similar boat where the two boys are used to transfering into our bed early in the morning every morning. This is NOT going to work once baby is here! They are currently in a tot bed with no room for dad to cuddle with them in their bed. So, we are getting them a twin bunk bed (but it's a special kind that isn't very high up, because DS2 is only 2-- so the bottom "bunk" is on the floor! ) And that way DH can go and cuddle with them in their room if they get lonely in the night or morning. The boys are 2 and 4 and they share a bedroom and that works well for us. This is new for them as of this fall, though, before that we all shared one sleeping room.

Okay, off to read more of the thread . . . whew!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page