Weekly chat thread January 31st-Feb 6th - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2009, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama-aya View Post
. . . . instead of the big rush take off and running as fast as you've been training for you're going to walk, you can start whenver you feel like it, and you have to hold your 2 year old's hand, so you won't even be able to WALK fast and you'll have to stop and watch ants and look for worms randomly along the way. The starting gun WILL go off, but nobody knows when, and you have to just walk along the race route until then. And of course, all of your fans are going to follow you, so that they're there when the gun goes off. . . .
I like it!!!!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 02:35 PM

Mamas, I have felt so awful and depressed lately, I haven't cared about anyone but my little family and wasn't even interested in all the birth stories or the chit chat. You all, on the other hand, reached out to help me when I was so down, and you can't possibly know how much that means to me. Now that I've got my head out of my butt, my house is relatively clean (thank you Mommy!), it's like Christmas, going back and finding out all I've missed. You all are so wonderful and strong, I love this DDC!

Today is the first day I peed without crying! What the doctor called a "skidmark," the midwife I followed up with called "a small shallow tear that probably should have been stitched." She showed me in a mirror, and I was like, "that tiny pink crescent is what makes me scream when I pee?" Even the gentle flow from the peri bottle stung so bad my hands shook and I had to hold myself back from running around the bathroom to get away. I discovered that if I squeeze my butt muscles while peeing, which I didn't even think was possible, It keeps that area mostly covered and stings only a minimum. Labor? I could do that again no problem. Once the baby's out, the pain goes away and that's something to look forward to. THIS, I'm convinced, is the worst part of having a baby, feeling like someone's putting out a cigarette in my vagina every time I go to the bathroom. On the other hand, DH wouldn't let me help with the cleaning yesterday, and I get twice-a-day baths where I get to just sit in the water and have "me time."
Old 02-05-2009, 02:46 PM

Glad to hear you are feeling better dooney.
Has anyone gone into labour undilated and uneffaced and had a natural birth. I need some success stories. I never made any progress beforehand with ds despite being 41wk 3d and only dilated to 2 cm before an emerg c-section. I'm not dilated or effaced this time either despite taking EPO for the last couple weeks and having sporadic sex. I'm contracting occasionally but the baby hasn't dropped and my son didn't either. I'm wondering if the lack of pressure on my cervix is preventing dilation. I know I'm overthinking it but it's still stressing me out.
There is a pregnancy store opening in my town next month. The owner wants to know what everyone would like to see in it. Any thoughts? All I can think of is baby stuff and we already have a halfway crunchy baby store.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 02-05-2009, 03:19 PM
k13

mama-aya that's exactly how I feel! Trying to relax and enjoy the scenery but it's hard when you're expecting that gun to go off

My mild contrax also petered out, which is fine because I'm still getting over a nasty cold and was thankful to get a good night's sleep last night.

dooney - I am so not looking forward to the post-partum body stuff... another reason to enjoy the discomforts of pregnancy I guess. Hang in there, mama.

Nillarilla - as far as I know it is totally normal for most dilation to occur during actual labor. Some lucky peoples start earlier, especially once you've already had kiddos. I had two natural labors at home without any prior dilation. They were both relatively "fast" so I'm curious to see if this one is faster for the head start. Then again, this one's going to be bigger... I suppose anything can happen
Old 02-05-2009, 03:23 PM

Dooney, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
Has anyone gone into labour undilated and uneffaced and had a natural birth. I need some success stories. I never made any progress beforehand with ds despite being 41wk 3d and only dilated to 2 cm before an emerg c-section. I'm not dilated or effaced this time either despite taking EPO for the last couple weeks and having sporadic sex. I'm contracting occasionally but the baby hasn't dropped and my son didn't either. I'm wondering if the lack of pressure on my cervix is preventing dilation. I know I'm overthinking it but it's still stressing me out.
Try to relax and trust your body. You don't have to "do" anything to make your cervix efface/dilate properly (well, beyond trying to ease baby into a good position, maintaining good posture, avoiding stress and getting enough rest, etc.-- basic stuff. )

Your body will do all of the dilating and effacing it needs to when it is ready. It may not do it until 42 weeks or so, that's still completely within the normal range. Give it time!

Quote:
There is a pregnancy store opening in my town next month. The owner wants to know what everyone would like to see in it. Any thoughts? All I can think of is baby stuff and we already have a halfway crunchy baby store.
Eeek, what a scary time to open a new store! I can think of a bazillion things I would carry in a pregnancy store, though-- nursing necklaces, birhting bracelets, prenatal workout DVDs including prenatal yoga, dance and bellydancing, aromatherapy and herbal products, pregnancy teas, good food-based prenatal supplements-- general prenatal multivitamins and supplements for mornign sickness, natural skin care products like belly oil, belly support belts/bands and postpartum support bands/girdles, a small selection of maternity clothing including tees with cute sayings on them, those belly bell necklaces, pregnancy journals for recording thoughts and milestones and so forth, hypnosis, affirmation and relaxation cds for pregnancy and birth, and lots of GOOD holistic/natural books about pregnancy, childbirth, attachment parenting, and raising babies naturall/holisticly. Oh, also breastpumps and abreastfeeding support products and all of that paraphenalia.

If he branched into some newborn baby stuff, which would be a natural progression, that includes SO many more products, too-- diapers, slings, baby skin care products, etc etc etc . . .

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 02-05-2009, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I had my appt. Not much new according to the exam. I'm 2 cm and my cervix hasn't thinned. The doc said the baby does feel like he's come down a bit though.

At first I felt like crying. Then, after thinking about it, I realized that what the doctor can feel really means nothing at all. I have been feeling different today and I really think it's getting much closer. I feel like I have made progress, despite what the exam showed.
The baby has turned to birth position and has dropped quite a bit. Plus, I had to pee 5 times in an hour (which confirms to me that he has dropped a lot).

My theory is that the measly 1/2 cm I have dilated since last week probably happened today.

I feel pretty positive right now, which I haven't felt in a long time. If he doesn't come tonight, I know it will be soon

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
Old 02-05-2009, 05:21 PM

My 38w3d appointment went so quick. Baby passed his NST. Still having contractions. My weight is up 2lbs this week (heaviest I've ever been!). My bp was elevated at 135/84. My pre-eclampsia lab work came back normal. I'm 2cm dialated and favorable!

So we scheduled on induction for Tuesday. She said she'll break my water first, then try pitocin if that doesn't get labor going. Since I'm a VBAC I have to have internal monitoring, which SUCKS!! But I'm still hopeful I can go without any pain meds. Also I'm thrilled that MY OB will be on call and that I won't have to deal with the other OBs that I don't like.

OMG five more days until my baby gets here, unless he decides to come sooner...
Old 02-05-2009, 05:21 PM

Warning: whining ahead.

My tummy hurts. It's been feeling upset all day since last night. Blah. And I am having some contractions today that hurt-- had a couple I couldn't sit down through. This is really annoying. I just want to go to bed and curl up with a heat pack but I have too many things to do.

/vent

Thanks for listening.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoXane View Post
OMG five more days until my baby gets here, unless he decides to come sooner...
Eeek how exciting!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooney View Post
Mamas, I have felt so awful and depressed lately, I haven't cared about anyone but my little family and wasn't even interested in all the birth stories or the chit chat. You all, on the other hand, reached out to help me when I was so down, and you can't possibly know how much that means to me. Now that I've got my head out of my butt, my house is relatively clean (thank you Mommy!), it's like Christmas, going back and finding out all I've missed. You all are so wonderful and strong, I love this DDC!

Today is the first day I peed without crying! What the doctor called a "skidmark," the midwife I followed up with called "a small shallow tear that probably should have been stitched." She showed me in a mirror, and I was like, "that tiny pink crescent is what makes me scream when I pee?" Even the gentle flow from the peri bottle stung so bad my hands shook and I had to hold myself back from running around the bathroom to get away. I discovered that if I squeeze my butt muscles while peeing, which I didn't even think was possible, It keeps that area mostly covered and stings only a minimum. Labor? I could do that again no problem. Once the baby's out, the pain goes away and that's something to look forward to. THIS, I'm convinced, is the worst part of having a baby, feeling like someone's putting out a cigarette in my vagina every time I go to the bathroom. On the other hand, DH wouldn't let me help with the cleaning yesterday, and I get twice-a-day baths where I get to just sit in the water and have "me time."

I'm so overly emotional today I feel like picking you up and rocking you. You poor poor thing. I pray things get better, at least you know what is wrong with your vagina. I pray it heals soon.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:39 PM

Yesterday my husband stopped by the post office and we received: more Super Mom Vitamins (yay!), a massage tool from Amazon (yay!), a baby laundry basket from Amazon (yay!), and two free canisters of Similac formula (boo!)--one soy, one regular. I couldn't believe the gall. They even have a nice little pamphlet telling me about breastfeeding (yeah right). And IF I had to suppliment breastmilk the LAST thing I would do would be to use some free stuff that showed up in our mailbox. I'd be researching like crazy, making my own (recipe at Weston A. Price Foundation), etc. first. But anyway. Now I don't know what to do with it. I could donate it somewhere, but even THAT much promotion of formula feeding makes me feel icky.

Still hanging in here. Today is my due date according to LMP. A lot of people see my due date as a long way off yet (it took me a long time to get "big"). I wish now that I hadn't been so quick and happy to correct them. I get so many comments at church. If people don't see me, they assume I'm having the baby, if they do see me they are full of "helpful" comments. True friends my own age give the greatest response, big hugs and an "I'm with you" smile. To all the "grandmas" who are full of well meant advice and comments, I just try to say, "I'm trusting that the baby will come when it's ready!" And really, I am. Although I have thought for months how this or that birthday would be a good day (today is my six-month birthday), I just want this baby to be born ready for this world.

Oh, and shopping the other day with my mom, I had two people unsolicited tell me what they thought the gender was. One was the lady (a former LLL consultant) who handles our coop. She said that she thought I could drop further and I responded with, "Not according to my midwife! The head is so far down there already!" So she said that I must be having a boy to have carried it so high. Then we went to the store where an Asian lady asked to see my neck and told me that because it wasn't dark (I'm extremely fair complected) I must be having a girl! She said, "Bring that baby in to see me and tell me I'm right!" I thought it was funny. I've avoided ANY commments from people for so long, so now that I'm obviously pregnant, I'm kind of enjoying them. I guess we'll see whose right pretty soon! My mom's rooting for the Asian lady.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

Old 02-05-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear you are feeling better dooney.
Peri Bottles
Old 02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
tak

Dooney, I'm sorry you're feeling so sore. I've known quite a few women who said labour was a cakewalk compared to the recovery from childbirth. Do you have a stock of icepacks in the freezer to put on the nether regions? My SIL said that helped a lot.

I'm still here and still zen. This week has been so much nicer than last week -- I have BH contractions at night and a little bit of cramping when I walk, but none of the "is this it or isn't it?" false labour that was making my sleep so poor last week. Shrimp is pretty cozy in there and still moving a lot.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:57 PM

WARNING: MY DAY STINKS SO FAR, EMOTIONS AHEAD! Also puke is mentioned.

I woke up at 1:50 am to the youngest of the kids, throwing up. I can barely deal with puke when I am not pg, pg I am useless. That GOD for dh and dd1. They got Leiah cleaned up and dh helped her throw up some more. Then she proceeded to puke about every 15 minutes for the next 3 hours. Finally there was nothing left so I had her drink some water to avoid dry heaving. She was really brave throwing up, but dry heaving scared her. She fell asleep at about 4 :30 , I on the other hand couldn't sleep, every noise she made I started at, thinking she was going to throw up some more. I finally fell asleep around 6 am, just as everyone is getting up. :
I gave her some Vit. C on an empty stomach and she acted totally fine, ate some oatmeal, and then took a nap, but come 1 pm, she had fever of 102.8
I gave her some GSE in apple juice and 15 minutes later she threw up all over me
Between 11 am and 1 pm I fell asleep on the couch and woke up to my bedroom trashed, the towels for my labor all over the floor, etc........
Earlier ds3 had drank some of my lavender oil ( not much ) so I threw some charcoal down his throat. He'd didn't mind too much.
Emotionally I am very worn out. DH won't be home for another 2 hours, I am beat, I have no idea whats for dinner, and to top it all off, DH's fav. great aunt died last week and tonight is the funeral . I wanted to go but at this rate I do not think I am going to be able to.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
JesiLynne: s

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
Old 02-05-2009, 07:49 PM

JesiLynne Bless your heart.

dooney, I'm so glad things are better.

NillaRilla, do you have a birth ball? try sitting on it, constantly. And I'd start using the EPO vaginally if I were you, if you're not already.

Have been having more contractions, but no clue if it means anything yet.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 02-05-2009, 07:58 PM

Coen is so much more alert today! I'm loving those beautiful eyes!

Maybe this means he will sleep tonight instead of perking up as I am ready to drop...
Old 02-05-2009, 08:13 PM

JesiLynne, I'm sorry! I hope your little one feels better soon.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:23 PM

JesiLynne, I'm so sorry you had to deal with that! My heart also goes out to your poor daughter-- I just had that sickness and it is awful.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post
Yesterday my husband stopped by the post office and we received: more Super Mom Vitamins (yay!), a massage tool from Amazon (yay!), a baby laundry basket from Amazon (yay!), and two free canisters of Similac formula (boo!)--one soy, one regular. I couldn't believe the gall. They even have a nice little pamphlet telling me about breastfeeding (yeah right). And IF I had to suppliment breastmilk the LAST thing I would do would be to use some free stuff that showed up in our mailbox. I'd be researching like crazy, making my own (recipe at Weston A. Price Foundation), etc. first. But anyway. Now I don't know what to do with it. I could donate it somewhere, but even THAT much promotion of formula feeding makes me feel icky.
I have always written return to sender on any formula or coupons and put them back in the mail...I want it to send a message to the formula companies.

It is 70 degrees here today! Holy nice outside! We have been out almost all day....so wonderful!

ETA: Huge fan of the Weston Price Foundation here to!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 02-05-2009, 08:57 PM

I donated all the formula to a women's shelter last time. I haven't gotten any this time.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaha View Post
I donated all the formula to a women's shelter last time. I haven't gotten any this time.
:

I dropped mine off at the ped's office.

FYI, Motherhood Maternity sells their customer list to the Similac people. That's the main place Similac gets info from. So if you didn't buy maternity clothes from MM this time around, that's probably why you didn't get the formula.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 02-05-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
:

I dropped mine off at the ped's office.

FYI, Motherhood Maternity sells their customer list to the Similac people. That's the main place Similac gets info from. So if you didn't buy maternity clothes from MM this time around, that's probably why you didn't get the formula.
or if you just tell them you don't want them to have your info...
Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 PM

I feel different somehow today and I have a major backache. I wonder if things could be moving along.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 02-05-2009, 11:15 PM

37 weeks, 1 day today. Had an appt with the midwife and all is well. GBS was negative, yay! I gained 4 lbs since last week! I'm blaming it on the fact that I usually have my appointments in the morning and today I had it in the afternoon right after eating lunch... Sounds like a good excuse to me. She's guessing the baby's weight in the upper 6 lb range right now... but that's just a guess. I didn't have her check me but I don't feel like I've made any progress since last week, so I'm pretty sure not much has changed. I may get curious next week, tho.

I asked what the procedure is for when I go into labor, because I've never done this before and really don't know what I'm supposed to do. She said I can call and tell her if I want to, but since I'm doing as much at home as possible, I don't have to call until I'm ready to head to the hospital. If my water breaks I have instructions not to tell her. It's a requirement in this group apparently to have you come in as soon as your water breaks, so she said if I'm wanting to stay home just don't tell her... but she'd like to see me if I haven't started with active labor around 8 hours after my water breaking. Oh and apparently she's going out of town the 13-17. I had no idea of that until today. So, hopefully no Valentine's baby!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 PM

Don't you love these adds posted on the forum? The one I'm seeing right now is for "my daily moment" and asks "Are you ready for a baby? Take the quiz and find out." I don't think I need a quiz!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

Old 02-06-2009, 01:15 AM

Mal Congrats on the neg.

I think I might be starting to loose my mucus plug, which is new for me. I never lost it until after my water had broke. Who knows ?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:42 AM

Wow, this is a very long and busy thread! Can I join in?

I was due 1/28 (by O) (or 1/30 by LMP)...and am still here. I alternate being going completely stir crazy and irritable, to calm and at peace with him arriving whenever he chooses. Tomorrow I'm going on a big grocery shopping trip and I'm hoping all the walking around will help to move things along. Either that or my water will break in the middle of the aisle.

I'm going to start pumping this weekend if nothing happens by Saturday. I'm mostly really tired, very irritable, and sore. I have a lot of irrational fears that may be keeping my labor from coming on. I'm not sure.

Good luck to everyone else waiting!!!!

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
Old 02-06-2009, 04:31 AM

I'm having such a hard time! This breast feeding thing is killing me. The midwife came and weighed baby today and told me she weighed 4lbs 4 ounces and that she had lost 1lb and 3 ounces in 3 days!!! Turns out their scale was wrong - I can't believe they'd be so irresponsible as to tell me that!! But she is the same weight as monday which is 5 oz below birth weight. I think my supply might be low from my implants. So I am feeding non stop and now I have to pump every time I feed. I feel like I can't even get up off the couch to pee. The second I move baby after feeding she wants to eat more. I can't stop crying - I am so tired and I really feel like this isn't working and baby isn't pooping much or gaining weight and I am afraid for her. I want to breast feed but I also want her to be healthy. And I feel like life would be so much easier if I could just give her a bottle. This feeding thing is making things sooo much harder than I ever imagined.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 02-06-2009, 10:04 AM

To Vegan Princess:

If you're determined to keep breastfeeding (and that's awesome! ), I would try something like this, supplementing with pumped milk or formula as you're nursing: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/abs.shtml Definitely keep weighing the baby since the implants may be an issue, and try to slowly wean her off the supplementing over time.

Hugs to you -- how stressful!

User Tag List