Postpartum issue thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 02-19-2009, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
I wish I could say that the baby was doing as well... It appears he is reacting to something in my milk. He has an allergy ring bum rash that is angry red and bleeding We EC with cloth diapers as backup and no amount of changing him immediately or leaving him open to air is helping, nor are any of the three creams I've tried. I'm eliminating dairy and gluten from my diet (two high candidates based on family history) and hoping to see an improvement soon. He is also showing signs of reflux, which might also be the allergy thing as well I'm not sure.

To top it all off he's sick He caught his Daddy's cold despite breastfeeding and yesterday/last night was having a brutal time trying to breathe. I was up most of the night making sure that he started breathing again when he would stop (because it was hard to get the air moving) and it was very frightening. He seems better today and I'm hoping tonight goes much better.

I'm sad that he's hurting/having a hard time.
So sorry that your little one is sick and your dealing with diaper rash. I hope that all of it clears up soon.

I'm doing pretty well and getting out and about more although still taking it pretty easy. Fiona is 18 days old today! I'm really want to get out for a nice walk but everything is a total ice rink around here. I'm still bleeding which is annoying. Not heavy but its still there. I need to order nursing bras today.

We won't have another Dr's appt until Fiona is 2 months old. I'm a little amazed that we are trusted to keep her happy and healthy until then! lol Really though we are doing well. I finally decided to stop worrying about what time I fed her last and how many diapers she's had. She's nursing well and pooping and peeing up a storm so we must be doing something right!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#62 of 85 Old 02-19-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooney View Post
Coen is doing well. I feel kind of like a rebel bc I don't keep track of his feedings, which side, how long, etc. or keep count of how many poops/pees and they ask stuff like that at his checkup, but I KNOW he's doing well. He eats when he asks for it on whichever side feels like it needs to be emptied, poops "often" and is doing great. I don't feel like I need to document every diaper change. I'm just enjoying having him around!
Same here - we did for the first week and a half when we were tube feeding and dealing with jaundice, but after that I stopped and it's so much nicer!

My stitches pain is a lot better today. I've been on the verge of tears about it which is silly because it doesn't hurt *that* bad. I think I'm just tired and it seems like such a set back in healing. Plus it's just a reminder of some negative things with the birth. Ugh, I want to feel normal again.

On a positive note I've lost all my pregnancy weight I only gained 25lbs and I'd lost about 20lbs by one week pp. I definitely need to firm up again though. I can't wait until the weather is nicer and Royce and I can get outside.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#63 of 85 Old 02-20-2009, 08:02 PM

I haven't had a chance to catch up on this thread yet but I think me and Sam are finally getting this breastfeeding thing! I ended up cracking my own nipples with the pump I had in my mother/baby room. I had no idea that flanges came in different sizes!! Then Sam lost more than 10% of his weight by the 3rd day and they wanted me to supplement w/formula in a bottle which I didn't want to do initially but I was so freaked about him losing weight and having jaundice and feeling like a horrible mother that I couldn't even get my breasts to produce milk for him. And I didn't have a breast pump but luckily there was one rental left and the nurse had the larger flanges available.

so I went home and cried as I pumped while DH fed Sam. My milk finally came in by the 4th day but it was still a challenge to get Sam to nurse at my breast. And he has an incredibly strong bite, feels like teeth!!

The good news is that I now have milk, it's just slow to come out so I need to start pumping before feeding him. I"m working on manually expressing my milk but am having trouble with the left side. We had a better lactation consultant today and she suggested to limit his time at the breast to 10-15min each side, since Sam is content to stay an hour on each side which was making me have sore/raw nips and dreading feeding him.

Physically, I am doing fine. Emotionally, I am still a wreck, over how my labor/delivery went, the hospital stay and this whole first week. But trying to focus on the positives!
#64 of 85 Old 02-21-2009, 12:16 AM

kssinca- I'm so sorry you've been having such a hard time with breastfeeding- that on top of the difficult first week and delivery and everything is hard. But it sounds like you're keeping a healthy perspective and moving through it all. That's good!

I think I have an infection- I've had more bleeding the last couple of days, and it felt kind of tight last night when I went to the bathroom, but now it HURTS, like burning, but not like a bladder infection. It's definitely vaginal. I've never had anything like it- it's not itchy like a yeast infection. I haven't noticed any yucky smell or anything particularly different looking about the discharge- it just looks like bright red blood with some dark clots and some thin yellowy discharge- nothing different than the usual pp stuff, except the burning and pain. I have a pp appointment on Wednesday, but I'm starting to wonder if I can make it that long. Hopefully it won't get worse. Any suggestions?
#65 of 85 Old 02-21-2009, 03:56 PM

kssinca-- That's so hard. Good for you for trying to keep a positive outlook!!!

Eliza is only a day old but very gassy so far, and just wants to nurse all the time. We finally started giving her a pacifier some so I could get some sleep and that has helped A LOT.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#66 of 85 Old 02-21-2009, 06:52 PM

My recovery from the c-section is going well. The staples came out today and that has helped with the burning and rubbing pain on my incision. I'm still sore muscularly and getting in and out of bed is a little rough. I've also been having leg cramps. Don't know why. My skin is all dried out now. I had beautiful pregnancy skin and now it is gone. I only get the afterpains when I am nursing and those are pretty toe curling. I am taking traumeel for recovery and ibuprofen for the pain. It's going to be pretty hard to not vacuum for 6 weeks though. The house is dog hairy and it is driving me crazy. I don't want to nag dh to do it. He is already doing so much and looks exhausted and it is his birthday tommorow. I can't even go out to get him anything as I am not physically ready yet.
Emotionally I am still a little raw from the disappointment of not having the homebirth and having another c-section. I am trying to deal with the fact that my body does not seem to be able to birth naturally. I feel cheated out of the empowerment of giving birth naturally. We want more kids but I don't know if I can go through this again. I hate the whole hospital experience more than the surgery itself.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#67 of 85 Old 02-21-2009, 06:55 PM

mama-aya, can you call and get seen on Monday?

Lion, what kind of pacifer do you use? My baby is gassy too! hehehe, sometimes there's a little something more than gas though...

Gillian28, wow! You lost your pregnancy weight already???? That's great!! I weighed myself on the 3rd day and only lost 5lbs.

This weekend DH and I are going to figure out how to use the moby and sling. Sam just loves to be close to one of us, which we enjoy, but it would be nice to be able to have both hands free every now and then!

Limiting his time at the breast and then giving Sam some expressed breast milk if he is still hungry is helping. My nips are calming down, we're not "fighting" when it's time to nurse and he is sleeping now. I noticed he is hungrier at his 3am and lunchtime feedings. Not a lot... just wants some "dessert" I guess! Every time we nurse, I tell him how much I appreciate him opening his mouth wide, gently taking the breast and to take his mouth off when he feels sleepy - he can have more milk when he wakes up. I think it's working.
#68 of 85 Old 02-21-2009, 10:34 PM

kssinca, we are using the Nuk newborn paci. I'm so grateful it works.

Nillarilla, I'm so sorry that you lost your homebirth and had to have the hospital stay.

I've only lost a few pounds, so far, too!! But I am using the Belly Bandit to bind my tummy and my tummy is bouncing back amazingly fast already! The first night of course it didn't fit, so I wore my maternity belt extra tight instead. The next morning I got the Belly Bandit to fit *just barely*! Second morning it fits more easily than it did before. Yay! It feels so good, too, it really holds everything together and is so supportive.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#69 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

I feel like I fared pretty well with weight loss and body wise. I think I gained 27 lbs and so far have lost all but 6. I can get into my normal pants, they are just a bit tight. But I feel so sedentary right now being home with baby and mainly sitting all day. I'm afraid I'm going to get fat now! I've made it out for a couple walks but Makenna is still under 7 lbs and it's been cold...we had a couple nice days. Today I used my exercise ball that I bought for labor to do some squats and crunches. I guess I will just try and get a couple body parts worked out each day for now. I can't wait until I can go back to bikram yoga.

Anyone else having issues with their cat not staying away from baby? I have 2 siamese. 1 sniffs her and walks away but the other constantly wants to get in her bed and curl up with her or curl up in her bed when she's not in it. She loves kids and always plays with little ones that come over the whole time they are here. I'm guessing she just wants to be around the baby. I had to buy a squirt bottle to use on her. I feel so bad...she looks so sad when I squirt her.

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#70 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 01:54 AM

I can sympathize with all those having nursing troubles. This is my 3rd and I've struggled with each one, and it looks like we are headed for another challenging bfing relationship.

Sadie is 4 days old. At her MW appt yesterday, she was down 13 oz (9+%). My last baby lost even more, so this is an improvement, but it still isn't good. She's got jaundice and is very sleepy, and hasn't pooped in 2 days. I've run into all these problems before, and we did make it through, but I just HATE going through this. I hate worrying if she's getting enough to eat. My nipples are already sore because I have super-sensitive skin. Nursing 24-7 is tough with blisters and Reynaud's Syndrome acting up again. What I wouldn't give for ample milk...

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
#71 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 02:53 AM

well girls i have been pumping since v-day exclusively due to sore sore nipple s and bad latch for sure on left side. he has been very very gassy and grunts all nite. up all nite unless sleeping on a person. so it has been hectic. but then tonite i tried latching him on right side and nursed and unlatched all by himself i have trouble with the latch on the left side plus when i nursed him on right side my breast was barely full as i had pumped like 2-3 hrs before and drained them. i am getting a ton of milk from pumping and have freezer overflowing. so i am gonna try him on left side next feeding. and if deosnt work them i will try again on taht side tommorow. Say some prayers mamas.
i dont understand y he is so gassy and grunting all nite. o and he had his first Shower today. hubby took him in shower with him as his first "bath" since cord falling off and he loved it.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#72 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 11:25 AM

I'm so jealous of those who have lost the weight already. I'm down 17, but still have 15 to go. My belly is almost gone, but I'm flabby all over. My bleeding is just starting to taper off, so I'm hoping to start exercising slowly sometime this week. Anyone who has good at home exercises they want to share, I'd love to hear them. We've taken a few walks, but its still very snowy and cold here to do much outside.

On the other hand, I am thrilled to not be pregnant. Does that make me horrible? I feel soooo good. I can do stairs, get up out of the couch, chase the boys and pick up things off the floor. It feels so good to not be wincing at every little pain - I feel like myself again after 6 months. I didn't realize how much it had been bothering me!
#73 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 12:02 PM

I don't think it's horrible. I too am thrilled to not be pregnant anymore. I can walk normally, go up and down stairs without feeling winded, eat normal meals, turn over in bed without pain and not need to use the bathroom every 15 minutes.

I'm thinking a belly wrap would be great here too but I can't spend the money.

:
#74 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 12:16 PM

I LOOOOVVVE sleeping on my belly!!!! I am really happy to not be pregnant anymore! Yayyy!

Jenivere, you can bind your belly with a long piece of cloth or a ring sling but it's a bit harder and looks bulky under clothing. Feels nice at home, though. Also if you or someone you know has a maternity belt that might work well, too.

Cindy, why can't the cat sleep near the baby? I think cats are very healthful in that when they are feeling nurturing (like your cat seems to be) they naturally regulate and purify energy. Many cats love giving their nurturing energy to babies, both in the belly and out. So I would love it if we had a cat that wanted to curl up with my baby. The old wives' tale about cats smothering or suffocating babies is completely false, btw. No danger of that. I guess the only issue I can think of would be if baby has allergies to the cat or a respiratory issue of some kind.

kayleesmom, I'll say a prayer for you.

#75 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 01:05 PM

My hands are still an issue, and it's about to drive me crazy! I have to lay flat on my back at night with my hands propped up, so that they won't hurt. So, I still can't lay on my side or my belly even though I am not pregnant anymore. I still have some swelling that hasn't gone completely down. I am so hoping and praying that the numbness will go away once all the swelling has gone, but I am beginning to have some doubts. I about had a breakdown this morning when I couldn't button my 2nd son's shirt when I was helping him get ready for church. I just couldn't get the small buttons in the holes with my numb and clumbsy hands. So, I just tucked it in and told him we'd work on it later. When I went back to check on him he was crying over it, and I felt like a complete jerk. So, I started crying with him telling him it wasn't his fault, that it was my fault that I wasn't able to button his buttons. And I hugged him tight. I am so hormonal and weepy. My poor children will be so lucky to survive me at this point! I am always this way after I have a baby, and I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel . . . and Thank God, I am not having post partum depression like I did with my 2nd son, but it's still hard dealing with the mood swings that come along with being post partum.

My sweet baby girl is wonderful. I've never had such an easy newborn. She sleeps well both day and night, and is very calm and sweet. My boys were much harder! I am so thankful that in the midst of getting used to having four children that my newborn is so easy! What a blessing!
#76 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 01:55 PM

Ooowie, My boobs are so swollen and my nipples are cracked and bleeding ugh!!!

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#77 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hugs to all you mommas having trouble with breast feeding. I am still mostly pumping and only nursing a couple times/day. I only get about an ounce each time I pump so Makenna is getting about 1/4-1/3 of her milk from me and the rest is formula. I am still nursing a couple times/day but mostly for the bonding. We had a nice time snuggling in bed this morning while nursing on my side...but then she drank a 3 oz bottle after nursing for an hour. The good news is that mostly pumping has allowed my nipples to be a bit less sore. Only now the area around the nipple is beat up from pumping. KSSINCA - thanks for mentioning different size flanges for the pump. I think I need a bigger size. Hopefully I'll get some today. This will be the 6th time I or my husband has been into the nursing supply store in 3 weeks! Mostly it has been my husband and they are getting to know him well. LOL.

Anyone have any tips on being able to put baby down? We set up the swing yesterday and that is a huge help. I am trying to work on her being content to be set down while awake but some times she just wants to be held for hours on end. I feel like this a rookie mom trap? I know you mommas with 3 other kids must know better ways to handle this or you'd never get anything done. Also I keep trying to moby wrap but I'm not sure which way to put her in..hug hold or normal? I've tried both. She'll last for a while then cry...so maybe she just needs to keep getting used to it?

I'm getting out for a haircut this afternoon down the street. I'm looking forward to it. That is one upside of my baby taking bottles. I can leave her with DH for a little bit.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#78 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I LOOOOVVVE sleeping on my belly!!!! I am really happy to not be pregnant anymore! Yayyy!
I'm also loving sleeping on my belly! But I cried the other day about not being pregnant . I know it sounds irrational but I think it must be an infertility thing. I wanted to be pregnant for sooo long and I loved every minute of it and now I know I may never experience it again and it makes me sad. My midwife said IVF patients are more likely to suffer postpartum depression so I'm keeping an eye on it!

Weight wise I am just over the moon. I gained 4 lbs my whole pregnancy and as of yesterday I'm down 32lbs. so, 26 lbs lower than pre-pregnancy! greatest diet ever! Of course I'm still flabby and my butt is indelibly bigger! Also, I had a lot of extra weight from the fertility drugs but I have a huge head start back to pre-fertility weight.
#79 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 06:24 PM

kssinca - I'm not sure if you ended up supplementing or if you still are, but we had to supplement with formula in the first 10 days b/c of weight loss and jaundice. We used finger feeding with a tube and syringe instead of a bottle, maybe that's an option for you?

mama-aya - no suggestions but I hope you are feeling better

Nillarilla - I'm sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted, I hope you are feeling okay.

Vegan Princess - I don't have issues with my cats and the baby, but they are missing me. They are always trying to get near me and when I do have a minute to hold one of them they purr so loudly and dig their nails into me. I feel so bad about that
Oh, and for putting the baby down - I can't either! I can rarely even put him down while he's sleeping. I'm thinking of buying a swing as I think he may enjoy that. We are getting better with our carriers though - I have found that the moby wrap (can't remember the name) where he's facing me with his legs out works the best, but he's bigger than your lo so I'm not sure if that would work for you. The newborn holds he never liked, he was always so squished up.

As for me, I wish I was still pregnant - I slept so much better! I still haven't been able to successful transfer Royce to the crib (which is sidecarred to the bed). He needs to be right next to me which is affecting my sleep. We decided today to purchase some soothers with the hopes that it will help at night and maybe even allow him to be comfortable a few feet away from me instead of right next to me.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#80 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 06:48 PM

Fiona is 3 weeks old today!I'm not sure how that happened so fast! Bfeeding is going well. She wants to eat every 2-3 hours ussually and will nurse for anywhere from 10-25 minutes at a time. As a new mom I wasn't sure if that was long enough but she is gaining weight so I need to trust that she'll eat when hungary and stop when needed.

I'm still bleeding and find that to be really annoying. Is it normal to still have lochia at 3 weeks? It's not heavy but its still there. Love to be through with that.

I still feel like I have a lot of weight to lose. About 15 to get to pre-pregnancy and 30 to get to pre-fertility drugs. AAgh... it does not feel good to still be wearing maternity pants.

Fiona and i went to a tea party celebrating the arrival of a friends baby. Tons of kids and lots of activity. She slept the entire time and was passed around to lots of friends. I was surprised that she didn't wake up to nurse as she had been sleeping when we left the house and we were there for about 2 hours. I think she figured with so much chaos it was better to just sleep! She was a bit more fussy then usual last night and maybe that is why.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#81 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
Ooowie, My boobs are so swollen and my nipples are cracked and bleeding ugh!!!
ME. TOO!!! Actually they are slowly getting better now. But still. Shudder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
Anyone have any tips on being able to put baby down? We set up the swing yesterday and that is a huge help. I am trying to work on her being content to be set down while awake but some times she just wants to be held for hours on end. I feel like this a rookie mom trap?
Have you read "Happiest Baby on The Block" by Harvey Karp, MD? I highly recommend it. You DO want to hold your newborn a lot, and not put her down too much. This is just a stage-- lasts about three months-- and it's important that you meet her newborn needs during these months so she can securely move on to the slightly older-baby stage. The first three months of a baby's life is like the "fourth trimester" because a baby still needs a very womb-like existence in order to thrive physically and neurologically, and to feel emotionally secure. The way to mimic the womb environment is to keep them bundled up tightly (swaddling) hold them a lot, (babies are used to constant movement in the womb so laying still tends to wake them up), and when you can't hold them, it is best to have them in a moving and slightly upright position-- like a swing or one of those bouncy seats or baby papasans that vibrates. When you do lay her down on a flat surface like a bassinet, make sure she is tightly and securely swaddled with her arms bound down. She is more likely to sleep better lying down when she is bundled up snugly like this. Responding to their hunger needs immediately and on demand is important, too, but that's more obvious, I guess. Another important point is not stimulating them too much, just keeping everything as low-key as possible. He has more good tips in the book.

By about three months your baby will be more like an infant and less like a fetus (), and then you should be able to lay her down to sleep in a bassinet and so forth (although every baby is different! One of mine could lay down to sleep and the other one never would! But he has always been a "high-needs" child and he turned out to have Asperger's so that might be why-- anyway--) She'll be more interested in playing and interacting by three months, too. But don't worry about holding her too much or "building good sleep habits" or whatever at this point, really. You can help her develop good sleep habits by just allowing her to be a newborn for now.

#82 of 85 Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 PM

Hey, anyone want to join me on the "Mummy Tummy" thread in he fitness forum? To join in, you will benefit most from having something to bind up your belly for support, and it would be easiest if you have the Mummy Tummy book (although you can borrow it from the library) or DVD to follow along with. There is a lot of info in the thread, but it's not the same as reading the book, of course. Thread here.

I am so excited to get my core strength back! I've actually never had good core strength since I was a teenager, because as a teenager I was Tae Kwon Do and I did way too many sit-ups and crunches, not understanding that too many sit-ups/crunches will create a weak abdomen (can even cause a diastisis!) unless you also equally strengthen the transverse abdominus muscels too (which almost no one knows to do). Anyway-- so it's been a while since I've had a good strong tummy-- I was working on it after I had DS2 but I hadn't quite reached my goal yet, so I am excited to get back on it. : I love being physically fit!

#83 of 85 Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 PM

Can someone explain to me how my body "knows" so much???

I had gone just over 24 hours w/o bleeding, so I decided to strap on my 3lb ankle weights last evening. We were just straightening up the house, doing baths and laundry. I figured the little extra weight while doing the stairs several times might be an easy way to easy back into the exercise thing. I was never out of breath, never broke a sweat, hardly noticed they were on. Yet sure enough I started bleeding again before bed! I can understand lifting, or crunches, but this? How does it know? What do you think, too much or just coincidence? I'm feeling so good and sooo ready to moving again!
#84 of 85 Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

I noticed redder blood today after just vacuuming and straightening up the house and bathing Makenna (a wee bit stressful). I didn't feel like I taxxed myself though either.

I made it out on my first car trip alone w/Makenna to go to a store and restaurant for take out just now. It went great. I managed the stroller ok and she never cried. Hooray! Now that the first time is over with I don't feel so stuck in the house! :

Cindy

#85 of 85 Old 02-24-2009, 02:14 AM

I was on my feet quite a bit Saturday morning (8 days pp) because my husband wasn't home. Up to that point my bleeding was turning more brown and slowing down. But after that and a bath I noticed it got redder again and slightly heavier. I don't feel like I did to much but obviously it was enough.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page