Really Bad Mood Swings! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! How do I stop these?

My moods have been on and off this whole pregnancy (no big surprise), but this is really an extreme shift for me.

For the past couple of days I've felt this urge to tear into everyone and everything. At night I am very restless. During the day, I can't seem to stop sleeping.

Yesterday and the day before I totally ripped into my poor DH. All he was doing was just trying to help and make sure I didn't "overdo" it, and I tore into him like a Thanksgiving turkey. I felt horrible about it today, but at the same time I have this incredible resentment and the temptation to tell him off again when he comes home tonight for continually nagging (note: he's really not, but it feels like it right now) at me when he thinks I'm doing too much.

It's blown up over the stupidest thing, too. He gets on my case just because I carry our 30# dog (who has only 3 legs and is arthritic) up the foyer (10 steps max). We just got the carpet cleaned downstairs (where the dogs get let out 2x a day when he's at work) so we've been trying to make sure they don't walk on the carpet right now (our yard is a mud fest).

I have no energy, but no excuse for it. I work from home (on the computer) and work is piling up today, but I couldn't get myself out of bed until noon and have no desire to concentrate.

I feel really crazy and emotionally, and it's stupid bc I was happy 2 days ago and the pregnancy will soon be over...

It makes no sense! Someone please tell me this is a weird temporary pre-labor thing. Will it stop?

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 07:32 PM

Birth!

Well in my experience, several weeks after birth! Its the hormones...don't beat yourself up about it...it happens to many of us!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 02-11-2009, 08:34 PM

Cherry: Here's a big hug, especially for carrying that 3-legged dog around. I also have a 30-pound dog that I still carry around periodically. And, I have a second dog that is helping the first one muck up our floors/carpet. I love them both to tears so it's hard not to pick them up for squeezes. I'm trying to make up for not walking and playing with them as much.

This is also my first baby so I can't help you with the hormone issue. Your husband sounds like he's a patient man so don't beat yourself up for venting on him. He's probably cutting you a lot of slack. Perhaps, if you don't want to open the issue back up by formally apologizing (and risk venting again), you can just make a nice dinner (or order take-out) for when he gets home. Sometimes gestures speak louder. . .

I also work from home a lot and find myself procrastinating, sleeping during the day, etc. On the worst of my days, I've tried to climb out of the hole by focusing on one small task at a time--baby steps. I get too overwhelmed when I look at the list of things I haven't done.

Just remember, you're not alone.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:08 AM

Oh honey, you're not the only one. I just am trying to remove myself from situations where my inner raging bitch is coming out.

Having the baby will help. I promise. Hang in there and when you're not in a foul mood, tell your husband that you'll be nice again after the baby's born. That's what I've done and he understands. It sounds like yours will too.

You're not alone. And it does get better. But it is just awful while it lasts. I know. I find myself saying snarky things and taking things so personally it's just embarrassing.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 02-12-2009, 06:59 PM

Yeah, it's hormones. And it gets much better after birth.

Anyone having paranoid dreams? I keep having VIVID dreams about bad things happening and I wake up in a terrible mood. I should be grateful that the preg. insomnia seems to be getting better, but I'd rather be awake than dreaming.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyCOmama View Post
Yeah, it's hormones. And it gets much better after birth.

Anyone having paranoid dreams? I keep having VIVID dreams about bad things happening and I wake up in a terrible mood. I should be grateful that the preg. insomnia seems to be getting better, but I'd rather be awake than dreaming.
I had a dream last night that my 14 year old was pregnant...that was fun

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 02-12-2009, 07:52 PM

I cried 11 TIMES the other day. I mean SOBBING crying. It was a rough day but most of it is hormones. The dreams are terrible too, they are so vivid it's like watching a movie, I don't want to watch a movie, I want to sleep. So I dream a 2 hour movie, get up, pee and then go back to another 2 hour movie and then get up, pee. Repeat until 6 am.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesiLynne View Post
The dreams are terrible too, they are so vivid it's like watching a movie, I don't want to watch a movie, I want to sleep. So I dream a 2 hour movie, get up, pee and then go back to another 2 hour movie and then get up, pee. Repeat until 6 am.
Amen to that! This is totally how I feel- and it is getting so old!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 PM

I have heard it is worse when you carry girls...At least in my informal polling of friends who have carried both genders. My boys were fairly even pregnancies emotionally, but this girl is possessing me! I can't wait to give birth and get my hormones back!

You will too, and soon! You are almost there! I finally had to take a couple days and just not talk to anyone for a while. Poor DH just had to call someone else for conversation until I got some balance back (temporarily!)

Hang in there!
Old 05-29-2009, 04:38 AM

i completely understand what you mean...this is my first pregnancy and i am 18 years old. Idk whats been wrong with me lately...i have a confession to make yesterday i completely lost it...i grabbed a knife and threatened to cut my own brother...and though he was wrong for cursing me out...that is not like me to resort to violence in anyway...i have snapped on everyone in my family..and i am afraid that if i dont learn some way to control my intense hormones i may lose everyone...i am tearing up right now just thinking about it...i really need some help.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:35 PM

Hi, Lonely Mommy. Unfortunately the Februrary 09 Due Date Club is closing really soon. Have you found club for the month your baby is due? Maybe some ladies there would have some ideas on how to support you. Best wishes on you and your baby!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

User Tag List