Mothering Forum banner

Bloody show vs. mucus plug? Total TMI...

8K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  tak 
#1 ·
I really don't know how to spell mucus. Mucous? Whatever.

Don't read this if you're already feeling nauseated...I'm sorry in advance!

So, if I peed and had to wipe three times because of all the thick slime, then noticed something pink in the toilet; then if I got a straw from the kitchen and poked the big white and bloody slimy thing that had just come out of me to properly identify it, aside from me being completely nasty, does that mean anything?
Is that some mucus plug or bloody show, and does it even make a difference?

Sorry to be gross but I don't have anyone else to ask!

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep, that's your plug. It means you've made some progress dialating. You might want to tie up any loose ends and get ready for labor. I didn't have that until about 5hours before my last child was born. But, if this is your first, it may be a little longer.

Are you having contractions?

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
Are you having contractions?
I don't know.
I'm really crampy, like the kind of menstrual cramps that make you double over, but nothing more than that. I'm going to do the dishes and go to the post office and try not to get my hopes up too much, even though I'd really really like Baby to come today or tomorrow.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by justKate View Post
I don't know.
I'm really crampy, like the kind of menstrual cramps that make you double over, but nothing more than that. I'm going to do the dishes and go to the post office and try not to get my hopes up too much, even though I'd really really like Baby to come today or tomorrow.
Coming in from new posts...

That's just how my first labor started, I had cramps, lost my plug, and had stronger and stronger menstrual-type cramps that eventually morphed into contractions. From onset of cramps to baby in arms was about 14 hours. Second baby, onset of cramps to baby in arms was 9 hours.

I hope this is it! good luck!

#6 ·
To me, it sounds like you are starting labor. Loosing your mucous plug is one thing-- and a good sign-- but with some pink in there usually means things are REALLY getting under way!!! I give it less than 24 hours (just a guess
. Good luck! I'm so excited for you!!!!
:

#8 ·
Not to be a total downer, but I lost my plug 2 weeks before my first arrived, about a week before the second, and I lost it over a week ago with this one. It can regenerate.

So, don't freak out if labor doesn't start within 24 hours or so!

(And I hope it does... I'm 39 weeks & 6 days and wouldn't wish post-dates on anyone!)

#11 ·
happyCOmamma and tak, did yours have the pink tinge or bloodiness to it? I always thought that the mucous plug without the pink could be lost weeks ahead of time but when the bloody show is there, it usually means labor is happening/underway within hours.

#12 ·
I had pink when I wiped and menstrual cramps that progressed into contractions. I lost a few pieces of my plug a few hours after the pink. Also the pink progressed into blood within a few hours. I had my baby 8 hours after I first noticed the pink. Good luck!!

Cindy

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
happyCOmamma and tak, did yours have the pink tinge or bloodiness to it? I always thought that the mucous plug without the pink could be lost weeks ahead of time but when the bloody show is there, it usually means labor is happening/underway within hours.
For me, the mucous plug was tinged pink and streaky but nothing like actual bloody show, which was quite.... bloody. And with both previous pregnancies bloody show was accompanied by real contractions that progressed quickly. The first time around, I wasn't sure that the mucous plug wasn't bloody show, but once I saw actual bloody show the differences were really obvious. (I know, totally not helpful to first timers).

Everyone is different, though, so YMMV.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
No pink -- more brown, like old blood -- so that's probably why it didn't lead to anything. I had a fair amount of blood-tinged mucous this week but that was because of a stretch and sweep on Tuesday, I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.