Nameless? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is my sweet little four day old girl the only nameless baby around here? I don't know why we are having such a hard time naming the wee girl. We've thrown all kinds of names around from ones we love but don't seem to fit her to ones we just randomly picked.

We have discussed names like Ella, Cora and Wren but can't agree on one. Most people we ask like Ella but some like Cora while others say it's to much like our other daughters name of Kara. If we use Ella or Cora then the middle name will likely be Anne.

We like Old English, Irish and German names quite a bit. Our other three children are Jacob Lee, Emma Louise and Kara Chelsea. We prefer the first name to be one we just like while the middle is after a family member. We want a name that is easy to pronounce and spell as our children have a mouthful with our last name alone. And nothing matches our last name, it simply isn't possible so we only really worry about the sound of the first and middle name together. Our last name is four syllables and is an Americanized version of a German surname.

My husband's family is literally calling us every day to ask if she has a name yet. It seems to be a really big deal to them that she is still nameless. I admit it bugs me some too. I'd like to have something to call her. In my head I've just been calling her Wren because she looks like this sweet little puffball with soft, fuzzy brown hair. My husband is fine with it as a nickname but not so sure on it as a first name and we can't agree on a middle name to go with it.

So anyways, that's my little saga. We need to figure something out soon because I still have to mail in birth certificate paperwork by Friday or Saturday at the latest.

:
#2 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 11:11 AM
luv

Man you sound like us!! Early on in preg I had a dream that we had a boy named Caden. Hubby Really liked the name and though we were having a girl we decided on Kayden. I looked at the social security numbers and it seemed that while it was more popular for boys as Caden it was also found for girls as Kayden. We agreed that was it.

Then a few months later I saw the name Cora and really liked it. I mentioned it to hubby and while he liked it too he still liked Kayden better. A couple months ago I saw the SS numbers that are more recent and saw a major spike in Caden's popularity. I also began to see it a lot on recent birth boards. Suddenly I was worried my Kayden would be the only girl in a class full of boy Cadens. We had already chosen a family middle name that was also very masculine so it's not like she could choose to go by that if she felt Kayden was a boys name.

I worried but hubby still liked Kayden better than Cora (though he liked them both).

She was born on Saturday. We went with Kayden when we told family and friends. Then sunday he came back and said "But she looks like a Cora".

Now we were REALLY undecided. We called my folks.. among other things mentioned was that there were two boys 2 and 4yo that were named Kaden on their street alone (no y).

Hubby is down at the town hall (we live in France) registering the birth right now.

Cora Dixon Kline

-luv
#3 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

I'm hoping to have her named by the end of today.

:
#4 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 11:27 AM

You will find her name.

I too like Ella, it's very feminine....but looking at your other dc's names, I have to say that Wren (IMO) goes better with them. And I do love that name too, I understand that Anne wouldn't work as well with that name though.

Are you totally sold on the middle as a family member's name? If not, maybe the name would come more easily to you. I don't know really...I'm just trying to give you another perspective.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#5 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 AM

Cora is pretty but pretty too close to Kara.

How 'bout Anne as a fn? Of course, I am partial

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#6 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Banned

all of those names are so beautiful. But it seems telling to me that you are calling her Wren in your mind. She must look like a Wren and I'm a big believer in naming through intuition and yours seems to be screaming Wren. This is an adorable name and unique. I'd go with that if I were you just based on serendipity. Ella and Cora are beautiful too!
#7 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned

Oh, sorry about the middle name Anne. If you go with Wren can you alter Anne slightly? Wren Anna or lengthen it: Wren Annalise, Wren Annette, Wren Annemarie. Also, Hannah is what Anne is a variation of. Wren Hannah?
#8 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 11:41 AM

I think that Ella and Cora are too much like your other dds names. I prefer Wren or even go with Anne or Anna for the first name. Just my 2 cents

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#9 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 11:50 AM

I like Cora but it was my grandmother's name so I am partial... Good Luck!
#10 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeC View Post
Oh, sorry about the middle name Anne. If you go with Wren can you alter Anne slightly? Wren Anna or lengthen it: Wren Annalise, Wren Annette, Wren Annemarie. Also, Hannah is what Anne is a variation of. Wren Hannah?
How funny that you mention Annalise for a middle name because I've had that one occur to me out of the blue several times. I brushed it off and didn't mention it to my husband because it's not a family name. I really like Wren Annalise. I wanted Wren Muriel after my great grandmother but he doesn't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
I think that Ella and Cora are too much like your other dds names. I prefer Wren or even go with Anne or Anna for the first name. Just my 2 cents
I like Anne/Anna but I have a 1 yo niece named Anna Sophia. I have another 1 yo niece named Gabriella Ann. That and how popular Ella is now is what's stopping me from using it.

:
#11 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so doing a little reading just now and I think I prefer the more traditional spellings of Annelise/Anneliese to encourage it being pronounced ah-ne-leese like it's supposed to be said. It is a German/Dutch name which would be great. My mothers fathers family and my FIL's families come from Germany. Now to convince my husband...

:
#12 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Don't feel bad, it took us almost 2 weeks to name Lily. All through my pregnancy we were calling her Poppy and then she was born and it just felt wrong. We were getting the constant phone calls and emails too but we waited until we were sure that the name we picked felt right.

I'm glad we took our time, Lily fits her perfectly.

I think Cora is a bit too much like Kara as well. Ella is beautiful, how about Claire? It would fit with your other kids' names.
#13 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 03:05 PM

I love the name Wren (two of my favorite birds are the Wren and the Phoebe). Although it was nixed by DH I wanted Phoebe Claire if we have a girl. I totally understand the long last name conundrum (sp).My last name is three syllables plus I hyphenated w DH's! Ha!

good luck.
#14 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 03:33 PM

Popping in from the March DDC - I love Wren! Feminine and beautiful. We don't have a name at all either. It drives me crazy knowing she may be born without one.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#15 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 PM

I too love Wren, especially with Annelise as the middle name. Wren is beautiful and unusual without being too weird, and Annelise is lovely and old fashioned. Also these seem to have instinctively occurred to you which is a good indication.

I agree that Cora is too much like your other daughter's name. About Ella, my husband and I really loved that name, but after looking online at various sites realized that it is about to boom in popularity and will likely be in the top 10 in a few years. That kept us from using it despite it's loveliness--I know my kid will share a name with others, but it seems unfair to knowingly set them up to be one of 5 in their grade. I wouldn't say anything if you were set on it, but seeing as how you're debating already I thought i'd throw in my two cents.

Good luck!!
#16 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Well we agreed on Wren Annelise.

:
#17 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenivere View Post
Well we agreed on Wren Annelise.
I love it! Welcome to the world Wren!:
#18 of 18 Old 02-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Gorgeous name! Welcome Wren Annelise! congratulations!:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page