spit up babies tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else have pukey babies? My first dd never spit up, but this guy seriously does the projectile puke thing. UGH.
I heard someone say something about "Colic Calm", and I'm getting on a pro-biotic (does it go through the BM?) and if that fails, I will try cutting out dairy. The problem is, we have all these frozen meals that everyone made for us and they ALL have cheese in them!

What is everyone else trying?

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 02:42 PM

We are going back on the GAPS diet, although not just because of the baby. I am also adding in probiotics to my diet and straight to the baby as well. With my first son, he had the projectile-vomit/major spit-up thing, and he turned out to gluten-intolerant and rice-intolerant and has trouble digesting other stuff as well. He had a lot of health problems before we figured that out. All of this could have been headed off from a young age had we known. Right now, we are still going through burp cloths, blankets and baby gowns like you wouldn't believe . . . :

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#3 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 03:54 PM

Im glad someone started this thread, my DD is a super spitter and like a PP I never had this issue with DS. I feel like she nurses super quickly and then it all comes right back up again-of course she's gaining weight like a champ so she's obviously getting enough food, I just feel horrible for her.
#4 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 04:55 PM

I thought my DD's spitup was normal, at least compared to her big brother. But the ped advised me to get off the cruciferous veggies. It's been a week and I'm having a hard time imagining life without broccoli, and wish I knew if the spitup is really a problem or not. It doesn't seem to be causing her much discomfort, and like a PP said I think she often just drinks too much too fast. She is also gaining weight at a good pace. Does anyone know for sure what the signs are to tell normal spitup from problem spitup?
#5 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM

My DD spits up every time she eats. And she spits up on the car seat every time she goes in it. Today was the 1st time that she didn't. I don't know what is normal..I'm assuming this is normal? It's not projectile or anything. Just messy! I have it all on my shirt and arm at the moment. Ah motherhood.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#6 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 07:59 PM

crashing your DDC but my first projectile spit up all the time. While at this point 2.5 years later I suspect she has a dairy intolerance, when she was little the spit up never once bothered her. She slept well, ate well, hardly ever fussed, she just spit up anywhere and everywhere. If it's not bothering your LO I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#7 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 08:18 PM

So glad its not just me!! Ds was not a spitter upper so I was a bit concerned at first but now I just roll with it the best I can-which means we smell like souir milk a lot.

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#8 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamillet View Post
So glad its not just me!! Ds was not a spitter upper so I was a bit concerned at first but now I just roll with it the best I can-which means we smell like souir milk a lot.
Do you get the oily stains on your clothes from it too? I still find old shirt that have oily stains from DD's spit up

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#9 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 11:08 PM

Got the Colic Calm today and am here to tell you DO NOT ORDER THIS STUFF. It is jet black. Like squid ink black. And unless washed immediately, it seems to stain. I cannot imagine for the life of me why on earth any company would market a liquid remedy for babies who spit up, that's jet black.

It's a mess. An awful mess. I'm very disappointed so far. Eowyn hasn't been able to keep it down yet for me to see if it helps. So the only effect I've seen from it thus far is more laundry to deal with.

So we're going to stick with Cocyntal. It's clear and seems to work fairly well on the gassiness issues, if given before nursing. I'd use Baby's Bliss Gripe Water (the original) except it has sodium bicarb in it which is bad for reflux. And since we suspect that's what Eowyn has, we can't use the Gripe Water. (Which is why I ordered the Colic Calm. It's marketed as a homeopathic gripe water that doesn't have sodium bicarb in it.)

Anyway. Have taken gluten, dairy, and soy out of my diet. Seems to be helping with the gas discomfort but not the projectile vomiting. Giving something after nursing is a mistake for us -- I tried giving her some Mylicon after nursing and she immediately threw up hugely.

Now whether that's something in the Mylicon, and/or that she doesn't like the taste and it triggers a gag reflex that makes her upchuck, or if it was a timing issues -- I don't know. But the Cocyntal before nursing seems to be innocuous thus far.

Keeping her upper body elevated also seems to help. I nurse her at an angle. I hold her at an angle afterwards. She sleeps with her head elevated (on my shoulder) at night. Putting her face down on my shoulder, upright, after nursing to burp seems to make things worse. I think it's the pressure on her tummy? So I try to burp her at an angle too.

But she is very stingy when it comes to burping. I wonder if that's part of it?

She also seems to be getting a little better at pulling off when my let down starts up. It's much stronger this time it seems than it was with Guinevere initially, so that might be part of it. Eowyn's just getting overfull too fast?

Not sure. But I haven't yet switched over to cloth dipes, I've been having to do so much laundry because of the spitting up. :/

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#10 of 27 Old 03-06-2009, 01:20 AM

anyone else's babe spittng up out their nose ? like everytime ?
#11 of 27 Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 PM

Not every time but some times yes, and it's just awful, isn't it.

I feel so bad for her when it happens, because I know how it can burn. I just try to keep her on her left side as much as possible, and at a slight angle as that seems to help.

#12 of 27 Old 03-08-2009, 06:04 PM

Yesterday I was wearking Makenna in a store and she had a massive spit up right down the front of my shirt. And I had of course left the diaper bag in the car. Good thing I had a white shirt on...it blended in. Now I've learned that I need to bring a change of shirts for myself in her diaper bag!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#13 of 27 Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 PM

Nighten, I end up sucking her nose out almost every time.
#14 of 27 Old 03-10-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesiLynne View Post
anyone else's babe spittng up out their nose ? like everytime ?
Yup, we've got milk coming out the nose here. I think my baby is eating too fast and much at times. He doesn't tend to spit up too much during the day but then he goes on nursing frenzies and spits up a whole feeding. He's already gained 2lbs and is one month so he's growing!
#15 of 27 Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 PM

Well the diet and probiotics are working. She is still gassy, but more normal-gassy and normal spit-ups, rather than up-all-night and always-fussy gassy. I am hoping it will get even better. But she is a gulper, too.

I am so tired. Maybe when I put the boys to bed in half an hour, I will go to bed too. Mmmmmm. Tempting!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#16 of 27 Old 03-11-2009, 10:09 PM

For those with strong letdowns, try nursing on your back. Tricky to keep the baby at an angle that way, but it keeps them from getting choked. You can let the baby sort of sit beside you and lean forward to nurse. Sort of like a football hold, only you are laying down. Helped ds immensely.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#17 of 27 Old 03-12-2009, 09:03 PM

Anyone have a baby that is obviously in pain from the reflux? Aubrey is on Prevacid (courtesy of the NICU) for her reflux, but she's still obviously in pain. Can't keep breastmilk down alone--have to add rice cereal and bottle feed her part of the time. I wish there was something more (other than everything already mentioned) that I could do to make her feel better....

nighten, thanks for the heads up on the Colic Calm. I was going to give it a shot.... As far as I can tell the Mylicon doesn't help much either.

#18 of 27 Old 03-15-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
Anyone have a baby that is obviously in pain from the reflux? Aubrey is on Prevacid (courtesy of the NICU) for her reflux, but she's still obviously in pain. Can't keep breastmilk down alone--have to add rice cereal and bottle feed her part of the time. I wish there was something more (other than everything already mentioned) that I could do to make her feel better....

nighten, thanks for the heads up on the Colic Calm. I was going to give it a shot.... As far as I can tell the Mylicon doesn't help much either.
You could try the Boiron Cocyntal homeopathic -- it's clear. And it definitely helps with the gassiness.

#19 of 27 Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Add me to the club. She projectile vomits at least one time per day, generally after she wasn't satiated by the first boob. She will end up throwing up violently all over both of us. Sometimes it's fresh milk, sometimes it's curdled and gross.

DS did the same thing, to a "T". I wish I could remember when he quit doing it. Maybe about 5 months?

And, oily stains? Oh yeah...heavy duty Oxiclean soaks are the only solution I've found.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#20 of 27 Old 03-21-2009, 01:46 AM

I'm glad I'm doing diaper service...I go through so many diapers each day for mopping up the spit up and cleaning it off of the couch.

Anyone know the best way to burp a baby that spits up a lot? I keep hearing sitting up but a lot of times she stiffens and doesn't want to bend. And she still ends up spitting up that way too...only then it rolls off the burp cloth and onto my pants and the couch. Also if I am burping her and she spits up does that count as a burp or do I need to keep going? I usually stop once she starts spitting up so more doesn't come out.

Cindy

#21 of 27 Old 03-21-2009, 11:28 AM

Wish I had some advice but I don't. DD is still spitting up a lot-- just not as much as she was at the very beginning. Sigh.

#22 of 27 Old 03-22-2009, 01:36 AM

Well, Eowyn seems to do much better on her left side, mostly prone, or at a very slight angle only. The carseat type angle is very bad for her. As is straight up and down (like on my shoulder, with me sitting really straight).

I still can't nurse her on the left side normally at all without her vomiting all over us both. So I hold her in a football type hold for left side nursing, so she is literally lying on her left side instead of her right.

The big challenge for me is that she needs to be held all the time, which would be no big deal (Guinevere was like this, though not pukey) because of the pouch/sling, only I'm right handed and cannot wear the pouch over my right shoulder (I'm an idiot and cannot figure out how to do it and it not drive me nuts), but wearing it on my left puts her at an angle that she can't tolerate well.

And while she's doing well with neck control, she's not up to a point where I'm comfy putting her in the Ergo or mei tai. So I'm thinking about getting an insert for the Ergo if it's not too expensive.

We'll see.

She does best burping if either lying on her side (she prefers side-lying nursing to all else it seems) with me gently patting her back, or with me leaning back and her on my chest, face down (well, to the side), if that makes sense. But it feels like an ongoing experiment, honestly. I just keep tentative trying new things. But for now the main no-nos for us are:

- Giving any kind of medication (Mylicon or Cocyntal, etc.) after nursing = giant vomiting
- Nursing on the left in a traditional hold = ditto
- Putting her in the bouncy seat, swing, or carseat for any length of time beyond say 5 minutes = lots of gassiness/discomfort/fussing
- Having her head elevated more than just slightly on a sleeping surface = lots of fussing

Stuff that's helped:

- Side lying nursing with her on her left side and me leaning over to feed her off either breast
- Burping her lying on her left or on my chest
- Not changing her diaper or jostling her around immediately after nursing
- Letting her sleep on her side (we cosleep, so I'm right there just in case)
- We're both on probiotics

#23 of 27 Old 03-22-2009, 02:07 PM

What is considered projectile vomiting? Makenna shoots it a couple inches but I'm not sure that is considered projectile? Like yesterday while lying down on her back she turned her head to the side and it shot far enough to not get on her face or shoulder and land right next to her.

Thanks for the tips Nighten! I think I will try burping on her side. At 3:30 in the morning i was burping her over my shoulder in my bed and she spit up massively and it ran down the burp cloth and made a huge lovely puddle on my bed.

Nighten: Have you thought about a mobi wrap? You can be more flexible about how you put her in that way (which way you lean her) or just keep her upright yet have head control. Also I have a kangaroo pouch sling and I find it easy to put on on either side...nothing to adjust on it like a ring sling which confuses the heck out of me.

Cindy

#24 of 27 Old 03-22-2009, 04:09 PM

To me, projectile vomiting is when it has force -- it shoots straight out (and sometimes out her nose) rather than mostly spilling out of her mouth (which is what I call spit up).

I found an Ergo infant insert today with free shipping and ordered it. It's cheaper than another sling or wrap, so I'm going to try it and see if that works, since it looks as if it will hold her in a position she'll be more comfy in. The pouch style slings I've got all hold her at a more extreme angle (more like fetal position I guess?), and she's just not happy in there. Which is a shame as I love love loved using the slings with Guinevere.

Oh well. Will try the insert when it gets here. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

#25 of 27 Old 04-01-2009, 06:26 PM

My baby has days where he spits up lots and days where he is fine. There was one day where it seemed like he wasn't keeping any milk in him - as soon as he nursed, out it would come, via mouth or nose.

Yesterday he spit up more and DH thinks it's the Carl's Jr I ate. Whenever I get a craving for junk food, Sam seems to have trouble nursing and sleeping later that day. But it's not all fast food...he's ok if I have some popeye's chicken or In-N-Out but NOT if I have Carl's Jr or McDonald's. He was like that in the womb too though...

He doesn't seem to be in pain when he spits up...he just does it and goes on wiggling in a happy way. I do burp him after he nurses on a breast but he doesn't always have a burp. I have to put him so that his tummy presses against my shoulder and sometimes I put him on his back and move his legs into his chest a couple times before burping him again. For his naps, I put him in the middle of the boppy so that he is upright a bit if he hasn't burped. I tried putting him in the bouncer but he doesn't like it right now.
#26 of 27 Old 04-02-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kssinca View Post

Yesterday he spit up more and DH thinks it's the Carl's Jr I ate. Whenever I get a craving for junk food, Sam seems to have trouble nursing and sleeping later that day. But it's not all fast food...he's ok if I have some popeye's chicken or In-N-Out but NOT if I have Carl's Jr or McDonald's. He was like that in the womb too though...
I wonder if it is the preservatives they use?

Alena spits up a lot when I eat certain things- dairy in particular- so that's out of my diet. Also tomatoes and onions give her painful gas, spit-up, and she cries all afternoon, so those are out. Eggs get her a bit, so I limit those, but I haven't cut them completely.

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!
#27 of 27 Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 PM

Owyn is really starting to spit up a lot. It's strange, because she isn't uncomfortable, doesn't seem to be anyway. She burps great when eating. She usually lets me know when she needs to burp (starts fussing a little, pulling away from the breast), and will usually eat a little more after burping. She has had one projectile vomit, it was Exorcist-like, just crazy!

Anyway, she spits up numerous times after everytime she eats. The only time she doesn't seem to spit up a lot is when we're in bed at night. If she falls back asleep while nursing, she'll lay right down with no spitting up. We've experimented a lot trying to figure out what factor is making her spit up.

I asked the dr. about it at her appt. yesterday. The only thing we can come up with is her sensitive gag reflex. She gags when she has a pacifier in her mouth, she gags if I try to soothe her with my finger, she gags on the breast if too much gets in her mouth. She has had a little cold lately and gags when she coughs. Anyone else had a baby with such a sensitive gag reflex?

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page