Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   February 2009 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/459-february-2009/)
-   -   name change? what do you think (http://www.mothering.com/forum/459-february-2009/1053444-name-change-what-do-you-think.html)

sjbiic 03-09-2009 11:34 PM

We had a really hard time coming up with a name that we both liked for our little girl. A week after birth we got a call from our birthing center saying they were submitting her legal name as "baby girl". We both really liked a name but recieved very negative responses from everyone we shared it with, so feeling rushed we picked Frances, it was on our list from the start of the pregnancy, we never loved it, we just didnt hate it...
So now 6 weeks after she was born, I really HATE it,- everyone thinks shes a boy. I dont know if its just PP stuff or what but I really want to change it to the name I love. I know no one likes it( except my hubby and I)but I'm done worrying about that. What do you think ? Is it too late?

Devaskyla 03-10-2009 03:00 AM

I don't see why it would be too late. I know people have changed their kids names when they're a lot older than 6 weeks.

sarafi 03-10-2009 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbiic View Post
We had a really hard time coming up with a name that we both liked for our little girl. A week after birth we got a call from our birthing center saying they were submitting her legal name as "baby girl". We both really liked a name but recieved very negative responses from everyone we shared it with, so feeling rushed we picked Frances, it was on our list from the start of the pregnancy, we never loved it, we just didnt hate it...
So now 6 weeks after she was born, I really HATE it,- everyone thinks shes a boy. I dont know if its just PP stuff or what but I really want to change it to the name I love. I know no one likes it( except my hubby and I)but I'm done worrying about that. What do you think ? Is it too late?
I vote change it, if you hate it. Why not? Just pick the one you liked initially if you still like it and think it fits your baby. Don't worry she's yours and you are free to change your mind.

I must add that I REALLY love the name Frances though, if this last one was a girl we would be calling her Francie right now

Larissa 03-10-2009 08:54 AM

Absolutely change the name. You can start calling her the new name now, but I am pretty sure that you need to wait until you have the birth certificate to change it legally.

We are going to change our baby's middle name. Less of a big deal because it's the middle, but we are certain that we chose the wrong middle name, so we are changing it. I've already put her "new" middle name on the birth announcements.

JesiLynne 03-10-2009 11:36 AM

Don't feel bad about changing it! It's your kid, not anyone else. We changed Sephie's after finding out her name meant something pretty bad. I love her new name!!!!!!!! more so than the original.

Thursday Girl 03-10-2009 02:44 PM

change it. and screw what other people think, they can name their kid whatever they want, but this is your kid

kriket 03-10-2009 02:56 PM

I think legally you don't even have to go through the usual name change rigmarole if they are under an age (I'm sure this varies by state) I think I've read this on MDC before!

monkaha 03-10-2009 05:54 PM

Absolutely change it. I wasn't sure about DS's name, and it is only now that he's almost 5 and starting to write it himself that it is starting to feel like the "right" name. I'm used to it now, but if the real right name had been in my mind (we didn't have another name, this one was just not it) then I would have changed it.