Weekly Chat March 13th - March 19th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 03-13-2009, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I started exercising, screw waiting to six weeks. I'm not doing an hour a day, more like 15 minutes every few days, but it's a start. I can not really believe how truly out of shape I am, and it is not just from being pregnant.
I have also discovered yoga and fat girls don't mix well. 1/2 the moves I just couldn't do.

Sephie is more awake now, and bfeeding is going well. I just need her to stay awake long enough to empty a boob.
#2 of 62 Old 03-13-2009, 11:07 AM

Ha! I'm dying to exercise, too. I feel like a slug and would like to, I dunno, go for a run? But, I'm only 2 weeks postpartum so I'm holding myself to leisurely walks...

And my baby is a lazy nurser, too. The last 2 were like barracudas, but she lets go after letdown and just licks the milk...and she only nurses every 2-4 hours. The others nursed every 30 minutes to an hour. It's just so strange. But, she's gaining just fine...3/4 pound in a week, so I guess she's getting plenty.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#3 of 62 Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM

I was just describing Owyn as a lazy nurser to my husband last night. She just wants to snooze and snack, so our nursing sessions can last up to 45 min, especially in the middle of the night when she's sleepy. She's awake a lot during the day, which is great, so she nurses better during daytime hours... a little cluster feeding in the evening, which actually sets us up nicely for longer stretches at night... more sleep for me!

She is having trouble with latching on though. This just started the last few days, she had no trouble at first. She gets latched on, but lets go and seems frustrated. I know my milk is letting down pretty quickly, because when she lets go, I get a puddle on my lap. It's frustrating for both of us. She latches and lets go several times and it can sometimes take a long time for her to get comfortable. I don't know what the deal is... It really frustrates her. It's only on that first side though. Once she gets it finally, she'll feed fine, and do fine latching on the other side with no problem. We've tried changing positions, but that just frustrates her more. Any thoughts?

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#4 of 62 Old 03-13-2009, 04:11 PM

I've been exercising a bit. Mostly walks but also a weekly post partum class which is focusing mostly on core and back strength. I try to do the exercises at home too but I'm not always good about it. I'm anxious to get back to my yoga class but I don't feel ready to be away from Fiona. I know that I can and that she will be fine with DH but I think I'll give it a bit more time and pull out some DVD's instead.

This week has been a set back in all of that though b/c I've had mastitis. Totally wiped me out. The antibiotics are hard at work and I'm feeling much better. Still pretty tired but thank god the rest of the symptoms are pretty much gone. Ironically, I think Fiona sleeping such long stretches at night is what set me up for mastitis. She slept for 5 hours, followed by 3+ hours one night and I woke up totally engorged. The next thing you know I had mastitis. I was surprised by how fast that happened. I'll take less sleep over this anytime.

I've noticed less cluster feeding and more long nursing stretches lately. I think her stomach must be getting bigger and she's also able to stay awake longer. She often wants to suck on mine or DH's finger for comfort rather then be on the breast (especially in the evening.) Someone suggested a pacifier but I'm not sure I really want to go that route. Anyone have any words of wisdom regarding the pacifier use? I don't mind her getting comfort form it but I don't want a child that HAS to have her binky.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#5 of 62 Old 03-13-2009, 04:12 PM

Sometimes I have trouble getting a newer baby to latch (with all 3 of mine). Doing the standard "cup it in your hand, wait until the baby opens their mouth, and bring the baby to it" just doesn't get it for me.

I compress the areola and then push the baby's chin down with my finger, and shove in as much as I can. Pushing the chin gently causes them to open their mouths wider, and giving them a smaller (yet still getting in much of the areola) area to latch on seems to help a lot.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#6 of 62 Old 03-13-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

As AP as I maybe be, I love pacifiers. Why ? I currently have 3 thumb suckers. I would much rather have my kids use a pacifier than be thumb suckers ? My sister sucked her thumb until she was 9 and her teeth are totally screwed up because of it. She is mad paranoid about her kids sucking their thumbs. I can wean them off a pacifier, I can't just take away a finger. I wish I had pushed the pacifier on my 3 suckers more. Currently ds2 is 4 and I need to get working on weaning him off this thumb.
#7 of 62 Old 03-13-2009, 04:27 PM

:

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#8 of 62 Old 03-13-2009, 07:17 PM

I agree with jessilynne on the paci vs. thumb sucker. We lost ds's paci at 18 months and it took 2 nights of crying and laying down with him to break the need for it. You can put limits on the paci i.e. you can have it for naps and bedtime but it must stay in the bedroom. You can't put limits on a thumb.
No exercise here yet. Every time I do a little more I start to bleed again.

We're buying a new washer and dryer today. My dryer has never worked properly it takes 3hrs to dry a load. My washer died on Thursday. It won't spin anymore. Both were in the house when we bought it. I'm so ready for new ones. I am going energy efficient with the washer. I just hope they can deliver it tommorow because we cd and I can't go without my washer.

Both dh and ds got a wicked stomach bug. It was so gross. So far the baby and I did not get it.

Took Delia to the chiro today. She's a little tight in the shoulders and neck and has a weak hip joint. We're going back next wednesday.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#9 of 62 Old 03-14-2009, 12:19 AM

i haven't exercised, but I have been walking and just doing mormal things, plus I decided not to wait 6 weeks to have sex. I was surprised it went so well. I thought there was some major reson for waiting 6 weeks, but nope fine.

went to bushc gardens today and was asked to move to the back of the theatre. I refused to and then complained to the surper who told his employee to tell me to move, and to guest services. I don't know what's going to happen with it but told them i will be following up.

Lazy latcher thats mine, she does that getting the flow going then try to lick the milk up, then other times she is a very vigorous nurser. I can't wait to see how big she is monday.

mal85 i had this happening I found if i held my breast /nipple in the cup position, then when the nipple was in her mouth (but she wasn't latched on) I let go and she usually manages to get latched on that way. Good luck, sounds frustrating.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#10 of 62 Old 03-14-2009, 12:21 AM

I had my 6 week postpartum check up today and found out, happily, that I can see this doctor for a future pregnancy whether high risk or not. Once I've been a patient I'm always welcome back. I am SO happy because I adore my doctor so much. I laughed and said "Okay I'm going home and getting pregnant right now!" He cracked up. I gave him a birth announcement to hang on his wall o' babies and we chatted for a bit. When I told him we weren't using any birth control he said "Okay so I'll see you back here in like May? June at the latest?" LOL

I'm so sad all the appointments and anticipation is over. I'm ready for another baby now! But my body is so not. The SPD was really bad this time and my doctor says it starts earlier and gets worse each time. Yikes. So we're waiting at least a year to give my body a chance to recover. Hopefully we'll be able to afford for me to see a chiropractor regularly next time and then the SPD won't be so bad.
#11 of 62 Old 03-14-2009, 11:23 AM

Oh Lydia I am so glad you can see your dr for future pregnancies. It can be so hard to find a good dr you really like. If I ever have another baby I want to use my midwife Andrea again. although I am probably not going ot have anymore.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#12 of 62 Old 03-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Hey ladies!

Things are going well with Royce - he's 8 weeks tomorrow! He has his fussy spells but for the most part we're doing well. It is very hard to get him to sleep on his own though. I have to be right next to him or holding him, and it seems that no matter how gentle I put him down he will wake up within minutes. We cosleep which I enjoy, but it would be nice to be able to put him down during naps so I could get some stuff done. I've been thinking of buying a swing, but haven't decided yet.

I think dh and I are setting a record for the longest time pp before dtd. It has been 8 weeks and we still haven't : At my 6 week appt my midwife had to stop my vaginal exam because it hurt, so obviously I wasn't ready yet. I think we may wait another week and then try. This is getting a bit ridiculous!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#13 of 62 Old 03-14-2009, 11:48 PM

I'm imagining months before DTD again. That may change as my recovery progresses (it's only been two weeks), but I just can't imagine anything going near that area for a long time. I'm not hurting so much anymore. Haven't had any bleeding in two days. I'm just not comfortable with that area yet.

As for the swing... it's a life saver for us. She LOVES the swing and sleeps so well in it for her naps. I have laid her down in the bassinet for a nap before and she did fine, slept there for two hours... but she was sleeping very deeply when I put her down. I tried that same night to put her in the bassinet when we went to bed. It only lasted about 5 minutes before she woke up. Anyway, I'm almost jealous of the swing sometimes she likes it so much.

We went shopping today for the first time. It went well. She slept for almost all of it, then woke up wanting to eat. It was weird for me to feed her at the mall. It's awkwardness on my end, we're not good at being discreet yet. And I'm not comfortable letting my goods out for all to see. Anyway, I found an adorable Easter basket for her and a pair of pants that actually fits me! I can be comfy in jeans again and stop leaving the house in sweats.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#14 of 62 Old 03-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesiLynne View Post
I have also discovered yoga and fat girls don't mix well. 1/2 the moves I just couldn't do.
I hear you on this! Check out Yoga by Megan Garcia (plus-size model): http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Just-Size.../dp/B0006TPDXO
I really love it!

Aellyn is a month old! I can't believe it. She smiled at me today and I actually cried! It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Everything is going perfectly except.. hemorrhoids - ugh. It is just hell. Anyone else dealing with this little post-pregnancy gem?
#15 of 62 Old 03-15-2009, 11:06 AM

Aubrey was four weeks yesterday! But to me it feels like she's still brand new. She is a strange little girl--I've never seen anyone fight going to sleep the way she does.

I haven't started exercising, but we are taking very short walks every now and then. Last night I went out to dinner and wore her in the sling for the first time. It was great--I had no idea it would work so well. She catnapped the whole time! Also tried DTD last night, which didn't go so great. There is no lubrication going on down there. Completely the opposite of my entire pregnancy but I guess that's something we can manage. And I don't think I'm emotionally ready yet, which might be part of the problem.

DID, that's awesome about your doctor! I can't even think about having another baby. I keep telling Aubrey she's going to be an only child and Huz is getting upset about it.

BTW, does anyone else's baby scream bloody murder every time they poop, even though its soft baby poop? Just wondering...

#16 of 62 Old 03-15-2009, 12:55 PM

Justkate: My DD screams as soon as she poops...but not usually during. Though sometimes she gets really fussy and cries leading up to it.

I'm 6 weeks post partum and we DTD twice...the second time I ended up bleeding fresh red blood. I guess we just need to be a bit more careful. Didn't hurt though. The lack of lubrication is from breast feeding hormones. I am getting an IUD put in this week...I think I'll feel more relaxed about DTD once it is in. I definitely look forward to more babies but I so don't want irish twins!

I love having a swing. It is usually the only place I can put DD down during the day.

Makenna slept in the pack and play the last 2 nights...had been sleeping in our bed. It was really nice to have space in the bed and to be able to snuggle DH again...but we are both sad to not have her right next to us. We can't decide what to do. I keep bringing her to bed in the morning.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#17 of 62 Old 03-15-2009, 06:38 PM

We're also at 4 weeks now! Still adjusting to breast feeding (one day at a time) but I'm committed to doing it so I'm praying it gets easier. Good news is that she's gaining weight and she's already at 8 1/2 pounds (7.5 at birth).

No, we haven't DTD yet either and I don't see it happening very soon. I'm actually concerned about my bleeding. I'm still soaking 2-3 pads a day and it's bright-ish red blood. I wasn't concerned until I read that the later weeks should be darker blood and just spotting. I'm not faint or light headed but I still wonder if something is wrong. I do plan on calling the doc's office tomorrow but has anyone had a similar experience?

My daughter (that still sounds so weird to me) loves the swing. She also sleeps better there than the bassinet. Her number one preference, however, is to sleep on me, my DH, or any visiting relative. The little thing often squawks until she gets her way.
#18 of 62 Old 03-15-2009, 07:59 PM

nak

We're at 2.5 weeks here. BF'ing is finally getting easier and less painful. Still toe-curlingly painful right at the start of a feed, but ok after the 1st min or so. He's settling into a routine of sorts, with a 4 hours stretch of sleep most nites. I'm finally over the crud that hit right after he was born (and it took antibiotics to clear it up). I think the exhaustion from new baby + big kids + sick was what had me considering PPD last week. Feeling more positive now. Still not quite....myself yet, but we are only 2.5 wks out.

Too soon to DTD here, and I'm too pooped and 'touched out' to want to anyway.

Haven't gotten out the swing yet. He'll sleep for a bit in the bassenette, but prefers to be in arms. thank goodness for the sling!

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#19 of 62 Old 03-15-2009, 10:10 PM

Rosalie is doing very well. She will be 6 weeks this Wednesday. She is such a good sleeper. After two really NON sleepers, I am so thankful that she likes her sleep. She only wakes up once each night to nurse, so she gets 4-5 hour stretches at a time. And she takes really long naps throughout the day. Sometimes I worry that she's not eating enough, but she's growing and she's not fussy!
#20 of 62 Old 03-15-2009, 11:51 PM

heinz what problems are you having with breastfeeding?

also this I don't get, my LLL leader says breastfeeding shouldn't hurt if you are doing it right. I just don't know if I believe that. I mean in the beginning. I think it just might hurt. It didn't with my second daughter but it had only been 2-3 months since i had finished nursing my first. Thoughts?

#21 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 12:35 AM

with both my babies nursing hurt at the newborn stage. They are like barracudas when they are only getting the colostrum and first milk. My finger got sore from her sucking on it so I don't see how my nipples wouldn't. I think even with a good latch there can be pain for the first few minutes. JMO though.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#22 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 12:44 AM

Nursing always hurts a little for me in the first few weeks. Now at 6 weeks it's pain-free but I distinctly remember having quite a bit of soreness at first with each of my previous babies as well.
#23 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Hi!

There is a thread in the breastfeeding forum about the "myth" that bf'ing shouldn't hurt if the latch is good. Most of the women seem to agree that it can hurt even when you are doing fine.

It's been a rough go here. I got celluitis in my stomach, dd got an ear infection, the baby got diarrhea from my antibiotics, I got the flu, and now the baby has a very bad cold. Ugh!

For some reason, I am really struggling. Maybe it's the lack of sleep (he is up almost every hour to hour and a half), I don't know. I'm struggling to feel a bond with the baby. Yesterday I felt like I didn't want anything to do with him and like he was just a big burden. Today has been better because I am making a huge conscious effort, but I am somewhat concerned that I might be developing ppd. I mean, how can you not like your newborn son? I might go see a holistic doctor I heard about. Maybe he could give me some natural supplements to help or something. I really would like to avoid the need for real meds.

Bfing is going okay. I don't enjoy it, but I know it's worth it and I do believe that it will get better. It's frustrating because he just wants to snack all day and I don't want to sit there and feed him. Plus, my breasts are huge and my nipples are small, so getting a consistently good latch is hard.

Geez... I sound like a horrible mom! I'm really not... I think I'm just tired. I know it will get better.

Haven't dtd yet, but would like to soon. I'm not too worried about it hurting.

Haven't exercised yet either. I honestly can't feel my ab muscles still and my stomach is all hang-y and pouch-y and gross. I don't even know where to start! The c-section area still hurts when I do too much, so I am waiting until after 6 weeks pp to start thinking about exercise.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#24 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 PM

Every baby that I have had . . . 4 now . . . has had perfect latches. With my first baby it hurt to nurse for about 3 weeks, even though he had a perfect latch. It hurt for about 2 weeks with my 2nd baby. It didn't hurt at all, not for one second with my 3rd baby . . . but I had been nursing my 2nd baby while pregnant with him. And it hurt for about 2 weeks with my 4th baby. I think there might be some women out there that never have any pain while nursing (at the beginning), however, in general when someone sucks on your for up to 12 hours or more a day, it stands to reason that you might get sore.
#25 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 PM

Corrie-- it's the lack of sleep. Really, you'll feel better when you get more sleep.

I have a thread in the breastfeeding section, DD has a weird suction-thing going on when she nurses. She's still pretty gassy, although the probiotics and diet changes helped a lot-- made a big difference-- but she is still gulping so much air that she just always has some gas. Every little nursing session is followed by a 30+ minute fussy-gassy period in which she must be initially bounced and help upright until she finally falls asleep. No nursing this one to sleep! Poor little girl. It's exhausting, too, though, especially at night.

I am just starting to feel like things are getting back to normal-- but it's been really hectic and I've been so out of it. I missed my two week postnatal midwife appointment and didn't even realize it until it was half an hour past when I was supposed to be there. I'm just so tired most of the time.

I too am trying to get back into the groove of exercising again (3 weeks postpartum), but it's hard when I am always so tired. I simply don't have the energy most days. I have stopped bleeding though! (I think-- hope it doesn't come back!)

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#26 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 PM

Last night we had a screaming session (those are very few and far between) when it came to nursing. She hates the left side. I got on kellymom and tried some suggestions from there, but nothing seems to help. She just does not like to nurse on that side. We've changed positions. I've tried getting her started on the other side and moving her over. I think that side lets down like aggressively. When she lets go and screams it goes all over the place, and when she's on she's having to gulp like crazy and gets choked up a couple of times. She always eventually gets it and seems satisfied, but it's so frustrating getting to that point. The rest of the night she did just fine with that side... I was afraid we'd go through that all night long, but it was just that one time.

This morning she woke up at 5 to eat, a lazy session for her that took 45 min. As soon as I laid her down, she started spitting up, then got the hiccups... that didn't go away for 25 min. She wasn't unhappy, but she was wide awake and wanting to be held, and I was exhausted. When DH's alarm went off at 7, I handed her to him and said he had to take her I couldn't take it anymore I needed some sleep. He brought her back to me when he left for work an hour later and she was still wide awake! She nursed on one side, then we got 3 more hours of sleep. Luckily, I was able to sleep during that time today, but I just keep thinking about when I go back to school and how I am supposed to function when she's awake like that so early in the morning. I'm really dreading the whole going back to school thing. Can't they just give me my degree now and be done with it?

#27 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 PM

I can sympathize Mal. DH fed DD at around 2 (I was up pumping) and put her down and half hour later she was up crying. I was up from 2:45 until 4 with her...swaddled her and tried nursing her a few times until she finally fell asleep and stayed asleep when I put her down. And then she was up again at 6 something for good. Thankfully she is falling alseep in her swing right now so I get some quiet time but I'm not going to climb back in bed. I'm screwed when I have to go back to work. I have to be at work at 5 or 5:30am! 7 seems sooo early to me now after being up during the night. I am just hoping she is a better sleeper 2.5 months from now. Now counting on it though.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#28 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 01:49 PM

Um. Lucius slept through the night last night. Holy cow.
#29 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 02:32 PM

Mal & Vegan: You both described my daily routine. I'm constantly amazed at how little she sleeps! It's so frustrating at times. My husband has a cold so that doesn't help me at all since he has less patience than ever.

I tried the Moby wrap and that didn't work either -- she screamed despite several attempts by me.

She eats, spits up, cries to eat more, gets hiccups, fusses, etc.

Sleep? Feels like never.
#30 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 03:06 PM

I can't wait until she sleeps through. My ds would go right back to sleep after nursing not this one. She fusses and grunts for like .5-1hr after nursing. She usually wakes at either 12am or 2am depending on bedtime and then either 4am or 6am. We go back to sleep until 8 though. At least she likes the sling though. We don't have a swing as the one we got used has battery damage and does not work. Can't afford a new one yet.

We got our new washer and dryer. Dh had to fix the venting again for the dryer but it finally works. It used to take 3 hrs to dry a load and now it takes less than 1 for most. I'm so excited. I got 3 loads of laundry done in one evening. It was taking 4 hrs for one load before. You know you are a mom when laundry appliances thrill and excite you lol.

I can't believe how fast dd is growing. Her little thighs are chunking out. We are going to be out of the newborn dipes in a week or two I think. I think I'm going to get some Berry Plush for smalls and mediums. These are my favorite dipes. We will still use mostly prefolds and wool but a few pretty berry plush will be a nice supplement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page