is his breathing normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you see my previous post, you'll see why I'm so worried. Just wanted to hear from some other moms with newborns. He is 3.5 weeks old and still really stutters with his breathing. He also makes that squeeky dolphin noise ALL the time, especially at night when he is sort of half asleep.

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#2 of 8 Old 03-19-2009, 03:23 PM

Does the stuttering occur when he is asleep ?
#3 of 8 Old 03-19-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

sometimes

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#4 of 8 Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 PM

hmmmmmmmm apnea?
#5 of 8 Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 PM

I stumbled across this in new posts...you mentioned a squeek...look up laryngomalacia and tracheomalacia and tell me if you think it sounds similar. My son has laryngotracheobronchomalacia (quite a mouthful!) and his breathing as a newborn and infant were terrible, strangers would approach me at the store and ask if my baby was okay. Airway malacias are not always a problem, sometimes it's just a slightly underdeveloped airway that corrects itself over time. In my son's case it was associated with his genetic syndrome, but we didn't know for that a while.

If it sounds like it could be malacia, keep him off his back! He should be on an incline, upright, or on his tummy to help keep his airway open. Does he have reflux at all? Reflux and malacia tend to go together because the baby has to work a little harder to breathe, they use accessory muscles which then aggravates their little tummies and they reflux. Another reaons why back sleeping is worse for them.

It might not be malacia, but I thought it was worth mentioning!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#6 of 8 Old 03-19-2009, 10:49 PM

My normal (I assume) newborn (4 weeks) is a very noisy breather at times. He's snorty and squeeky and sometimes it changes rythym and gets rapid...I assume all this is typical.

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#7 of 8 Old 03-21-2009, 11:45 PM

ds3 keeps having apnea episodes...not sure if that's what you meant by "stuttering". I know some babies have tendancy to forget to breathe, so I'm hoping that's all that's happening with him.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#8 of 8 Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 PM

Because of your previous post, I'd say I would check it with your doc. Maybe take a video clip if you need to - or even take a video clip and youtube it and show it to us if you want. By your description just in words, I can't really say. I mean, my baby makes noises but it's hard to compare without hearing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page