Chatting in Spring! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2009, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking forward to the next one! Although there are times when I'm just snuggling with Royce and I think - how would this work with a toddler running around? I figure I would just make a lot more use of the moby wrap! I would like to space my babes by at least 2 years. So we'll probably try again next spring (although really that seems so soon!). It took us a year to conceive Royce, so who knows how things will actually be spaced!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 PM

I took Makenna into my office this morning to meet my co-workers. It was a lot of fun to watch everyone gushing over her. Thankfully she was a good baby while we were there. And then it was nice to be like "see ya later suckas!" and walk on down to the farmer's market and be able to sit a nurse and relax instead of having to rush back to my desk. I hope I can really get out and make the most of the next 2 months until I have to go back!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 PM

My big kids are 7 and almost 5, and are pretty self-sufficiant, and off at school. mornings are rough, getting everyone out the door, and i miss snugging with my big kids at nite (baby clusterfeeds right then). so yeah, more is harder, but overall, i love it!!

i took anthony to work today too. so fun showing him off!

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 PM

I can't wait to do it again! I am loving being a mommy but totally missing being pregnant. I know it'll be overwhelming having them close together, but I want them to be close for their sake. I am 6 years younger than my next youngest sibling and feel like I missed out on growing up with them the way they all grew up together. I want my kids to be close to each other, even if they don't always like each other. They'll have so much to share that way. Seriously, I could be joining another DDC within the year if things go my way!

Taking Owyn to visit my classmates tomorrow. Just visiting one class (my parenting class, ironically). Can't wait for all of them to meet her!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 03-24-2009, 10:36 PM

We are deep in snow today. So beautiful! I think March comes in like a lion and out like a lion. DH used snowshoes to bring water to the chickens this morning! Quite the blizzard we had. Here are a few pictures...

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...h/IMG_1156.jpg

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...h/IMG_1157.jpg

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...h/IMG_1167.jpg

About another baby. YES! We really want more but I have to take clomid to get pregnant. I talked to my Dr about it at my pp visit and she said that clomid usually dries your milk up so we will have to plan accordingly. I would like to BF Fiona for two years but I also worry that it will be even more difficult to get pregnant the longer we wait. It's a lot to think about.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 03-24-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I feel pretty bonded to my baby, but I, too, have a hard time connecting THIS baby to my pregnancy. It's like, I was pregnant-- I vaguely remember-- about a millin years ago-- and now I have this baby. Maybe part of it is my desire to block out memories of the birth. Thinking about the birth, even though it was a "great" at home, vaginal birth, still make me want to cry. Plus, much of my pregnancy was pretty miserable.
That's me too. I've actually bonded a bit more intensely with this babe than I did initially with Guinevere (because of fear/caution after Guinevere was born -- I didn't trust myself totally at first, and she seemed sooooo fragile to me? Something. I loved her enormously but the bonding feeling was more gradual. Anyway), but I had a more intense feeling of connection while pregnant with Guinevere than with Eowyn.

But I think that's because back then I didn't have a toddler already so it was a more intimate feeling of connection and bonding during pregnancy. This time I was very focused on the child already here, if that makes sense, so being pregnant was more about not being able to do the things I wanted to do, and the physical discomforts.

Anyway. This was our last pregnancy. My husband is getting a vasectomy, assuming we can afford whatever insurance doesn't cover (thankfully it covers the bulk of it but we don't yet have an exact figure). And if not, then we'll be doing FAM and using barrier methods. We're done. It's bittersweet but for the best. I'm old and this pregnancy was, for the most part, miserable. The labor was nearly as long as my first, and the birth itself was excruciating.

The baby is amazing and totally worth it, so I am treasuring this time, as it passes all too soon.

I don't regret having gone through this for Eowyn, and the timing was as good as it could be I think in relation to Guinevere (she'll be three in early April), so they can be playmates as Eowyn grows, but Guinevere's old enough to not need me as intensely right now. I honestly cannot fathom wanting to be pregnant again right now. Y'all are some brave mamas.

AKislandgirl, it took us years to get pregnant with Guinevere. It took a month and a half to get pregnant with Eowyn. I have no experience with Clomid, but I do know that for some people your body can change quite a bit from the experience and you may find it much easier to get pregnant the second go around.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 03-25-2009, 01:21 AM

*waves* to all the Mamas. I havn't checked in in forever!!!

Linus is almost two months old... 8 weeks tomorrow. Growing like a weed... he was up 4.5 pounds from his birthweight last week at 7 weeks old. He is such a love. Smiles for miles and a very easygoing personality. As long as he is fed and warm he is content (but if he is not... watch out! He has a set of lungs that let you know it )

re: Wanting another baby... we havn't even dtd yet so it's not on our radar at all. We don't use any form of birth control (nor do we actively try...) so what will be will be when the time comes. T and L are 29 months apart and I can't really fathom them any closer... but I know if they were we'd adjust somehow (I just can't seem to wrap my head around it ) I think it's very likely I'll get pregnant again once breastfeeding allows my cycle to come back (but that wasn't until after 12 months with T and this time I am tandem!) but I've had multiple miscarriages so I don't take it for granted that I'll get another full term baby. We're definitely open to it though

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
Old 03-25-2009, 11:14 PM

To you mamas worried about having a toddler and a newborn, all 3 of us snuggle sometimes. It's really not so bad! Daddy helps, too.

I've already left Coen a few times. I don't have a pump but I hand expressed a few bottles and took him and a bottle to my parents' house to make sure he would take one, and he did great! We went to see Watchmen the day it came out. I still wouldn't leave hi8m with anyone but her. It was so nice to get out, and I did really well (no panic, no sneaking out to call home...).
Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 PM

took the baby for a wt check today: 13lb, 12oz!! (9lb 4oz at birth) dang. knew he was getting heavy, but wow. go boobies!

i should have gotten on the scale too-wonder how much i've lost and whether there's any correllation with his wt.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
Old 03-26-2009, 08:02 PM

I weighed DD yesterday...she is 9 lbs 8 ounces at 8 weeks old...I couldn't imagine giving birth to a baby this size!!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 03-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Hooray babies! They grow so fast, its incredible.

As for another baby--its crossed my mind. Not so much in terms of wanting to be pregnant again, but thinking about spacing them and how many I'd like eventually and where we'll be living when the time comes for another. I don't want Aubrey to be an only child, but at the same time I can't imagine managing two little humans at the same time. I guess that skill comes with experience. To you guys with more than one-- you're amazing!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:24 PM

Hi ladies! I'm so excited I get to go on the computer for "fun" purposes!!

Sam is a little over 6 weeks and we're doing fine. I alternate between wanting him to be more independent (I know, I'm crazy-he's just a baby!) and hoping he'll stay small forever. He's gained almost 2 lbs since birth and atleast one inch. He smiles more now and he rolled over the other day but hasn't done it again. I'm exclusively breastfeeding but have been able to pump a few times. I hate pumping, it hurts and I don't get the same amount of milk from both sides. But I need to get a job so I'm trying to build up some extra milk so I can go on interviews to get a job! I'm hoping DH's work picks up so that I won't need to get a full-time job.

I would love to have some more kids but I don't know how we could manage it! Taking care of DH's dad and the baby is hard enough...assuming his dad lives longer, I don't know how to manage fil, toddler AND baby! You ladies with more than one child rock!!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:33 PM

Delia is 6 wks today. We have our last mw appt today *sniff*. It's weird I'm going to miss the appointments although I guess I did spend the better part of a year with the mw. It was a great way to get advice and info now I'm flying solo again.

I'm pretty sure Delia is up a couple inches and at least 4lbs from birth weight. She still wakes around 3am for like an hour but swaddling has gotten me some longer stretches of sleep. Although I'm not sleeping in the same bed as dh these days. It's just easier to sleep in a separate bed with just the baby. Everyone gets more sleep that way.

I'm going back to the gym this weekend wish me luck. I'm going to start some Yoga on the Wii too lol.
How's everyone else doing? How do we keep chatting when the DDC closes?

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 04-02-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
I'm going back to the gym this weekend wish me luck. I'm going to start some Yoga on the Wii too lol.
I do yoga on Wii fit. That's also how I weigh Coen
Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 AM

Royce and I are doing well. He's now 10.5 weeks old and just adorable! He's a lot noisier - lots of squeals and coos. And sometimes if he's really smiling he'll let out a little squeal. It's pretty darn cute! He's getting big too, but I haven't had him weighed in a couple of weeks. I'll probably weigh him again when he hits the 3 month mark (which is quickly approaching!).

As for me, we attempted to dtd for the first time a few days ago and it didn't go well. I'm still sore!! : How is that possible? I'm beginning to worry about this. Is it normal to still be sore at 10 weeks pp?

I also need to start getting more active. And now that the weather is getting nicer I don't have that excuse any more!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM

We slept last night! For the last week, we have not been sleeping at night. It started with Owyn getting a cold and coughing all night and just continued all week. I could not figure out what was going on. She acted sleepy... she would yawn constantly and doze off, but wake back up screaming. DH and I were seriously about to lose it. I just needed one good night to catch up, but we weren't getting it.

Finally, I think I figured out what was going on. I started back to school this week and when she's been with the babysitter she is eating 4 ounces (usually), but for some reason my supply seems to have decreased. I figured this out when I was pumping and could only get about 2 1/2 oz. I was pumping 4 oz... until she started nursing on one side at a time about a week and a half ago. Would that decrease my supply? I'm thinking it was either that, or more likely while she was coughing so much she wasn't eating as much. She wouldn't empty a breast for 3 days. She just didn't have much of an appetite because she was feeling crappy. Well, for whatever reason, I'm not getting as much milk. So, last night we went back to nursing on both sides and she slept for 4 hour stretches! I feel so refreshed!

So, we're going to keep nursing on both sides and I'm going to add a pumping session back in during the day and see if I can get my supply back up. For now, though, I'm just so happy we got some sleep! My poor baby has just been so cranky this week and I feel so bad, she was hungry! She is in such a good mood this morning, though. She needed a good night's sleep too!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 04-02-2009, 01:14 PM

Yes, sleeping for a 3-4 hour stretch makes the biggest difference. We also had one cranky baby here for a day or so and we were both beginning to lose it. Then, for no apparent reason, she settled down and slept nearly 4 hours.

My main concern is still whether she's getting enough to eat. I'm always concerned about whether I'm producing enough but lately I'm worried about the fact that she spits up a lot. Sometimes she'll appear to vomit so much that I wonder how much was actually ingested.

She doesn't scream or cry when she spits up but could it still be an intolerance to something -- or, like some have said, just a laundry issue?

I need to get the Wii Fit piece. I'd love to weigh her more frequently -- and mama needs to get her butt moving. I have to lose 12 more pounds and it doesn't seem to be falling off on its own just yet!

Finally, what are your babe's doing? We're at 6.5 weeks and she's constantly staring at things and gets upset when we block her view. Her favorite place to look at is the stair banister. It must be the linear aspect of the railing and stair poles or something. The stairs are right behind one of the couches and she'll get mad when I take her off my shoulder after a feeding because she can't see them anymore. crazy.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Eliza just turned 6 weeks old today. Last night DH and I were lying in bed with her, just enjoying her presence, and she was staring at her daddy's face and she started "talking" to him!!! Ahhhhh it was the cutest thing! Her first time ever "talking" and it was to Daddy! Heehee, I'm in love with her. I'm just SO grateful to have her. She is my last baby and I just love holding her and cuddling her all day. It is terribly inconvenient trying to get everything done, and sometimes at the end of the day I really need a break, but mostly I love it.

Hmmm, talking, that's about all she's doing. She's growing, she got her baby acne about a week or so ago so we're still working through that, and her jaundice seems to be gone. She has grown a couple pounds and is able to hold her head up better. No rolling over or anything, yet.

As for me, still spotting. Even though AF held off for 14 months each time last time, this time I am not taking anything for granted and I am very nervous about getting pregnant again. Speaking of DTD, I am generally a little sore, and my libido is down from my normal, but I know from experience that sleep and losing weight will help with that. I have only lost 23 pounds since giving birth, with about 20-30 to go, so I am REALLY eager to lose more weight. I have had such a hard time getting enough sleep, and I know I have been holding onto weight for that reason. I am trying to get my metabolism up and running again.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 04-02-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz28 View Post
Finally, what are your babe's doing? We're at 6.5 weeks and she's constantly staring at things and gets upset when we block her view. Her favorite place to look at is the stair banister. It must be the linear aspect of the railing and stair poles or something. The stairs are right behind one of the couches and she'll get mad when I take her off my shoulder after a feeding because she can't see them anymore. crazy.
That's funny. Aubrey really likes something under the desk where I sit to pump, but I don't know what. She also likes to stare into the light. Hmm. She likes to make faces at Daddy. That's about it!

Nillarilla, i know what you mean. I'm going to miss my midwife too--I can't see them for my regular checkups b/c of insurance issues. I seriously cried the last time I was there because I feel so bonded to her.

Quote:
How do we keep chatting when the DDC closes?
I guess in the Breastfeeding and Life with a Babe forums? That's where I find myself looking... But I'm really going to miss the DDC. Its been such a support for me!

Mal85, probably just going back to school decreased your supply. I'm concerned about oversupply but my midwife said not to worry about it too much b/c it will go down when I go back to work. Same sort of thing, maybe? But it sounds like you've got a good plan. I'm hoping to only have to pump once mid-day when I go back. I really don't want to have to do it more than that. Or explode.

Gillian and LTB, I know what you all mean about DTD. We did it about 4 wks pp and it just didn't work for me. Still not really working for me, but that's all in my brain, I think. Maybe the prolactin? I'm just not in the mood!

Good to hear all the babies are doing well and growing!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:51 PM

How do you find time to DTD?? I was very lucky that my recovery was actually very easy and physically, I was fine in 4 days. And two weeks later, I weighed less than before I got PG.

But my drive is very slow to come back. The mind is willing but my body is like, huh, DTD, what's that? If I wait until my body is ready, it's time to nurse or I'm so tired, I"m falling asleep.

I may have an opportunity to go back to my old job. I'm a little nervous because I don't know how to manage that!! My commute is about an hour each way and I'm nervous about maintaining my supply. Plus DH works from home and while he is totally supportive of me going back to work, Sam is still settling into his routine. I am hoping my mom will be able to help a couple of days - we don't have money to hire a babysitter or put him in daycare.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:44 PM

So funny how babies have their thing to stare at! Makenna stares at the lamp and the bookcase all the time from the couch. DH always takes her over to the bookcase and reads the titles of the books to her.

Makenna is 9 weeks today. Wow time flies! She is becoming so much more aware now. Her eyes follow me across the room and she actually looks at things now...like her bouncy seat. It has moving animals and lights right in front of her face but she would always be oblivious to them and just stare at something to the left or right of her...now she watches them and smiles. Still waiting for a laugh though!

We've only DTD twice bc I got my iud at 7 weeks pp and then coulnd't do it for 2 weeks. Yesterday was 2 weeks...unfortunately I have a lot of spotting from it still but I guess I'm good try it out now? I second the notion of not knowing when to find time. Or when she is asleep I feel rushed like she is going to wake up and cry at any moment.

Cindy

Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 PM

If Delia slept then maybe I could dtd but she's awake every evening when ds is sleeping. By the time she finally goes down I'm exhausted. I have the urge though but sleeping in separate beds makes touch time rare.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 PM

We are back to our old DTD schedule of every 1-3 days depending on how much time or energy we have !

Alena loves to look at the lights in the hallway (contrasting colors/shapes) and the plants in the windows.

She will be 7 weeks on Sunday: She smiles and squeals/giggles now-it is so cute!

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:23 AM

I'm enjoying the last few days of maternity leave here. I start back to work part time (every other day) on Tuesday. So I'm desperately trying to stop time and enjoy every minute, despite the mounds of laundry. I'm nervous too, about going back. Dh stays with the boys, so that makes it easier, but I still really miss them. Also slightly nervous about pumping again. Its only 8 wks til school's out for summer, and I don't want to lose any supply in the mean time.

Milo is 9 wks and all smiles when he is awake, cooing in response to soft voices. It brings tears to my eyes every time, I love him so much. His staring favorite is still the twinkle lights over the nursing chair. We have his check up on Monday and I'm anxious to see how much he has grown. He seems so much bigger, but I haven't weighed him yet.

I'm feeling great, but still 12lbs up. Of course the bag of Skittles I'm eating my way thru isn't helping. Maybe less snacking when I'm at work and more time outside will help. Do you all like your Wii? We've never done video games before, but I'm thinking it might be a fun way to exercise when the weather is nasty (which seems to have been FORVER here, there is still snow on the ground!!!).

We DTD once, and it was a lot more enjoyable than I thought it might be, but no alone time since then that I haven't been fast asleep.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Happy 2 month birthday to my little guy Lucius. It's so hard to believe it!

He's so interested in the mobile I put up in his pack n play. He's also starting to coo and make sweet little noises sometimes when I talk to him.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:16 AM

Owyn is finally starting to smile on purpose. Usually first thing in the morning when she wakes up. She also loves getting her diaper changed and always smiles at the mobile I have hanging above her changing table. Bath time is her favorite time right now. She cracks me up. When I wash her face, she licks the wash rag! And she fusses when I take it away, she likes the water apparently!

I'm a big swimmer and was swimming on my own at about 2 years old, been a fish ever since. So I'm really anxious to get her in the pool. There's a nice indoor, heated pool about 25 minutes away. I've thought about taking her there, but she doesn't have a swim suit and I'm having a heck of a time finding one small enough for her!

Anyway, I sometimes get a coo out of her, but I don't think she realizes she does it. She'll be 5 weeks old on Sunday. Went back to school this week... only 4 weeks to go (one week is finals week so I won't be gone as much). I received my graduation info in the mail the other day. I kind of forgot about graduating in May what with the baby being born and all... school has kind of been on the back burner. But when I got that info I did a happy jig, remembering that yes I will finally be done with school, no longer a student!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:27 PM

Fiona just had her 2 month check up. She's doing great. She's still small but gaining weight well. She's 9 pounds, 10 ounces now (6.2 when we left the hospital) and about the 25% for weight. Our Dr said she expects her to always be towards that end of the scale. Our petite little girl!

We had a really great discussion about vaccines and our Dr is really supportive of our decision to delay/selectively vaccinate. We told her we were going back and forth about rotavirus and after discussing it she said she didn't reccomend it for Fiona and she hadn't given it to her own son! (ebf babies that aren't in daycare) I'm just so happy to have a Dr who is so supportive and on the same page as us. We did do the DTaP as pertussis seems to go around here a lot and next month we are going to to the Pc. Those are the only two we are doing for now.

Fiona is so much fun! Lots of cooing and smiles. She loves to look at herself in the mirror and have a good chat! So cute. She doesn't sleep well during the day unless she is being held. I got a new wrap which has been a life saver. She loves it and will easily sleep for 3+ hours at a time while I wear her around the house.

No DTD here. we tried the other day and she woke up. I'm a little gun shy I guess. Maybe we can try again soon.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 04-03-2009, 09:48 PM

AKIsland: What a gorgeous wrap! I have something similar my SIL cut for me (just plain stretchy fabric) but I have been considering buying a Moby bc I think it is wider than mine...these are so much cooler!

Mal: Congrats on the upcoming graduation. So funny you forgot!

I just packed up all my maternity clothes. Made me a wee bit sad. I really am looking forward to doing it all again. I'm even considering a move out of state so I can stay home when #2 comes.

I booked tickets this morning to Kauai for the middle of may. Makenna will be 3.5 months and I will be returning to work June 1st. Figured I should try and get in a vacation while I still have the time. Hopefully DH and I will still be able to relax and enjoy ourselves.

Cindy

Old 04-04-2009, 01:38 AM

Coen is 10.6 pounds (according to Wii Fit). His brother was FOUR pounds heavier at this age!
Mal - all she really needs is a swim diaper, right? My parents bought a baby doll with a swimsuit because they couldn't find one small enough for me, either. I never outgrew size 1 diapers (skinny and potty trained young) so they had to special order my underwear too!
DTD - we have done it sooo much since DH is no longer on 3rd shift. Usually a hurried one before bed when both boys are asleep, but we've found that naptime is great for taking our time, if we can get over doing it in the daylight! There's one perk to him losing his job, eh?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Mal - I've taken Royce swimming and we used a Bummis swim diaper. Although Royce is a bit bigger than Owyn, but it should still work. Royce seemed interested in the experience - he didn't smile but he studied everything and was kicking his legs.

Cindy - Oh I'm so jealous of your vacation plans! As I type this it's snowing out here :

User Tag List