Chatting in Spring! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 225 Old 05-22-2009, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else's little one started chewing on your nipples? OW. Eowyn's started chomping down hard. Not fun....

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#182 of 225 Old 05-22-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
Anyone else's little one started chewing on your nipples? OW. Eowyn's started chomping down hard. Not fun....
Count us in on that too. He's cutting a tooth it looks like already... which really sucks in the biting down department :

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#183 of 225 Old 05-23-2009, 01:11 AM

Fiona has a cold... such a bummer. She is not a happy camper and either are we! I hope this passes quickly. Any good tips or words of wisdom?!

Mal... gotta tell the parents about the rolling over! I think I'd be more upset about not being told then about missing the first roll over.

Back to the cranky girl... daddy is going to tag me as it again any moment.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#184 of 225 Old 05-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Mal - How exciting that Owyn rolled over! Royce will roll over in bed at night (in his sleep I guess?), but during play time he doesn't. Oh, and I think you should tell the parents, they should know the exciting news

Nighten - Ouch! Royce isn't doing that. However, just the other day he popped off and I wasn't paying attention and then he latched back on but not on my nipple! It pinched the skin next to my nipple and really hurt! He also will grab the nipple he's not nursing on if it's exposed - gotta keep it covered

AKislandgirl - I'm sorry about Fiona's cold. I don't have any tips for you though, we haven't had a cold yet 'knock on wood'.

As for me and Royce - his amazing 6.5 hour stretch night, was followed by a super crappy night :. It was kind of cold in the room though, so maybe that's why.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#185 of 225 Old 05-23-2009, 09:42 PM

I did it! I put Sam in a back carry today!! DH helped me but I was able to do the dishes, make fil brunch and do some weeding!!! DS was unhappy at first because we were struggling to get him positioned properly but as soon as I started moving, he fell asleep! It was great!!! I'm not ready to get him on my back on my own but it was really nice to have him in a different position so I could get stuff done without having to lug the bouncer.

He hasn't started chewing on my nipples. Every now and then he will experiment with different positions on the breast and chomp on a sensitive area but I don't think he is teething yet...
#186 of 225 Old 05-23-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kssinca View Post
I did it! I put Sam in a back carry today!! DH helped me but I was able to do the dishes, make fil brunch and do some weeding!!! DS was unhappy at first because we were struggling to get him positioned properly but as soon as I started moving, he fell asleep! It was great!!! I'm not ready to get him on my back on my own but it was really nice to have him in a different position so I could get stuff done without having to lug the bouncer.

He hasn't started chewing on my nipples. Every now and then he will experiment with different positions on the breast and chomp on a sensitive area but I don't think he is teething yet...
in what? ergo? wrap? very cool!

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#187 of 225 Old 05-23-2009, 10:42 PM

Mal- Ramsey has been rolling from front to back this week too! He also turned 3 months this week. yay for Owyn too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kssinca View Post
I second the 'in what'? I was carrying Ramsey in the rucksack in the wrap as a newborn, but stopped about a month ago because he was resisting it. I do have a mei tai too though.

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#188 of 225 Old 05-23-2009, 11:07 PM

We've been doing back carries here since L was two weeks old... first in the mei tai, and then in wraps too. We've started doing more rebozo carries with shortie wraps, but we love our back carries for getting stuff done.

YAY for babywearing... I don't know how my house would function without it

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#189 of 225 Old 05-23-2009, 11:36 PM

Alison - I wish I were in Belleville still so you could show me how to do it! I attempted a back carry the other day (in my wrap), and it was an awful mess. I really need to work on it!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#190 of 225 Old 05-23-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
Alison - I wish I were in Belleville still so you could show me how to do it! I attempted a back carry the other day (in my wrap), and it was an awful mess. I really need to work on it!
Next time you come to visit your parents you know how to find me

Alison
#191 of 225 Old 05-24-2009, 02:11 PM

I've gone back to the Hotsling -- I like how it's not as bulky (or hot) as the Ergo with insert. Éowyn still isn't wild about the cradle carry, but the front/tailor style works great!

Haven't tried the mei tai in awhile....

#192 of 225 Old 05-24-2009, 02:24 PM

I have been wearing my ring sling a lot lately. I hated it at first but now that Makenna can tolerate sitting up in it (supported) it works out better. I especially like that I can put a toy in there with her for her to hold and eat and it won't drop on the floor every two seconds.

My husband is wearing DD is the moby for the first time right now. It's cute. And a little silly looking. :-)

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#193 of 225 Old 05-24-2009, 05:05 PM

I miss my pouch, it disappered from the face of the earth.

How exciting about the rolling over! Junie does it, but not exactly on purpose, although it happens a lot. sometimes it pisses her off.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#194 of 225 Old 05-24-2009, 07:13 PM

We've been using our mei tai when we're out and about. She merely tolerates it when she's awake but sleeps in it pretty well. Haven't tried the Moby in a while. It really used to piss her off because I'm not so great at it yet. She gets hot in no matter what I use, though.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#195 of 225 Old 05-24-2009, 10:43 PM

Ooh, babywearing updates. :

We've used our stretchy wrap and pouches (hotslings and homemada) since the first week- I used to carry Ramsey facing in upright in the wrap, but he won't handle it now unless seriously exhausted, so I wear him facing out. He loves to watch things but doesn't like it for too long. The hotsling though is our saving grace- I bring it everywhere and whenever he's overstimulated or overtired he goes in it and after much bouncing will fall asleep. I love how upright he can start out in it- able to see and then drift off and I can nudge him down a bit.

I'm STILL trying to love the ring slings; I'm borrowing a Maya right now and use it for the kangaroo carry, but that's it. I can't put him to sleep as easy in it because you can't have his head as high because of the rings. The pouch just works better.

We also have a woven wrap and a babyhawk mei tai, but I'm thinking he won't like facing in on that yet. Love my carriers! He's fussy though, and I usually have to bring more than one because how he feels dictates which carrier we use.

Instead of improving, Ramsey's gotten worse with his refusing to nurse. When we're out he would sometimes refuse my right side, then it was always my right side. It becomes a mess; he'll either flat out refuse or suck until the letdown and then refuse and then he freaks out and we have milk everywhere, spraying breasts and a livid baby. NOW he's started to refuse to nurse at all when we're out; except quick sips that end in frustration and hunger. I'm getting frusterated. It was supposed to be related to his muscles/head tilt but that's supposed to be getting better...(chiro) but the nursing is not. :

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#196 of 225 Old 05-25-2009, 12:40 AM

Oh man, that's frustrating! Anthony only sips when we're out and about too usually. Not sure if it's because I'm more modest about it then-maybe he doesn't like my shirt down so far?

Babywearing: I've been using the Ergo for a long time now. I just froggy his legs up. I've tried spreading his legs out so he's straddling me, but he doesn't seem flexible enough for that yet, his hips seem too tight to go out that far. Is that normal? He's simply too heavy right now for the sling. I think he'll be ok in it once he's got the trunk control for a hip carry, but in front (either sitting facing out or froggy-legged facing in) he makes my shoulder hurt. He's 20lb, 8oz as of last week. I need to get another wrap. The one I have that I made with DS1 is too short (I was skinnier when I made it, I guess).

#197 of 225 Old 05-25-2009, 01:23 AM

I haven't used the pouch lately because she got so big so fast. I know I'll use it again when she can sit better and we can do the hip cradle. I use the mei tai out and about. She loves it and it always settles her right down. I use my woven wrap around the house though. I can't get her on the back in either the mei tai or the wrap without much screaming and distress. So I stopped trying. I'm debating on getting a Beco butterfly because of the insert you can put them in while in a chair and then get them on the back. I know how to do the back carries she just hates the tying process and the lift over the head. I've tried the hip scoot but can't get her high enough with that.

My nipple has been chomped a few times now. She's also started chomping her fingers and she had a red cheek the other day. I think we may have some teething happening.

She loves to stand these days. I can't make her sit on the first try ever anymore. No rolling all the way yet. She still gets stuck partway.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#198 of 225 Old 05-25-2009, 05:17 PM

Well Fiona and I still have colds but she is almost over hers. It's not fun to see your baby sick. I'll be glad when she (and I!) are completely over this.

She has come close to rolling over a couple of times but is really not that into it. She's content to stay on her back. We don't do much tummy time because she hates it. I figure that lying on my stomach and holding her head up and looking around while be carried is good excercise so I'm not pushing it.

We mostly use this stretchy moby style wrap that I got on etsy. I really love it. Fiona sleeps in it quite often. We also have an ergo which I think will be great as she gets a little heavier. We have the leg issue too... seems too much for her to spread her legs around me for now. After reading these posts I'm anxious to try a back carry. I'll let you know how it goes!

I put an updated picture in my sig... for the life of me I don't know why it won't let me do it as a link. Whatever. I've given up trying!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#199 of 225 Old 05-25-2009, 05:49 PM

Fiona is so cute, hope she feels better soon.

I think I am going ot have to give in soon and buy a new pouch. DH won't like it, and hopefully our bank account wil allow it. LOL. But that child needs to be held constantly and I can not get anything done. She even needs to sleep in your arms during the day. At night she will sleep in the bed and it's fine. I can do things at night but then i get exhausted from lack of sleep.

This morning i woke up holding her in my arms, her little body was pressed up against mine and her face was resting on my breast with a hand on either side. so freaking cute.

apparently she is sick of dh holding her. I swear I am just not used to such a needy baby.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#200 of 225 Old 05-25-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaha View Post
Oh man, that's frustrating! Anthony only sips when we're out and about too usually. Not sure if it's because I'm more modest about it then-maybe he doesn't like my shirt down so far?

Babywearing: I've been using the Ergo for a long time now. I just froggy his legs up. I've tried spreading his legs out so he's straddling me, but he doesn't seem flexible enough for that yet, his hips seem too tight to go out that far. Is that normal? He's simply too heavy right now for the sling. I think he'll be ok in it once he's got the trunk control for a hip carry, but in front (either sitting facing out or froggy-legged facing in) he makes my shoulder hurt. He's 20lb, 8oz as of last week. I need to get another wrap. The one I have that I made with DS1 is too short (I was skinnier when I made it, I guess).
I'm not sure how it is working for you, but we're still using the infant insert in the Ergo. Does Anthony slip down in it, with his legs froggy-style? I would love to see a picture if you have one. I'm tired of the infant insert but not confident that Eowyn wouldn't slide down too far without it. ETA I think it's normal for them to not be flexible enough yet to straddle.

Try opening the sling up on your shoulder as far as it will go -- that can help with the weight pulling on you maybe?

#201 of 225 Old 05-25-2009, 07:50 PM

Wow, its so nice to read the baby updates! Aubrey is pretty high-needs, but we're doing pretty well. She's started blowing spit bubbles and thinks that's really funny. Also started growling. Thanks Daddy. She's still small--only 11.5 lbs. at 14 weeks, but growing steadily. So things are pretty good overall.

We're having some babywearing challenges because Aubrey is so squirmy. She gets frustrated easily because she feels confined, so we alternate between the ring sling when she's sleepy and one of those dangly-leg carriers when she wants to dance. I don't care for it but she loves it....

Good to hear everyone's surviving these first months! For a while I wasn't sure I would.

#202 of 225 Old 05-25-2009, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Neat to read all the babywearing posts ... we've used the Ergo exclusively from the beginning. We never had the insert, just used a fleece blanket folded to achieve the same affect. Esmé also sits in it froggy-style now. She does straddle me, but when she does that she wants to be a bit higher up, so I support her with one hand in the carrier. Sounds complicated, but it's not, honest. We love our Ergo, but it's been too hot lately, so we've done our Ergo walk earlier in the morning, and then a stroller walk in the afternoon. It was her first time in a stroller two days ago, and she's enjoying it. She's still too small to even consider a back carry by myself ... she's about 12 pounds at 1 week shy of 4 months. Maybe I'll try it when DP is around. She really loves looking around, so I think she'll like the back carry.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#203 of 225 Old 05-25-2009, 09:16 PM

Hey Starling: Our little ones are still around the same size. I weighed DD last week and she was 12 lbs 3 ounces at 16 weeks. I was suprised she hadn't even gained a whole lbs since the last time I weighed her almost a month ago. I guess she is slowing down? She eats plenty and has plenty of little rolls and is outgrowing her 0-3 mos clothes in length.

Anyone have their little ones get upset when they drink coffee/caffeine? I had a cup of coffee yesterday and a latte today and DD has been nursing for a few minutes then crying and refusing the boob but downing a bottle of formula. She's never done this before. Nursed fine this morning before the latte. Normally I don't drink coffee or get decaf lattes but they were out of decaf today and hubby made a pot yesterday for the first time in forever. Not sure what else could be upsetting her all the sudden?

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#204 of 225 Old 05-25-2009, 09:41 PM

Yesterday, we went to visit our friends who just had a baby on May 5th. What a tiny little guy. He was a whole pound bigger than Owyn was at birth, but he looks sooooo tiny compared to her! I just can't believe how much she has grown. I could really tell when comparing her to a brand new baby. That tiny baby stage just doesn't last long enough...

I'm finally calling the doc tomorrow to make her a baby check up appt. We are a month behind. I was debating on vaccinations, so I put it off. I think we finally made a decision in that department, at least for now. And something is up with her lately. Fighting the breast, not nursing laying down at night anymore. I did some research and I'm thinking it's either her ears bothering her or we have some reflux going on... The symptoms are fitting with reflux which really sucks. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to change my diet, but we may have to. I am gonna have him look at her ears to rule it out.

She is our spit up queen, which also leads me to believe we could have some reflux going on. I mean projectile and it happens all. the. time. Doesn't matter how long it's been since she ate. She's never acted like it bothered her before, but just in the last week she's started this fighting thing. I stopped laying her flat, like ever and it seems to be helping. I used to lay her across my lap to get the breast out and that's when she would start crying. So, now I'm keeping her sitting up and she doesn't fight it anymore. She's also elevated in bed now and is doing okay with nursing. It's a weird position for me to get into to be able to nurse her while she is still laying down, but better than having to sit up and nurse her.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#205 of 225 Old 05-26-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
I'm not sure how it is working for you, but we're still using the infant insert in the Ergo. Does Anthony slip down in it, with his legs froggy-style? I would love to see a picture if you have one. I'm tired of the infant insert but not confident that Eowyn wouldn't slide down too far without it. ETA I think it's normal for them to not be flexible enough yet to straddle.

Try opening the sling up on your shoulder as far as it will go -- that can help with the weight pulling on you maybe?
Hm. The only pics of him in the ergo are close-ups of his sweet face (usually sleeping) and one that DH took looking down at us from the top of a ferris wheel. I'll have DD take one tomorrow. Sometimes one of his feet will slide down under the waist strap, but as long as it's tight enough that doesn't happen. I never had an infant insert, so I'm not sure how that would have changed things.

#206 of 225 Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 AM

I read here on MDC that in Africa they straddle their babies across their backs as soon as their umbilical cords fall off and that it's commonly thought to be good for their hips.
That was just what I wanted to hear! I just kind of "mind over matter" got him to straddle my torso and he did great! He is very big though, and growing out of 9 month clothes at 3 months! At first he got a little stiff, I think, and didn't last as long, but he got used to it quickly. I never liked the infant insert, so I'm really happy that he fits like this. I can even put him on my back! He doesn't really like it as much though.

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#207 of 225 Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enudely View Post
I read here on MDC that in Africa they straddle their babies across their backs as soon as their umbilical cords fall off and that it's commonly thought to be good for their hips.
That was just what I wanted to hear! I just kind of "mind over matter" got him to straddle my torso and he did great! He is very big though, and growing out of 9 month clothes at 3 months! At first he got a little stiff, I think, and didn't last as long, but he got used to it quickly. I never liked the infant insert, so I'm really happy that he fits like this. I can even put him on my back! He doesn't really like it as much though.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a ginormous babe! The 9mos onsies are getting a little tight on Anthony too. I may try the straddle again-I'd like to try a back carry too, but worry that he's still a little too bobbly-heady.

#208 of 225 Old 05-26-2009, 01:27 PM

I dug out my Ergo last week and was pleasantly surprised that it worked great. Aurora is 15 weeks old now and I just pop her over my head, slide her down my back, spread her legs and...all done, she fits great. She slept through all my barn chores and was doing great.

She's about 11.5 pounds, max and long...I'll measure her when she wakes up.

I also used it to wear her, happily awake, all around the flea market.

I'm so happy to be able to do a quick back carry with her. When a calf escapes or some other "emergency" happens, it's great to be able to take her along, yet out of the way, and do it quickly.

She's teething already, for about a week and a half now. Not severe teething yet, but the watery drool, the gnawing, etc. She's strong as the dickens, but is so laid back. She rolls halfway sometimes, but just doesn't seem in any rush to try to go further. She can commando crawl a little ways, and always does if you put her on her belly.

We picked up a Boppy papasan bouncy seat at the flea market and she thinks it's really great. The toy bar is missing, thankfully. So, instead of staring at things 8" from her face, she watches what we're doing. It's really an unnecessary gadget, but she enjoys being inclined rather than flat out and it lets her see us better if we want to not be holding/wearing her for a little bit.

We never had any baby gadgets with DS. He wouldn't have tolerated them anyway. He also never had any interest in baby toys....at least not when he was a baby. (He loves them now, figures. ) Aurora is the opposite, she loves all that stuff. We still don't have it, but if you show it to her in the store, she's fascinated. I did buy her the Sophie Giraffe, but it's lost in the house somewhere. Any other suggestions on safe/alternative toys? I have one wooden rattle and an Under the Nile cotton jester.

I'll post some pics shortly.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#209 of 225 Old 05-26-2009, 01:32 PM

I think Sophie is sort of a rip off at $20 something for it but my mom bought us one when she was out a couple weeks ago and sure enough it goes every where with us now and usually sits in the sling with makenna.

Cindy

#210 of 225 Old 05-26-2009, 02:17 PM

I think we're used to the prices of China-made products and that something made safely in a place where workers are compensated fairly really throws us off. We're used to something being priced so low, yet if everyone was paid correctly and factories were clean and ingredients definitely safe, then there is no way it could priced so low. I think Sophie is "expensive", but I remind myself that that's the way it should be and that the Chinese stuff has really skewed my views.

Often, I think about history's lessons of having less, buying carefully and keeping a long time, etc. As an example, a pair of shoes used to cost 2 weeks pay, according to my economics prof back in the day.

Just a tangent....having just watched DH's coworkers' plastic-laden, junk food filled family and realized just what a different world I live in and how very far from mainstream I am, despite seeming pretty normal to myself. :LOL

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page