Where are you hoping to birth this baby? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2008, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would really love to have a homebirth. However, my DH is not comfortable with that so we have a midwife that works at a birthing center. It is a happy medium I suppose.

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 01:59 AM

This time around I hope to do a VBAC at the hospital with my wonderful midwife. With my first, I went with a planned home birth, however certain circumstances brought be to the hospital after 5 hours of pushing. I had a c-section and a healthy baby, yay! Our hospital just did a full maternity addition with private, single stay rooms. I sooooo hope I can do this naturally because I don't want to deal with the recovery from surgery with a newborn and toddler. Good luck to all the moms planning a home birth...its an awesome and comforting experience!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:21 PM

Well, my first was born in water in her bedroom (at home), and my second was born in water in the living room (at home), so I'm thinking perhaps this one will be in water in the kitchen?

Even though I'm a doula and attend lots of hospital births, a hospital birth wouldn't feel right for my pregnancies. For my first two I had an extremely experienced midwife who happens to live 6 blocks away. Right now she has an apprentice who is a good friend of mine, so I'm thinking of offering she could use me as her first primary birth (under the supervision of the experienced midwife). I'm also interested in starting an apprenticeship in the future, so I'll probably manage much of my own care (with their supervision).

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
Old 06-06-2008, 10:11 AM

We want to have a homebirth with a midwife. And I would love to give birth in water.

I'm going to call the midwife today!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 AM

We are having a homebirth with a MW. We switched around 25 weeks from a hospital birth with a CNMW and doula.

I was feeling more and more nervous about the birth with the CNMW as the pregnancy progressed. All the ones I had seen in the practice were not much different IMO than OBs, the hospital had a very high epi and c-section rate (despite the practice of 17 MW), and the homelike rooms we saw on the tour didn't seem so homelike to me. A birthing center is not an option because I was not willing to travel all the way across the city during rush hour. The car ride is one of my biggest fears.

However, I never really considered a HB because I never thought DH would be on board.

Randomly, I rented The Business of Being Born on night and right after seeing it DH turned to me and said, if you want a homebirth I am totally on board with that. Before that I had read him a ton of information about natural birth in general, and during the film he kept saying, OMG, I am so glad you have been doing your research.

Meeting with our MW cinched it for him. It was the first time he had ever been asked how he was doing during the pregnancy, felt about the birth, etc. and he had been to EVERY apt. with the CNMW. We have both commented in the past couple of months at how much better our care is since we switched.

So, give your DH a chance. Present him with the information. Show him the BOBB, ask that he at least meet with a HB MW for you (my friend did this with her DH and that is what did it for him).

GL!

April, wife to Scott, mother to Lily (07/23/08) and furbaby Bella (6/21/04), and expecting baby #2 in February 2012. 

Old 06-06-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamillet View Post
Paige-I am guessing you are in TN--whereabouts? I am in knoxville.
Hey! I'm in Nashville. I moved back here from Knoxville while I was pregnant with my first so I could be near my mom.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:13 PM

We are planning on a home-birth with a midwife. Possibly a water birth. There is also a birth center about 30 minutes away if for some reason we can't do a home-birth.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:18 PM

I want a homebirth with a midwife but I'm not positive we can swing it so what we've discussed is go ahead & get an ob loacally & go there up until birth, but 'accidentally' have the baby at home. We're only thinking that because insurance will cover it & we're really low on funds like most people right now. I am discussing witht he midwife though to see if we can work something out. Wihs me luck. My first 2 were hospital births & I was not very informed so I did waht the dr wanted. Not this time.

Miranda~SAHM to Rhiannon(10), Arielle(8), & Harrison(3).

Married to my best  friend & expecting baby #4 in June 2013!

homeschool.gif,lactivist.gif,selectivevax.gif,intactivist.gif,homebirth.jpg,pos.gif,familybed1.gif,cd.gif

Old 06-06-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merebella View Post
When my parents asked what doctor I'm going to I told them that I'd be seeing a midwife at such and such place. My dad replied, "Oh, good. So what doctor will you see." He didn't get that the midwife does the whole deal... I think I'll be doing a lot of explaining!
LOL! My dad said the exact same thing when I was pregnant with DS. He never was 100% on-board with the homebirth/midwife thing, but at least he eventually stopped asking about my doctor!

We are planning a homebirth, just like with DS. We had a good experience, and I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. We are trying to move, though, so I don't think I can use the same midwife as with DS . I will probably at least start care with her, though, because I really, really like her. I have another midwife all picked out in our new location, though, so if we move I should be all set!

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:56 PM

I'm planning to have a hospital birth with a CNM--he's actually a male midwife! I was dubious, but all my LLL friends love him, and his office is literally 4 blocks from my house, so I met with him last week-- he's so great! We're definitely on the same page about the birth. He meets you at your house when you go into labor and you decide together when it's time to go to the hospital. Then he stays with you the entire time you're in labor so the nurses don't harass you about an IV,epi, etc. He has 3 children who were born by homebirth, but he only offers hospital births because we have an unfriendly local attitude toward homebirths and he is not the "underground" type. I was pretty eeked out about seeing a male midwife (kind of misses the whole point, eh?) but he is way more understanding about the birth I am seeking than my female OB I had for my first birth (before switching to a CNM) was!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:37 PM

I live on an island with no hospital, so homebirth is pretty much the norm. So, we'll have a homebirth with a midwife, I'll make sure to have a doula this time, and I'm also hoping to give birth in the water.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:49 PM

I'm wavering between a hospital waterbirth with midwives and a homebirth with midwives. Homebirth is "illegal" in my state, so that makes me a bit doubtful, but it's still a possibility. My other option is a midwife group that practices out of a hospital. They offer waterbirths and baby-friendly atmosphere, so it might be a good option.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
Old 06-07-2008, 09:17 PM

We will be having our 1st home birth and I am incredibly excited!

I just hope it's not snowing if we need to transfer because the hospitals are both 45 minutes away in good weather. That won't be fun!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:31 PM

Home...no question! Yarrow was a planned homebirth gone bad and I STILL am going to birth stay home...it will also be HBAC as Yarrow was a crash csection...anyone want to talk about how safe homebirth is, they can talk to me! We pretty much had the most dangerous complication you can have at a homebirth, a cord prolapse and everything was still fine!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 06-08-2008, 10:02 PM

Assuming that this pregnancy is a normal pregnancy like my 3 previous ones, I'm planning on a homebirth. If I can find a midwife that accepts my HMO which is through medicaid, than I'll have my delivery attended by a midwife. But if I can't then I'm going for an unattended homebirth with the hubby. I know I can do it cause I gave birth to my last 2 boys in the labor room without an OB present. They both showed up after the babies were born. I'm looking forward to this experience very much.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:53 PM

The hospital DS was born in was an incredible experience. Lots of supportive women around, family room with constant baby contact, middle of the night attentiveness...Of course, it's a forty minute drive into the city, but I kinda pushed the issue on my husband. I shall push again!! Relentless shrew that I am!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:11 AM

At home with the same midwife I had for my girls.

:
Old 06-09-2008, 01:39 PM

I am deciding b/t a hospital midwife and a homebirth midwife. I'm kind of having a hard time, though, b/c the local home and birth center midwives won't attend to VBAC's :

Mama to 3 little boys plus someone new in the new year!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 AM

so i heard that only two birth centers in the area have midwives that will still attend home births. And even though we live in the city, the places are outside of the city...BUT MY wonderful DH was talking to my friend and she is friends with a midwife at one of those centers that no longer does home births. She said she would call her personally and introduce us. She assures DH that this midwife will do a home birth for me. AHHH how nice to know people.

and I guess DH is warming up to the idea, he was hesitant at first.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:51 AM
luv

Trying to get hubby on board with a homebirth with midwife and doula.

First was in a hospital. It was OK. Could have been worse, could have been better. Looking forward to being with only family directly after this time.

-luv
Old 06-10-2008, 02:04 PM

We're hoping for a birth center-that's as crunchy as I could get DH to agree with I would love a homebirth, but it freaks him out. I'll take what I can get.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:14 AM

Im thinking the hospital. I had originally wanted to do a waterbirth, but since it has taken some long for me to get pregnant the Drs are treating it as a highrisk pregnancy so for right now Im going to plan on the hospital. If things had gone perfectly I would have wanted a waterbirth for sure, but I would rather just err on the side of caution!

Also I do want the epidual.. I have had such severe cramps and period pain the past 10 years ( the drs tell me its the same as going into labor every month) but without getting a baby at the end, ( but I have nothing to compare it to so who knows) that I just really want to minimize the pain! And i know there is going to be alot! Although the thought has crossed my mind that if I can handel it monthly I could do it one more time... so I will cross that path when i get there....
Old 06-12-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKA23 View Post

Also I do want the epidual.. I have had such severe cramps and period pain the past 10 years ( the drs tell me its the same as going into labor every month) but without getting a baby at the end, ( but I have nothing to compare it to so who knows) that I just really want to minimize the pain! And i know there is going to be alot! Although the thought has crossed my mind that if I can handel it monthly I could do it one more time... so I will cross that path when i get there....
I would still encourage you to research other pain control methods. I have two friends, one who was not allowed an epidural because of a fever and another whose didn't take, who later said they wished they'd better prepared themselves for that possibility.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Although the thought has crossed my mind that if I can handel it monthly I could do it one more time... so I will cross that path when i get there....
You are right on!

I, too, used to have horrible period cramps every month, to the point where I could not stand up and had to just curl up on the ground b/c it was so unbearable. Then, I had pitocin-induced labor with my twin pregnancy (which I've been told is twice as painful as natural labor) b/c I didn't know any better at the time, and it wasn't any worse than the cramps I used to get with my period. So, I too would recommend reconsidering the epidural! You can do it!

Mama to 3 little boys plus someone new in the new year!

Old 06-12-2008, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Having a trained attendant at my homebirth is illegal in my state, and I'm not wanting to plan a UC (I think UC is awesome, but I personally need the support of the midwife there, plus I needed O2 last time and want to have that available), so I'll be crossing state lines to birth at a rental house or a friend's house. Not totally decided yet.

My first was in a hospital because he was a preterm. Didn't do any pain meds, although I was tempted. My second was born at a "birth house" across state lines, and it was so much less painful than the hospital birth!!! The ability to be up and moving around with nothing attached to me was awesome. And the atmosphere felt a LOT more like home. I'm hoping for a waterbirth this time. Tried last time, but the tub wasn't filled quick enough.

Also, for those with skeptical DHs... Mine was the biggest skeptic, but I still talked him into an out-of-hospital birth with our first (which obviously we didn't get to do, but we had been planning to do it). DH is now very much pro-homebirth. His biggest issue was safety, and once the safety issue was addressed, especially after talking to the midwife, he was a lot more comfortable with the idea. Then after having a hospital birth and an out-of-hospital birth, he saw how much calmer everything was, how much less pain I was in, etc... It was just good all around. And the biggest thing that got him was the fact that the midwives practiced evidence based medicine more than the OBs did!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM

At home, just like the previous 8. (first was a hospital birth)

~Lisa,  wife of my beloved for 19 years hug.gif,  mama to 12 childrenjumpers.gifjumpers.gifjumpers.gifjumpers.gif and one on the way 1sttri.gif 

Homebirther, Homeschooler, Homesteader ~There's No Place Like HOME!~

Old 06-12-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an9elkatie View Post
You are right on!
I didn't know any better at the time, and it wasn't any worse than the cramps I used to get with my period. So, I too would recommend reconsidering the epidural! You can do it!

Thanks Katie! I definitely think I will look into it more!!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm a paramedic in a small mountain town with no hospital, and today really made me think about our birth plan ...
We delivered a baby this morning at the little clinic. That's not 'supposed' tp happen, although it does, often. We deliver a bunch of babies up here, either because mama waited until transport wasn't possible, or baby came in a hurry.
We have a local nurse who was a midwife, but can't practice legally here because we're too far from the nearest hospital (1-2 hr drive). So she's always called in for local births (in her capacity as 'nurse' ... midwifing on the sly).
Attending this one this morning... I wondered about maybe waiting 'until it's too late to transport' so that this lovely and experienced midwife can deliver our baby in the same fashion.
The births that I've attended with her are med free, and good for mama and babe (skin-to-skin contact right away, eating and drinking, moving around, letting the cord go pulseless before cutting ... etc). BUT if something were to go wrong ... it's a LONG way to special care. Even by helicopter.

So maybe we'll stick with our original plan and do a homebirth at my sister's place in the city.

Wow. That was a ramble. Apologies.

ETA: Baby is fine, by the way! He showed up at 11:42 after only an hour and a half of labour, and he is wee ... 5 lb 6 oz. We took him and mama down to the hospital this afternoon for observation.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!

User Tag List