Where are you hoping to birth this baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me I am hoping for a homebirth attended by a midwife. I have started asking around for some recommendations for a midiwfe. What are your plans?

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are planning a homebirth with a midwife.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:13 PM

the hospital. It's what I'm comfortable with, and I like my ob.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:14 PM

I have a hospital midwife that I love, but my first choice is a homebirth and I'm going to do everything I can to make that happen.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethshimon View Post
I have a hospital midwife that I love, but my first choice is a homebirth and I'm going to do everything I can to make that happen.
Excuse my ignorance, but can you explain a hospital midwife to me?

I'm currently planning to birth at the hospital, we have a small one with a nice, quiet maternity ward run like a birth clinic (private, baby room's in, etc). My first 2 were there, and I've been pleased so far. I like my OB fine, he's always followed my wishes, but I hate the long waits in the waiting room for the monthly appointments, and I'd really like to try a midwife this time. But I'm not quite ready to do the whole thing at home. I'd be interested in a hospital midwife if I was more familiar with the set up.

I'm also interested in hearing the awesome homebirth stories from those who have had them. I haven't ruled one out, but I have to admit I like the quiet day or 2 at the hospital after the birth...

Thanks, Amanda
Old 06-01-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but can you explain a hospital midwife to me?

In my case, it is a certified nurse midwife who provides the midwives model of care within a hospital setting. Mine is supportive of unmedicated birth and changing positions, committed to normal, vaginal birth, opposed to routine episiotomies, and do not push inducing. She is still somewhat constrained by certain hospital policies, although she has said that she has no problem "looking away" if someone chooses to eat during labor at a hospital that discourages it. Oh, and she also said she'd let my partner catch the baby if he wanted.

Here the homebirth midwives are either DEMs (direct entry midwives) or CPMs (certified professional midwives).
Old 06-01-2008, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. One more question... Do you still have an OB, or does the hospital just call one if they are needed?
Old 06-01-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. One more question... Do you still have an OB, or does the hospital just call one if they are needed?

The office has several midwives and a couple of OBs. When I had my loss back in March, I saw one of them. My assumption is that the midwife will take care of everything, but if you need an OB while in the hospital, they will use one that is on-call. So it wouldn't necessarily be one from the office.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethshimon View Post
In my case, it is a certified nurse midwife who provides the midwives model of care within a hospital setting. Mine is supportive of unmedicated birth and changing positions, committed to normal, vaginal birth, opposed to routine episiotomies, and do not push inducing. She is still somewhat constrained by certain hospital policies, although she has said that she has no problem "looking away" if someone chooses to eat during labor at a hospital that discourages it. Oh, and she also said she'd let my partner catch the baby if he wanted.

Here the homebirth midwives are either DEMs (direct entry midwives) or CPMs (certified professional midwives).
This is how my midwife is too, and I'll do the same - hospital with her or one of her midwife partners, who are also wonderful. I successfully had a natural birth in the hospital with her last time and I'm hopeful things will go well again. It is more difficult to have a natural birth in the hospital even if your midwife is on board because of the nurses and hospital policies, but it can be done.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:48 PM

I'm planning a homebirth for sure... probably a UC. I will get prenatal care with our midwives here, but I want a UC, with the option of having them there if I need or want them.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
Old 06-01-2008, 06:18 PM

I'll be at home. I'm hoping to be able to use the same mw I used last time... she told me I was a "shoe in" but she's quite busy these days...
Old 06-01-2008, 07:07 PM

I was hoping at home, but because of my ET, I can't (my risk of clotting or hemmorage is far too high). So, I'll be at the hospital--I just don't know if it will be a scheduled c-section or not (I have birth related PTSD and I have to have platelets removed before surgery, so that's one vote for a c-sec. But a c-sec can be very dangerous to a person with ET, so that's a vote against it).

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 06-01-2008, 07:23 PM

Hi gals, and let me say congratulations to all of you on your bfps!

I'm going to have my lo in a hospital-based birthing center with a nurse midwife. Dh isn't ready for a homebirth yet, it's our first, and I'm not sure I a yet, either. So this is a great compromise. the Alternative Birthing Center at tthe hospital is for natural births, no pit, no iv's, no eating restrictions, nurses who know and can help with natural birth positions and tricks for how to manage pain, huge tubs, and queen size beds. I love my midwife, and I can't wait to give birth, actually!

When my parents asked what doctor I'm going to I told them that I'd be seeing a midwife at such and such place. My dad replied, "Oh, good. So what doctor will you see." He didn't get that the midwife does the whole deal... I think I'll be doing a lot of explaining!

Married to my best friend for 9 years. Loving being at home with my busy boy. Praying for a vbac.gif next time around!
Old 06-01-2008, 07:41 PM

my *plans* include a homebirth. Not sure about a midwife yet- especially as i dont know where to find one-lol. If hubby is suuuper against UC, and we cant find a good midwife, it will either be at our free standing birth center, or the birth center in the hospital (where i had DD)

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

Old 06-01-2008, 07:55 PM

Hospital with my OB- he isn't really a natural type doctor- but he is definitely the best around. My DD's birth was kind of tramatic and DS's was much much better. This one will be the easiest I hope by far. I labor so quickly that DH and I joke about having it at home- but probably still the hospital. I am curious as to a doula- I have a friend who had one and loved every minute of it- but am not too sure how to go abuot finding one. Anyone with suggestions?

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 06-01-2008, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Hospital with my OB. Mainly b/c that's what our health insurance covers, but also because dh isn't comfortable with a homebirth.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
Old 06-01-2008, 08:25 PM

I am hoping to have a home birth, but we shall see. If not a home birth then a free standing birth center. DH and I both DO NOT ever want to have a baby at the hospital again. The experience with dd#1 was not so good. Then at the center with DD#2 it was so much better, DH was bragging about it for weeks, and saying he wishes we had done that the first time. BUT when you know better you do better.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:25 PM

I would like to have a homebirth, possibly with a midwife, but possibly a UC.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:03 PM

I want a homebirth but dh is freaked out about that idea. So I am searching for a nurse-midwife in our area or a decent birthing center. How far is too far to drive?

Mommy to Abigail 2/09hearts.gif and Ollie 3/11energy.gif

Old 06-01-2008, 11:00 PM

I want a homebirth, would even consider an UC. My DH is so not having it. : I will be pushing the HB issue a lot.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonswife06 View Post
I want a homebirth but dh is freaked out about that idea. So I am searching for a nurse-midwife in our area or a decent birthing center. How far is too far to drive?

well with the price of gas, I find myself very limited. i found a birthing center/HB midwife I would love to look into, but it's over an hour drive.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:05 AM

I'm really really really hoping for an HBAC. I have my first appt. with my midwife in two weeks. Can't wait!!

Mommy to DS1 5/07 and DS2 1/09 , wife to an awesome hubby. And someone new coming in March!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:59 AM

I'm really hoping for an HBAC with the midwife I had last time. We will see I have to call tommorow and see if I can get into her. There are 2 others in town but one I will not see as I have heard too many horror stories.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 06-02-2008, 12:29 PM

We're looking at a hospital birth with a midwife. We really wanted a home birth, but I can't convince myself that we can find the money for it. Not to mention if we did get the money together than it would be a strain on our finances. We'll probably hire a doula though. That way we have someone there during labor to fight with the nurses, and help keep me going. I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, but here the midwifes are just like doctors in that they are only there for the birth when it's in the hospital.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonswife06 View Post
That's what I'm wondering, too. I can't find a birthing center closer than and hour and a half away (but it's at The Farm, so it still might be worth the drive). I was interested in homebirth but haven't found any midwifes who are willing to do one.

My last birth was with a hospital midwife and I'm not entirely pleased with how it went down. I think they did what they could to keep it natural, but I still feel like I got hit with that intervention waterfall that ended in a c-section. My current plans are to go with them again, but I'm still looking around. I'm just anxious to go back to the same setting that I was in last time. I'm afraid it will make me nervous and unsure of myself again.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:28 PM

My plan is also a homebirth with midwife. This will be our first one.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
Old 06-02-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I can't find a birthing center closer than and hour and a half away (but it's at The Farm, so it still might be worth the drive)
Paige-I am guessing you are in TN--whereabouts? I am in knoxville.

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
Old 06-02-2008, 08:10 PM

Hi all! I'm planning a hospital birth, with my ob who I love!
Although, the hospital is 30 minutes away in good weather, so who knows what will happen in Feb. if it's a blizzard here in Michigan! My dh said homebirth if the weather's too bad! UC'ing is a little scary to me, but I'll do some research just to be prepared!

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
Old 06-02-2008, 10:53 PM

Gosh I hadn't really thought about blizzards. I was up in Cadillac in Feb this year. Got stuck in a pretty major blizzard. I live in an area just outside the city of GR our streets are the last to be plowed. I may need to get some emergency supplies as well. My last labor from start to finish was nine hours. My transition was about two hours. I was planning on having back up stuff just in case anyways, but now I'll take it more seriously.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
Old 06-03-2008, 12:19 AM

I would love to do a homebirth but we don't have any midwives in our little island community. I'll be at the hospital with my OB who did natural childbirth herself. She is great (I used to nanny for her) so I'm comfortable with this. I'm interested in having a doula if I can get one here.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

User Tag List