When will you tell - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So when is everyone planning on telling friends and family?

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#2 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 12:13 AM

I've already told my mom and a couple of very close friends.

I think we are waiting until the end of the first trimester to tell everyone else.
#3 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 12:18 AM

we kinda spilled the beans to our families as soon as we knew. Some of our close friends know, other than that we are waiting a while to share with the world

Mommy to Abigail 2/09hearts.gif and Ollie 3/11energy.gif

#4 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 AM

I've told my mom and sister and a couple of close friends. I'm wanting to wait a couple of weeks to tell folks at work (unless I keep puking at work...then I may need to tell earlier!)

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#5 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 12:35 AM

well the only people i know are online friends and then my family and hubby's family. I told my mom this morning, so that leaves my dad and his family (across the country - not sure when i will tell them) and then DH's family (again, not sure when we will tell them, but were not waiting on anything really

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#6 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 02:36 AM

I will be waiting until I am well out of the first trimester. Possibly not until 20 weeks or so.
#7 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is tricky because I was planning to watch a friend's child before and after school during the next school year, and I think she needs to know my circumstances have changed as soon as possible. I don't think I'll be able to handle her high-needs child and a brand new baby. But on the other hand I'm not comfortable letting the world know yet. My husband accidentally let it slip to a friend of his, but the friend said he'd keep his mouth shut and the two friends don't know each other. I haven't decided just what I'll do. I'll probably wait a couple more weeks but I don't think I'll wait longer than that.
#8 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 AM

We're telling family after my first appointment, then others after the first tri. That's the plan for now anyway! The longer I wait, the less time she has to wait to tell.

Our families don't live in town so it makes it a little easier, and I only talk to my parents about once a week.
#9 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 AM

We've told close friends and family, but will wait to tell the rest of the world for a little while yet.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#10 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 AM

I slipped up and told a wife of one of husbands co-workers. They just had a baby last Feb and hubby was in their confidence so I'm hoping that it goes the other way too. I'm just not sure when to tell other people. I'm thinking I'll wait another couple of weeks, and try to find a cute way to tell our parents. My worry is that we'll lose the baby or that a parent won't be happy for us. I lost forty pounds this year and I can just hear my dad saying something about losing all sorts of weight just to gain it back. I may have to hit him!

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#11 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I will be waiting until I am well out of the first trimester. Possibly not until 20 weeks or so.
Me too, although I may tell one friend earlier. I know if I do tell her she won't share the news with anyone else and she has been through a m/c before.
#12 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 01:32 PM

Still trying to figure that one out....

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#13 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 02:07 PM

ehh we told most people, well friends and family anyways, and DH told his work b/c I'm not on his insurance so we needed to see about when that could happen.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#14 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 04:16 PM

We told everyone almost immedietly.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#15 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 PM

We're waiting until 14 weeks or so, because I'm going to visit my parents then and I want to tell them in person. Plus I like having such a fun 'secret' .

Mommy to DS1 5/07 and DS2 1/09 , wife to an awesome hubby. And someone new coming in March!
#16 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 PM

Even though I know better, I've told pretty much everybody! People at work, family, friends. I'm just too excited not to tell people!

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#17 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 11:27 PM

Hoping to keep it a secret from the general public until mid-July ... a few people we will tell before then include my mom and my best friend!

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#18 of 74 Old 06-02-2008, 11:42 PM

Despite having a long history of pregnancy loss, I am not waiting very long to tell people this time. Already my three closest friends know, as well as my midwives, my family doctor, and a random stranger on the bus

Everyone else will know probably soon... sometime in the next couple of weeks I'm sure. I've decided that no matter how long this precious soul is sent to be with me, I don't want to live his/her existance paralyzed wih fear as I ahve been with pregnancies in the past. So this time I am sharing his or her life with his or her family and friends, the people who will support us no matter what... and hoping for the very best outcome. This time feels differen and I sure hope that I am right.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#19 of 74 Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 PM

I told my mom right away and today we told DH's family. We weren't planning too (well, we were going to wait until next week so it's not that big of a deal), but they said something about us having kids and I started crying (), and they asked if we were already pregnant and DH said yes. They were very excited. This will be his parents 4th grandbaby, but they don't have a girl yet, so I think they'll be hoping for that. Now that they know I'm going to have to tell my dad too, cause he's the only parent that doesn't know. And I'll be telling my two close friends. Extended family will have to wait a few months.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#20 of 74 Old 06-06-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
I've decided that no matter how long this precious soul is sent to be with me, I don't want to live his/her existance paralyzed wih fear as I ahve been with pregnancies in the past. So this time I am sharing his or her life with his or her family and friends, the people who will support us no matter what... and hoping for the very best outcome. This time feels differen and I sure hope that I am right.
I think this is such a great attitude and I'm feeling exactly the same way.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#21 of 74 Old 06-07-2008, 02:11 AM

I'm terrible at keeping secrets...I wish i could keep it shut longer but I've told my mom, two best friends and a neighbor. I'm actually hesitating about telling my Dad seeing that every time we mentioned having another he'd react rather dramatically by throwing his hands up in the air and shaking his head, " You don't have enough money! You'll never afford it!!" I think if I told him now, his head might launch into orbit....
#22 of 74 Old 06-07-2008, 02:41 AM

Triscuitsmom- That's a great attitude. Last time I told everyone and it didn't go so good.

Dh and I decided to tell our immediate family. My immediate family already knows, his will find out this Sunday. I have a really cute way of telling them since ours will be the first on their side. On my family's side it will be the second grandchild. Our extended families will have to wait till like after the first trimester or first appt.
#23 of 74 Old 06-07-2008, 09:30 AM

Hi All--

I'm a blabbermouth. We've told our parents, our daughter and our best friends. Some people think I'm an idiot for telling dd but I disagree. I think it's the honest and respectful thing to do, and if something happens, God forbid, she's intelligent enough to handle it.
#24 of 74 Old 06-07-2008, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Triscuitsmom: I agree with your reasoning. A life deserves to be celebrated, no matter how short or long it is.

mellydis: My MIL is just like your dad. I tend to disagree about the money-thing. We don't have much money, but we have done just fine with dd. We just don't have the "freedom" to buy every little thing that comes out. Personally, I think a human life is worth more than, say, being able to provide your kid with an iPod. Now if you can't afford to feed a kid... that's another story.

Like Triscuit, I have had a history of losses (well, two losses). We have told my parents because they live down the street, and my dh's brother. I would like to wait until my 8week u/s before we tell the rest of the world, including the rest of dh's family.

If we end up losing this baby too I will still tell people close to us about him/her. I just won't broadcast it to everyone and their brother, iykwim.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mommy to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), and two angel babies. 

#25 of 74 Old 06-07-2008, 10:43 AM

If we hear a heartbeat at the 12 week doppler, I'll tell then. Crossing my fingers!

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#26 of 74 Old 06-07-2008, 01:40 PM

I'll probably tell people when I start to get nauseous and need back-up! I can't imagine going through that alone!
#27 of 74 Old 06-07-2008, 03:50 PM

we told some friends, I told all my online friends...someof which I met almost 5 yrs ago when pregnatn with my 4 yr old. I told my MIL because she always is last to know these things so I thought I'd let her be one of the first. We are going to wait til about 10 weeks or so to tell my family...long story LOT"S of reasons there. When I'm ready to tell my family I'll tell our girls too. Do you know how hard it is to NOT tell a 4 & 6 yr old? lol I'm pretty sure that they'll figure it out before I'm ready to tellthem though.

Miranda~SAHM to Rhiannon(10), Arielle(8), & Harrison(3).

Married to my best  friend & expecting baby #4 in June 2013!

homeschool.gif,lactivist.gif,selectivevax.gif,intactivist.gif,homebirth.jpg,pos.gif,familybed1.gif,cd.gif

#28 of 74 Old 06-13-2008, 12:48 PM

We told our parents, because we figured if something bad happens, we will want to talk to them about it. We are waiting on telling anyone else, but it's so hard because I am so excited.
#29 of 74 Old 06-13-2008, 01:08 PM

I've told a few close friends and that's it. We may tell the kids this weekend since I will be getting sick soon (if everything is healthy). And my mom and sister come into town next week so we'll tell them then.
#30 of 74 Old 06-13-2008, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We'll probably tell by early July. Family is coming over for DS#1's birthday, so I'm sure we'll tell then. May or may not have had a dating u/s by then, but we'll see. I'll be about 8 weeks when we have the family over.

I've already told my best friend as soon as I saw the line, then another friend when I couldn't reach my best friend (left a message on bf's voice mail, and she called back while talking to friend #2). Then I told a local mom's forum while on the phone with bf. Then I told DH that night (yes, a forum knew before my DH , and then I told the whole online world, just about.

We're waiting to tell friends at church until after we tell the grandparents. And we're waiting to tell DS#1 until at least close to time to tell the grandparents, so he doesn't blab! I've already told DS#2, but he doesn't talk much yet, so no worries of him spilling the beans.

I couldn't possibly wait until 12 weeks... It's killing me just to wait 2-3 weeks before telling the grandparents!!!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page