What are the necessities? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2008, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How soon is "too soon" to think about getting things? I want to do it slowly so that there's not as much of a financial impact, especially with regard to the more expensive items. I've already been given a crib (that I probably won't use) and a little matching dresser. Other than that, I don't anticipate many hand-me-downs, and some things I'm going to buy new regardless (carseat, electric breast pump). What do you guys think? Any thoughts on what to buy first?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 07:51 PM

We have side cared the crib for my 2nd and 3rd and we will do it again this time. I use my changing table like crazy! For storage and for changing, I hate having to bend over to do it. I had an Amby for my last dd and sold it last summer...I will not be getting another one. The reason I got it was to keep her off the floor and away from dogs, cats and big brothers. It worked well for that but she didn't love it much.
I have an Ergo, Moby, gauze wrap, and several pouch slings...the pouches are my favs for little babies!
I must have a stroller otherwise I would never be able to take my kids out in public alone but if you only have one kido you might not use it much. My plan is fro ds to walk, dd to ride and baby in sling!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 07-23-2008, 11:45 PM

I think the only things we'll be getting are a car seat & baby clothes, probably not many of those, since we have them still from the boys. If we get into a place where I have my own washer & dryer, I might do cloth. I already have lots of those, but most are too big for a little one. It's remotely possible I'll get a boppy, but I just used pillows with the boys and that worked fine. I already have an old stroller and my most important items...baby carriers!

I have a few wraps, a ring sling and several Mei Tai's that I made, including a couple I need to sell. I might make myself a smaller one, since I tend to make them for toddlers.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
Question for the mamas:

I have a crib (my own, actually). Since we plan to co-sleep relatively short-term, should I be looking at a full on co-sleeper in addition to the crib, or something else?

What do you guys think is necessary?
Can you just sidecar the crib?

We hadn't planned to cosleep at all initially (I was scared to, honestly) but ended up cosleeping for almost two years. She slept in the crib twice for naps, if that much. But we did have a cradle by our bed early on that we tried to use.

I guess my answer is look into a used cosleeper or Amby bed or something for early on if you can't sidecar the crib and aren't planning to cosleep long, but don't discount cosleeping longer if it's what works for you and your babe. It was a miraculous thing for us and I absolutely plan to cosleep from the get go with this babe, and do it for as long as s/he needs.

About when to get stuff. It depends honestly. If you see something on sale and you know it's what you want, go for it. But if you're going to do that, best to start researching options and brands now.

And keep in mind when buying outfits for things like scratchy tags and unlined embroidery, as well as any sleepwear over 12 months that's not snugfitting cotton will be treated with flame retardant chemicals. Prior to 12 months nothing is treated (or at least it's not supposed to be). But if you're like me and you buy things on clearance for later on, it's good to keep things like that in mind.

I ended up with many outfits that are now tagless because the tags were awful scratchy and I just didn't think when I was looking at them to consider things like that. And one really nice fleece PJ set that I had to give away because I didn't realize it was made with chems.

I'd wait until third trimester before buying the carseat if you can. It's not totally important you do, but it's good to for two reasons: 1. They are always coming out with improvements and safer versions and 2. Most carseats have an expiration of 6 years from manufacture date (not sell date) so you want it as new as possible, in case you end up having another baby later on, that could also use it.

If there's a chance you'll be having a baby shower I would not buy anything big a great deal ahead of time. I was shocked at the generosity of family and friends when they threw me a baby shower with my first baby. (We won't have one this time obviously.) But there were things I didn't register for because I thought they were too extravagant and we ended up getting. I was incredibly lucky and so thankful I hadn't already gone out and bought clearance/non-returnable versions of some of the gear. So that's just something to keep in mind. Plus you can get gift cards to BRU, etc., as well (even if you don't have a shower, some people will give you gifts or congrats cards, etc., anyway) and those can go a long way in paying towards things like breastpumps.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 07-24-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
Can you just sidecar the crib?

We hadn't planned to cosleep at all initially (I was scared to, honestly) but ended up cosleeping for almost two years. She slept in the crib twice for naps, if that much. But we did have a cradle by our bed early on that we tried to use.
I think that's what we'll do. I sort of worked out how the furniture can be rearranged, and I think it will work.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 PM

"definitely a breast pump (check with your health insurance-mine paid 90% of mine" with that said my insurance originally said no but with medical authorization from my daughters peditrician they cover 90 percent of it.
and as far as recieving blankets for swaddling. I just had 2 layers of flannel sewn back to back. 40 inch square yep it is huge but great for swaddling. worked wonders for my duaghter.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

Old 10-23-2008, 03:01 PM

With the hope that people will continue to add, especially for the benefit of us first-timers....

Old 11-13-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

With the hope that people will continue to add, especially for the benefit of us first-timers....
Well, my LO is only one month old, but I'll bite since no one else has.

Things we have that I would get if we had to buy everything over again:
-a carseat
-a cosleeper and a convertible crib/toddler bed
-a couple of water-resistant "sheet savers" that we use as changing pads (nylon instead of vinyl)
-36 prefold cloth diapers (so easy to use... there was no need to get any AIO or fitted ones)
-a few Snappi's
-6 cloth diaper covers (though I wish they snapped closed rather than using velcro... hubby and I always forget to fold back the velcro and it catches on everything in the wash... lots of pilling)
-a wet bag or two
-some warm fleece sleepers
-some carseat-friendly coats or warm blankets
-a couple of stretchy knit hats (most hats won't stay on well at all; we need something that grabs her head)
-a small collection of onesies (we have way too many; 10 would be more than enough)
-a small collection of sleepers/gowns to put over the onesies (again, we could get by with 10 or less)
-one or two really cute outfits for pictures
-some bibs (I like to put her in a bib before we go out... saves me from having to change outfits before we leave)
-a few receiving blankets
-a mei tai (she doesn't like it now, but I think that's just because she doesn't like her head pointing to the side... it should be better when she has more head control)
-a nursing pillow (My Breast Friend is soo much better than Boppy IMO... it has a large surface for her and buckles closed so it stays on) and an assortment of other pillows to prop up her head or to lift the nursing pillow while she's very little (I just use the pillows from my sofa)
-plenty of burp cloths (at least a dozen, maybe two)
-a couple wash cloths
-an infant bathing seat
-a nursing cover
-eventually, some nursing bras... but don't spend much on your first one or two. all the ones I bought at first ended up being too small -- they give you guidelines for predicting how big you'll get, but they were terribly inaccurate for me. My pre-pregnancy size was 32B, so I fell in the range of size Small nursing bras... but I grew to 34DD, and even some mediums are too tight. Cami's were all I could wear during those first weeks before my size stabilized and I bought some well-fitting bras. Now I have $100 worth of nursing clothes that will never fit.
-some books of poetry, a good hymnal, and lists of kids' songs and fairy tales (bonus points if you can tell the stories by heart, like my dh does!)
-camera
-a book or online reference for breastfeeding, the name and number of a lactation consultant, and some lanolin cream

Things I wish we'd gotten:
-some fleece diaper doublers/liners (these are on order.... I think they will help with the diaper rash)
-two sets of wool nursing pads (I have several sets of cotton fleece ones, but I wish I'd gotten wool)
-sling or wrap (to use until she is ready for the mei tai)
-a bouncy chair or moses basket to put her in while I use the bathroom/shower/cook

I think that's it; hope it helps!

Laura geek.gif, mom to fencing.gif Savannah (born 10/2008) and Indy (born 01/2011), and babyf.gifCheyenne (born 11/2012)

Old 11-13-2008, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks, Laurac5...
What an awesome list!

It really helps to see such a specific list because we live in a small town with no stores to get anything at, so it's nice to be able to pinpoint what to acquire or keep an eye out for when we do go down to the city (three hours away ...).
Thanks again.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurac5 View Post
-6 cloth diaper covers (though I wish they snapped closed rather than using velcro... hubby and I always forget to fold back the velcro and it catches on everything in the wash... lots of pilling)
Bummis Super Wraps make some that snap now. The newborn snap covers also allow room for the cord stump.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 11-14-2008, 01:17 PM

I'll chime on on Kate's cosleeper-or-crib question from long ago -

We got the Cosleeper and liked it. Although we are dedicated cosleepers, we weren't going to go to bed at 7 pm with DS, or always nap with him, and we needed a way to keep him safe when he was sleeping alone (he pulled up really early and bedrails would not have been safe enough - climbing and crawling can happen at six months and if you'll still be cosleeping then, it's good to have a plan in place).

But, the Cosleeper is very small and soon he needed more space. So we got a crib and put it right up next to our bed where the Cosleeper had been. We didn't sidecar it because we put the rail up when he was sleeping alone. Immediately we realized that the Cosleeper was wasted and we wouldn't need it anymore. We could have just gotten the crib from the beginning, and if we had done that we probably could have gotten some nice bedding as a gift.

So, unless your bed is a king-size mattress on the floor, I'd recommend a crib.

Also, right now is a good time to start learning some lullabies if you don't know any - you can buy a CD and just learn them. I want to learn Wynken Blynken and Nod, and Oyfen Pripitchik for this babe - Morningtown Ride is DS' favorite.

And I really have to second the My Brest Friend nursing pillow. It is about a thousand times better than the Boppy, which we found isn't really good for anything. Although once you get the hang of nursing it's important to become comfortable nursing without a pillow at all, so you can do it when you go out.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:26 PM

Super helpful post. I have a son who will be 7 when this baby comes along and there is just so many things I have forgotten about . I know that I am much more conscious of the amount of stuff coming in our home this time around and feel like I need a lot less (even though we had sold/donated everything from when he was a baby).

Getting excited reading this post .

User Tag List