What are the necessities? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning on collecting things gradually this time.
The birth of my son and all the research I did after his birth led to me to my crunchy beliefs of today. So much of my baby stuff is plastic or vinyl.
I don't want to spend a fortune but I would like more natural/green baby products this time around.
What do you mamas consider essentials for baby? What are your must haves/want to haves?

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#2 of 42 Old 06-03-2008, 07:56 PM

A good sling.
A carseat.
Some diapers and wipes.
Some clothing.
A few blankets.
A dozen washcloths/receiving blankets/old diapers/whatever for cleaning up spit up and wiping down baby's face, hands and smelly rolls.

That's about it.
#3 of 42 Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
A good sling.
A carseat.
Some diapers and wipes.
Some clothing.
A few blankets.
A dozen washcloths/receiving blankets/old diapers/whatever for cleaning up spit up and wiping down baby's face, hands and smelly rolls.

That's about it.
smelly rolls thats funny. That sounds like a pretty good list. a camera is useful too- if you are a photo-aholic like i am

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#4 of 42 Old 06-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oooooh the junk we bought or people bought for us that we didn't use.

I plan to get a carseat, a sling, cloth diapers and wipes, and some baby clothes and receiving blankets. Oh, and I really did use the little baby bathtub so I'll probably get that again. Otherwise, nothing. If something sounds useful after the baby is born, MAYBE.

I will never get a changing table again. What was I thinking? Changing my baby on this high table so far up off the ground. Scary and a PITA because you can't move a few inches from the baby because you have to keep the baby from falling off the table. So it's this tricky "Let me reach for this but not stop touching the baby" thing. I ended up changing her on the floor on a cloth, and that's what I'll do from the start this time.
#5 of 42 Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 PM

I change my babies on the couch or floor. A changing table is such a waste of space. I had a crib for DS1 and it was just a big toy bin/laundry basket so I got rid of it and never got another.
#6 of 42 Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 AM

ITA, we got/bought soooo many things we didn't use last time. I'll be starting completely from scratch this time since my ds is almost 5. The stuff I plan on getting this time is a bit different :P

Slings - probably a wrap and another Mei tai; receiving blankets ; basic layette...like really basic; earth mama angel baby bottom balm (I use this for EVERYthing...it's freakin awesome); cloth diapering supplies; diaper bag; rocking chair; and probably an amby bed for when baby is not in bed with us (naps etc) or if he is like his older brother and just doesn't like sleeping with anyone period (hopefully not), but I wouldn't consider it a necessity.

Also, I will probably make sure I have a good breast pump in case I have any supply issues like last time, as well as some fenugreek for supply as well.

oh yea and a carseat. We will mostly babywear so a stroller is meh...not that important, but maybe when s/he is older.

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
#7 of 42 Old 06-04-2008, 02:34 AM

I'm a babywearer too but the stroller comes in handy when you're out with family... for example auntie or grandma... and babybaby falls asleep. It was for me, anyway.

I had to practically BEG dh to let me sell our stroller, though. He liked using the Snugli but I hear those are bad for their little backs.
#8 of 42 Old 06-04-2008, 08:56 AM

That's true. A stroller is very handy sometimes. Like in airports and amusement parks. I'll get one but I'll get one from a garage sale or craigslist or something. I won't spend nearly as much as I did last time. We spent a ton on one for our daughter and then we ended up carrying her around and pushing an empty stroller most of the time.
#9 of 42 Old 06-04-2008, 09:55 AM

I think it has been covered. For baby clothes I LOVE the gowns. The sleepers with the snaps or zippers are a PIA in MHO.

I will be getting a new stroller i think. I want a sit in stand. It will help when out with all three. One in the sling one sitting, one standing. For longer days and such. PLus they are great in amusement parks and zoos. Even if to only hold my stuff, Oh and at all of those free events were your kids get to do arts and crafts and get free books and stickers. Yeah I LOVE a stroller then. I just use it as a little shopping cart.

edited to add I use the BF pillows a lot. I think i have to get a new one, as the one I used with the last two is flat now. It saved my back.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#10 of 42 Old 06-04-2008, 10:53 AM

definitely a breast pump (check with your health insurance-mine paid 90% of mine- definitely reason to get a really good one from a pharmacy). I have 2 boppy's- one for sitting and one for baby. I need these! Also- I love my changing table- I wouldn't go with out it- but that is just me. We also couldn't live without our swing. But if I did it again I would get one that plugged in and not a battery operated one.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#11 of 42 Old 06-04-2008, 11:58 AM

I had about 40 cotton washcloths and they were a lifesaver the first couple months or so. We didn't use wipes the first few weeks, so we went through about a dozen cloths/day.

I second the sling, but try to find one that works for you. Try a few out before you invest, if it's possible.

I've never used the changing table for changing, but it's got lots of handy shelves.

The one item I always get new mom's at their showers is a car mirror so you can see the babe in the rear-facing car seat. It was the first item I went out and bought after having the baby.

A breast pump is a good idea too, but depending how often you'll be gone you might only need a small manual one. They are much less expensive.
#12 of 42 Old 06-04-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

What do you mamas think about the cosleepers? I only have a queen and neither dh and I could sleep with ds in the bed. There is just not enough room.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#13 of 42 Old 06-04-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
What do you mamas think about the cosleepers? I only have a queen and neither dh and I could sleep with ds in the bed. There is just not enough room.
I had an Arm's Reach co-sleeper last time, but my daughter didn't seem to recognize that as co-sleeping and wouldn't sleep in it. I might try one of those snuggle nests this time. I've heard of lots of babies who do use co-sleepers successfully so hopefully you'll have better luck. You could always get one used, and then if you don't use it maybe you can sell it for what you paid for it.
#14 of 42 Old 06-04-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post

That's what we're probably going to get.
#15 of 42 Old 06-04-2008, 01:54 PM

With our son I had no intention of co-sleeping, but he had other ideas. We ended up with him in between us. Usually he slept in the crook of my arm. Not the best but he wasn't happy otherwise. My hubby was not happy with the arrangement since he didn't get any sleep. Did I mention our bed is a full? Our son decided at about a year and half that our bed was just too crowded and refused to sleep with us anymore.

It's funny I woke up this morning thinking about the things that we plan to do differently this time too.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#16 of 42 Old 06-04-2008, 03:33 PM

If you are getting a new carseat, I would check out healthycar.org for one with low emissions. That, and I would get the carseat a little early and let it air out.
#17 of 42 Old 06-04-2008, 08:31 PM

This time I am paring way down from what I had with my first, and even with him I didn't have as much as a lot of first timers...

I plan on getting:
-warm clothes
-gowns for pretty much all the time inside
-a new carseat
-an amauti (babywearing coat)

I already have cloth diapers, but plan on ECing most of the time. I also have a full range of babycarriers (which I absolutely consider necessary! ) We'll also be cosleeping in our bed so we are skipping the pack n play this time.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#18 of 42 Old 06-16-2008, 12:30 AM

Stopping by from the July DDC....we love the Amby bed....it's great if you start them out in it right away. It's so easy to reach out from the bed, push the Amby, and easily put baby back to sleep!
#19 of 42 Old 06-16-2008, 01:02 AM

I know some parents and babies find some things necessities, that others don't, but for us here's the list from our experience first time around. Your mileage may vary.

Necessities:

- Cloth dipes
- Good, water soluble detergent for dipes
- Boppy
- Receiving blankets for swaddling
- Lap Pads (they're tightly woven cotton and waterproof-ish and great for putting under baby at diaper changes)
- Nursing pads
- No-wire, stretchy nursing bras
- Hotsling (then mei tai, then Ergo -- at last that was our preference in order of when we used them)
- Papasan style swing (though I'm looking into the Amby Bed for this babe)
- Carseat (we started with an infant seat, and I'm glad as Winnie was small at birth -- 6#6oz and a convertible seat would've been far too big). I washed the cover in cold water and lots of natural fabric softener and Dawn to help remove the flame retardent chems -- hang to dry though as don't want to shrink it
- Baby monitors (our house is big)
- Baby fingernail clippers
- Nasal aspirator
- Socks and hats
- Contoured changing pad that sits on top of dresser
- Small lamp that takes a nightlight bulb for nighttime diaper changes in low light
- SnugTuck bolster pillow for co-sleeping
- Sturdy, non-gadgety high chair for later on (the more gadgets, the more places food can get)
- ETA: Glider/rocking chair (can't believe I forgot that one!)

Not necessary but nice to have:

- Clear shower curtain (so baby can see me when I'm showering )
- Bouncy seat (not the Johnny Jumpup things but the papasan style seat)
- Breast pump (be sure to buy new if you're looking at electric ones)
- Baby washclothes
- Side-snap t-shirts for wearing before cord stump falls off
- Long gowns with elastic at bottom
- Bibs
- Extra Boppy covers
- Wool puddle pads (or you can be cheap like us and get an old thin blanket from the Army/Navy store and cut to fit. Much cheaper and works just as well)
- Organic crib mattress (but, not so much the crib -- and if I could do it all over again I'd invest in an organic mattress for OUR bed instead, but we had the org. crib one and thankfully she's sleeping on it now. New baby will sleep with us until Guinevere's outgrown the crib mattress)
- Pack-n-play (most people either love or hate them. We love ours and used it often as a changing table when she was little, and a bassinet for naps, then later as a playpen for when I was cooking)
- Stroller
- Noise machine/air purifier (but not the ionic ones -- they suck)
- ETA: Nursing stool

Total waste of cash (for us, again, YMMV):

- Baby tub
- Bumbo seat
- Changing table
- Sleep positioner (our baby hated hated hated it. She far preferred sleeping right next to me)
- Crib (though good for temporary playpen when I needed to iron)
- Nursing clothes for me other than bras. I'm a shift lifter. It's just a lot easier.
- Gliding ottoman (nursing stool is so much better)

That's all I can think of right now. And really, all you absolutely have to have are diapers and some clothes. But the necessities I listed all helped us enormously for a variety of reasons, from birth to far past age one.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#20 of 42 Old 06-16-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelysmommy View Post
I think it has been covered. For baby clothes I LOVE the gowns. The sleepers with the snaps or zippers are a PIA in MHO.
My daughter used to pull her legs out of the sleeper and then cry and cry because it was uncomfortable. Both my kids (boy and girl) used gowns inside blanket sleeper bags...no legs to get stressed out over.

Comment on nasal aspirators, you usually get one from the hospital or in your homebirth kit, and those ones are better than some of the ones in stores.

If you are going back to work, a double electric breast pump is a necessity.
#21 of 42 Old 06-16-2008, 09:42 AM

My first thoughts when I found out about the pregnancy were: buy a wrap (I only have a Mei Tai from DD), buy diapers, knit wool covers, wool sleeping bag and wool blankets. The rest I am sure will come to me soon enough.
#22 of 42 Old 06-16-2008, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I still pretty much have everything from previous kids, but I do plan to sew a new diaper stash (sold the last child's newborn stash with the intent of making a new one for this child)... I think that's all I need that's "new". I still have car seat, pack-n-play (for sleeping in our room in the beginning... we don't co-sleep), clothes if it's a boy (if it's a girl, I get to go shopping and do a lot of sewing!), bouncy chairs... used those a LOT and had one on each floor of the house, intercoms, baby carriers, etc. I will probably replace my manual breast pump, as it's about hit its limit. I didn't use it a LOT, but I did need it in the beginning when we had some issues with bf'ing (DH would spoonfeed him while I pumped, then we'd put him to the breast and he'd finish up - that got him latching on, and we only had to spoon feed for like a day), plus later on I needed to leave him with milk when I left him with someone every once in a while (once or twice a month).

I have a swing that I actually need to get rid of, as I didn't use it with baby #2.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#23 of 42 Old 06-16-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
-an amauti (babywearing coat)
Yes! I wanted one of those so badly last time. With a winter babe on the way it will come in handy.
This is the one I want:

http://www.mamdesign.net/carrying/cl...mamponcho.html
#24 of 42 Old 06-16-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

I never thought of getting a wool blanket and using that as a mattress cover. DS is potty trained now but I'm scared to let him wear underpants to bed even though he wakes dry. I don't want an accident to wreck his mattress. A wool blanket would probably work perfectly.

#25 of 42 Old 06-16-2008, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
This thread is so helpful!
We are very low impact when it comes to acquiring things, so we're trying to figure out what we can do without.
As for the rest of it, we're hoping to get most things second or third hand.
I truly appreciate all the mamas with experience chiming in with what works and doesn't work.
Thanks!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#26 of 42 Old 06-23-2008, 03:42 PM

Question for the mamas:

I have a crib (my own, actually). Since we plan to co-sleep relatively short-term, should I be looking at a full on co-sleeper in addition to the crib, or something else?

What do you guys think is necessary?

#27 of 42 Old 06-23-2008, 03:48 PM

Oops. Double post. Sorry.

#28 of 42 Old 06-23-2008, 08:32 PM

I have no past experiences, but I am planning on sidecaring a crib to our bed. I just thought it would be easier than buying a separate co-sleeper bassinet (and cheaper ).

So far I have a few outfits that I bought when we were ttc, 2 onesies that I bought for Father's day b/c I wanted to get one that said 'My Daddy Rocks' for dh, and it was 2 for 10, and I have a moby wrap that I bought b/c I saw them in a store and thought I'd save on shipping costs. It's the regular cotton in moss green. I can't wait to use it!

We have a crib from my sil that was only used a handful of times (she coslept). I think I'll probably reuse the mattress too. It's 4 years old and I have heard some negative stuff about reusing mattresses, but it was rarely used, and I figured it would be good b/c all the off-gassing would be done. I will buy a nice mattress cover, probably organic, for it.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#29 of 42 Old 06-23-2008, 10:16 PM

This thread is helpful. I was just given a ton of stuff by my friend/doctor. I was a bit overwhelmed looking at everything and figuring out what I wanted and didn't want. Some of the things I'm really excited about are a sling, a kelty baby backpack, a cosleeper, a breast pump, a car seat, and a stroller. I feel like these are all "big ticket" items so it was really generous of her. I think that some of the toys I may not keep because I would like to avoid so much plastic but there were some good ones in there too. Her sitter uses her crib for her own baby but she said if we wanted that we could have it. Her son just used it for naps after he was about a year old. We plan to cosleep so I don't know if we will need it. What do other cosleeping families do for nap time? I just worry about the baby falling out of bed when I'm not in it.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#30 of 42 Old 06-23-2008, 11:43 PM

PSA hijack:

A note on used carseats: make sure to check the date of manufacture, to ensure it's not expired. The plastic shell and foam cushion break down and start to degrade over time and cease to be effective. They can actually be very dangerous, as they no longer have the structural support and safety in an accident. Most carseats expire 6 years after date of manufacture.

/hijack off

For naptime we used the pack-n-play or papasan swing. Sometimes we'd lay her in our bed, once we had bolsters in place. The SnugTuck pillow bolster is a wonderful thing. If you leave an infant alone in a big bed, make sure there are no big blankets or pillows that could pose a suffocation risk. You can also put the mattress on the floor to make it safer, in case baby starts rolling early and you don't have a bolster or rail in place.

Guinevere never slept in her crib. She hated it. We did have a cradle early, early on and she'd doze in it briefly, but the best naps she took were either when being worn by me, or in her papasan swing. She always did better when she felt snuggly, I think (yet resisted swaddling like mad after about 4 months).

Not sure if we'll sidecar the crib or use the cradle again, or try the AmbyBed for this baby. I'm so glad I've got a long time to decide.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page