Worrying about working pregnant... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-04-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there DDC mamas. I am 17 DPO with high temps. I haven't taken a test yet, as I am just getting used to this idea of DC #2. A positive test seems so REAL.
Well, this morning after taking my (high) temp, I was stressing about my job. I am a waitress, and I am so nervous about getting through that naseous, super tired, starving all the time phase. Also, dealing with FOOD in my face all day...hamburgers, syrup (my nemesis), ketchup, eggs, etc. Other people's food.
I am not feeling any nausea yet, but it is so early still.
Anyone else done a similar job through early pregnancy? I know I can make it. It will all work out, but I am going to need to be seriously prepared with extremely healthy snacks to bring to work to keep my blood suger on an even keel. I have been taking prenatals, Vit B, and milk thistle to hopefully keep these symptoms lower. Any advice to calm my worries?
#2 of 6 Old 06-04-2008, 03:16 PM

I don't have any advice other than what you're already planning to do- taking a variety of healthy snacks to keep you energized and hopefully keep you from feeling nausea. And try to get as much sleep as you can. I was super tired the last few weeks until I started going to be at about 8pm. I dunno if your schedule at work will allow for that, but maybe you can work in naps or something?

At any rate, congratulations and I hope all goes well for you!!
#3 of 6 Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 PM

I agree it sounds like you have a good plan. I'd take it day by day and see how it goes as you go along.

Congratulations!

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#4 of 6 Old 06-04-2008, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hi! I think it just depends on the person. I was waiting tables when I was pg with dd, and I ended up having to quit because the smell made me throw up. I came back after about a month though. However, I have a friend who was able to wait tables the whole time (in fact, she's due next month and still working). She said she felt nauseus (sp) but was able to work through it. So it will probably depend on how bad your morning sickness is. Some people don't get hardly any

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mommy to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), and two angel babies. 

#5 of 6 Old 06-05-2008, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hello ladies, I was just lurking and wanted to reply to this particular concern. I was working in a high volume restaurant while pg with DD #1. I found that if I kept my pockets full of healthy snacks, I managed ok. I gained over 60 lbs that pg, so in the end I think it was good that I stayed and worked on my feet, had I left, I probably would have happily sailed into the 80- 90 lb weight gain!

There was one time, however, that I was pushed to the edge. We had a particular gentleman who was a regular. He is a quadriplegic, and needs his entrees liquefied in the blender, so his wife can spoon feed him. The only time I waited on him, I was very pregnant, and he ordered Shepard's Pie. This story is not meant to make fun of this man, or to judge him. I say it purely in terms of one pregnant woman pushed to her pregnant edge, serving, smelling, helping, and cleaning up a particularly visual meal, I am even a vegetarian. mmmm good times.

Best of luck to you!

Amanda
#6 of 6 Old 06-06-2008, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

OH, snacks right in your pockets!! A good idea for sure. I am still trying to learn how to not get starving while working (and that pregnancy stuff hasn't even started!) I think when you are serving food, you don't feel hungry the same way you would if you were just going about a normal day. All of a sudden, I realize that I am starving! I know that if I do this to myself when pregnant, that I will not be functioning well. I may have to take a month off, too. At least that is an option, although a paycut for sure. Urgh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page