Blood Test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-08-2008, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

I have a doctor's appt scheduled tomorrow morning (which in case you didn't read my other post, was meant to be for fertility testing - but I showed them! ). So, I figured since I already had it booked I might as well go. I was going to ask for a blood test to confirm all the hpts I've taken. But both my mom and DHs mom said they never had a blood test, the doctor just gave them a urine test. I realize this was a long time ago, but are blood tests not that common? What do they test for? I would love if I could get some info that would show that the pregnancy looks healthy and all my levels are where they should be, but if it's just going to say 'you're pregnant', well I already know that.

So, who all had a blood test? Was there a specific reason you had one? What did it tell you?

TIA!!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#2 of 5 Old 06-08-2008, 09:35 AM

Well I had a beta hCG test to get an actual number to check my levels... but that's because I have had many pregnancy losses. I didn't with my first pregnancy.

I also had a panel screen done for blood counts, iron, immunity to rubella etc etc etc... which you'll likely have as well (and if the doctor doesn't order it the midwives likely will when you do get in to see them) so if that's being done there isn't any more work involved to get the number reading of your hCG level, you're already getting poked Just ask your doctor when you go

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#3 of 5 Old 06-08-2008, 12:11 PM

When I went for my "pregnancy confirmation" appointment, I really expected the midwife to draw blood, but all she did was a urine test. Which seemed like kind of a waste to me, since I'd already done five of those. But this is my first pregnancy, and there wasn't any reason to check specific levels, I guess, so......
I would think that if you requested a blood test they would probably order it for you. Or at least have a good reason why not.....

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#4 of 5 Old 06-08-2008, 04:04 PM

I did blood work. They tested my hCG level and progesterone level. I did it at 16 dpo and 18 dpo. They look to see if your hCG #'s are doubling. I was on fertility drugs and did an IUI so they are a little more hands on then hands off with me but it was reassuring to see those numbers. Tomorrow we do our first ultrasound! I'll be 6 weeks tomorrow.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#5 of 5 Old 06-08-2008, 06:16 PM

I had 2 HCG tests already and another one scheduled for Tuesday--I've had a first tri miscarriage (in addition to a 41 week stillbirth), and I'm already considered high risk because of a medical condition, so they gave me the tests for peace of mind. And of course, the numbers were doubling a little slower than they liked, so it's not really very peace-of-mindish. : Hopefully Tuesday's test is the good one.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page