When to tell work about #2? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-12-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am been mulling this over and talking to DH and was wondering if anyone here would have insight?

I have been at my job for 8 months. All of my benefits started on my hire date, so no worries there. I am not planning on coming back full time when my maternity leave is over.

When do I tell work? After my first appointment, July 1st, I'll be about 9 weeks. Try and hold out until 12 weeks and hope no one notices? Give the folks the benefit of the doubt and say something ASAP?

What do you ladies think?

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#2 of 5 Old 06-12-2008, 04:01 PM

I would wait till 12 weeks that is still giving work plenty of time.
#3 of 5 Old 06-12-2008, 04:05 PM

Honestly I have no idea. I watch a little boy in my home, and I'm dreading telling them that I'm taking three months off. I want that time to bond with my family.

I don't think you have to tell them for a while, but your boss may be hurt if you start to show a lot before you say something. I would think it would be exceptable to wait until twelve weeks. Then you are just being cautious. Maybe you have a handbook or can get a hold of your state's regulations to make sure you tell them enough a head of time for them not to hassle you.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#4 of 5 Old 06-12-2008, 04:12 PM

I'd probably gauge it on the employer themselves... how do you think they'd react to that? I was working when I got preg with DS#1, and I told them pretty early, but it was a family-friendly group of people (mostly guys with SAHM wives). For me, it was best to tell them earlier rather than later, because I was the one person doing part of a project that I wouldn't be able to complete, so I needed them to get someone else on that part of the project. It's a good thing we did too, because baby came at 29 weeks and I had to leave the company much earlier than originally planned!
#5 of 5 Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 PM

I would wait untill 12 weeks..... I think that is fine for time. Lol or you could pull a "knocked up" Katherine Heigel move and just go untill 9 months and hope no one notices.... lol jkjk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page