Registries? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 06-29-2008, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else thought about where they are going to register for baby shower gifts? I really want to make wise choices in the things I put on my list, and I'd really like to find a place online that sells cloth diapers and other needed things. Any advice or want to share some links that you've been perusing?

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 06-29-2008, 07:36 PM

I liked Cottonbabies They're still my choice of cloth diaper shopping. The Indian prefolds that they sell are super soft. They do an easy registry. I also love the website Babies bottom line. They have tons of things.
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#3 of 29 Old 06-29-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
I liked Cottonbabies They're still my choice of cloth diaper shopping.
Oooh I really like that site! They have everything I want!! :

#4 of 29 Old 06-29-2008, 11:51 PM

Eco Baby is another good one

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#5 of 29 Old 06-30-2008, 04:14 PM

We registered at www.nurturedfamily.com last time.

Won't be registering this time as it's our second child, but we still shop with them and have always had very good experiences with them. They're a WAH family business.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#6 of 29 Old 06-30-2008, 05:19 PM

I've never registered anywhere but if you're getting a shower I would definitely make a detailed list of what you want, because people will give you things that you will never use. We had sooo many gifts with ds that we had no use for. Not that we're ungrateful jerks or anything, we were just thrilled to have a shower (two actually!) because ds was my second child.

I'm pretty sure we won't be getting a shower this time, we do still have everything though, unless it's a girl.
#7 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 10:49 PM

with my last baby i registered at cottontailbabies. All of my friends are last minute shoppers though so they only used the babiesrus registry. I understand though, i often don't have the money to get a present until the day before.

DH doesn't want to have a shower this time. ( I have a friend that wants to throw me a shower.) I think DH wants to wait until after baby is born.

I like the idea anyways. You get to formally introduce the baby to everyone. Also then they say "what do you need?"

Besides I'd feel a little weird having a third shower, although in my area it is perfectly normal. Plus we mostly just need big things, and I don't see a lot of people doing gift cards. Sorry that's a little off topic. I think a giant cook out afterwords would be awesome.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#8 of 29 Old 08-30-2008, 11:05 PM

I'm putting together a registry on Amazon. They actually have some cloth diapers and covers and some cute organic cotton clothes. Also some under the nile cloth toys. I think for my family having a traditional site (although untraditional items!) will help them out. I was also able to add items such as a carseat.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#9 of 29 Old 08-31-2008, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

I have decided on Babies R Us and www.cottonbabies.com. Babies R Us will give people the option in my area to go to a store and buy things. Cotton babies has everything I want for diapering and natural family living and I get to visit the store next weekend when we go to St. Louis for a wedding. We also lived near STL for over 4 years while DH was in the Air Force, so I like supporting something "local."

#10 of 29 Old 09-05-2008, 06:41 PM

I don't plan to do a registry for family/friends... but we will be using myregistry.com to keep track of what we want/need for the new baby. It's great because you can add items from any store you want, and that way people aren't limited to one store.

For us it'll be a good tracking tool for what we still need to get, and if someone by chance asks us what we need still it'll all be in one place.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#11 of 29 Old 09-10-2008, 02:26 PM

I have registered at Babies r Us because it is easy for the non-internet types in the family but I have also registered at felicite.com. It is a really cool site because you can find stuff at a number of online stores and it will combine you choices to one registry... people can also give an amount of money toward a certain gift if they can't afford the whole thing.
#12 of 29 Old 09-10-2008, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the cottonbabies.com suggestion - that site looks just right for me.
#13 of 29 Old 12-15-2008, 05:08 AM

Would anyone like to share what is on their registry? I found one checklist that was very comphrensive and I'm tempted to use it. I'm worried that if I don't enough items, my family/friends will pick out things that I don't really want to use. Our wedding registry did not have a huge selection and we ended up with a lot of things we do not need/want and no gift receipt so we couldn't exchange it for something else. I'd like to avoid that again as much as possible!

Also, I'm planning on exclusively breastfeeding but I am currently unemployed. If I get a job, I would need a pump but I don't know if it's better to put that on my registry now or just rent one from the hospital. If I'm still unable to find a job, I'd like to register for items that will take my baby to one year, atleast.
#14 of 29 Old 12-15-2008, 08:08 AM

something like wishlist.com is good because you can put things from anywhere else all in one place

military wife to Eric, mommy to Ani 11/06 and Emi 2/09 and our angels angel1.gif 12/10, and angel1.gif 2/12 and our newest addition Izzy 4/13

#15 of 29 Old 12-15-2008, 10:22 AM

I've been registry happy ever since I found out we were expecting. Literally, I started a registry the day I found out, haha! We'd been thinking about having a baby for a long time before conceiving, so I had already started looking at different things we'd want.
The first one I did was at Babies R Us. The most convenient for people to shop at. I've narrowed that one down quite a bit to the basics and big items (like stroller, crib, etc.). Many people in my family like to go in together and get big items as gifts, so that one is for them. I also have a registry going at cottonbabies.com for internet shoppers. And for in-store only shoppers, there is a local store called Happybottomus (just got their online store up and going!) that I've registered at as well. Cottonbabies and Happybottomus are where I've registered for diapers and diapering accessories.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#16 of 29 Old 12-15-2008, 02:48 PM

I started making a baby list at Amazon.com. I don't really expect anyone to order anything from Amazon, but it did two things for me. One, I could start compiling an organized list of things that I want and have found to be "safe." I use thesoftlanding.com, blogs, and mothering suggestions to add to the list almost daily. Two, it helps me remember things I still need. I might end up doing a local registry too. Our town just got a Target, although I prefer the variety of things like strollers and car seats at Babies R Us. I'm just not sure that many people would go online or to another town to find out what's on our registry. Thankfully, Target does have some things like breast pumps and nursing supplies, and I've found their baby section to have a lot more variety than our other local box stores.

Also, we are definitely doing a shower AFTER the baby comes. I'm working to make sure I have our basic needs met for the first month. I'm hoping for lots of gender specific clothes and possibly a quality stroller. Encouraging people to not shower us with plastic toys and toxic baby toiletries will be hard, though. I think I'll ask for lots of books and Burt's Bees products. Those should be mainstream enough for most people to easily find.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#17 of 29 Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kssinca View Post

Also, I'm planning on exclusively breastfeeding but I am currently unemployed. If I get a job, I would need a pump but I don't know if it's better to put that on my registry now or just rent one from the hospital. If I'm still unable to find a job, I'd like to register for items that will take my baby to one year, atleast.
I'd go ahead and register for it because someone might get it for you, and/or you may get a discounted price on it if no one does, and you still need it. Rental may be the way to go for you, I don't know -- but it won't hurt to register for an electric for yourself just in case.

#18 of 29 Old 12-19-2008, 10:50 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts about Target vs. Babies R Us for registering? I'm registering at cottonbabies.com for all my diapering needs, but need a more mainstream/cheaper store for lots of other stuff. Both are available where I and my family live, though I haven't gone to either one. I'd be registering online most likely, and don't know which one I should go with.

If you have any thoughts they'd be most appreciated.
#19 of 29 Old 12-19-2008, 11:14 PM

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but...

Last time, we actually ended up registering at both, the reason being that one store would have one item in a particular pattern or style that we preferred, OR one store was slightly cheaper than the other. We didn't double up what we registered for. We registered for the item we preferred at the store that had the cheapest price.

So, for instance, both stores had the bouncy seat we wanted, but BRU was cheaper. So we registered for it there, but not at Target. But the breast pump was slightly cheaper at Target, so we registered for it there, not at BRU.

BRU has a better return policy (or at least used to). Target's return policy was a PITA -- they would only let us return things without a receipt for store credit, if it was an item we'd registered for. Which boggled my mind. If we'd registered for it, why would we need to return it? Anyway, the customer service for returns was better at BRU, but our BRU is a smaller store, so again, it ended up being easier on us (and cheaper for the shower guests) for us to actually register at both places (in addition to online, where we registered at www.nurturedfamily.com for our CDs).

It's up to you, but there's nothing wrong with registering at both. If you do though, do NOT double up your items at both stores, because then if you get something and have no gift receipt you may be stuck with duplicates, especially if the return policies have gotten stricter in the past few years.

#20 of 29 Old 12-19-2008, 11:22 PM

I've heard particularly bad things about Targets new return/exchange policy so I'd check that out. For me, that would be a deciding factor - assuming the availablility to both stores in your area is equal.

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#21 of 29 Old 12-20-2008, 12:17 AM

I technically have a registry at BRU, but there was virtually nothing there I wanted, so I made my own on TheThingsIWant. I picked stuff from a bunch of different stores. Here's a link to mine if anyone is interested...http://www.thethingsiwant.com/giftli...4fa148dfe22e1/

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#22 of 29 Old 12-20-2008, 07:45 PM

The whole registering thing is confusing, thanks for the input. I wish I had time to just go to the stores and see what they have. Some people have already bought stuff and I'd really like to wait to see what all that is before I go registering. It'd be nice to not have to return too much stuff.

Also- for all you cloth diapering mommas, did you get a changing table, or a mat, or what? Seems crazy to buy a piece of furniture just for diapering, but idk... lol
#23 of 29 Old 12-22-2008, 03:29 PM

I registered at Target and babysrus and am asking for gift certificates to the cloth diaper store in our area.

Target didn't have many things I wanted, or at least none of the " natural" products I wanted. Babysrus has some..

We don't have anything, so I'm so grateful for what we get!

Even when I was registering, I was like, " Gosh, I don't know what I want! I don't care what color the play mat is?!!"

The only really important things to me that I'm picky about are the car seat/stroller/cloth diapers and a few natural things.

Good luck!
#24 of 29 Old 12-22-2008, 04:18 PM

There is an advantage to registering at BRU - even if you aren't having a shower. Lie and say you due date is way earlier. 2 weeks after your due date you will get a 10% off coupon to finish out your registry. You can also open a BRU charge card and get 10% off (then promptly close it). So you can save 20% off. I put everything I think I need on my registry and plan to go buy most of it in a couple weeks (I already had my shower).

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#25 of 29 Old 12-30-2008, 08:01 PM

I haven't been to an actual BRU store, just looked online. I'm still going with cottonbabies but am trying to find another website.

I kinda shot myself in the foot because I told my mom I didn't want "name brand" things... I meant, I don't want any Sesame Street, Disney, Nickelodeon stuff or designer names like Ralph Lauren or Gucci. I know my child will get that stuff anyways but I would like to reduce/delay it as much as possible. But I am ok with baby brands like Osh or Carters. So she went out and bought me a bunch of stuff from the dollar store (which is fine with me) but it's all so filmsy! I don't know if it will even survive one washing!

And my mom wants me to plan/do my shower, which is fine, but I am trying to come up with the right wording regarding gifts. I will have my registry done by then but people will still want to get us stuff that isn't on the registry. My family/friends won't be offended - so not really an etiquette question. So DH came up with the following wording, "Mom-to-be prefers items that do not have tv characters on it and prefers toys that are not made in China."

Do you think that is clear? I'm trying to think if that is good enough.
#26 of 29 Old 12-30-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
I technically have a registry at BRU, but there was virtually nothing there I wanted, so I made my own on TheThingsIWant. I picked stuff from a bunch of different stores. Here's a link to mine if anyone is interested...http://www.thethingsiwant.com/giftli...4fa148dfe22e1/
Thanks for sharing! My 5yo DD and some grown up friends want to have a shower for me, but since it's #3 the things I want/need are random and mostly to replace stuff that's 'done'...this type of list might be a solution!
#27 of 29 Old 12-31-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kssinca View Post
it will even survive one washing!

And my mom wants me to plan/do my shower, which is fine, but I am trying to come up with the right wording regarding gifts. I will have my registry done by then but people will still want to get us stuff that isn't on the registry. My family/friends won't be offended - so not really an etiquette question. So DH came up with the following wording, "Mom-to-be prefers items that do not have tv characters on it and prefers toys that are not made in China."

Do you think that is clear? I'm trying to think if that is good enough.
Are there other people invited -- like your mom's friends or something? I hate to say it, but while I totally understand where you're coming from, I think you're going to offend people by telling them what they should or shouldn't buy, on the invitation.

If you're really afraid you'll get things you haven't registered for, that you'll be uncomfortable with, maybe try phrasing it in a more subtle way? I don't think clearer is better in this case. I think you'll upset some people and end up regretting it if you go with something terribly blunt.

Maybe instead of the comment on characters, put something about your nursery theme, for instance: "Nursery colors are pale blues and greens. Theme is soft watercolors" (or clouds, or whatever really vague thing you can think of).

Could something like that work? If you provide a vague enough "theme" for your nursery, then I think you can avoid the whole character clothing or gear theme thing entirely without offending people. You're giving them a nudge in the right direction, away from a blatant character-based "theme." Though keep in mind if you list something like, "jungle theme" then yeah, you might get some Curious George stuff. Or a "princess theme" is guaranteed to bring in the Disney Princess junk. Stick with very vague things. Our "theme" was shabby chic. No one bought us character stuff. I actually bought some Classic Winnie the Pooh things because I'm fine with it. But we didn't put any mention of it on the registry, because we were afraid we'd be inundated with the Disney stuff. It worked. We weren't.

I would not, however, put anything on there about made in China, personally. If they're buying you something you did not register for, hopefully you can return it. But unless you're 100% certain that none of the items you've registered for were made in China, I wouldn't say anything on the invitation. Spread the word informally that you prefer made in America or non-MiC, or European-based toys, etc. Mention the new regulations that will begin to take effect next month here in the US but aren't yet nationwide. But I wouldn't put any mention of it on the invitation. I think you'll alienate some people. If a friend of mine put that on her invitation, I'd be a bit put off, honestly. I'd understand her reasoning, but it would still sting a bit and make me less excited about wanting to buy her something really special. Hopefully people will be smart enough to figure out that you wouldn't want any MiC stuff if you're registered for all natural, organic, etc., goodies.

#28 of 29 Old 12-31-2008, 02:32 AM

I don't know why I"m having so much trouble with the baby registry... it wasn't like this when we did our wedding registry! And no matter what I tell my mom to pass on, I know some people just won't listen. I already said that I wanted gender neutral because we want to have more babies but the stuff I have received were more boyish in nature. I said we were cloth diapering and breastfeeding and I've gotten a ton of disposables and formula. And I'm starting to get designer clothing. This is the first baby boy born in our family afters years of girl babies so I know everyone is excited but it's like, were you even listening?!?

Part of me wants to say, please, no gifts but then my family feels insulted. And out of the presents I have received so far, only one gift receipt.

We don't have a nursery and I'd like to keep the toys and whatnots to a minimum since we don't have the space in our house. I just have visions that we're going to have tons of crap lying around and it's freaking me out.

DH says that we can just sell whatever we don't like/want but I'm worried I'll get caught that I sold it when they ask about the item. The only thing I really *need* is a carseat. Maybe I should just put that on my registry and leave it at that?
#29 of 29 Old 12-31-2008, 01:14 PM

Oh bless your heart, I would definitely register for things you like, because there are surely going to be some people who pay attention and want to get you what you need and want rather than what they want you to have. The sooner you register, the sooner folks can see what kinds of things you do like, too. So try not to be so discouraged you don't register for the things you truly want.

And I wouldn't worry a bit about what you do with the things you don't like after. Once a gift is given, it's no longer the giver's -- it's yours. You can do with it whatever you like. You have no obligation to prove you kept it.

I know how stressful it can be to put together a registry, and I wasn't trying to add to your stress with my suggestions about wording on the invitation. I just think this is one of those choose your battles moments. In the long run some people won't remember what they gave you, but they will remember if they were offended or not. At least that's how it is where I live. People tend to be old-fashioned at times.

Sorry it's stressing you out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page