Weekly chit-chat thread July 6th-12th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope you all had a great week! I was offline a lot, spending time with the family and getting my house clean.

Topic for the week: Has everyone met/chosen their care providers and finalized the decision for a birth place? What factors affected your decision?
#2 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 10:51 AM

I like having a topic for the week! Good idea!

I meet with my midwife a week from tomorrow. I decided to use a midwife because I really want a natural homebirth and I relate better to the model of care that midwives have. I want a natural birth because I feel it's the safest for my baby and me and I think a homebirth is my best chance of having a natural birth because it is the perfect environment for me to do what comes naturally. The idea of going to a hospital to give birth scares me - I know I would be nervous and anxious (not the best moods for giving birth) and probably more likely to say 'yes' to an intervention that I don't really want.

I am really excited about my appointment next week!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#3 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 12:35 PM

I'm using the midwife that I used last time. Last time, I switched to her when I was pretty close to due, so I'm not sure what to expect at the beginning with a midwife. She's awesome though. I'll be deciding on home or birth center later. It was nice to birth at the birth center in that big tub, but I hated putting my 4 hour old baby into a car seat and getting onto the hwy. I'd much rather do it at home, but don't have a big deep tub. A blow up birthing tub doesn't appeal to me and neither does birthing out of the water.

I've done 3 hospital births and one birthing center birth. I think I'd like to do it at home this time.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#4 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I am having my third homebirth with a midwife. I think. I have always wanted to have an unassisted birth, and would have when I was pregnant with my third son, but we were living with my parents and they were barely comfortable with the idea of a homebirth, let alone an unattended one. With my daughter, I had an unassisted pregnancy but hired a midwife late in my third trimester because I had a "feeling" I could not overcome that something was going to go wrong. I was right, I had a postpartum hemmorhage. I planned to try again for a UC when I became pregnant again but that pregnancy ended in miscarriage and I hemmorhaged badly. I hired the same midwife that attended my first homebirth but now I am beginning to falter in my decision and I'm again considering a UC but plan to be very prepared for bleeding problems afterwards. I'm not sure at this point but after my conversation with my husband last night he may be onboard with the idea of UCing.
#5 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 02:01 PM

We interviewed three homebirth midwives last year, in November, before my miscarriage.

We'll do a second interview with one of them, but we're pretty sure we
know which one we're using, by process of elimination.

One attended my m/c and argued harshly and continually FOR circumcision, while I lay crying and having contractions on the bed. I will NOT be using anyone so misinformed and with poor choice of timing again.

The other proported beating babies, starting around 9 months, to keep them in line. Again....not much to wonder about there. Too bad, she's one of the most incredibly experienced and cool-about-birthing midwives in the area. (And very well-loved on MDC. One of her MDC clients now knows the whole story, but she's the only one I've told.)

The one we'll use is very laid back and has attended for two generations now. She seems very nice and I look forward to calling her (tomorrow) to get set up with her.

Birthing is definitely planned for home, no questions asked. I have no back-up plan yet, as we moved since we had DS.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#6 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 03:15 PM

All : that I remember to call the midwife's office tomorrow. I've been meaning to do it for a week. I just keep forgetting completely with all the crap that is going on here.

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#7 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 03:59 PM

I haven't had an appointment yet. For now the plan is to see the German dr at the hospital for awhile and then I guess I switch later to a midwife who will do a home birth. That's what they told me in the insurance office anyway. I had my daughter in a military hospital so this will be very different

military wife to Eric, mommy to Ani 11/06 and Emi 2/09 and our angels angel1.gif 12/10, and angel1.gif 2/12 and our newest addition Izzy 4/13

#8 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 05:12 PM

I will be doing a hospital birth. That is my only option as we don't have any midwives here. My Dr is a friend of mine so I am very comfortable with this decision. I plan on a natural childbirth at the hospital with out interventions. My own Dr did the same so I know she won't try to push me into something that I don't want.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#9 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 06:33 PM

I have my midiwfe -- she's the same one I've been seeing for years for my yearly exams, and she delivered my daughter.

I will probably be having another birth center delivery -- though it is really more like a hospital that just specializes in L&D, really.

Last time I considered a homebirth but ultimately ruled it out, and while my experience at the birth center wasn't ideal, it was a good thing I ended up going there as I hemorrhaged badly after birth.

We live very far out, and I'll be over 40 when this baby arrives. I'm not comfortable with a purposeful homebirth, and my husband is frankly terrified of the notion I think. But I did tell my midwife this time I'm leaving the birth center as soon as I want to. Last time I let the pediatricians on rounds basically bully me into staying two nights. I was so exhausted I was in tears. Not doing that again this time.

If I were ten years younger, and lived closer to town, I'd consider a homebirth. But since I'm not and we don't, I'm okay with the compromise.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#10 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 07:00 PM

Well, I finalized my plans/provider but it wasn't by my choosing. I am having a scheduled c-section at Ohio State with my perinatologist. It will be around 37 weeks--not only because I have some major PTSD after losing Ryland during birth, but also because of my blood condition.

I would just love a homebirth though...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#11 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 07:13 PM

I too would love a homebirth, but for dh sanity & mine we will be at a hospital this time (hopefully for #2 we can do a homebirth). I meet with my dr, on the 14th. She is one of the best in town & came highly reccomended, I am hoping she is as wonderful and supportive about natural childbirth as I have been told she is. If not, I will keep on searching.

Mommy to Abigail 2/09hearts.gif and Ollie 3/11energy.gif

#12 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We live two hours from the nearest hospital, so midwives are not permitted to practice here. I've caught babies here in the clinic and in the back of the ambulance ... and while they've gone okay, it's not what I want for me, although that is an option; waiting until it's too late to transfer so we have no choice but to deliver at our wee little clinic. But there's no infant resus equipment, and in February, we have about eight feet of snow, and the medivac flights can't fly in bad weather. Sooooooo.....

So we've decided to have a homebirth at my sister's place in the city, near to resources, and with a midwife team. We met our midwife briefly the other day, and have our first full appointment in a couple of weeks. Hopefully we can get down to the city in time. I don't want to be hanging out there for weeks. I hope to start the first contractions, and then start driving. Crazy? It's a three hour drive, and if there's snow, then it can take up to five hours. My goodness ... sounds a little nuts.

I will see one of the local doctors up here so that someone is in the know about our plans.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#13 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 11:13 PM

I'm not as crunchy as a lot of mamas here, so I will be with the same ob I've had for several years. I really like her and she is not pushy in any way. We will be at a hospital unless the baby decides to make a quicker than anticipated appearance!

Weekend was pretty rough overall...I am so glad it was a looong weekend. I see my dr tomorrow...we'll see what she has to say. I think there is bloodwork planned this time.
#14 of 85 Old 07-06-2008, 11:19 PM

I am planning on a hospital birth without interventions. We live in a very rural area and there are no midwives close by... the closest doula willing to drive to us is 180 miles away from us. Hopefully everything will go a-ok and I can attempt a homebirth the 2nd time around.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#15 of 85 Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 AM

With the same MW and family friend who saved my dd from death in our failed homebirth. She is amazing! I love her!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#16 of 85 Old 07-07-2008, 12:57 AM
tak

Hi all! I'm new.

I found out I was pregnant on a Saturday and got into my normal Dr. on Monday. He doesn't do maternity so we discussed my options. I have mild hypertension and a history of severe depression so my options were either a midwife AND keep seeing my Dr. and hope nothing goes sideways, or a doctor who specializes in maternity (not an ob/gyn) and runs a group practice. I'd heard great things about said doctor and, in the end, decided to go that route as this is my first and I tend to be rather paranoid about things going wrong.

I met her for the first time when I was a day shy of 7 weeks and she was wonderful, very reassuring when I started to cry (I have issues with my body) and just a great, down-to-earth person, obviously committed to her patients. She started a group practice in town about 6 years ago. She works with 5 other women -- each has their own office and sees their patients for appointments, and then they work a rotating call schedule for labour/birth -- so if I go into labour the day my dr. is on call I'll have her, but if it's another day I'll have one of the other dr.s, who I'll have already met several times by then. The plus is that the doctor is well-rested and will stay with you through the labour and birth.

The practice has the same c-section rate as midwife practices in our city, which is a very reassuring stat. I'm very happy with my decision.
#17 of 85 Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 AM

Welcome, tak.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#18 of 85 Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 AM

We haven't chosen a midwife yet, but will plan a homebirth. There are two homebirth midwives in my town, so we will be talking to them first. We live 1000 and 100 miles away from the other two places I have birthed, so we will be picking a new midwife. I have an appointment with one on Wednesday. I spoke with her on the phone and really liked her, so if things go well on Wednesday we will go with her. Also, I started having a bit of spotting yesterday, very light brown/pink spotting which I have had in my previous pregnancies, so I am not that worried, but it does make me anxious to pick a provider.
#19 of 85 Old 07-07-2008, 12:39 PM

After much consideration I decided to stick with the Midwife I found. I'll be having a hospital birth, but a natural one. Then I hope my midwife will get me out of there as soon as she can.

I'm having some spotting today as well. I think it has to do with DH and I having too much fun on Saturday and Sunday. I called the office and told them about it. It's pretty light and pink. They said to just wait and see so that's what I'm doing. It seems to be getting lighter now.

Hubby spent a decent amount of time this weekend making a baby web page, so this had better be nothing.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#20 of 85 Old 07-07-2008, 01:09 PM

I was just saying to DH this morning that I'm looking forward to having my midwife situation all settled!

I'm going to plan for a homebirth but haven't got my midwife settled yet. I spoke to two midwives on the phone and set up "consults" with each of them. I clicked more with one than the other, but that was just a short phone conversation so I'll wait to meet them both before deciding. I'm meeting one of them next Monday, and the other one (the one I clicked more with) in mid-August, because she's on vacation now. After those consultations, I'll set up a first appt and FINALLY start my prenatal care.

Except that I can't wait to hear the heartbeat. After having a m/c a few years ago, I just won't be sure I'm pg until I know the tiny one has survived 8weeks, and don't want to wait until 12 weeks to learn that my embryo had died 5 weeks earlier, like that time. So I'm going to a hospital midwife this Thursday for a first appt. I'm already not so much liking her and her practice, but my insurance covers her 100% and I really only want her for her ultrasound wand

I think my nausea is getting better - at least it's mostly relegated to the late afternoon and evening now. I still have to exert extreme self control to floss my teeth at night and I always go to bed nauseous, but I haven't had a saltine in days. I'm just more tired now, and everything feels like a chore. I have a really hard time bringing myself to cook and am feeling like a bad mom, giving my DS takeout 3 times a week.

And DH is going out of town to a conference later this week and I'll be on my own with my 2 yo DS for 3 days. Wish me luck, I'll need it. I hope he doesn't hate me by the end of it.
#21 of 85 Old 07-07-2008, 01:20 PM

hi,
just joining in this group today.
i'm due feb 5th with my 3rd.
I plan to have a homebirth.
i live in london (i'm american though) and midwives are provided free of charge on the NHS (gotta love national health care!)
last time i was very happy with my midwives as they just sat back and let me do it.
this time i am with a nationally recognized midwife group who are as good as it gets, so i am really pleased!

looking forward to chatting with everyone.
#22 of 85 Old 07-07-2008, 02:36 PM

I thought my morning sickness was conquered over the weekend, but it came back this morning worse than I've ever had it (still without the pukes though thank God!). I had to lay down in front of the window with a cool breeze blowing on me taking deep breaths and praying it would pass. Ugh!

And I'm still so tired! My appetite has seemed to increase though.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#23 of 85 Old 07-07-2008, 03:39 PM

I ought to drop in this chat chat thread more often.

We are having our third homebirth (likely third waterbirth) and will be using the same midwifery practice I've used before. But this time the primary midwife will be the apprentice in the practice, who is also a good friend. I have another appointment next week, but it will still be too early to hear the hb.

I'm gonna tentatively say my nausea is getting better too. But now I'm super-duper tired!

Christine, mama to Ava (7.05), Alder (5.07), Sadie (2.09) and #4 due mid-July 2011! 
#24 of 85 Old 07-07-2008, 04:15 PM

Yep, I slept for a while this afternoon while DH and DS worked on the tractor. That was a nice treat. I'm sitting here feeling queasy and sleepy, with so much to do. I have NO appetite today and not eating is part of why I don't feel crappy, I think. I need to go eat something anyway.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#25 of 85 Old 07-07-2008, 06:25 PM

Well, I finally called the midwives office. My first appt is scheduled for Friday the 18th. :

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#26 of 85 Old 07-07-2008, 07:57 PM

I am planning on a homebirth. There are three midwives within a 90 mile radius of me. I have contacted the two closest and have an appt set up with one for Wednesday. The other I learned some not so great info on and will wait to see how my appt on Wednesday goes before committing to even a consult. The third is the farthest at about 90 miles away and I am only planning on calling her if the other two just don't work. All three are pretty religous and I am not, but...I can deal with that.
I just bought some liquid iron supplement--have been sooooo tired lately and I was anemic with my last pregnancy. I am hoping to have a bit more energy soon.
I am 10 weeks today :

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#27 of 85 Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 AM

9 weeks today!

I'm having a hosp/birth center birth, like my first 2. We're really rural also, there aren't any midwives close enough, especially in Feb when we have big snow storms. My second labor was quick, 2.5 hrs from the first consistant, painless contractions to delivery. It was way faster than I expected, and I delivered w/in the 1hr of arriving at the hospital. I'm just hoping this one isn't faster, but I'll be researching just in case the weather is too bad for us to make the 20 mi trip to the birth center. I've been pretty pleased with the other 2 there, and am comfortable that I'll be calling the shots and doing things naturally.

MS is tapering off, I still feel tired tho. My belly is just kinda popped yesterday, I'm starting to look more than bloated. I'm hoping it doesn't grow too fast this week, I'm in a wedding next weekend and while the dress will fit, I don't want to look to obviously pregnant. We haven't told anyone yet, nor want to for a few more weeks.
#28 of 85 Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 AM

well we interviewed one birth center. The main midwife was home sleeping after three births in one weekend. So we got to meet the other one. The center was nice, the people were nice. They can not promise a homebirth, b/c if they have another woman in labor then i have to go in to the birthcenter.

I forgot my questions and my mind always goes blank when on the spot.

I have one other midwife to call. She is homebirth only. i really need to call her up today and set up a meeting.

So I am going to set up a thread for questions to ask your potential birth provider. Chime in everyone. What do you have?

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#29 of 85 Old 07-08-2008, 12:42 PM

Hi all--another new member. This question really, really stresses me out. I don't know! Augh!!

I'm an American living in the UK and I'll be moving back home to the greater Boston area when I'm about 20-odd weeks along. This is the reverse of what happened before, which was moving to the UK from the US at 16 weeks. It's not a good trans-Atlantic move unless I'm pregnant, apparently. :P

So, anyone know good OBs/midwives/doulas in the NW of Boston suburbs?

(Due late Feb w/#2.)
#30 of 85 Old 07-08-2008, 12:43 PM

Jewelysmommy, there are very thorough lists of questions for providers at this thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=507722

Thought you might be interested.

And La Marmotte, welcome back. I suggest you ask on your local tribe: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...aysprune=&f=83

I look forward to hearing how it goes with you in MA, with their newish universal health plan.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page