Anyone NOT getting any tests done? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 07-06-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious. My doc offered the latest Nuchal Scan test which needs to be done by week 13. This is the latest in detecting any genetic defects, etc. About a 75% accuracy if done early and a 95% accuracy if done between week 16-18/ I had it done with my 2nd just because it was non-invasive and it was the cutting edge technology offered at the time through Northwestern Hospital in Chicago. Now, however, I'm being offered it because I will be 35 when I deliver this one, my third. Even though it is recommended, I kind of don't feel like going through it. I think I just want to think positively and go off the assumption that everything is ok so far. The fact that I'm considered in the higher risk group simply because of my age makes me more nervous about going through this test. Of course, they offer all the other tests too, Triple Screen, Amnio, CVS, etc. etc, which I am not going to take. (Amnio and CVS too invasive and Triple Screen has too high of a false positive rate for us "older" moms!)

Is anyone simply NOT going to take any of these tests? ARe you nervous about not having that extra affirmation that everything is ok? Would love to hear from all of you mamas!

Thanks

Libby
#2 of 26 Old 07-06-2008, 10:07 PM

I will not be doing any testing. I honestly haven't even decided if I will have an ultrasound at all. If I do it won't be until 20 weeks.

I had a false positive come up when I was pg with my LO. She had a 1 in 40 chance of having downs. It was a horrible stressful time and I ended up getting pressured into getting an amnio and the wait for those results was horrible. Of course, everything came back just fine.

I just want to be able to relax with this pregnancy and not worry. We have no family history of any problems so I am really not worried about it.

BTW, I will be 36 when this one is born.
#3 of 26 Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 PM

none of those tests for me. I would like an ultrasound or 2 Mostly just to make sure everything is okay, as I am a nervous 1st time momma

Mommy to Abigail 2/09hearts.gif and Ollie 3/11energy.gif

#4 of 26 Old 07-06-2008, 10:45 PM

Actually, my perinatologist doesn't want me to get any of those tests (besides the AFP, but only because it also can check for placenta function, and I'm high risk for blood clots, etc. to the placenta--so that's the only reason he recommends it for me). He said I can have them if I want them, but with my history, and my current high risk-ness, he said all these tests would do is give me more anxiety if they came back with a false positive. Since I said I wouldn't abort, and he's giving me an ultrasound at every appointment to check for IUGR and clots, and I'll be delivering at a huge medical school hospital, he said I'm good to skip them if I'd like. So I will. I don't need the extra stress... : Since I'm having an early c-birth, I won't need the GBS test either. I'll probably take the glucose one, only because I don't feel like fighting them about it--we have a family history of diabetes and gestational diabetes, so I'm not quite sure I could win that fight with the doctor, and it doesn't bother me either way. But none of the other screening tests.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#5 of 26 Old 07-06-2008, 10:53 PM

popping in from the oct ddc

i'm 35. so far i've had no tests and no scans. mostly because i'm trying to do this pg a little differently from the last, and also because we pay out of pocket for the prenatal care. i may volunteer at my local tech for one of the sonography students, just to make sure babe is grossly intact. i may not.
#6 of 26 Old 07-06-2008, 11:29 PM

No tests for us! I could have an u/s to see if this little one has craniosynostosis (congenital premature skull joint fusion) like our son did, but I'd rather not know ahead of time if this babe did.

None of the the screenings interest me at all.

We don't go for internal exams or any blood work or anything. I did do the urine checks last time and am fine with that again.

If there are any indicators of a problem, I will reconsider my decisions.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#7 of 26 Old 07-07-2008, 12:10 AM

not doing the tests.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#8 of 26 Old 07-07-2008, 12:15 AM

Nothing! No US, nothing at all!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#9 of 26 Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 AM

We will not be doing any tests for genetic issues but we will be doing the 20-week anatomy scan.
#10 of 26 Old 07-07-2008, 06:43 AM

My Dr talked about something that could be done to check for downs around 12 weeks, but we arnt going to do it. He also said there was a blood test at 16 weeks which he reccomended but that he didnt forsee any issues so Im thinking I might not. He also does the whole anatomy check thing at 20 weeks so Im thinking I will wait for that.
#11 of 26 Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 AM

just having my blood tested for aneamia because i tend to get it, and a 20 week scan because i love to see them inutero.
other than that, nothing.
#12 of 26 Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 AM

I don't plan to do any tests either. I refused them with my last pregnancy too- although I did have one ultrasound at about 15 weeks when I had been spotting for a while and the midwife couldn't find the heartbeat. So we had a peek inside and everything was fine. He was just turned in a funny way so that it was hard to pick up his heartbeat on the doppler.
#13 of 26 Old 07-07-2008, 01:01 PM

I'll be the odd woman out, but I'm having the nuchal fold scan done at 12 weeks. Last time we had the quad screen (no amnio though) and met with a genetic counselor and it was very reassuring for us. I deal with things much better when I have as much information as possible. It's the no clue at all status that drives me to anxiety.

I will not have the glucose test unless am spilling sugar in my urine.

I'll be 40 when the baby is born.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#14 of 26 Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 PM

No tests for us either. We'll I'll have to get one u/s to make sure the placenta isn't implanted in my scar so that I can VBAC, but that wont be until after 30 wks.

Last time we got pretty much everything - I didn't really even know I had a choice. THis time I'm just trying to be more relaxed and trust my body.

Mommy to DS1 5/07 and DS2 1/09 , wife to an awesome hubby. And someone new coming in March!
#15 of 26 Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM

I'm with Nighten - I'm going to have the nuchal fold screen. I think it boils down to whether you would go through with the pregnancy if you knew there was a chromosomal abnormality. That's a very personal decision.
#16 of 26 Old 07-07-2008, 05:50 PM

I will be having at least 5 ultrasounds (6w, 10w, 20w, 28w, 36w) because I am high risk and we need to keep tabs on the placenta and growth. No other testing will be done.
#17 of 26 Old 07-07-2008, 06:17 PM

We are not having any of the chromosomal abnormality tests, because we would keep the baby regardless, and don't want to stress about a possible false positive (plus the risk of some of the tests to the baby and pregnancy).
#18 of 26 Old 07-07-2008, 06:37 PM

We'll get an u/s or 2 and I will do the diabetes testing since my sis has it and I get my iron tested a couple times, but no amnio or nuchal fold tests.

military wife to Eric, mommy to Ani 11/06 and Emi 2/09 and our angels angel1.gif 12/10, and angel1.gif 2/12 and our newest addition Izzy 4/13

#19 of 26 Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess View Post
Nothing! No US, nothing at all!
:
#20 of 26 Old 07-10-2008, 11:03 AM

I will be having a dating ultrasound, only cause I dont' know when i got PG. I have an idea, but there are 2 possibilities that are a month apart, and since my periods were all screwey anyway, i'd rather find out by ultrasound a date and not have them want to induce because i was late according to my LMP. Other than that no tests. I skipped al tem teh last 3 times and will this time as well. I dont' do the glucose screen as it has never been an issue. I'm not sure about eht 20 week scan yet.. may do a second ultrasound to make sure placenta etc are all fine. I have some uterus prolapse and they cautioned abot where my placenta forms in future pregnancies due to this. (not sure why... since it hasnt' been a real problem before.. but guess i'll ask next visit,) I'm also only doing 1/2 the prenatal visits. No need to go get wieghed na measured every month. Seem kinda silly to me.
#21 of 26 Old 07-10-2008, 12:35 PM

This time around I'm leaning toward no tests- maybe 1 ultrasound. Last time I got the quad screen and 3 ultrasounds because I was still an unenlightened sheeple at the time. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with getting tests, I'm just saying I got them because they were *there*, not based on any actual consideration on my part.

I'm not totally against having any relavant information, but I'm not sure what all the issues are. Does anyone know where I can find good information on this topic? For example, I know people say that the tests return a false positive more often for older moms,do you know where I can find this info?
#22 of 26 Old 07-10-2008, 12:44 PM

All we will be doing is listening with the doppler and urine tests for protein, ketones etc as well as weight and fundal height. I've been considering doing an U/S out of pocket around 20 weeks this time just to make sure all is ok.

:
#23 of 26 Old 07-10-2008, 10:18 PM

InDaPhunk
This is all about ultrasound safety or at least about questioning US safety:
http://www.icpa4kids.org/research/pr...ultrasound.htm

With my first pregnancy I did minimal testing and NO us--this one I kind of want an US...not sure why though.

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#24 of 26 Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 AM

I'm also very interested in knowing the rates of false results of the nuchal screen, but specifically false negatives. This midwife I saw yesterday gave me a big scare tactic about being 35 and needing to have an amnio, and I said I'd do the nuchal because it is so much lower risk and if it showed a high probablility of chromosomal probs, then I'd do the amnio. So she said "but what if the nuchal screen says you have a low probability but it turns out to be wrong?" So I'd like to know - you hear a lot about false positives but not a lot about false negatives.
#25 of 26 Old 07-11-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid View Post
I'm also very interested in knowing the rates of false results of the nuchal screen, but specifically false negatives. This midwife I saw yesterday gave me a big scare tactic about being 35 and needing to have an amnio, and I said I'd do the nuchal because it is so much lower risk and if it showed a high probablility of chromosomal probs, then I'd do the amnio. So she said "but what if the nuchal screen says you have a low probability but it turns out to be wrong?" So I'd like to know - you hear a lot about false positives but not a lot about false negatives.
My midwife gave me a brochure for "GeneCare Early Screen" so I Googled it. There are stats on this page: http://www.genecare.com/21/id/EARLYS...rimesterScreen

It looks like if you get ultrasound of the nuchal fold and the nasal bone, combined with the hCG and plasma protein, it catches 91% of Down syndrome and 97% of Trisomy 13 or 18 babies.

(Oh, so as for me and testing, right now it looks like we'll be doing mid-trimester ultrasound, GTT, and GBS swab. I think I'm declining the NT and quad screen, because I don't think there's anything those show that I'd act on, compared with just the ultrasound.)
#26 of 26 Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the website on gene-care Alison-in-oh. That provided some of the information that I didn't feel I got from my doctor. He wrote an article on NT, but it was pretty basic and didn't have all the statistics that this one offered. I'm still debating (although I better make up my mind soon!) about the NT. I did it with dd#2 because it was offered and it was so comforting from the beginning to know that these are at least a couple of things I didn't have to worry about.
This time, however, I'm not sure I want to deal with taking the test at all. I need to think on it a little more......In any case, thanks for all the comments mamas!

Libby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page