Weekly chat thread July 21st-July 27th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Evidently I slacked off starting a new weekly thread. So here we are.

I felt my baby move today. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh congratulations! How wonderful!!! You're exactly one week ahead of me. Hopefully mine will be doing feel-able flips soon.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post

I felt my baby move today. :
Congratulations!

I'm pretty sure I felt something today, too, but I wasn't sure it was possible. I'll hope that it is, even tho I'm only at 11 weeks. I was rocking ds to sleep and I swear I felt a little swimming senstaion below where ds was resting on my lower tummy. I know it wasn't gas, maybe the extra pressure made me more sensitive. I'm still waiting for any sign that this whole thing is truly "for real". I have my 1st of 2 ultrasounds next week, and I'm just dying to hear the hearbeat for the first time!

Not much new around here, we've been insanely busy and I haven't been focusing too much on being pregnant. I still have no appetite, but the MS has calmed down and my energy is somewhat returning.

I did get my floradix in the mail today! I'm waiting to try it before dinner and hope that it helps with my iron levels. Thanks to all of you for your recommendations and help, I went with the liquid. Wish me luck!
#4 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 05:25 PM

Had my first midwife appointment today. It was great! Heard the baby for about 2 seconds before it ran and hid...

My midwife is also my eldest dd best friend's mom so we spent a petty good chunk of time planning a trip to the local fair...which when I think about it, is pretty funny and cool all at the same time!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#5 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 05:25 PM

Hey CandyApple and DreamsInDigital, that's very exciting!

I am riding the hormone horse down a rocky path today. Lurching between bouts of nausea and desperate hunger all day, exhausted, can't remember a thought from one moment to the next, and stressed about my move next week.

I think my uterus had a growth spurt yesterday. I felt that crowded straining feeling in my pelvis and lower back. Then I started getting that odd breathlessness so familiar from my last pg. I've had it all day today too. I have a short torso, maybe my lower organs are crowding my lungs already? Last night was also definitely the last time I let DS fall asleep on me lying on my back. I was uncomfortable lying on my back. I thought I'd have another couple weeks for that but nope, there was that heart pounding after a few minutes.

Funny how you can love an experience and hate it at the same time.
#6 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 06:00 PM

Oh I'm so jealous of you Dreams! I don't even know what 'feeling the baby move' feels like. But hopefully I'll experience it soon. I'll be 11 weeks tomorrow and I'm actually feeling a little anxious right now because I feel a bit better today. I'm not super exhausted and I actually feel like I could eat something without gagging. I'm torn between happy that maybe the first trimester is winding down and nervous that it seems too early for it to be winding down. I guess I'm just crazy.

I had a question I keep forgetting to ask - every so often I get this ewcm looking stuff when I wipe. Is this normal?

And can someone reassure me that it's okay that my pants still fit? I feel like they should at least be getting uncomfortable at this point. It is only my first though.

I guess I'm just having a worry day.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#7 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 06:35 PM

Perfectly normal for you pants to still fit you with your first baby at 11 weeks. I am having my 4th baby and I still have several pairs of jeans that fit me, and I will be 12 weeks on Friday.

I am still nauseated on a daily basis, but it really seems alot milder this time around. I am hoping and praying that my MS will be leaving a little earlier with this baby, but I am not counting on it. It lasted until 16 weeks with my first two and longer than that with my 3rd. But generally speaking, the MS doesn't seem as bad to me this time around as it was with my first 4 pregnancies.

I go for my NL ultrasound/blood test on Monday. Do you think they could possibly pick up the gender at a 12 week scanning? I have read that it's definitely possible. I wonder.
#8 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 06:55 PM

Gillian, most women experience increased CM during pregnancy. I remember at one point last time just breaking down and buying a box of liners and wearing one everyday, it got so, um, excessive.

It's totally normal I think. Ditto with the pants thing. Some mamas pooch out early (like me) some not until later. But I'm really short and I think that's got a lot to do with it. The taller you are, the longer it takes to show, I've heard.

Larissa, it's possible but I wouldn't count it as 100% accurate at all this early. It honestly depends on the skill of the technician taking the scan. I've heard it's more likely accurate if they see the three lines (girl) than simply not seeing a penis, and I've also heard it's more accurate if they see both penis and scrotum to determine boy, so that would have to be past this stage I think? I was 16 weeks last time and it was definite in the level two u/s that I was having a girl. But the baby cooperated, too. Either way good luck and let us know what happens! I'm for sure going to ask at my nuchal scan, just in case, too.

Citykid, I'm sorry you're having a rollercoaster time right now. I totally understand. It's been hard lately for sure. And I hate it because one minute I'm normal and the next my patience level is just shot and I've got a really short temper.

My nausea is definitely improving though (hooray!) and my appetite's improving but nothing seems very appetizing which is bizarre. I've been just kind of making myself eat -- and I'm hungry but just not happy with the food that's in the house.

Though last weekend we went to a tapas restaurant and that was like Pregnant Mama Heaven. Seriously. Small portions and *so* many different things to choose from. Between me an mr. nighten, we had probably 8 dishes. It was delightful. Oh my goodness, makes me want to go back there so badly. Only it wasn't cheap and we usually go out to eat in a fancy place maybe once a year, max. Oh well.

#9 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
Oh I'm so jealous of you Dreams! I don't even know what 'feeling the baby move' feels like. But hopefully I'll experience it soon.
And can someone reassure me that it's okay that my pants still fit? I feel like they should at least be getting uncomfortable at this point. It is only my first though.
Me too--I'm so anxious! But I have no idea what I'm waiting to feel, especially since there have been so many strange intestinal feelings going on in there lately.

As for the pants still fitting, be happy! Mine still fit but things are getting a little snug, especially at the end of the day. I'm bidding on a bella band on Ebay, which I'm hoping will be nice enough to wear to work and extend my wardrobe a little.

#10 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Baby movements are usually felt a little earlier in multips, mamas who have had babies already, rather than primips. My first pregnancy I didn't feel a bit of movement until 15 weeks so don't worry if you haven't felt baby yet! Soon enough you will and it is just awesome!

My pants still fit too, actually they are a little loose because I've lost about 10 lbs. I can't even feel my uterus at all yet.
#11 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 08:32 PM

Thanks, nighten! I'll ask for sure then. It certainly can't hurt to ask.
#12 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 PM

I expect it will be a bit before I feel the baby, with my larger than normal uterus, and normal sized fetus. There's a lot of empty space for the bean to roll around in.
My pants still fit, but I'm still loosing weight, too. I've lost another 2 lbs or so in the past 4 or 5 days. Which is concerning, b/c I haven't ben throwing up very much lately. But, I'm trying not to worry too much.

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#13 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 PM

Last time it was almost 19 weeks I think before I felt her for sure. Only I'd been feeling her but thought it was gas.

Then I realized it was like really rhythmic gas. Little tiny bubbles of gas. And suddenly I was like IT'S THE BABY!!!

And it wasn't long after (like days I think) that you could feel it with your hand on my tummy.

My mom said it was like a fish swimming in her. I've heard other people who've described it as a fluttering feel, like a butterfly. But mine felt like there was a little person inside me blowing bubble gum bubbles.

#14 of 63 Old 07-23-2008, 11:41 PM

here is a song about what it feels like (by an MDC momma no less)

It is very normal to not feel movement or even get a belly this early in your first pregnancy. This time I felt first movement yesterday at 11 weeks. With my first it was further along, at first I thought it was gas, and then it dawned on me that it was the baby. This past movement yesterday was a flutter, almost like the baby rolled over.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#15 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 12:03 AM

Aw, that's precious, Thursday Girl! Congrats.

(Ohohoh! and you should change your sig to fetus. Baby's growing up! )

#16 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 12:40 AM

Courtney, it says that video is no longer available. I'd love to hear it, so I was wondering if you had another link.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#17 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 AM

I didn't feel movement with my first baby until about 18-19 weeks, but it's true with your first, you don't really know what it feels like, so you could certainly miss it.

With my 2nd I started to feel flutters between 11-12 weeks. It didn't seem possible, but it would happen every afternoon, when I'd lay down on my tummy.

Sadly enough . . . I just don't remember with my 3rd, but I am certain it was later than 12 weeks. I think it was more like 15-16 weeks.

I am 12 weeks tomorrow, and havn't really felt anything yet.
#18 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Baby movements are usually felt a little earlier in multips
Really? I didn't feel movement with my twins until I was almost 5 months along! I figured it was b/c they were so squished in there that they didn't have room to move. But it was also my first pregnancy so maybe I didn't know what to look for. I am 12 weeks today and definitely haven't felt any movement! Maybe my babies just sleep so much in the womb, and that's why they NEVER sleep once they're born

Also, none of my pants fit, either! I had to go out and buy a couple pair of low-rise shorts just so I'd have something to wear. My mom tells me I look 4 months pregnant and is certain that I must be having twins again... :

Mama to 3 little boys plus someone new in the new year!

#19 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 11:07 AM

Thank you everyone for answering my questions! I'm feeling better today (well actually I'm feeling sick again, which makes me feel better ).

I've been trying to spend some time lying still and really focusing to see if I can feel anything. So far nothing, but I'll keep trying!

I'm going to have one ultrasound this pregnancy (if all goes well), and I really want to know the sex. The way my appts are spaced I'll see the midwife at 18 weeks and then at 22 weeks. I'm not sure which time she'll do the ultrasound. I'd like to do it at 18 weeks just because I'm so anxious, but then I was thinking it might be too early to see the gender, but I guess I'm wrong about that!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#20 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 11:19 AM

18 weeks is definitely far enough along to determine gender. My friend found out at 14 weeks!
#21 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 11:19 AM

I really can't remember when I felt movement with my 1st since it was 12.5 yrs ago. With my 2nd I felt it around 13 weeks. This time I am pretty sure that I felt some little flutters yesterday and then just now as I was typing I felt it again. I am 11 weeks. I think you know what to look for just a little bit more with each pregnancy but maybe it has more to do with where the baby is in your uterus.

I wish I could decide if I want to find out the sex of this babe or not. Part of me really wants to wait but another part of me wants to get mentally prepared if I am having another girl. We will only be getting the one u/s so I have a while to make that decision still thankfully. Maybe I am just tired of everyone asking me about it.
#22 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 AM

go to this link, scroll down to sounds like, and choose the second video.

I love feeling movement, it is probably one of the VERY coolest things about pregnancy. I haven't felt it since then and honestly i can't wait for my appt next Monday so I can hear the heartbeat. At the same time I am terrified. DH can't understand this.

As for twins I had a boss who had twins, her only pregnancy, she said never once did she feel them move. My mom had twins (me) and she felt us move a LOT. But that pretty much held true for our entire lives to this point. LOL.

I hope this baby is a mover like my first daughter. My second could stay still for so long, sometimes I wouldn't feel her for a day or so and I would freak out, and talk to her telling her to move or i would have to go in and make sure she was ok. When i was just about to go in to hear her heartbeat she would move, usually just once.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#23 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 12:05 PM

I felt something yesterday that made me think "boy, that feels just like when Akiva used to have hiccups." But it was all the way up under my right ribs, so I'm sure it was rhythmic gas. But I'm only 10 weeks, and I'm not complaining. I love feeling movement, but I know that once it starts there will be little rest for the weary.
#24 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 01:38 PM

Hey everyone, congratulations to all those who fell their babies move. I'm about 11wks not sure how many days but being my first I haven't felt anything, except cramps and ligament pains sometimes. I already have to wear a support because my lower back absolutely kills. I think though it's a combination of the pregnancy and years of being in the healthcare field lifting and transferring patients. But I can't wait to feel the baby move.

Does anyone here sleep or have one of those body support pillows? Lately I've been having horrible nights where I won't sleep after a certain hour until I have to get up. I feel like this would be a lifesaver.

Well I'm a little worried. A lot of you have said that your pants still fit. Mine not even a little. Sometimes I get depressed or guilty because of all the weight gain that I have, and I never gained weight. I was one of those people where I could eat and eat and never gain. Are any of you going through similar experiences? I hope so
#25 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 PM

Don't worry, Desperate! My pants didn't fit by 11 weeks with my first. I wasn't in maternity, but I went out and bought a bunch of bigger and elastic waist things.

I'm sorry your back is hurting! Smart to wear a support right away.

I have one of those little wedge pillows that I would wedge under my belly (lying on my side) when my belly was big last time and I looooooved it. I haven't started using it yet this time, but have been thinking it would be nice to put my top knee on a pillow, but there isn't really room. We're getting a king size bed in our new apartment and I can't wait!

If you are a small person it is natural that you will gain more weight in pregnancy. Your baby needs it. Embrace the glory!
#26 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 02:01 PM

Thanks CityKid, I feel much better now. Yeah even though I gained weight I'm absolutely loving everything about being pregnant. BTW we have a king size bed and I love it. Especially now that I'm pregnant and I can't sleep very well, I keep tossing and turning and dh doesn't have a clue. Although he could also sleep through WWIII if we had one...hehe. Right now it seems that my nausea has subsided but I only crave mexican food. All the time with extra salad. I know crazy
#27 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 03:11 PM

They said I seem like an ideal homebirth candidate, not only because I am low-risk in terms of health, but also because of how well read and confident I am about the issue of home birth in general.

They do have an OB who has been supportive of their patients in the past, he's on my insurance, AND he's taking new patients so I am going to make an appointment with him. The only thing I am worried about is telling my current practice that I'm switching. I know that it is my right, but I still get those anxious feelings when I have to do something like that.
#28 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 04:22 PM

Congrats to all the mommas feeling their babies move! With my first it wasn't until my 5th month, even then he was a very quiet baby in the womb. With my second I felt the flutters at 14wks, and he never stopped! Ended up with a cracked rib from it, took months for the pain to subside lol.

I saw the OB for the first time today. Heard the heartbeat!! I'm so relieved, lol. He said I'm measuring 13wks, I should only be 10? I go back week after next.
#29 of 63 Old 07-24-2008, 11:51 PM

I'm 11 weeks and could swear I felt the baby move already. It wasn't gas because mine feels like stabbing pains. I was laying on my side and it felt like bumper cars in my tummy - I put my hand on it to see if I could feel it from the outside and I couldn't. I'm not sure if it was my babe or my imagination, but I'm sure excited to feel it and know for sure.

I still fit in my jeans, but my tummy is growing. I have gone up a size in my bras already. That's a pretty nifty thing in my opinion since I wasn't big to begin with.

Heartbeat appointment - 11 days away. I will be so relieved to hear it.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#30 of 63 Old 07-25-2008, 12:11 AM

I'm so glad y'all are talking about just what I was concerned about. I love DDCs! I was going to start a "Who isn't showing yet?" thread, but here it is. I'm not really showing, although I have definitely let the tighter/higher rise pants and shorts migrate to the bottom of the pile. I guess I'm just feeling worried b/c I don't have an appt. with the doc until I am 13 weeks. Which is only a week and a half away...but I just need some feedback, you know? I feel a little silly, doubting this pregnancy, not trusting my body, etc. But, here I am, still wondering if there really is a little someone in there. I am still sleeping on my stomach at night, an aside from needing to pee two or three or four times/night, I don't feel any hard lump or anything in there. Reassure me, please. Well, you already have, with all the "my pants still fit" posts. Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page